Chapter Five: Revelations

Identical Strangers

 

It was Friday evening; Kwangmin was getting dressed to go to see Youngmin for dinner. As he got dressed Kwangmin kept thinking about the kiss he and Youngmin shared the other day at the park, it was unlike him to kiss someone he didn’t know, yet at the same time it felt so right.

He was concerned with where things might lead; after all he loves Ryeowook very much and doesn’t want to hurt him like he once hurt L.Joe. He feared what might happen if his life leads down the road to another guy, while L.Joe was weak and was only still here because he and Ryeowook saved him, Kwangmin knew Ryeowook was even weaker and he feared if anything happened he might not be able to save him.

Kwangmin needed someone to talk to, so once he was dressed he called L.Joe and asked if they could get together this weekend and talk. L.Joe agreed and they set a time, they would meet midway between Seoul and his hometown where L.Joe still lived.

Kwangmin was now ready to head to see Youngmin, he texted Ryeowook and told him he would be home by eleven and that he loved him.

 

Ryeowook was still at work when he got the text message; he read it and texted back a simple “okay” and put his phone down. He couldn’t forget the kiss his boyfriend shared with Youngmin, he was worried he might lose his boyfriend, after all, Kwangmin has a history of leaving someone he loved for another guy, and he was once the other guy.

It was then that it finally occurred to him for the first time. Obviously the two looked so much alike, but why do they have similar names, is it really that coincidental he wondered. He grabbed his phone and dialed his firm’s investigator, he asked if he could stop by his office tonight, the man agreed and said he could be there in twenty minutes since he was still in the building.

Fifteen minutes later Kim Hee-chul entered his office. He stood and shook hands with the man and asked him to sit.

“I need an investigation, it’s not company related and I will pay you with my own funds for the job” Ryeowook said.

“That shouldn’t be a problem, though I will have to get approval from the company before I can move forward, but I will get the information you have now and call you tomorrow” Heechul said.

“Great. Okay, my boyfriend Jo Kwang Min met someone recently who looks identical to him. He has no idea who he is, his name is Youngmin, that’s pretty much all we know. What I need is to find out if this guy has any possible relation to Kwangmin. It just seems too coincidental that two people who look alike and who have such similar names could be just identical strangers” Ryeowook said.

That shouldn’t be too difficult, I would start with talking to Kwangmin’s parents to see if they know of any relatives around the same age that they might not have seen in some time” Heechul replied.

“Is it possible to do without talking to his parents” Ryeowook asked.

“I guess it could be done, might be more difficult though” Heechul replied.

“I prefer to go that route to avoid worrying anyone” Ryeowook said.

“Okay, what is Kwangmin’s birth date” Heechul asked.

“He was born April 24, 1995” Ryeowook replied.

“I will call you in the morning and let you know if I can proceed, after that I should know something within a week” Heechul said.

“Thanks” Ryeowook said as he stood and shook Heechul’s hand.

 

Kwangmin arrived at Youngmin’s place right on time. He was greeted by a smiling Youngmin who invited him in. They sat on the couch for a bit making small talk before Youngmin invited him to the dining room for dinner.

Youngmin served a delicious looking dinner and sat down with Kwangmin.

“Thank you for coming tonight” Youngmin said.

“Thank you for having me. I should apologize for the other day” Kwangmin said.

“What for, the kiss” Youngmin replied.

“Yes” Kwangmin said as he blushed.

“No reason to apologize, it was a great kiss” Youngmin said.

“Perhaps, but we both have boyfriends, we shouldn’t have done it” Kwangmin said.

“I know, but there’s something about you that makes me feel good” Youngmin said.

“Like we are soul mates” Kwangmin asked.

“Something like that, I just feel we were meant to be together” Youngmin said.

“I don’t think that’s possible, I love my boyfriend very much” Kwangmin replied.

The two continued to eat and continued their conversation. Youngmin was looking at Kwangmin and that made him feel a bit uncomfortable, but at the same time, it made him feel good inside. Kwangmin was getting very confused.

After dinner they returned to the sitting room and sat on the couch. Youngmin brought some coffee and poured them each a cup. They drank and took turns talking about their boyfriends. Youngmin mentioned that Yesung was on a business trip to Tokyo and would be back Monday. Just then Youngmin leaned in and kissed Kwangmin, at first he was surprised, but soon kissed back, it wasn’t until Youngmin began feeling around on his pants that Kwangmin jumped back and announced he should leave.

“Do you really need to go now” Youngmin asked.

“Yes, my boyfriend will be expecting me soon” Kwangmin replied.

“We were just starting to have fun” Youngmin protested.

“”I’m not sure I can give you what you want, you may take your relationships lightly, but I don’t” Kwangmin responded.

“I love my boyfriend, I really do, but I need you, I don’t know why, but I do” Youngmin said.

“I think we should end this for now, we can meet again soon” Kwangmin said as he rushed to the door.

 

Ryeowook was at his desk the next morning; he was upset about the previous evening. When Kwangmin came home he acted so cold towards Ryeowook and even slept in the guest room. When Ryeowook went in this morning to say goodbye and give him a kiss, Kwangmin yelled at him to get out.

As he was recalling last night’s events his phone rang. Heechul was calling about their previous meeting. He had permission to do the investigation and had already made some calls. He found some records already for a Jo Kwang Min born on the date given to him, he was heading out soon to review the records and see what he could learn from them, he promised to call back soon.

Ryeowook was pleased with how swift this might progress. He pushed aside his paperwork and took out his organizer and looked up the number for Youngmin, he needed to know why Kwangmin was upset after their dinner last night.

He talked to Youngmin for about ten minutes but got no information from him, he grew more concerned and sighed. Just then his secretary came in and told him it was time to head to his meeting, he grabbed what he needed and headed out the door.

 

Kwangmin finally rolled out of bed. He felt so ashamed that he almost cheated on Ryeowook, the kiss with Youngmin felt so good and when he touched his body, he felt even better, he almost let Youngmin continue without objection.

He went and took a shower, once he was clean he returned to his room to find some clothes, instead he fell to the corner and cried. He remained there for several hours.

 

L.Joe was worried, his friend didn’t show up and he wasn’t answering his phone, he decided to go into Seoul and go to his house. The drive took a little while, but he finally arrived. He knocked on the door for five minutes without a response, he grew more concerned now, he checked the door and it was unlocked, so he let himself in. He called out for Kwangmin as he looked around; finally he checked the bedroom and found Kwangmin in the corner, and crying.

He ran to his friend and knelt beside him and asked what was wrong, upon seeing L.Joe he cried even harder. L.Joe grabbed a bathrobe and helped Kwangmin up, he wrapped it around him and tied it off and led him to the living room and sat him on the couch, he sat next to him and held him in his arms as he cried.

 

Back at the office Ryeowook finally got out of his meeting. As he returned to his office he grabbed his messages and looked through them and saw one from Heechul.

The message said he might have found something and to call him as soon as possible. Ryeowook went right for his phone and dialed.

“Hi this is Ryeowook, what did you find” Ryeowook asked.

“Well the document that I found was an adoption report; Jo Kwang Min was adopted on April 26, 1995 when he was two days old. His birth mother died during child birth, she had no family and the father was not in the picture so the child was placed for adoption” Heechul said.

“So he could have a brother” Ryeowook asked.

“It’s possible, I am on my way now to the town he was born, there I might be able to find birth documents and see if another child was born that day” Heechul announced.

Heechul said he would call back later and ended the call.

Ryeowook decided he had enough and transferred his office line to his cell and headed home.

As he pulled up to his house he saw a car he didn’t recognize, he parked and headed in, as he walked through the door he called out for Kwangmin.

“We’re in here” yelled L.Joe.

Ryeowook ran to the sitting room to see what was going on. There he found Kwangmin still crying. He approached and as he did Kwangmin ran out of the room and locked himself in the guest room. Ryeowook sighed and sat with L.Joe.

“What’s going on” Ryeowook asked L.Joe.

“I’m not sure. He called last night and asked to meet today, when he didn’t show up, I drove here to make sure he was okay. When I arrived I found him in your bedroom on the floor and crying. I helped him up and put his robe on him and sat him out here, he’s just been crying in my arms since” L.Joe told Ryeowook

Ryeowook thanked L.Joe for coming and insisted he spend the night. He then headed to the guest room and used his master key to open the door, he went inside and sat on the bed next to his boyfriend.

“It doesn’t matter what happened sweetie, I will always love you, so if your afraid I will be mad at you, you don’t have to worry” Ryeowook announced.

“He kissed me again” Kwangmin said through tears.

“It’s okay, we kiss many other guys, and it’s not that big of a deal” Ryeowook announced.

“But then he touched me, I pushed him away, but I didn’t want to” Kwangmin replied as his crying increased.

“But you did push away, you have nothing to be ashamed of” Ryeowook said as he kissed his boyfriend on the forehead.

“I don’t know why I feel the need to be with him” Kwangmin cried out.

“I may know why, but I can’t say yet, not until I know for sure” Ryeowook said.

“What do you know” Kwangmin demanded.

“I won’t say anything until I know everything, I’m sorry” Ryeowook said.

Kwangmin whimpered as he sat there. Ryeowook held him and kissed him and told him everything would be okay. Seeing that Kwangmin was exhausted from the crying he laid him down on the bed and told him to take a nap, he kissed him again and left the room.

 

Youngmin sat at his table, he knows he made a mistake, but he don’t feel bad. He knows he should have told Ryeowook what happened, but he was afraid what he might do. Most of all he knew he needed to tell Yesung that he wanted to be with Kwangmin, it would crush Yesung, but he needed to tell him.

He sent Yesung a text message and asked when he would be home Monday. He told him they should have dinner together if possible. Yesung replied he would be back early Monday and would take the day off to be with him, he promised a nice dinner at home.

 

Ryeowook was sitting with L.Joe when his phone rang. He excused himself to his room and took the call.

“I can confirm that another baby was born that day and indeed it was Jo Young Min. He was born several minutes before Kwang Min. When they were adopted they were adopted they both kept their birth names that their mother had chosen for them before their birth. Coincidently, Kwang Min’s adoptive family was also named Jo, however Youngmin’s family’s name is Choi, he may know he was adopted, but its not clear what he might have been told. Youngmin grew up in Seoul” Heechul said.

“Wow, so they are brothers, I was guessing as much, but its still shocking to have it confirmed” Ryeowook said.

“I can still look around and try finding more information if you like” Heechul announced.

“If theres anything you think can still be learned go for it” Ryeowook ordered.

Ryeowook ended the call and headed back to the sitting room.

“Everything okay” L.Joe asked.

“Yes and no” Ryeowook replied to a puzzled looking L.Joe.

“I need to talk to Kwangmin again, be back soon” Ryeowook said.

Ryeowook entered the guest room and sat on the bed. He gently woke Kwangmin and asked him to sit up.

“I have confirmed now what I was talking about earlier and I thought you should now immediately what I found out” Ryeowook said.

“What is it” Kwangmin asked.

“This might be hard to hear, and I don’t want you to be angry with your parents, all they have ever done was love you” Ryeowook continued.

“What happened” Kwangmin cried.

“Two days after you were born, you were adopted. Your birth mother died during child birth” Ryeowook said.

Kwangmin couldn’t respond he was shocked. How could his parents not tell him? How could they let him go so long without ever mentioning it?

“There’s more sweetie” Ryeowook said.

Kwangmin grabbed a hold of his boyfriend and held him tight, He was afraid of what else there could possibly be.

“Kwangmin” Ryeowook said as he looked into his boyfriends eyes. “Youngmin is your brother. He was born minutes before you and was also adopted, but to a different family” he finished.

Kwangmin screamed out in pain. He screamed so loud that L.Joe came running into the room. When Kwangmin saw L.Joe he ran to him and fell to the floor crying. L.Joe sat with him comforting.

Ryeowook left the room and went to his bedroom and fell to the bed in tears as he wondered at a time of such great pain, how could his boyfriend look to L.Joe and not him.

 

 

The story has returned to present time. Everything has changed now, but really what has changed?