Chapter Twenty One: Destination Korea

Identical Strangers

 

NOTE: I am moving this weekend and I don’t know exactly when I will be getting an internet connection at my new place. So I will try to write several chapters Thursday and post them before I begin moving.  Thanks.

 

 

Kwangmin and Siwon did some sightseeing around the area of Manhattan where they were while the others were sleeping. They checked out Times Square and some other areas that are part of the famous New York City.

“Hey, let’s go down and look at Ground Zero” Siwon suggested.

“Okay” Kwangmin agreed.

The two walked to the nearest subway station and inquired how to get to Ground Zero, they were told to take the E train right to the World Trade Center. They paid their fare and waited for the train. After several minutes the train arrived and they boarded it and took the relatively short ride to their stop. They got out and left the station and found themselves right there in the midst of the site.

They stood there looking around understanding what the area means to so many people. They walked around for several minutes taking in the surroundings.

Back at the hotel Ryeowook was having a hard time sleeping, so he went to take a shower. When he finished he found that Youngmin also was not sleeping, so he took a shower as well and they decided to go out and look around as well. Ryeowook texted Kwangmin and told them they were going out and asking where they were at.

“We are just about to leave the World Trade Center” Kwangmin texted back to Ryeowook.

“Okay, when you get back near the hotel text me and I will let you know where we are” Ryeowook replied.

When Youngmin was ready, Ryeowook told him the others would let them know when they returned, they headed out to find someplace to get a drink and a snack.

They walked around and enjoyed the atmosphere, enjoying each other’s company and having a good time. They stopped at a small café and had some tea and a pastry and talked while they waited.

“Are you going back to Korea when we leave, or are you heading back to London” Youngmin asked.

“Korea, definitely, I got to be with Yesung while he gets better” Ryeowook said.

“Well it sounded like he was going to have to be a lot better before they are going to let him go on an airplane, so he will probably be okay by the time you leave, which could be awhile.” Youngmin replied.

“I don’t anticipate it being too long, but yes, we may have to stay a little while, but you, Kwangmin and Siwon should head back once he is well enough, no need for us to all be here for a long period.” Ryeowook said.

“I don’t know, we’ll see, I’m not sure if I want to head back before he goes.” Youngmin said.

“I know you still love him, but you’re with Kwangmin now, you need to think about what’s best for you two.” Ryeowook replied.

“Would you leave Kwangmin if he were the one hurt?” Youngmin asked.

“I don’t know.” Youngmin said.

Meantime back at Ground Zero Kwangmin and Siwon boarded the train back to Times Square to meet up with the others. Kwangmin texted Ryeowook and told him they just got on the train, he asked him to look around for someplace to eat and when they got to the area he would text again to see where they were.

“Okay, after we eat we can run back by the hotel so you guys can grab a quick shower or something if you need before we head back to the hospital.” Ryeowook texted back.

Soon enough the four were sitting in a hotel eating. Siwon tried to describe Ground Zero but knew he couldn’t come close to explaining it properly. Ryeowook said perhaps in a day or two they could all go back down and see it.

When they finished eating, Ryeowook paid the bill and left a tip. They walked back to the hotel before returning to the hospital. As they entered the hotel they headed towards the elevator.

“I’ll go to the desk and see if we have any messages and then catch up with you.” Siwon said.

The others nodded and continued to the elevator. Siwon arrived at the desk and asked if there were any messages for their room. The desk clerk checked and returned with a message and handed it to Siwon. Siwon took the message and read it. He took out his phone and called the number.

“Hello, Dr. Smith here” The Doctor said answering the phone.

“Hi, this is Siwon, I am returning a call you made to use in regards to Yesung” Siwon said.

“Oh yes, thanks for calling me back. We tried to get a hold of you but we were unable.” Dr. Smith said.

“Is everything okay?” Siwon asked.

“I’d like to see you all here at the hospital as soon as you can get here.” Dr. Smith said.

Is something wrong doctor?” Siwon asked.

“It’s best we talk when you get here” the doctor replied.

“No, just tell me now, is everything okay?” Siwon demanded.

“I’m afraid not. Yesung hemorrhaged this afternoon; we worked on him for some time to stabilize him and then took him to surgery. I am sorry to say that he passed away while in surgery.” Dr. Smith said.

Siwon stood there silent for several minutes.

“Are you still there?” the doctor asked.

“Yes, we will be there soon.” Siwon said.

“Okay, please ask for me when you arrive, I can take you to the morgue to see him if you like, we can discuss your plans afterwards.” The doctor replied.

“Okay.” was all Siwon could get out before hanging up.

Siwon ran to the elevator and pressed the button, after waiting less than ten seconds he ran to the stairs and began running up as fast as he could.

He reached the floor and ran to the room and pounded on the door. Moments later Youngmin opened the door and Siwon fell to his feet barely able to breathe as he bagan to cry.

“Are you okay Siwon?” Youngmin asked.

Siwon could no little more than nod no to his brother. Youngmin helped him and and led him to the bed and grabbed some water for him. Siwon pushed the water away and his breathing began to ease up slightly. The tears were coming harder now.

“I just talked to Dr. Smith.” Siwon said.

Immediately Ryeowook screamed out and collapsed to the floor crying.

Youngmin and Kwangmin hadn’t put things together as quickly as Ryeowook did. Stood up and pushed his brother to the bed and knelt in front of him.

“Yesung died, he’s gone” Siwon told his brother as his tears increased.

Kwangmin who had ran over to Ryeowook when he fell down was now consoling him. Youngmin just stared at his brother in disbelief; little emotion escaped his face at first.

“I’m so sorry Youngmin. Dr. Smith wants us to come to the hospital, if you and Ryeowook want to see Yesung you can, but you don’t have to. Then we need to make plans to take him back to Korea.” Siwon said.

Finally what was said sunk in with Youngmin and he burst from Siwons grip and out the door. Siwon ran after him, Kwangmin wanted to as well, but he needed to be there for Ryeowook. He helped his former lover up and asked if he wanted to go now or rest first.

“I need to see him, I need to hold him, there must be some mistake, they must have the wrong person, he was fine this morning.” Ryeowook tried to convince himself.

Kwangmin took hold of Ryeowook’s arm and headed out the door with him. They waited for the elevator and headed down to the lobby. When they got there they looked around for the other two but couldn’t find them. They headed out and walked to the hospital, when they arrived they found Siwon waiting for them.

“He ran all the way here; I finally caught up to him outside of Yesung’s room. I had Dr. Smith paged and when he saw the condition Youngmin was in he called Dr. Su-Min the counselor, she is talking to him right now. I needed to come out and wait for you, so I didn’t want Dr. Smith taking him to see Yesung alone.” Siwon said.

Ryeowook began crying heavier now as Siwon led them in and up to where Youngmin was. When they arrived Youngmin ran to Kwangmin and hugged him, as he did, Siwon took hold of Ryeowook.

Dr. Su-Min tried to talk to Ryeowook but he just demanded to see Yesung.

Dr. Smith was paged and when he returned he offered condolences to everyone and offered to take them to see Yesung in the morgue. He warned them it would be a very emotional sight, but they insisted.

Once in the morgue he led them to a row of stainless steel doors on a wall. The doctor directed the coroner to open Yesungs. When he did a slab was pulled out covered in a white sheet. The sheet was pulled back exposing Yesungs upperbody. Ryeowook collapsed to the ground almost immediately while the other three began crying heavily.

Dr. Smith called for a medical team immediately. They arrived in short time and began checking on Ryeowook. They were confident he had just fainted but put him on a gurney and took him to the emergency room anyway.

Shortly thereafter he regained consciousness and after taking in his surroundings demanded to be led back to Yesung.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Dr. Smith said.

“I don’t care, take me to him now,” Ryeowook demanded.

They returned to the morgue and once again the door was opened and the sheet pulled back. Ryeowook reached out to hug Yesung, crying as he held him.

“I love you Yesung, forever,” Ryeowook cried as he kissed Yesung.

After several minutes Ryeowook stepped back and Yesung was covered back up and the slab was pushed back and the door closed. A minute later Dr. Su-Min came in and asked Ryeowook and Youngmin to go with her. They agreed and followed her. Kwangmin and Siwon began to follow but Dr. Smith asked them to remain. Once the other two were gone he began to speak.

“I wanted to talk to you two alone about this. I assume you will want to take him immediately back to Korea?” the doctor asked.

“Yes, probably as soon as possible,” Siwon said.

“Okay, we can either place him in a generic casket or you can visit a funeral home and pick out something nicer to transport him,” Dr. Smith said.

“Is there a funeral home nearby?” Siwon asked.

“Yes there is, I can have someone from counseling services you if you like,” the doctor said.

“No, just give us an address, we will be fine,” Siwon said.

The doctor gave them an address and they left. As they walked to the funeral home Siwon made a phone call. He directed someone on the other end to be prepared to make an immediate cash transfer when he called back, he refused to discuss what it was about, he hung up.

They arrived at the funeral home and explained what they needed. The person explained they had a limited supply on site and it may take a day or two to get a special order. Siwon explained they needed something nice, price wasn’t an issue and that they needed it no later than tomorrow morning. The gentleman led them to a desk and they sat down and looked through a binder and Siwon found a nice looking one and asked if they could get it by the morning. He was asked several questions about size and stuff and then made a phone call. After a few minutes he hung up and turned to Siwon. I can have it by 6AM; the cost will be slightly higher for the rush to get it that early.

“Like I said, cost isn’t an issue, I need it delivered to the hospital down the street for a Kim Jong-woon, but please have Yesung listed as well, that’s what most people at the hospital know him by” Siwon directed.

“No problem. And how will it be paid for?” he was asked.

“I’ll make a phone call back to Korea and have an immediate cash transfer set up.” Siwon said.

The gentleman gave Siwon the information he would need for the transfer and the call was made, after several minutes he thanked the person on the other end and hung up.

“The transfer was just placed with an urgency attached to it, this is my card, contact me if there’s any problems,” Siwon said.

They thanked the man and left. They walked back to the hotel, Kwangmin was wondering why and Siwon told him he needed to contact the airline to set things up with them. They remained at the hotel for a little under an hour before returning to the hospital.

They found Ryeowook and Youngmin and sat down with them. They explained what they did and suggested they return to the hotel, tomorrow would be a long day for them.

 

 

 

NOTE:  I am sorry. I know many of you are going to hate me for this, but trust me, the plot twist was needed and I just ask that over the final chapters you keep reading.

My initial story plot had Yesung surviving, but this was required to help along to the new ending I came up with that I think will leave you readers more satisfied than my original planned end. Once you see the original planned end, that as I said last chapter will remain, but not as the end and the new end, you will understand why this was needed.

Again, I am sorry for what I did to Yesung.