Chapter 7

Watching you sleep

Jiyong was walking slowly down the path of a park near their dorm. He just had to leave this place, or else he would’ve broken down. While tears were running down his cheeks, he was climbing up a little tree to hide between some branches and leaves. He did not want anybody to see him like this – shaking, crying, being all down, not the cheerful, strong leader he usually was. He had been in love with Seunghyun for quite a while now, but never really thought what he’d do about that fact. And of course not about the possibility of Tabi having someone other to love. Jiyong did not really expect for Seunghyun to requite his feelings, but he’d never considered losing him to someone. And now that this happened, it was so painful that Jiyong didn’t even know how he could go back to the dorm and continue living like before. It felt like his heartache would last forever and he just wanted to hide somewhere and forget all that. Forget about Seunghyun, the man he loved so much it hurt. But that wasn’t possible. They had Big Bang, and this band was, with Seunghyun, all that mattered to Jiyong. It was his everything and at the beginning of their career, the five of them swore that they’ll give their anything for this band. And Jiyong did not plan to break this promise. But it was so hard. Just thinking about Tabi made him cry again, sobbing like a child that has lost his mother in a crowded place.
After a few minutes of crying, suddenly a soft voice reached out to Jiyong.
“Young man, are you okay?”
He looked down the tree and saw a tiny old woman standing there. She was looking at him with concern. “Why are you crying?” A little smile was to be seen on Jiyong’s lips. “It’s… it’s okay. I have just… a little heartache, you know?” The granny nodded. “Heartache is really bad, isn’t it, young man? What bothers you so much that you are crying so desperately?” The young leader let out a loud sigh and climbed down to the branch which was nearest to the ground, so he could talk to the elderly woman easier. “I… kinda fell in love with my best friend.”, he told her. For some kind of reason he trusted that gently-looking old woman. She reminded him of his own grandma. “But, you know, my best friend’s in love with some other person…”
“Oh, you poor boy. That must be really hard. Did you tell your best friend?”
Jiyong shook his head slightly.
“I… I did not dare to do so. I’m scared of losing my best friend.”
The woman nodded. “Could you tell my what kind of person your best friend is?”
Jiyong nodded instantly. “My best friend is… trustable. Kind. Very caring. Understanding. Sometimes a bit clumsy. When I’m with my best friend, I can be who I am. Even if I am childish or whining. It’s just… natural. I don’t need to hide my feelings or disguise myself.”
“Well…”, the granny said, smiling very softly. “Sounds like a great friendship.”
“Yes, it’s… the most precious to me.”, the young man replied.
The elder woman wanted to say something, but she got disrupted by a dark voice.
“Jiyong?”
Seunghyun walked slowly towards the tree Jiyong has climbed. He was visibly worried about his friend. “I’ve been seeking for you, Ji. Are you okay?”