Stage 2: Realization

Give Me A Chance

"Not my towel. You are not going to use my towel." Himchan pointed at Yongguk threateningly as he was about to reach toward Himchan's body towel which was lying messily by the edge of the bed.

"Calm down, I don't possess a contagious virus." Yongguk grabbed the towel anyway and hung it on his shoulders. "Besides, don't you think sharing a towel is romantic?"

"It's ing gross." Himchan crossed his arms in front of his chest and gave his best friend a look of distaste.

Yongguk scoffed and headed toward Himchan's bathroom. "This is why you stay single," he said before closing the door behind him with a small thud.

"This is why you stay single!" Himchan yelled after him, "And don't in my bathroom, I swear to god, Yongguk."

Himchan heard a muffled sound from behind the bathroom door which is pretty much probably Yongguk chuckling to himself. Himchan rolled his eyes and proceeded cleaning after the mess his group mates had left behind after finishing their project.

It was already twelve fourteen in the evening, and the kids had left about thirty minutes ago with everyone looking like they're ready to pass out right then and there. On the other hand, Yongguk who was living pretty far from their district was effortlessly convinced by Himchan's mom to just crash in for the evening since it was dangerous to travel at this ungodly hour of the night.

 

 

 

Himchan's eyes had widened, glancing back and forth between his mother and the grinning Yongguk. "Mom, no—"

"Sure, Mrs. Kim, I'm scared to go alone, anyway." Yongguk intercepted, nudging Himchan's side.

Himchan shot him a look.

"Then it's settled!" Mrs. Kim clapped her hands together once, wearing her best smile.

"Mom, Yongguk's a grown up for pete's sakes, he can get himself home just fine," Himchan pointed out with a scowl. "Plus you turned our guest room into a library no one even uses."

"Then he'll sleep in your room, no big deal, stop fussing," Mrs. Kim scolded. "Now, go back upstairs and get some rest, it's midnight." She shooed, spinning on her heel to head back to her kitchen before Himchan could go further with his protests.

Yongguk's smile hadn't left his face which all but looked extremely stupid to Himchan. "I am going to shower first." Yongguk announced before adjusting the bag on his shoulder and flashing back up the stairs.

Himchan narrowed his eyes, huffing in annoyance before trudging after Yongguk to the second floor.

Himchan didn't mind letting anyone stay in his room as long as it was not by anyone who went by name Yongguk. Because aside from the fact that Yongguk was never neat with even just his own things, Himchan just obviously couldn't sleep in the same bed with a guy—and that's a given no matter if you call him your best friend.

Himchan wanted to punch himself in the face.

 

 

 

Himchan's already plopped on the bed and was about to doze off at any second when the bathroom door clicked open. Yongguk came out, drying his damp hair with Himchan's towel, and wearing a strangely familiar black wife beater (which showed off his biceps and triceps and all of those other 'ceps' that Himchan really didn't want to bother naming ever) and grey sweatpants (which emphasized the shape of his hips that could distract a horse on a race anytime.)

Himchan propped himself up with his elbows, sleepy squinted eyes trying to morph into a hard glare—but failing. "Are those my clothes?" Himchan's voice was raspy as he struggled to fight his drowsiness.

Yongguk looked down at his outfit, smiling sheepishly. "Yeah," he admitted, smoothing the front of the tank top with a steady hand. "My stay was unplanned so I didn't get to bring some pajamas and kinda raided your closet. You don't mind, right?"

Himchan made a small sound in the back his throat which basically either meant 'okay' or ' off'. He stifled a yawn before lying on his back again, the comfort of his mattresses winning him over. "You look... good..."

Yongguk stopped in his tracks, astounded.

Himchan probably wouldn't have said that but he was already in a groggy and all-facades-temporarily-gone state (and was just completely being honest) so he didn't find Yongguk irritating at the moment (because he does all the time even without reason.)

"You're wearing my clothes... that's... totally cute," Himchan went on, incoherent, as he scooted and hogged all the blankets to one side of the bed, his back to Yongguk as he unconsciously made space for the other.

Three seconds later, Himchan was snoring softly.

Yongguk had to suppress all kinds of smiles or grins or chuckles then because , Himchan was so ing adorable.

He walked toward Himchan's side of the bed and loomed over the sleeping man. "So should I wear your clothes more often?" He said with a slight chuckle as he tucked Himchan in his blanket properly. "Goodnight, sleeping beauty."

It wasn't Yongguk's first time seeing Himchan asleep (since he slept all the time during free periods and lunch breaks at school wherever possible) but it was his first time seeing Himchan completely remote and unconscious and seemingly so much at peace, his worry lines and creases replaced by a placid expression.

Yongguk thought he liked Himchan most in this state—where nothing seemed to be bothering him, where there were no problems or school to take care of, where his delicate features that were too pretty to belong to a male were emphasized (where he wasn't all over the place scolding Yongguk for being a lazy donker or whatever that is.) Yongguk knew Himchan was always the vulnerable one, the fragile one despite of how much he showed off a grumpy front. This time, though, the other had a bearable look on his face.

With a small smile, Yongguk brushed off the hair on Himchan's eyes and poked on his cheek.

 

 

 

The next morning, Himchan drifted into consciousness with his face nuzzled on someone's neck.

Instinctively, he inhaled sharply, breathing in a familiar scent which suddenly seemed intoxicating up this close. He felt arms wrapped around his waist gripping on his side and a face pressed on the crown of his head. With heavy lidded eyes, he also noticed his own hand was on top of someone's stomach as his blanket both covered their lower halves. Still in his half-awake state, Himchan closed his eyes again and involuntarily crept closer because of the comfort and contentment he was feeling around Yongguk's arms.

...Yongguk's arms?

Himchan's eyes shot open in realization, all the doziness draining away from his system. He frantically pulled away from Yongguk's warm embrace, almost toppling down from the bed as he tried to stumble himself up in a flash.

He stood at the side of the bed, panic evident on his face. He clutched on his chest because that was how hard his heart was suddenly pulsating, and the beat was a disturbing repetitious ring in his ears. His breathing was fast, shallow and uneven as he stared at the sleeping figure on his bed.

Yongguk's eyebrows twitched when Himchan moved away from him but other than that he didn't stir or made any other movement. Yongguk had always been the heavy sleeper—which Himchan was pretty grateful about. He couldn't calm himself with a sleeping Yongguk then, what more with him awake?

Himchan always had these frequent strange feelings of being so scared and awkward all by himself whenever Yongguk did those things he did whenever they're together—Himchan couldn't quite pinpoint exactly which are those, but he knew Yongguk was the only one who made him want to bury himself underground for eternity. And Himchan also knew very well that those feelings weren't as strong as it was now.

Himchan placed a closed fist on his lips; gaze still fixated on the sunlight that was bouncing on Yongguk's face through his bedroom window. "This is so ed up," he breathed.

His chest was still heaving when he started pacing across his room, trying to get rid of the anxiousness he was feeling. He buried his face in his hands at one point and stopped in front of his full-body mirror by his wardrobe closet. "Oh ." His hands travelled up to his forehead, to his hair until it reached the back of his neck. "I’m straight." He nodded at his reflection on the mirror, trying to convince himself. "I'm as a straight as a damn flagpole."

Himchan assumed he had finally established that fact between him and the mirror until his eyes fell once again on the reflection of the sleeping bundle that is Yongguk in Himchan's bed, in Himchan's clothes, in Himchan's personal space that he never had shared with anyone else until then. Just the two of them. Together. Alone.

Himchan groaned quite loudly despite of himself.

His hands made way to his face again, this time placing it on his cheeks, as his panicked bickers died down to murmurs of insensible things about how he liked girls so much and how he found s really attractive. He sized up himself in the mirror with furrowed eyebrows.

As vain and cocky as it sounds, Himchan could always admit that he's pretty good looking without having to exert much effort about it. He heard it all the time from other people too, either from peers or relatives, and he mentally replies with 'Yeah, I know' because yeah, he knew. He was flawless and pretty and classy and what a waste it would be if he's... If he's...

Himchan's thoughts faltered as his gaze fell on the lower area of his reflection. Then his face distorted into something between terror and surprise at was he saw.

Morning wood.

"Oh my god." Himchan gulped down another groan before darting toward his bathroom and locking himself up securely.