Chapter Nineteen: Flight

Identical Strangers

 

Kwangmin went to Siwon’s room and told him what happened. He wanted Siwon to be there when he told Youngmin but he didn’t want to shock Siwon at the same time. Once he told Siwon, they went to the back patio where Youngmin was reading a book. They both took seats on each side of Youngmin.

“What’s up” Youngmin asked.

“Something happened. We need to leave immediately after I tell you” Kwangmin said.

“What happened” Youngmin asked.

“I just talked to police in London…” Kwangmin began.

“What happened to Ryeowook” Youngmin asked as a deep look of concern crept onto his face.

“It’s not Ryeowook; he couldn’t talk so the police officer took the phone and told me. A little while ago while Ryeowook was talking to Yesung, someone approached Yesung and after a short exchange Yesung was shot. London police confirmed it and are taking Ryeowook to New York right now” Kwangmin said.

“IS HE OK” Youngmin screamed out.

“When the police in London talked to the New York Police they said he was in critical condition and would be going to surgery soon. We are going to go to the airport now and fly there to meet Ryeowook” Kwangmin said.

Youngmin ran into the house and grabbed his passport and wallet and ran to the door. Kwangmin followed behind grabbing his passport, wallet and keys. Siwon yelled to him that he would grab some clothes quick and meet them at the airport a few minutes after them.

Kwangmin got into the car with Youngmin and raced off to the airport. He quickly purchased three tickets; the flight would leave in two hours.

“Why do we have to wait two hours, we need to go now” Youngmin cried out.

“It’s the earliest flight there was, I’m sorry we can’t get there any quicker” Kwangmin said.

They sat there with Youngmin’s face buried into Kwangmin as he continued to cry. About thirty minutes later Siwon emerged with their luggage. He talked to Kwangmin briefly and went to check the luggage. When Siwon returned Kwangmin asked Siwon to sit with Youngmin.

Kwangmin walked about one hundred feet away and called Ryeowook. The phone rang three times before it was answered.

“Hello” Ryeowook said, still clear that he was crying.

“It’s Kwangmin, we are at the airport, and our flight leaves in about eighty minutes” Kwangmin said.

“How is Youngmin handling this” Ryeowook asked.

“He hasn’t stopped crying, he’s sitting with Siwon right now” Kwangmin said.

“I just talked to the hospital a few minutes ago, he is in surgery now. They wouldn’t say what his chances are” Ryeowook said.

“Stay strong Ryeowook, he’s a fighter, he won’t leave you that easily” Kwangmin said.

The two talked for a minute or two more before they hung up. Kwangmin went back to Youngmin and updated him. They all sat there for about ten minutes until Kwangmin was paged over the intercom, he went to the counter he was asked to go to.

“Hi, I was just paged” Kwangmin said.

“Are you Jo Kwang Min” the man asked.

“Yes I am” he replied.

“Our corporate office received a call from Kim Ryeo Wook, he used to work for our company. After his call the corporate president called us and told us to page you and to fuel our corporate jet and fly you to New York. Your luggage is already being routed to our plane and we will leave in ten minutes” the man said.

“Thank you so much, I will get Youngmin and Siwon” Kwangmin said.

Kwangmin ran back to their seats and told Youngmin and Siwon what happened, they quickly returned to the counter where they were escorted to the private jet that was waiting for them, as they sat down Kwangmin got a text message.

“I had a favor to call in, the private jet should get you guys going quicker, see you soon, love Ryeowook” said the message.

They quickly fastened their seatbelts and off they went to New York. Once airborne the co-pilot came over the intercom to inform them of the trip specifics.

“Welcome aboard. We will be flying to Los Angeles International to refuel and then we will continue on to JFK in New York” the voice said.

 

 

Ryeowook’s plane landed in New York, he was ushered off the plane before the other passengers and was taken to a waiting New York Police car. The two detectives wished him well and he sped off in the police car to the hospital. It seemed like forever to travel from Queens into Manhattan but soon enough they arrived and he was brought into the hospital.

“I am looking for Kim Jong Woon, he was shot near Broadway and was brought here” Ryeowook said.

“Do you know when” the person asked.

“I don’t even know what time it is, I just got off a plane from London” he said.

The lady typed the name into her computer and looked at the search results, she excused herself for a minute and walked to a phone near the back of the reception area and called someone. She talked for a minute or so and returned.

“Sir, if you could follow this gentleman he will you” she said.

Ryeowook quickly followed and was brought to a waiting area. The man told him someone would be with him in a moment. He stood there waiting and finally someone approached.

“Are you here about Kim Jong Woon” the man asked.

“YES, I am Kim Ryeo Wook” he responded.

“Are you family” he asked.

“Yes” Ryeowook responded.

“Kim Jong Woon…” he started saying.

“You can call him Yesung, it’s easier” Ryeowook said.

“Okay, Yesung is still in surgery. His injuries are severe but we have one of the finest surgical units in the country and we are doing everything we can to save him” he said.

“What are his chances of recovering” Ryeowook asked.

“When they took him in, his chances of survival were about twenty five percent, he lost a lot of blood and the location of the gun shot were not very favorable” he said.

Ryeowook fell to his knees crying. A young lady approached and with the help of the doctor moved him to a chair. The doctor left and the woman sat with him.

“I am a counselor here, I am here to help you in any way you need” she said.

Ryeowook continued to cry for several minutes before he was able to start fighting off some of the tears. Once he had somewhat composed himself he introduced himself to her.

“I am Kim Ryeo Wook” he said.

“Nice to meet you, I am Lee Su-Min” she said.

“Oh, you’re Korean” Ryeowook replied.

“Half, my father was American” she said.

“Nice to meet you” he said.

“From what I understand Kim Jong Woon will be in surgery for about another five hours” she said.

“Why does it take so long, he’s been in surgery since I got on the plane in London” he asked.

“He was very badly injured, it takes time to repair that” she said.

“Okay” he replied.

“Since he will still be in there for awhile, why don’t you come with me to get something to eat, I’m sure you need it” she said.

“I need to stay here incase anything happens” he said.

“They will page me if anything happens” she said.

He reluctantly agreed and went with her. He had a sandwich and a cup of coffee before rushing back to the waiting room, he sat down and at some point while he was sitting here he dozed off.

“wake up” a voice said as he was gently shaken.

“what is it, is he okay” Ryeowook said as he jumped up.

“He’s still in surgery, but reception just called, there is someone named Kwangmin here” she said.

“How long was I asleep” he asked.

“About four hours” she said.

“Is he out of surgery yet” he asked.

“Not yet” she replied.

“Where is Kwangmin” he asked.

She took him to the reception desk and as soon as Kwangmin and Youngmin saw him they ran for him and the three locked in a very emotional hug as the three began to cry once again. While they were hugging Siwon introduced himself to Lee Su-Min. As she was talking to him her phone rang and she excused herself to take the call. The three emerged from their hug.

“Where did she go” Ryeowook asked.

“Her phone rang, she went that way to answer” Siwon said pointing.

Ryeowook ran in the direction he pointed and he was closely followed by the twins and Siwon. They found Su-Min around the corner as she was hanging up the phone.

“Was that about Yesung” Ryeowook asked.

“Yes, he is out of surgery, he is in the recovery room, you can’t see him yet, but the doctor wants to talk to you” she said.

They quickly followed her back to the waiting room he was in earlier where the doctor was waiting.

“I am Doctor John Smith, I operated on Kim Jong Woon” he said.

“How is he” Ryeowook demanded.

“The bullet hit near his heart, luckily it just missed but it did cause significant damage. He also lost a lot of blood. We have repaired the damage and the next twelve hours will be important. We anticipate a complete recovery if there are no problems in the next twelve hours” the doctor said.

“When can we see him” Ryeowook asked.

“He will be moved to ICU soon and we can arrange for you to go see him there, he won’t be awake and you will have to be very quiet” the doctor said.

“Thank you” Ryeowook said.

The doctor began walking away and the four sat in the waiting area, just as Ryeowook was about to speak a loud voice came over the intercom.

“CODE BLUE RECOVERY ROOM, CODE BLUE RECOVERY ROOM.  DOCTOR SMITH TO RECOVERY ROOM, DOCTOR JOHN SMITH TO RECOVERY ROOM”

A look of panic immediately crept over their faces.