Chapter Twenty: Deaths Doorstep

Identical Strangers

 

The four ran to the nurses’ station to see if they could find out what was wrong. The nurse told them she had no information and they would need to wait until the doctor returned. They slowly made their way back to where they were sitting, Ryeowook and Youngmin we’re crying uncontrollably while Kwangmin and Siwon tried to comfort them.

Su-Min returned to the area a few minutes later, as soon as Ryeowook saw her he ran to her and demanded answers, she had none to give. She talked to them and remained with them as they waited for the doctors to return.

About an hour later Dr. Smith returned to the waiting area and approached them.

“What’s wrong?” Ryeowook asked.

“Something went wrong, his heart stopped” the doctor began.

Ryeowook fell to the floor crying before the doctor could continue. Youngmin dropped down beside him and they hugged each other as the prepared for the worst.

“Please let me continue. His heart stopped but we were able to get it going again. We feel good about his chances, he will need to remain in recovery a little longer than we planned, but he should be just fine” Dr. Smith said.

Ryeowook and Youngmin continued to cry together. Kwangmin thanked the doctor. Kwangmin and Siwon helped Ryeowook and Youngmin up and to a chair.

After several minutes Siwon walked to the nurses’ station and talked to the nurse for several minutes, he then moved away and made a call on his cell phone. The call lasted several minutes before he returned to the others.

“I booked us a hotel room down the street. Because we are in Manhattan it is rather expensive, but we will need somewhere to sleep.” Siwon said.

“I’m not going anywhere, but take my credit card, tell them I will stop by before you check out to sign off on it, if they have a problem tell them to contact the credit card company and they can contact me for authorization.” Ryeowook told Siwon.

“Does anyone want to come get some rest with me?” Siwon asked.

“I am staying here with Ryeowook” Youngmin said.

“I’ll come with you.” Kwangmin said.

Kwangmin and Siwon left to check into the hotel. They both took short naps before heading back out to return to the hospital, on the way they stopped and bought some food to bring to Ryeowook and Youngmin.

They returned to the area they left a couple hours earlier but no one was there. Siwon approached the nurses’ station and asked the nurse if she knew where they were. The nurse told them that Yesung had regained consciousness and the doctor allowed them in to see him. The nurse told them to have a seat and she would ring the room and let them know they were there.

Kwangmin and Siwon took a seat and waited. Several minutes later Ryeowook came out and sat with them.

“Where is Youngmin?” Kwangmin asked.

“He wouldn’t leave Yesung’s side, honestly I didn’t want to either, but I figured one of us needed to come out here to see you” Ryeowook replied.

“So how is Yesung doing?” Siwon asked.

“He’s doing well. He’s in a lot of pain, but other than that. The doctor said he should be fine. He will need to stay here at least a week before they will release him and they don’t know yet how long before they will allow him to fly back to Korea.” Ryeowook said.

“We brought you guys some food” Kwangmin said holding up a big bag.

“Great, I’m starving” Ryeowook said.

“Would you like us to go stay with Yesung and you and Youngmin can go eat somewhere?” Siwon asked.

“There’s a table in his room, we can probably eat in there, let me go make sure it’s okay for more people to go in.” Ryeowook said as he got up and went towards the nurse’s desk.

Ryeowook was at the desk for several minutes as the nurse made a call. As they waited Siwon and Kwangmin sat talking. Finally after more than five minutes Ryeowook returned to them.

“The nurse called the doctor and he said it was okay for us to all be in there, but to make sure we don’t get him going to actively.” Ryeowook said as he motioned for them to follow.

The three walked down the hall and through a door and entered Yesung’s room. Kwangmin ran right to Youngmin and gave him a big hug and a kiss. Siwon followed him and gave Youngmin a hug as well.

“How about some love for the patient.” Yesung cried out in a low squeal.

The two approached Yesung and gave him a gentle hug.

“Youngmin, we brought you and Ryeowook some food, why don’t you two sit down and eat.” Siwon said.

Ryeowook didn’t need to be told again as he grabbed the bag and sat at the table. Youngmin reluctantly joined him and the two ate. As they ate, Siwon and Kwangmin chatted with Yesung.

Soon the two were finished eating and the four sat around the bed talking with Yesung and each other. About an hour passed when Doctor Smith entered. The Doctor talked with Yesung for a few minutes and then to the rest. He suggested Yesung be left to rest for awhile and suggested they all come back around 4PM until visiting hours ended at 9PM. Ryeowook was hesitant to leaving but finally gave in when Yesung begged him to go get some rest.

“I love you” Ryeowook said to Yesung as he kissed him.

“I love you too.” Yesung replied.

Youngmin also gave Yesung a kiss and the four left the room and headed to the hotel. After getting Youngmin and Ryeowook into the room, Siwon and Kwangmin decided to go out and look around a little.

“Be safe out there” Youngmin warned.

“We’ll be fine, we won’t go far and we will come back around 2PM so we can get something to eat before we return to the hospital” Siwon replied.

Siwon and Kwangmin left as Youngmin and Ryeowook went to sleep.

 

 

 

I decided to get right back to writing. This is a shorter chapter than usual, but it gets the story going again. The next chapter will see a major moment in the story, and the gang will return to Korea shortly.

 

 

 

 

NOTE: I am sorry for the way too long delay in the story, but it was unavoidable. Over the long time I have been away I have played the story out in my head many times. From the very beginning I had where the story would go all planned out. Over time I have decided that the conclusion I long planned would not have gone over well with the readers. So I have altered my plans slightly for where the story will go. My original planned end will still be part of the story, but not the end. The changes will also alter a major event in the next chapter.

I can’t say for sure how many more chapters remain in this story, the story is nearing its end, but whether it takes five or ten or however many more chapters, I don’t yet know.

My new conclusion plans though do leave open the possibility of a sequel of sorts that I will consider once I get through the other story I had been working on called Seoul Mates.