Girl Group Dances With Lay

Maknae Lessons

 

“Hmm, remember when Baekhyun hyung was trying to teach me how to be funny and they ended up getting into a fight about girl groups?” Sehun laughed, reminiscing as he and Luhan were playing ‘Remember When?’.

“Oh no,” Luhan muttered.

“Why?”

“I think we’re gonna have a rerun of that, cause today your teacher is Lay.”

Sehun soaked into silence. “I haven’t talked to Lay much,” he stated quietly.

“More like, Lay haven’t talked to anyone much. He’s a quiet person but you’ll get used to him, because that’s one of his lovely traits. Extremely secretive.” Luhan said, smiling fondly upon thinking of his roommate.

“Hyung, are you replacing me with Lay hyung?” Sehun asked sadly, swinging silently on the playground swing that seemed a few inches too small to fit him.

“Hey, why are you so sad? Cheer up. I won’t replace you, ever, if that’s what you’re depressed about.”

“Even when you guys leave to China?” Sehun asked, shuffling his feet on the sand as his swing swung back and forth.

“China? Are you worried about a country that’s about an hour’s distance by plane from Korea, and about a second’s distance by phone?” Luhan struggled to laugh.

“It’s not gonna be the same, you know.” Sehun pointed out, and the older one gulped.

“Yah! You guys better get back up to the dorm; Lay’s dying to spread his never-ending unicorn knowledge with the maknae,” Chanyeol said, walking towards the two lone figures on the beach swings.

“Okay hyung,” Sehun said obediently and the tall rapper rose an eyebrow.

“Hyung? Hyung?!” he screeched. “Luhan hyung, what did you do to him? This kid’s never been so respectful before!”

Sehun rolled his eyes. “Okay, I got your point, Park Chanyeol. Let’s hurry back.” He turned and ran towards their dorm building and Chanyeol looked at Luhan. Told you so, he mouthed to the Chinese flower boy and Luhan laughed.

~~~

“The hidden arts of girl group dances are buried deep inside a true man’s soul,” Lay began, waving his hands around dramatically. “It does not take much to master the dance itself, but a lot of skill and patience to thoroughly convey the feelings of the dance.”

Sehun rolled his eyes. “Who signed me up for this?”

“Shut up and listen,” Chen nudged the maknae’s head, deeply immersed in Lay’s lessons as he took his position as the dance machine extremely seriously.

 

“Girl group dances are just as special as our dances as a boy group. We are to try to be as fluent as possible in transferring our emotions through our dance moves.” Lay finished and Kai and Chen, his loyal audience, applauded him.

“So we shall start with an international favorite, the legend of many girl group dances…Nobody!”

Whomever smart enough to realize that it was a cue immediately started blasting the familiar girl group anthem on their phone, and Lay began posing and dancing as if it was his natural stance.

Of course, none of the members were any less surprised, as they had seen their fellow member parade around the house doing mainstream girl group dances before.

 

Sehun sighed.

“Let’s ditch that, it’s soooo two thousand and LATE.”

Suho sighed.

“What website have you been on this time?”

Sehun looked innocently at the leader. “The Black Eyed Peas! On YouTube! It’s a safe site, I promise.”

Suho peered at Kris to get his approval and sighed in relief when the EXO-M leader nodded.

“Ditch what?” Lay asked, offended.

“Girl group dances were like...SHINee sunbaenims’ era. Gee, Nobody, Bo Peep Bo Peep, Abracadabra, Mister, those were all dominated and finished by Key hyung. Nowadays,” Sehun cleared his throat for dramatic effect, “the hype is on duos. Troublemaker.”

The group groaned. Lay looked troubled.

“I haven’t quite mastered that dance yet…” he said, reluctant.

“So you have been practicing it! That’s what you were doing when I was passing your room. I was a bit scared, ‘what the hell is Lay hyung doing? Is he okay? A bit…needy?’” Kai said, relieved.

“Well, I figured it might be good for future uses,” Lay blurted, then realizing what he had said a second too late.

The statement hung in the air awkwardly.

“Future uses? Oh, like with your girlfriend?” D.O. asked indifferently.

“No, guys, he meant future uses as in onstage, if some MC requests it. Topic ended.” Kris quickly said.

~~~

“With Gee, you have to move your feet like this,” Lay demonstrated for the billionth time and Sehun exasperatedly shuffled his feet.

“Finally,” the hyungs sighed in relief.

“Why am I the only one doing this? Yah!” Sehun hmphed.

“Let’s get started on Nobody, then.” Lay sighed. “You shimmy your body like this- and your arms have to slowly move up, yes that’s it.”

Sehun mastered the -shaking and finger wagging really fast.

 

“Bo Peep Bo Peep is just pretending to be a kitten,” Lay commented and Sehun kneeled on the floor, meowing.

“Meeeooowrrrrr?”

Lay pretended to faint. “No, no andwae! It’s like buing buing on repeat and the beginning, and you hop 160 degrees.”

“Buing buing on repeat? What the heck?” Chanyeol laughed.

“Somewhatedly.” Suho nudged him, paying close attention.

“Now, stick your out and like, shift.”

 

“I know Abracadabra, don’t worry,” Sehun assured Lay. “But I really don’t know how to do the KARA dance.” The maknae admitted.

Chen and Kai clapped in anticipation.

“You don’t?” Lay asked exasperatedly.

“Yeah, how do you make a dance?”

They stayed awkwardly a few minutes.

Lay finally put his hands on Sehun’s hips and rotated them with the beat of the background music.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” Luhan screamed when he walked into the living room, dropping his bottle of water.

“I was teaching him Mister!” Lay explained, holding his hands up innocently.

“WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING GOING AROUND TOUCHING MY SEHUNNIE’S HIPS OH MY GOSH NOBODY SHIPS YOU WITH SEHUN ANYWAYS I DON’T SEE ANY FANFICTIONS ON LAYHUN OR SELAY SO YOU BETTER GET YO HANDS OFF HIS HIPS AND STOP PRESSING AGAINST HIS BODY OHHHHHH NO GURL YOU BETTER STAY AWAY-”

Kris leaped on Luhan and clasped his mouth shut.

“FJasdklfjakl;djfaklsjf” Luhan kept screaming despite being muffled.

 

Luhan stopped squirming, and Kris, thinking it was safe, took his hand away.

 

“KRIS JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE TAORIS DOESN’T MEAN YOU GET TO BLOCK MY MOUTH WHEN I’M IN THE MIDDLE OF A RANT~! YOU BARELY HAVE FLUFF FICS AND GUESS WHAT, DUIZHANG? I HAVE FLUFF AND !”

 

“WHAT MEDICATIONS ARE YOU ON?” Kris retorted loudly.

“Dude, calm down.” Suho patted Kris’ back.

“BUT THERE ARE TAORIS FLUFF!” Kris whined.

“HUNHAN HAS MORE ANGST!” Sehun said from the corner as he cowered behind Lay.

“That’s not a really good thing,” Lay said, shushing the maknae.

 

“You’ve clearly never went down the BaekYeol tags because oh, boy, there are so many, it shames your numbers!”

“Nothing is unless it’s KAISOO.” Kai smirked, and D.O. ducked his head, face red.

Lay hurried to calm his group mates.

“Guys, guys! Why don’t we just settle on OT12 fics?”

“Wow, I never could’ve guessed that Lay is the gang-bang and kind of guy,” Chen commented and the group burst into another round of discussion again.

 

---

okay so i can't imagine sehun to be the kind of maknae to do girl group dances, so the more i wrote the more i just twisted the situation until it went out of hand LOL