Chapter Eighteen: The Dark Side Of New York

Identical Strangers

 

Kwangmin and Youngmin got Siwon settled into the master bedroom, which Kwangmin still wouldn’t share with Youngmin. It was late so they headed to bed shortly after that. As they lay in bed, Youngmin began to cry, Kwangmin pulled him into his arms and held him tight, he had no words to sooth the pain he was feeling. Youngmin fell asleep after about a half hour, but Kwangmin lay awake for nearly two hours thinking about how his parents would react.

Kwangmin woke to the smell of food cooking. He climbed out of bed and kissed Youngmin on the cheek before heading to shower. Once he was showered he headed to the kitchen where Siwon was cooking.

“Good morning Siwon” Kwangmin said.

“Morning, is Youngmin still in bed” Siwon asked.

“Yes, he was upset last night, so I will let him sleep in this morning” Kwangmin responded.

“Good idea” Siwon said.

The two sat at the table and ate their breakfast and talked. Siwon told Kwangmin he will find an apartment quick and be out of their way.

“Its fine, you are welcome here as long as you want” Kwangmin said.

“I appreciate that, but it’s probably best to get my own place as soon as I can” Siwon replied.

“I think for at least a few weeks it might be better for Youngmin if your around” Kwangmin said.

“You’re probably right, we’ll play it by ear then” Siwon said.

Kwangmin finished his breakfast and went to wake up Youngmin. He quietly entered the bedroom and opened the curtains to let the sunlight in. He approached the bed and just as he was about to lean down to wake Youngmin, his brother grabbed him and flipped him onto the bed and kissed him.

“Well good morning to you too” Kwangmin said with a smile.

“What wonderful smelling food did you cook for breakfast” Youngmin asked.

“I didn’t cook” Kwangmin replied.

“Takeout” Youngmin asked with a frown.

“Nope, Siwon cooked” Kwangmin said.

“Really” Youngmin asked.

“Yup, do you want to shower first or eat first” Kwangmin asked.

“I’m hungry, so I’ll eat first” Youngmin said as he jumped from the bed and headed to the kitchen.

“Morning sleepyhead” Siwon said.

“Morning Siwon, what’s for breakfast” Youngmin asked.

“Nothing, we ate it all while you slept in” Siwon said.

“What” Youngmin asked with a sad face?

“I was only kidding, here” Siwon said handing Youngmin a plate of food.

 

 

Yesung was in New York signing up new clients; he was keeping himself busy, but was missing Ryeowook every minute of the day. They talked to each other every night, but it wasn’t the same as being together in Korea. He was thinking about flying to London this weekend when he had two days off between meetings to surprise Ryeowook, but he hadn’t decided yet if that was wise. The travel would leave him tired on Monday, but perhaps he could move some of the meetings to later in the week to lessen the Monday workload.

So far he had had three meetings and two of them agreed to work with them, while the third was reluctant but hadn’t completely dismissed the offer. Ryeowook had had less success in London landing only one client out of four meetings.

Yesung decided to go to a Broadway show tonight. After looking over what shows were playing he decided to see Newsies. He called and got a ticket and headed out to grab some dinner before the show. He called Ryeowook on his walk from the restaurant to the theatre and told him what show he was going to see, Ryeowook told him to call after the show even though it would be the middle of the night in London.

Yesung enjoyed the show and remained seated following the show to let the heavy crowd thin out before he made his way out of the theatre. Finally after about twenty minutes he stood and made his exit.

As he emerged on the busy New York street his took out his cell phone and called Ryeowook.

 

 

“Hello” Ryeowook said answering his phone.

“Hey sweetie, I just got out of the theatre” Yesung said.

“How was the show” Ryeowook asked.

“It was great, we have to come back here together sometime and see it together” Yesung said.

“That would be great” Ryeowook replied.

“How was your day over there” Yesung asked.

“It was okay, could have been better” Ryeowook said.

“I have a couple big meetings tomorrow” Yesung said.

“I have one in the afternoon, the next day will be busy for me” Ryeowook said.

“It’s amazing how you can go from one street here where it’s like middle of the day with the amount of people and the next street is virtually empty” Yesung said.

“Are you walking” Ryeowook asked.

“Yes, it’s a beautiful evening, and the hotel isn’t too far from the theatre, so I decided to walk” Yesung said.

Ryeowook heard some yelling on the other end of the phone.

“Hold on a second, someone….” Yesung said before the sound faded off.

Ryeowook sat on the other end of the phone waiting for Yesung to come back, he heard what sounded like a couple different voice yelling, then he heard Yesung’s distinctive voice.

“NOOOOOOOO” Yesung yelled.

Ryeowook then heard a gunshot, a second later he heard the cell phone hit the ground, moments later the line went dead. Ryeowook screamed out in terror not knowing what happened. Unsure what to do he ran to the hotel lobby crying out for the police.

The hotel desk clerk called the police and tried to calm down Ryeowook as they waited for the police to arrive.

Several minutes later two Police Constables arrived and began questioning Ryeowook.

“Sir, what seems to be the problem” the Constable asked.

“I was talking to my boyfriend, he’s in New York” Ryeowook said through tears.

“And” the constable asked.

“There was shouting and he screamed no and then I heard a gunshot, the phone hit the ground then the line went dead” Ryeowook said.

“Are you sure it was a gunshot” asked the Constable.

“I’m pretty sure” Ryeowook said.

The Constable radioed headquarters and talked to them for a minute, he returned and asked Ryeowook to them to headquarters. Ryeowook went with them and it took a few minutes to arrive.

Ryeowook was taken inside and escorted to a plain clothes officer.

“Sir, I am Detective Inspector Ronnie Brooks, please have a seat”Detective Brooks said.

Ryeowook sat down, eyes still full of tears.

“I need to know where in New York your boyfriend was, also I need his full name” Detective Brooks said.

“His name is Kim Jong Woon, but everyone calls him Yesung. He was near Broadway, he just left Newsies when he called me, he had been walking a few minutes before it happened” Ryeowook said.

“Where does he live in New York” Detective Brooks asked.

“He don’t live there, we live in Korea, we are on business trips. He is staying at The Paramount” Ryeowook said.

“Okay, you wait here a few minutes and let me make a call” Detective Brooks said.

Ryeowook sat in the room waiting for what seemed like an eternity. He saw through the window that Detective Brooks was on the phone, he was writing down several things as he talked. After a few minutes he hung up the phone and turned to talk to two other detectives. Ryeowook waited nervously before Detective Brooks returned to the room with the other two detectives.

“Sir, I just talked to the New York City Police Department. About fifteen minutes ago they received a call of shots fired in the theatre district. When they arrived they found a young Asian male suffering from a gunshot wound to the chest. He was transported to a local hospital where he is being treated. I asked them to check and see if he had any identification on him and when they checked they confirmed it was Kim Jong Woon. He is in critical condition and will be going into surgery” Detective Brooks said.

Ryeowook collapsed to the floor crying uncontrollably. The detective helped him up and sat him in a chair.

“Do you have any friends or relatives here in London” Detective Brooks asked.

Ryeowook nodded in the negative.

“Okay, these two detectives will take you back to your hotel and help you collect your luggage, they will take you to the airport and you to New York” Detective Brooks said.

Ryeowook nodded, still crying.

Ryeowook left with the two detectives and headed for his hotel. Once there he rushed to his room and grabbed his cell phone and called Kwangmin. He tried talking on the phone but couldn’t get words out with him still crying.

One of the detectives took the phone.

“Hello, sir do you speak English” the detective asked.

“Yes, I do, what’s going on, where’s Ryeowook” Kwangmin asked.

“Sir he is right here, but he is unable to talk. I am Detective Sam Casey with the Metropolitan Police Service in London. There has been an incident in New York City, your friend here was on the phone with Kim Jong Woon at the time and he notified us and we confirmed through the New York City Police Department, we are preparing to take your friend to the airport to take him to New York, I am not sure why he called you” Detective Casey said.

“What happened in New York, is Yesung okay” Kwangmin demanded.

“Kim Jong Woon was shot and is in critical condition in New York” Detective Casey said.

“Tell Ryeowook me and Youngmin will be on the next plane to New York, we will call him as soon as we get there” Kwangmin said.

“Okay sir, I will tell him” Detective Casey said.

“You said you were taking him to New York? He wont be traveling alone right” Kwangmin asked.

“Yes, when he said he had no friends or family in London, my superior decided it was best to him to New York because of his current emotional state” Detective Casey said.

“Thank you Detective Casey, tell him we will call him soon” Kwangmin said and hung up.

Detective Casey hung up the phone and handed it to Ryeowook.

“Your friend said he and a Youngmin will head to New York now and call you when they arrive” Detective Casey said.

Ryeowook nodded he understood and quickly threw his clothes into his suitcase and rushed for the door.