He is a Friend After All

I Still Believe In Love

They headed to the café where Ella usually stays. Show remained gentleman and offered a seat to Ella. He is a good man, anyway. He was just asked by Selina and Hebe to act like a bold man in order to convince Ella in accepting Mr. Wu’s scheme.

“So, why are we here?” she said, stuttering. Show looked directly to her eyes and noticed that tears are about to fall. Little by little, he was able to induce that he is a bad boy to Ella.

“Are you going to accept Mr. Wu’s request?” he asked. Ella started to wonder where Show got that idea. He wasn’t inside the room when Mr. Wu gained consciousness. And he hasn’t even met Chun’s father, ever.

“Whaaa---I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Ella answered. It was hard for her to respond because she wasn’t sure if she would lie or she would tell the truth. Before Ella could speak another word, Show interrupted. “I know everything about you, Ella; every single detail about your life.”

Ella felt weak after hearing those words. Show is her stalker? What will he do to her? Her face is getting pale and her legs are starting to get numb. The man in front of her will bring her danger: that was what she thought. If only she knew that Show is here to help her, she would absolutely thank him.

“You had a relationship with a girl, right? You are a lesbian. Oh, let me say, you were a lesbian,” he said emphasizing on the word were. He paused for a while just to let Ella comprehend his words. “You are a terrific script writer. You are the only---“

“I thought you know a lot of things about me? Hey, everybody knows that I am a script writer. Do you know something very interesting about me that others don’t know?” she confidently said. But behind her brave-looking face is a girl who is so afraid of what might happen next.

“Can you please let me finish my sentence before you in?” Show said. He was a bit angry at her for cutting his shining moment but he remained calm and just smiled at her. She nodded and lowered her head as a sign of respect to the speaker. Show continued speaking. All of the information he knows came from Selina and Hebe. They introduced him about the life of Ella weeks ago before he entered the scene. All the efforts of Selina and Hebe finally worked. Show was able to narrate the story of Ella in full details.

“Okay, so what do you really want from me?” Ella was a bit irritated with the way he narrated her life story. She thought that Show was a spy from the other production company. But her imagination didn’t exceed even more when Show uttered three delirious words, “Marry Wu Chun.”

“What?!? You are here to say that to me? Gosh, I have heard that a thousand times before! Please, stop!” Ella started to cry a bucket of tears. Making Ella cry wasn’t part of Show’s plan. But since he made a mistake, it’s better if he would continue acting like a dire man.

“Yes, I want you to marry Chun! You know what? I’m sure that you only want Chun’s money that’s why you’re with him. So grab the chance of being rich, Ella! Marry him!” He really didn’t want to hurt Ella this much. He is also a man who can fall in love with another girl, and seeing the lady in front of him crying her heart out makes him feel so stupid and dumb. But he didn’t have a choice. Wilber warned him that he would take the life of Show’s girlfriend, Rainie, if he will not follow him.

“You don’t have the right to take over my life! I will be the one to decide the path I would take. Sure, I love him. But I am not ready to face a new life with him. I still love Se—“ Ella couldn’t believe what she has just said. She still loves Selina? I don’t think so. Ella is still confused with her feelings. She doesn’t love Selina anymore. And after all, her feelings for Selina couldn’t be called as love. It’s purely infatuation. A man is made for a woman, and a woman is for a man. There was never in the language of love to have feelings towards the same gender.

“You still love?” Show asked. He knew it was Selina, but he wanted to add thrill to his acting that’s why he wanted to hear that word come out from Ella’s mouth again. “Selina,” she repeated. Ella got irritated even more that’s why she grabbed the glass of punch and drank all its contents. Show reminded her to relax and stop drinking because she might get tipsy at that time of the day.

“You don’t love her, Ella. You love Chun, Wu Chun.” Show said. Ella looked at him with her puffy eyes. She wanted to believe him, but she wanted to control her feelings. Remember, she is a man-hater. Her perspective of love is always related to getting hurt. She hasn’t been into a romantic relationship with a man before because she was afraid of rejection in the end. She thought that having a boyfriend is something that would lead to stress and unhappy life. But Chun proved her wrong. He has been by her side in times of trouble. He’s always willing to lend his shoulder when Ella feels like the world is against her.

“You know what,” and she sipped a little of champagne. “Love is like a drug; it’s addicting and can even kill the strongest.” Show was struck with those words. He didn’t expect the woman in front of him, who never had a serious relationship in her whole life, say those deep expressions.

“Ella, I think you’ve had enough of that liquor. It would be better if I bring you home.” At that time, Show didn’t mind if he succeeded with his plan or not. He just considered Ella’s condition and he wanted to make sure that she will not be in danger. So he stood up and guided Ella to the exit. Before he could open the door, Ella lost all her weight and fell flat on the floor. Good thing Show was able to pick her up abruptly. “Ella, Ella! Wake up!” He slapped her repeatedly until she was able to open her eyes. “I would bring you home now. Come on.”

While they were on the car, Show kept on stealing glances to Ella. He was sorry for hurting her, but he’s also afraid that his girlfriend would get hurt. “Ella, I’m really sorry. But I’m doing this for you and for my girl as well. We will both benefit from this. I’ll be happy if you find real happiness with Chun. He is really lucky to have you. You are such a great woman; a woman with dignity and respect for yourself and others,” Show whispered while driving their way back to the hospital. Wait, to the hospital? It isn’t a good plan. No one among the people inside Mr. Wu’s room knows that Ella has been taken away by Show. “Okay, I need to bring her to her pad. But how? I don’t even know her address.” Show parked his car and thought of how he would bring Ella home, safe and sound. He grabbed Ella’s bag hoping that he would find something that would solve his problem. Alas! He found Ella’s wallet and found her complete address. So he quickly started the engine and drove to Ella’s house. They reached the place and Ella’s still sleeping. He tried to wake her up, but she was like an angel silently sleeping and dreaming about wonderland.

Show went out of the car and rang the doorbell. He didn’t know that Ella lives alone. After ringing the doorbell for three times, he still hasn’t heard a response. He tried to open the gate and found out that Ella left the gate unlocked. Ella heard from the car the screech created by the gate. She went out of the car and was shocked to see Show standing by her house. “Why are you here?” she asked, still tipsy. “I brought you home because you got drunk after consuming five glasses of Margarita. Yeah, glasses, not shots.”

“Oh, well. Thank you! But why are we together, anyway?” She asked. Ella was really drunk to the point that she has forgotten everything they have discussed. So for short, all the efforts of Show were put into waste. But it isn’t the end of story for him.

“What? You forgot everything?!?” Show screamed his heart out. He punched the wall and Ella suddenly felt anxious. “What? Why? I don’t understand anything, I’m sorry.”

Show remained quiet as he tried to control his temper. After a few seconds, he was ready to face Ella again. “Nevermind, Ella. I need to leave now. I just wanted to make sure that you’re okay. Rest, okay? I’ll just give you a call when I’m free. We are not yet done with our business,” and he left.
Ella watched the car leave and she felt a bit relaxed now. The truth is she isn’t drunk at all. She’s just tired that’s why she has fallen asleep on their way home. She remembers every detail of their conversation back then. And she is still trying to grasp the real reason of Show’s agenda. She has heard every single word Show said while they were in the car.

Ella thought about it for a moment and entered the house as soon as she felt her legs shiver. She the lights and found a bouquet of flowers on top of her dining table. She looked around the house to search if someone was inside. But she didn’t find another shadow aside from her own. So she picked up the flowers and found a card attached to it. “Chun,” the name she found at the end of the card.

“His father is in a bad condition and he still has the guts to send me this bouquet?” she said to herself. Yes, she was happy. But another part of her felt disappointed because she felt like Chun wasn’t prioritizing his dad. Before things could turn into trouble, she heard a knock from the door. It was the same man who helped Selina and Hebe with their plan. “Wilber?” she opened the door widely as a sign of welcome to her guest.

“What brings you here?” Ella asked after a few seconds of awkward silence. Wilber looked around her place and seemed to be scanning for some changes, but he didn’t find any so he quickly turned his attention to Ella. “Sorry, but what were you saying?”

She repeated the question. But this time, loud and clear. It was loud enough to catch Wilber’s full attention. “I just wanted to pay you a visit. How’s Chun?” he asked. Ella didn’t know what to say. Throughout the course of Mr. Wu’s hospitalization, she thought that Wilber knew about it. Her expression led to Wilber’s next question, “Is there something wrong?”

Ella related the whole story to Wilber. Tears started falling from her eyes and Wilber asked her to stop narrating the story already because he didn’t want to see her crying. At the back of his mind, he wanted to tell the lady in front of him that everybody, including him, is just testing the couple—or rather Chun and Ella—if they are really true to their feelings.

After hours of non-stop conversation, Wilber decided to leave Ella alone. So he peacefully left and headed his way to the hospital where the two ladies are waiting. Ella, who is still in a state of shock, started pondering about the current situation she is into.

“This could have not happened if I didn’t break up with Selina,” she thought. After saying those words, feelings started to form again. But this time, a little bit of bitterness was included. She knew that her relationship with Selina is not legal, but she really loves the presence of this lady. She grabbed her phone and dialed a familiar number; a number she usually phones when she’s in trouble.

“Hello? Selina,” Ella was afraid and kind of excited to hear Selina’s voice. “Hey Ella! How are you?” Selina worriedly asked. They only realized that Ella wasn’t with them for a couple of hours already when she called. “I’m fine. I just went home without asking your permission because everyone was busy assisting Mr. Wu,” her sad reply. Hebe heard a part from their conversation and started to laugh silently.

“Would you mind if we go out for some snacks?” Ella asked. In a span of ten seconds, Selina was able to think of another plan to twist the whole story. “Are you trying to woo me again?”

“Uh, no. I have Ch— Of course not!” she lied. But deep down her heart, she still has some feelings left for Selina, the girl she loved the most. “I just wanted to clear some things. You know, some things that we haven’t discussed that much,” she continued.

“Relationship? Ella, I have something important to tell you. Okay, I’ll meet up with you at the nearest restaurant here. It’s located right beside the hospital. 20 minutes will do?” Selina smiled at Hebe, who was still clueless about her plan. Ella agreed and started to change for their meet-up. Since she was about to have a “date” with Selina, she wore clothes which she normally used—trousers and tee.

Selina mouthed the word “” to Hebe. Good thing Hebe was smart enough to get and comprehend Selina’s new plan. “So are you into this?” Selina asked Hebe. She then agreed to her so called boss and they entered the room of Mr. Wu, with sadness in their faces so that Chun wouldn’t be aware of their plan.