Chapter Seventeen: Parents

Identical Strangers

 

Youngmin and Kwangmin had a challenging evening ahead. Tonight they would be having dinner with Youngmin’s family, he still hasn’t told his parents about Kwangmin, but he will go to his parents before Kwangmin to tell them that he has a twin brother; they will share their other news together after dinner.

Youngmin has been preparing for this for a few weeks and he had checked ahead of time with Siwon to make sure he would be there for moral support. In a few days they will have a similar evening with Kwangmin’s family. They both hope that their families will support them fully, but they are prepared to be disowned by them, at least they know they will have each other, they will have Siwon and they will have Ryeowook and Yesung no matter what happens.

Youngmin stood at the mirror making sure his tie was straight, he made sure his hair was perfect and then he headed to the kitchen to say goodbye to Kwangmin.

“I’m leaving now” Youngmin said.

“Okay, will leave in about a half hour” Kwangmin said.

“I love you” Youngmin said as he kissed his brother.

“Love you too, drive safe” Kwangmin said.

Youngmin left and drove to his parent’s house. He was greeted with hugs from everyone and was scolded for not visiting in so long. He apologized and promised to visit more often in the future. He went in and sat down with his family.

“Where’s your friend you were brining” asked his father.

“He will be here shortly, I just needed to talk to you before he came” Youngmin said.

“Is something wrong” his mother asked.

“No, nothing’s wrong, but it’s something you should know before you see him” Youngmin replied.

“Well what is it Youngmin” his father said.

“A little over a year ago Yesung was walking around and met someone near the pet store I like to go to. It turns out when I was born, my birth mother had another baby too, he was near the pet store that day and Yesung thought it was me, long story short we eventually found out we were brothers” Youngmin said.

Both parents sat there stunned, no idea what to say at first. They looked at their son and then at each other. Finally after several minutes of silence his father spoke.

“If we had known, we would have adopted both of you so you could have grown up together, just know we never knew” his dad said.

“I’m sorry you had to go all these years without knowing about him, but your father is right, we would have adopted both of you had we known” his mom added.

“It’s okay, I don’t blame anyone for us not knowing about each other, we have found each other now and that’s all that matters” Youngmin said.

They sat talking waiting for Kwangmin to arrive. About ten minutes later Youngmin’s cell phone rang and he answered it. Kwangmin told him he was almost there and for him to wait outside for him. He hung up the phone and excused himself to wait for Kwangmin.

Kwangmin arrived soon and was greeted by Youngmin. They hugged and headed to the house. Kwangmin was nervous, but Youngmin told him it was okay. They had been preparing for this for many weeks, but it was still very nerve-racking.

They entered the house and were greeted by Youngmin’s family. Youngmin introduced his parents and he greeted them. He saw Siwon standing behind them.

“It’s good to see you again Siwon” Kwangmin said as he hugged him.

“Again” asked his father.

“Yes dad, they met about a year ago, I’m sorry we have waited so long for you to meet, but we felt it was better this way” Youngmin said.

His father nodded and they headed to the dining room to eat. The five of them enjoyed the food and conversation over the next hour. Youngmin told his parents he was starting school soon, they were happy he decided to go to university.

“Do you need money for tuition” his father asked.

“No, Yesung is paying for it” Youngmin said.

“Damn fine boy Yesung is. I just don’t understand why you two aren’t together anymore, if he’s paying for your school it would seem he still has feelings for you” his father said.

“You’ll understand soon enough father” Youngmin replied.

“Do you go to school” Youngmin’s mother asked Kwangmin.

“Yes” he replied.

“You’re parents must be proud” she responded.

“Actually they don’t know yet, I haven’t seen them in over a year, but we are going to have dinner with them soon” Kwangmin said.

“How are you paying for your school” she asked.

“My ex-boyfriend is paying for it” Kwangmin replied.

“Oh so you are gay as well” she asked.

“Yes. He is actually dating Yesung now” Kwangmin said.

“Really, that’s interesting” she said.

“Yes, he let me have our house after we broke up, now he lives with Yesung and Youngmin moved into my house” Kwangmin said.

“Wonderful that you two can spend time together getting to know each other” she said.

They finished dinner and went to the sitting room. They all sat down and continued their conversation. Siwon had been pretty quiet all evening, he had been trying to gauge what his parents reaction would be when Youngmin made his announcement tonight, he was soon to find out.

“Mom, Dad, I have something I need to tell you, it might be difficult to understand, and it maybe something you won’t approve of, but it’s what I have decided to do and I will continue to do it no matter what you say about it” Youngmin announced.

“What is It son” his mother asked.

“The reason I brought Kwangmin here to meet you tonight is because we are dating” Youngmin said.

“He’s you brother, how can you date him” his father asked.

“It’s not like we grew up together. When we met we were attracted to each other immediately. We thought we just looked very alike, but Kwangmin’s ex boyfriend hired an investigator and he discovered we were brothers, but by then we were already falling in love. Since we didn’t grow up as brothers and since we can’t exactly have children, we decided it didn’t matter” Youngmin said.

“I forbid you to date him” his father demanded.

“Dear, calm down, perhaps he’s right” his mother said.

“No, I forbid it. Isn’t enough that we sit here and let him be gay, now he comes here and tells us he has a blood brother, a twin, and that they are dating. I won’t support this” his father said.

“I don’t care if you like it or support it, this is how it is” Youngmin said.

“Then get out of my house and don’t ever come back” his father said.

“Dad, calm down” Siwon spoke up.

“You, don’t you get involved. You knew about this and didn’t try to stop it, didn’t even tell me and your mother” his father said.

“I didn’t stop it because it’s not my place, or your place to tell Youngmin who he can and can’t love” Siwon said.

“If you’re going to sit here and support him, then you can get out too” his father said as he stormed out of the room.

Youngmin’s mother was sitting in her seat now crying. Siwon and Youngmin went to console her.

“Its okay mom, it will be fine” Youngmin said.

“Sweetie, your father doesn’t speak for me. If Kwangmin makes you happy and you two choose to be together, I will support your choice” his mother said as she kissed her son.

“Thanks mom, it means a lot” Youngmin said.

“I’m going to pack some clothes, I will go stay with a friend for a few days until dad calms down” Siwon said.

“You can come stay with us if you want” Kwangmin said.

“Thanks” Siwon replied.

“Okay then. Siwon, get some clothes and we will wait for you outside” Youngmin said.

Youngmin and Kwangmin said goodbye to his mom and went outside and waited for Siwon. Nearly twenty minutes later Siwon emerged from the house. As he approached them Youngmin noticed his eye.

“What happened” Youngmin asked.

“Dad got mad, he yelled at me and when I said I was going with you two he hit me” Siwon said.

“Are you okay” Kwangmin asked.

“I guess, it’s starting to swell though” Siwon said.

“If you can’t see well enough to drive, we can come back for your car tomorrow” Youngmin said.

“That’s probably a good idea” Siwon said.

“Okay then, who do you want to ride with” Youngmin asked.

“I think it might be a good idea to ride with Kwangmin, I think you will just get mad if you keep seeing my eye as you drive” Siwon said.

They got in the two cars and headed back to their place. Youngmin was very annoyed by what happened tonight. How could his father be like that? How could he hit Siwon? Meantime, Kwangmin was having second thoughts of telling his parents about them.

 

 

 

 

Sorry its been a few days since the last chapter, became a little busy this week. Should have another chapter tomorrow.