Sacrifice For Love

I Still Believe In Love

She grabbed her trousers and her favorite shirt, which was given to her by Selina on their fourth monthsary. “This will do,” she said as she posed in front of the mirror. While preparing for the meet up, she constantly checks her mobile if there’s a message from Selina. Unfortunately, all the messages she kept on receiving are from anonymous people. Minutes later, she checked her phone again and realized that she has already spent 15 minutes out of the 20 minutes Selina has given her to get ready. So she quickly went off to the streets and even forgot to lock the door of her place.

12 minutes, 26 seconds and 45 nanoseconds—the time it took her to reach the place. Imagine how fast she was, thinking that if one would take a cab from Ella’s place to the restaurant, it would take 25 minutes, more or less? She entered the restaurant, but felt a different ambiance on it. Ella was still gasping for air, but when she saw Selina approaching, she went back to her normal self. “You look so tired, Ella. Anything wrong?” Selina asked. Ella failed to hide her real stance and admitted to Selina that she ran her way just to reach the restaurant. Knowing this, Selina immediately led the way to their table.

“Ella, I have something important to tell you. You can’t have a relationship with…” Before she could finish, Ella continued the sentence for her. “What are you trying to say? Are you one of the thousands who will do anything just to break my relationship with Chun?”

“You don’t understand anything, Ella!”

“Again? I don’t understand anything? I am the one in the relationship, not you, Selina!” and Ella’s voice started to rise. Selina didn’t bother to think of what to say and she in saying, “Yes! You don’t know anything. You don’t know everything about Chun, his family, his career, his perso—“
“So you think you know everything about him, huh?” Ella stood up and took a step backward. “I work for him, remember? So it clearly means that I know a lot of things about him. So please, listen to me.” Selina tried to calm down and gathered all her senses. This is all part of her test, so there is actually no need to shout at Ella. But she found it quite amazing seeing Ella so defensive when it comes to love. Hearing those words, Ella decided to stay put and listen attentively to Selina.

“I’m doing this for the sake of our friendship, Selina. But remember, if this would lead to our break up, you will definitely pay for all your mistakes,” Ella warned. Selina felt at ease knowing that Ella really values Chun. Selina agreed in defeat. So she started relating her intention. No, I mean, her bunch of lies.

“Ella, remember your brother?”

“What about him? He’s gone now. He died a few years ago. So please, don’t include him in the story. He’s not part of my love life now.”
“That’s not my point! Ella, can you please listen to me even for this moment only? First things first, your brother is not dead. Second,” Selina gripped the table cloth and continued, “Your long-lost brother is no other than my boss, Chun.” Ella was about to swallow the food but unfortunately, she choked herself. She tried to absorb every detail that Selina has mentioned.

“This is not a good joke, Selina!” Again, she stood up and walked out. But Selina grabbed her hand and asked her to stay for further explanation. At first, Ella refused to stay and even cursed Selina for doing this to her. But Selina tolerated the pain Ella has brought her and thought that it’s really part of her big plan. In the end, Ella stayed and continued listening to Selina.

“Your brother, or Chun, I must say, was able to survive the car accident. After your photo exhibit, he went out with his friends. They partied all night and went home drunk. As far as I remember, Chun was the one who drove the car. They were already in their first destination, but unfortunately, Chun lost his senses causing them to have a car accident. Chun was the only one who was saved. Impossible, isn’t it? He was the one who was driving, so basically, he should be the first or rather the one with the worst condition. Ella, you’re really lucky to have a companion now. Your brother is back to protect you. So I’m begging you, end your relationship with him now.”

No words can explain Ella’s feelings right now. She wanted to get mad at Selina for keeping the secret for the longest time, but she also wanted to thank her for informing her about this. It’s never too late after all. Ella also wanted to get angry at Chun for pretending to be another person. But she really loves him so much to the point that she can’t even raise her voice to him. Tears started flowing from her eyes and even Selina cried with her. Everything has stopped until Ella realized something.

“But Selina,” and she let out a sigh. “He doesn’t look like my brother at all.” True enough, Chun doesn’t resemble Ella’s dead brother at all. “Oops, I forgot to think about this! I’m dead! Hebe, where are you? I need you!” Selina said to herself.

“Uh, Ella. Uh.. It’s like this.. He… hadundergonesurgerydaysaftertheaccidentthat’swhy,” Selina said stuttering. Ella didn’t understand a single word. It wasn’t a word, anyway. “What were you saying? Don’t talk to fast!”

“He. Had. Undergone. Surgery. Days. After. The. Accident.” Selina repeated emphasizing every word. In the first place, Ella isn’t that stupid not to differentiate reality from wishful thinking. She’s pretty much sure that there is something going on. And worse is she is a hundred and one percent that it’s not a good plan. She looked at Selina directly to her eyes. It showed signs of disgrace. But Ella tried to control her feelings just to know what is really behind all these.

“I’m breaking up with Chun already,” Ella said. By this time, she wasn’t stressed anymore. She has gathered all her senses and apprehended that Selina is not telling the truth. “Go ahead!” Selina proudly said.

Ella then got her mobile and dialed Chun’s number. “Wait!” Selina held Ella’s hand and stopped her from calling Chun. “Don’t tell him that you already know the secret, okay?” Ella agreed to her. As a dear friend, she didn’t want to embarrass Selina. Even though she has something behind her mind, Ella didn’t want to hurt Selina back. She smiled to her as she waited for Chun on the other line.

“Hello? Ella, where are you?” Chun sweetly asked. Ella didn’t reply. She was afraid to say the next three words knowing that everything would change after that. Chun doesn’t know anything that’s why he will definitely think that Ella doesn’t love him anymore. Ella didn’t know which person she would give importance to—the man of her dreams or the woman who stayed with her through the years?

“Let’s break up.” Ella ended the call afterwards. She didn’t want to hear Chun’s reaction. She didn’t want to hurt him more. Selina’s face turned a little reddish because of the pain she’s feeling for her dear friend.

Chun, on the other hand, stood still after hearing those words. He doesn’t have any idea why Ella would do that. Why did she add to the long list of his stressors? His dad is in the hospital and now Ella’s leaving him? This can’t be happening. He gave Ella a return call, but every time he dials her
number, she seems to ignore his calls.

“I’m sorry, Ella,” Selina whispered. But it was not that soft and Ella even heard it. “You don’t have to be sorry, Selina. You’ve done so much for me. I should be the one saying sorry for causing you too much trouble.” Ella hugged Selina and asked her permission if she could leave already. Ella can’t bear the pain of Selina lying to her. She left the restaurant as fast as she could. Selina just watched her leave because she has realized that she was wrong after all. Ella and Chun really love each other, and that’s enough for her to stop this evil plan.

“Hello, Hebe? I need you right now. Meet me at the restaurant beside the hospital.”

Few minutes later, Selina saw Hebe approaching. Hebe noticed Selina’s puffy eyes and asked her what’s wrong. She narrated the whole story and even Hebe felt sad about Ella’s condition right now.

“Hebe, I knew I was wrong. Am I being so selfish? Or I am just protecting my friend?”

“Of course not!” Hebe held Selina’s hand. “You’re a great friend, Selina. You’ve done that because of your love for Ella. Please, stop crying. We can handle this.”

They stayed there for two hours but within those times, they didn’t even mention a single word. Hebe was so busy looking at Selina and examining her feelings. On the other hand, Selina was busy twirling the pasta she ordered. She didn’t dare to eat even a single bite.

Meanwhile, Ella rushed back to her pad. When she reached her place, she immediately went to bed and tucked herself. She couldn’t control the tears from flowing. She wanted to confront Chun right now and tell him that everything is a lie. But she knew that he is still in a state of shock. “I’ll give him more time…” she said as she closed her eyes.

Memories of them together kept flashing on his mind—their first meeting, their sweet talks, her irresistible voice, and her unfathomable concern for him. She’s so perfect for him. She is such a hard working photographer and Chun is a very responsible CEO. Now, what happened? He can’t let go of her. Why? Mainly because he is a big part of her life. He was able to change the homoual Ella to the ever loving girlfriend of his now, I mean, ex-girlfriend. He saw a bottle of wine a few steps away from him. Before grabbing the bottle, he remembered Ella’s words. “Don’t drink too much, Chun! Don’t make me worry so much. I love you!”

“But she doesn’t care about me anymore, so what’s the matter if I get drunk?” So he got a glass and carried the bottle with him. He stayed at the veranda area of the hospital. That’s the only place where he could think and relax all by himself.

Ella, still crying, suddenly thought of the fact that Chun might be drinking alcohol again. Well, she’s right. And in fact, Chun is almost tipsy right now. “This shouldn’t be happening if I didn’t follow Selina!” She threw all her pillows on the floor and lost her temper making her grab the small sharp thing, the blade. Knowing Ella, she never wanted to have sharp objects near her. She’s Hematophobic, or a person who has fear of blood. “Chun wouldn’t mind, anyway.” She thought. She took a deep breath and little by little, placed the blade on her wrist. “There’s always a first time for everything,” she said before slashing herself. It just created a mark, but there was no blood. “Chun, I’m sorry. You don’t know what I’m going through right now.” Ella lost her consciousness afterwards.

He looked up the sky hoping that he would see the face of Ella. He really can’t resist a day without hearing her voice. For every drop of alcohol that enters his body, the more he feels guilty for hurting Ella. “If you have a problem, you know I’m always here to listen. But why did you do this?” He poured more wine and drank the contents as fast as he could.

The refreshing breeze at that time reminded him of the times when they were still on the park. It was indeed one of the most memorable moments of his life. Spending a night with the very special person in your life while you hear the sound of the wind and the birds chirping? Who could ever forget that?

“Ella, I’m sorry for not completing your life. I know that you think I’m not the perfect man for you. But soon, you will realize that we are really meant for each other. Time, space, and understanding—we need that. I’m sure that you will realize how much we need each other’s presence. I don’t know how I will face the next days without you. Remember when you told me that love adds color to life? Well then, how will you be able to make beautiful pictures if you’re hurt? Come back to me, please?” he murmured. If this is the effect of the wine, well he’s really drunk right now.

Minutes later, a lady in white came across him. She’s very beautiful. Her features are like Ella’s. “Ella!” He ran as fast as he could, but when the lady turned around, she just gave him a disgusted look. He apologized to the lady and silently went back to the veranda. He went back to his father’s room to get another bottle of wine. He should thank the other bosses of the company for bringing a lot of wine for his father. But instead of his father consuming the wine, he is the one enjoying every drop of it. After drinking a bottle and a half of wine, Chun fell flat on the floor.

Selina and Hebe went back to the hospital. They didn’t find Chun inside his father’s room. Everybody there was sleeping. “Where is he? It’s really my fault!” Selina cursed herself. “Stop saying that, Selina! The best thing we should do now is find Chun and explain everything to him!” So they searched for him around the hospital and after some time, they found a man lying on the floor with a bottle of wine in his hand.

“Oh my, Chun!” They both screamed and went near him. They tried to wake him up but he really drank too much that even if you pour water on him, he wouldn’t wake up. Selina hugged him tightly and apologized for what she has done. Hebe hugged Selina as well as a sign of support for her friend. “I will fix everything, Chun. I promise,” Selina whispered.