we are one

Maknae Lessons

 

Sehun breathed.

He did it again, inhaling the strong scent of sweat, tears, and blood.

A drop of saltiness rolled down his cheek in isolation.

His finger rose, plucking it away from his face.

Air fought to reach his lungs. Air fulfilled him.

“Sehun? Why are you all alone?”

He didn’t bother to raise his head.

 

“Hey? Sehun? Maknae-ya?” the voice tried again. Sehun felt a familiar fingertip, outlining his cheekbones, but Sehun kept firm eye contact with the floor.

“Joonmyun hyung,” he choked out, gasping. “Joonmyun hyung. Hyung. We did it.

 

Suho reached in, embracing the younger speechlessly.

“Joonmyun hyung…” Sehun faltered.

Shh. Sehun, just stand here. Look at the wall for a moment. Contemplate how awesome life is.”

“Oh, hyung…” Sehun whispered. He blinked, and hot drops of hard work and concentration spilled over the brims of his eyes.

“You’re young, Sehun. We were all young. We still are, and we will be for a long, long time. Appreciate yourself. Now the world knows us. They know you, Sehun. We’re EXO.”

“We’re EXO,” Sehun repeated numbly.

Suho sighed in content, frozen beside Sehun.

“We’re a team now. We’re official.”

“Yeah.”

“We’re one.”

“Yeah.”

“We’re family.”

“Yeah.”

“We’re screwed cause of you.”

“Yeah-wait, what? Hyung!” Sehun whined.

“I’m just joking, Sehun, you’re a gem. You’re special to us. You’re our secret weapon to get a lot of gifts from fans.” Suho laughed quietly.

“Are you here to make me feel good about myself or” Sehun pouted.

“We’re all glad that you’re part of this. Your hyungs and I, we all love you a lot. You might be the most annoying and boring kid around sometimes but you’re our maknae, and you’ll stay that way until forever.”

“Are you saying that I’ll stay annoying and boring forever?” Sehun sniffled.

“Aish, I’m not good at this. I’ll go check up on the other members. Don’t get into trouble. We’re going out to celebrate later.” Suho patted Sehun’s hair awkwardly.

“Bye, gramps!”

 

With all its dram, drudgery, and brokenness, it is still a beautiful world.

 

Sehun returned to his dark corner, looking at the wall, focusing, thinking about Suho’s words. He was scared, but there was a sense of excitement buzzing through him. He shivered.

“Maknae is cold?” a voice murmured behind him and Sehun jumped, yelping.

“Chanyeol hyung!” Sehun exclaimed in shock.

“What, so Joonmyun hyung can visit you and I can’t? Is there some special passport to enter Sehun’s Dark Corner?” Chanyeol joked, but his smile withered when he saw Sehun’s red eyes.

“Hey…” Chanyeol said softly. “Why are you crying?”

“I-I’m not crying,” Sehun muttered, roughly wiping away a new flood of scared tears.

Chanyeol put his hands firmly on his shoulders. “Don’t be scared.”

Sehun flinched. “I’m not scared, hyung, I’m a badass.”

“Even I, the baddest of the asses, get scared sometimes, Sehun. We’re all insecure. But just soak in the pride. We’ve debuted, Sehun. Debut!” Chanyeol claimed.

 

“So much attention on us…are you not scared? How do you do that?” Sehun wondered.

“Do what?” Chanyeol looked strangely at the kid.

“Smile. No matter what happens, you’re always smiling.” Sehun said, his eyes singling out the pearly white teeth and big grin on the rapper’s face.

“That’s my motto. No matter what happens, I’ll always smile like an idiot.”

“But you’re scared too.” Sehun pointed out.

“Yeah, I fear harsh outcomes. Nobody likes pressure. The general public is watching like a hawk. We have a reputation; we have to live up to our seniors’ names. You know what they say about worrying? Don’t. But smile. It’s easy, and it takes fewer muscles than punching someone in the face.”

 

“A few months ago I’d have thought you were a bully. You’re tall, and you have a scary voice. But I guess I judged you too soon. You’re a weak hyung.” Sehun smiled cheekily.

“I’m not weak!” Chanyeol exclaimed.

“Then why is Baekhyun hyung always manipulating you?”

 “Psh, if I haven’t got that motto, I’d have punched Bacon in the face more times than I’ve smiled at him,” Chanyeol huffed.

“And should I quote you directly and tell Baekhyun that?” Sehun grinned innocently.

“Yah! Don’t think about that. I need to return to Baekhyun and punch him – I mean, smile at him.”

Chanyeol ran off, but he shouted one final “Don’t think too much!” before the darkness swallowed his silhouette.

 

Do everything with a good intention.

 

“Don’t think too much about what? Having hardcore fun with Luhan once he’s drunk?” a new figure walked towards the slumped maknae in the corner.

“You’re rated R.”

“Yeah, R for wondeRful.”

Sehun rolled his eyes.

“What’s up? Care if I join the tears-fest?” the voice finally said after a while.

“Jongdae hyung…this whole concept is so new. This is it. It’s easier than I thought but at the same time so much harder and more complicated.”

“You’re right, Sehun. This is it. That debut showcase we just put up for all the fans…our reality and dreams finally collided.”

“It’s good to know that I have a lot of fans-”

Chen cleared his throat.

“It’s good to know that WE have a lot of fans, but doesn’t that mean more pressure?”

“Dude, it’s an inside pressure. There’s no change in air circulation whatsoever, it’s just your brain feeding you assaults. You know what real pressure is?”

“What?”

“When you’re taking a nap with Bao Zi and he rolls over and lands atop you. Now that’s real pressure, a load of pounds right on you.”

“Why would you sleep with Minseokie hyung anyways? You’re not even roommates.” Sehun peered at Chen suspiciously.

Chen coughed, embarrassed. “Well anyways, if something happens, it’s for a reason, so you’re here backstage at your debut showcase, soon to be broadcasted to the world, and there’s a reason. It’s fate.”

“Is it also fate that Minseok hyung ended up sleeping on top of you?”

“Of course not! I’m never the bottom!”

Chen quickly clasped his hands over his mouth and Sehun grinned sneakily at him.

“That’s enough of you pushing me into traps. I’m gonna go.” Chen nudged the younger teasingly and turned to leave.

“Thank you for the almost non-existent support, hyung.” Sehun called.

“Yep, always welcome! Just forget what stresses you!”

 

Go to sleep. It will be okay.

 

“Are you sleeping?” Sehun heard a voice ask in ridicule and opened one eye.

“No,” he replied.

“Are you happy?”

Sehun looked at the shadow strangely, but nodded.

“Yeah. Why would you ask that, Kris?”

“As Ernest Hemingway said, ‘happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.’” Kris said wisely.

“So you’re saying I’m rare? Thank you!” Sehun cried happily.

Kris rolled his eyes, keeping his face straight.

“I’m saying you’re not intelligent.”

They looked at each other silently, and then burst into laughter.

“Kris? Why do you not show many emotions?” Sehun quietly asked. Kris looked up at the sudden question, surprised.

“It was hard, getting here after everything that has happened in my life. I won’t specify, but I’m really glad I made it here. Through the years I’ve learned to control my emotions, just as what Tao taught you. It’s hard, Sehun.” Kris murmured, playing with the fancy silver rings on his fingers.

Sehun didn’t say anything, just looked at the moving shadows of faraway movements project on the wall.

A ring slipped off, landing on the ground with a sharp cling! That broke the silence.

“I’m glad you’re here too.” Sehun said sincerely, handing the delicate ring over to Kris.

The tall male choked a little on his breath.

“Kris gege?” Sehun asked, using Chinese awkwardly.

“That ring…it’s a special ring, Sehun. Take it.” Kris said breathlessly.

“What? No, it’s yours.” Sehun pushed the palm with the ring towards Kris.

“No, really, Sehun. It’ll mean a lot if you accept it.” Sehun, defeated, slipped the ring onto his finger, but at the same time looking at Kris strangely.

“It’s a friendship ring, Sehun. I bought it a long time ago in Canada, when I was a lonely kid that hasn’t yet discovered basketball and music. The other one is over here” Kris lift up his left hand to show an identical ring “because I’ve never wanted to give it to anyone else. But take it. With the ring, maybe you’ll actually mean something to me,” Kris smiled jokingly.

 

“Don’t let your past steal your future, Kris. We can move on together,” Sehun smiled widely, encouraging the older.

“Hey, it’s my job to be wise.” Kris chuckled. “I have to go now.”

“Where are you going?”

“I don’t know where I’m going, but I’m on my way,” Kris said sophisticatedly.

Sehun squinted at him and he sighed. “Fine, I’m just going to change into casual clothes for later. Bye!”

 

But if I had a chance, I’d do this all over again.

 

“Want a bao zi? Some fans sent it backstage,” the oldest said, towering over the kneeling Sehun.

“You’re strange.”

Xiumin looked hurt, but Sehun quickly said, “But I love you.”

“Do you sometimes wonder how we both got here?” Xiumin asked suddenly.

“Auditions?” Sehun said.

“No, like how we ended up playing this game of Life, how we chose our steps correctly and suddenly here we are in the square called Debut Showcase Backstage.”

“If it’s meant to be, it will be.” Sehun shrugged. “But it’s kind of cool, and mind blowing to think about… what did we do to all decide to audition? What did we do that made the company decide to put us together?”

“When I was younger, I knew I was good at something, but I just couldn’t find that something. It took me a while to place my passion in music.” Xiumin said, sitting down to level with Sehun.

“I wasn’t good at anything. I still think that. I can’t sing as well as Baekhyun or Kyungsoo hyung, I’m not the most ideal rapper, I’m imperfect, composed of flaws.” Sehun confessed.

“Imperfections are beauty.” Xiumin nodded curtly.

“You’re silly,” Sehun giggled.

“Silly is better than boring.”

“You’ve gone mad, hyung.”

“Madness is genius.”

“Are you okay?” Sehun chortled.

“It’s okay not to be okay.” Xiumin winked.

“WAIT, DID YOU JUST TAKE MY LAST BAOZI?!” Xiumin suddenly jumped up.

“Sorry, hyung,” Sehun said, opening his mouth. “Here, maybe it hasn’t reached my acidic stomach yet.”

Xiumin wrinkled his nose. “Bad maknae. I’m gonna go get some more baozi. See you later.”

 

If less is more, nothing is everything.

 

“Thehuuuunnn~!”

Sehun rolled his eyes at the loud obnoxious voice.

“Kai, are you not sleepy yet? Normally you’d be knocked out on the couch.”

“Why would I be sleepy?! We just finished our debut showcase! Kyah!” Kai squealed.

“Kay, just how many times did Kyungsoo hyung hug you?” Sehun asked.

“I couldn’t keep count! And everyone told me that you’re here at a lonely corner so here I am to cheer you up~” Kai grinned, a bright smile shining on his olive face.

“I’m not sad, I’m just thinking. Unlike you,” Sehun smiled a little.

“SEHUN. JUST BREATHE. DON’T PANIC.” Kai put his hands on Sehun’s shoulder, shaking him. “DON’T WORRY, SEHUNNIE.”

“Kai, man, you’re not okay.”

“I’m oKAI.”

“Did you drink alcohol?” Sehun pressed his lips into a thin line.

“I’m underage,” Kai shrugged. “I’m just having fun!”

“Should I call Kyungsoo hyung?” Sehun asked, worried.

“Mom, just let me live life!” Kai groaned.

“Kyungsoo hyung!” Sehun called.

“Yah!” Kai knocked himself onto Sehun, pushing them both to the floor.

Sehun heard footsteps running and heard Kyungsoo gasp.

“Kai? Sehun?” he gaped at them.

“H-hyung…help…Kai isn’t being normal.” Sehun choked.

Kyungsoo leaned down and bit Kai’s ear, causing the dark-toned boy to immediately jump up and all over the oldest.

“You’re welcome, Sehun,” D.O nodded.

“Thank you for the peace,” Sehun said gratefully.

“Nothing can bring you peace but yourself, Ralph Emerson,” was all D.O called back.

 

Look at the stars, look how they shine for you.

 

“Why are you here alone?” Lay asked.

“Hi Yixing,” Sehun greeted.

“Why are you alone?” Lay asked again.

“I’m thinking.” Sehun answered.

“Thinking about why you’re here alone, or thinking about something else?” Lay asked.

“Thinking about life, in general.”

“Are you lonely?” Lay swiped at the floor with his fingertips, and sat down.

“Sometimes, yeah.” Sehun confessed.

“People are lonely because they build walls instead of bridges…” Lay trailed off.

“Are you lonely?” Sehun asked.

Lay’s eyes widended.

“You care?” he asked, shocked.

“Why would I not? You’re nice, a wonderful dancer, a great singer, a talented guitarist, just awesome in general.”

“I am?” it was Lay’s turn to be touched. “Thank you…”

“Oh, if only you could see what us and all the fans see. You’d feel so much better about yourself.” Sehun mumbled.

“Sometimes I feel like . I just wanna quit, and feel normal for a bit.” Lay said into Sehun’s embrace.

“It’s okay, you’ve made it.” Sehun murmured.

“Sometimes I want to disappear…” Lay sobbed.

“Don’t, Yixing. We need you. Your family needs you. This world needs more Zhang Yixing’s.”

“There’s a place out there for me somewhere,” Lay whispered quietly.

“That place is here, ge ge. You belong here.” Sehun said seriously.

“Thank you, Sehun. I was supposed to make you feel better, but instead…” Lay burst into another round of tears.

“Take a breathe. Let it come easy.” Sehun put his hand on Lay’s back, gently guiding him.

“Thanks for being an unbiological brother, Sehun. I have to go change now. I suppose Baekhyun will come soon, after he finishes a smiling session with Chanyeol.”

Sehun grinned at the words smiling session.

 

The best things in life aren’t things.

 

“Hi, Sehun.” Baekhyun shyly said.

“Hi, hyung.” Sehun smiled innocently.

“I’m sorry.”

“What? Why?” Sehun immediately darkened.

“When I was giving you your lesson…I was really mean. I’m sorry. I was sensitive.”

“Hyung, holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. I’ve forgave you a long time ago, and I’m sorry for being a brat.”

“But you’re still a brat.”

“I tried,” Sehun stuck out his tongue naughtily.

“I just wanted to let you know, I’m really glad you’re our maknae and I really love you so much and I think you’re wonderful and you’re extremely funny so you wouldn’t need my help. I’m happy to be working and to be brothers with you.”

“Why are you speaking so fast?” Sehun wondered.

“Because I don’t care about you,” Baekhyun winked.

“The less you care the less you have to lose.” Sehun stated.

“Fine, I have a lot to lose. I care. It’s just…I miss the presence of Chanyeol.”

“What?!” Sehun exclaimed and Baekhyun leaned away, embarrassed.

“Don’t tell him I said that! I’m the strong independent one around here.” Baekhyun patted his chest proudly.

“Sure, hyung, suuuure.”

 

We all live under the same sky.

 

“Sehun!”

“Hi Tao ge ge,” Sehun bowed his head.

“I hope you’re not sad anymore,” Tao said. “Don’t worry, I cried a lot too. It’s been emotional tonight.”

“I was never sad, don’t worry. I was emotionally overwhelmed but with the help of everyone, I feel better.”

“That’s great,” Tao said awkwardly.

“Listen, Sehun…I’m sorry I can’t really express myself freely in Korean, and I’m a shy person…however, thank you for putting up with me and not getting tired.”

“Tao…how could I ever? You’re such an inspiration.”

“And I have to hurry because otherwise a certain someone would murder me, but from maknae to maknae, stay strong. The sky is full of dreams.”

“As a maknae, I thank you too. Too young to notice, too dumb to care.”

 

Two birds never sing the same song.

 

“Finally, after all those agonizing care sessions.” Luhan sighed, sinking beside Sehun.

“Were you getting jealous back there?” Sehun smiled.

“Quite, especially when Chanyeol bounced out with a smile, man, I wanted to strangle the kid, but he was too tall.”

“Don’t worry, Chanyeol always smiles.”

“I know.” Luhan laughed, crinkling the air and they sank into comfortable silence.

 

“I can’t believe we’ll be separating soon…” Sehun whimpered.

“Oh, Sehunnie…” Luhan’s head plopped onto Sehun’s broad shoulders. “You think too much. We’ll always be connected in one way or another.”

“It wouldn’t be the same, we won’t be getting bubble tea together everyday,” Sehun pouted.

“But look on the bright side, you won’t be fat.”

Sehun whined. “I’d choose to be fat if it means having bubble tea with you everyday.”

“And the ice cream…we can have bubble tea and ice cream together and both be fat.”

“Yes, because who cares about the fans? We’re young. Let’s just eat until we die.” Sehun joked.

“You’re a bad, bad boy.” Luhan nudged Sehun, teasing him.

“You’re the best friend of a bad, bad boy. Congratulations.” Sehun said, hugging Luhan tightly from the back.

“I can’t breathe, Sehun.”

“Because the sight of me takes your breath away?” Sehun smiled cutely.

“Dude, I can’t see you, I’m in front of you.” Luhan clucked his tongue at Sehun’s idiocy.

 

“oh, why didn’t I know this is the sight that will greet me,” their manager groaned when he neared the two.

“Hello, want to join us?” Sehun asked adorably.

“Nope, but want to join us? We’re going to leave soon for the celebratory party.”

“Great! Yay!” Sehun jumped up, excited. “Joonmyun hyung said that the company invited the sunbaenims too? That’s awesome!”

“Just hold on a moment…you’re underage.”

Sehun looked at the manager in shock and disappointment.

“But I’m overage mentally!” he complained.

“Sorry, I don’t own the club, and I’m not the bartender.” The manager shrugged, looking apologetic.

 

“Hyung!” Sehun whined, stamping his feet. “I’m just a few days to 18!”

“Hey, we can go to the café in Gangnam if you want.” Luhan offered nicely.

“Bubble tea?” Sehun asked, eager.

“And ice cream.” Luhan promised.

“Ice cream? Oh man, I want to go too!” Chanyeol cried with glee.

“If Chanyeol’s going, then I am too!” Baekhyun called.

 

The twelve boys got separated into two vans, heading towards the local ice cream parlor.

“Oh Sehun and Luhan, you’re gonna get it so bad,” the M manager said, looking at the K manager.

“Manager hyung~” Sehun said in a cute voice. “I love you!”

“Say that to SNSD, they’re not going to be happy when they realize they’ve been ditched by twelve guys for ice cream.”

“Hyung, are you just grumpy that you’re not going to see SNSD?” Luhan chuckled.

“Shush.”

 

They ended up going to the club after getting ice cream, and Sehun was able to enter because of his coming birthday.

“Toast to EXO’s debut~!” the managers trilled and Suho lifted his shotglass, Kris following him and their seniors as well.

Sehun eagerly gulped down his drink, his face darkening immediately, everyone giggling.

“WHY DO I GET ORANGE JUICE?”

 

---

that is it!

this is the end of this story, and i hope you all enjoyed it. i want to thank you all for being the world's best readers, the enthusiastic and funny comments and feedback you guys write for me, and thank you so so much and i could not have wished for better readers than y'all.

chokyute: lolol author nim, these chapters are getting better and better ~~ ^^

thank you for being there since the beginning, chokyute! i love your support and truthfully, i smiled an entire day after reading your comment. <3

candycane96: Ahahaha I love how kyungsoo hit kai on the head with the spatula! XD

Omg. Sehuns engrish is funny! Poor Kris hahah sehuns being all playful and knot listening to hyungs! And then Luhan comes<3
Ur welcome! Don't worry, I'll always comment!<3 I love this fic!
When the next chapter is posted....."I'll be back~" lol (cue 2pm songs)

you're just like me, i love cueing 2pm songs for random occasions! thank you for your constant comments and for appreciating my humor~ i love you so much, words cannot express it! thank you again and again (cue 2pm ;D )

babyYoo: so cute so cuteeee awwww please update authornim!!!! >A<

thank you for thinking this is cute~ i hope you enjoyed my updates <3

babyYoo: Omg sehuna don't be a troll! You're too precious! Not that chen is not, but let him be. N you're being the angelic maknae everyone loved :) 

keke we all love our resident troll Chen and angelic innocent sehunnie ;D 

jiyooonie98: Haha! this is so funny! i was laughing by myself in the room in the middle of the night! Sehun is sooooooo cuteeeeee! please update soon! 

omo thank you for thinking this is funny, i appreciate that so much! i felt energetic after reading your comment and it cheered me up so much! yes our sehunnie is so kawaii <3

awshomelleirda: D'awww. this'll be sad its ending already! will ya make it longer? that'd be great if you would. /pouts. right? but el oh el, i love your updates. update more, author-nim. (': 

truthfully, when i was writing this chapter i was thinking of your comment. i felt really bad i couldnt extend this longer because i've reached the end of my creativity and i couldnt think of anything else for sehun to do, as every member is finished. i hope you enjoyed this extra long chapter and thank you for loving my chapters <3

parkHeeRin: OMG, I love this story. I just read it all today! Its so funny and cute! I love all of the couple moments!~ Gah! XD

Update soon! :D 

omo thank you for taking time to read this story and thank you for your compliments~ i hope you enjoyed this update <3

janglaymun: 12:30 in the morning and im laughing like hell when i supposed to be sleeping xD HOW CAN YOU DO THIS TO ME? I HAVE SCHOOL 2MORROW XDD

ahh im so sorry for making you sleep deprived xD!! HAHAHA I HOPE YOUR TEACHER DIDNT GET MAD AT YOU~! just tell him/her to blame me ;D

 

animeotakupooh

hello~ thank you for commenting with each chapter you read~ 

chp2: hehe i was so high when i wrote it, and i just think, aww wouldnt it be entertaining if our maknae did that? ;D

chp3: yes! thank you for understanding my semi-crack-fic! i love how exo could just be the craziest boys ever

chp4: who cant resist some hunhan?

chp6: sehun and chanyeol dont interact much in real life but when they do they have a warm spark going on. thank you <3

chp8: we all love some y feminine lay (lol hes my exo-m bias i was so ecastatic when i wrote this)

ch10: our lovely troll jongdae<3

ch11: OuO sorry i made it hard to understand, it was supposed to portrait the boys more excited about f(x)'s comeback than their own. xD

nari-shi: Hi! New reader! ^^ I love how each member have a lesson with sehun and bond in theirbown special way.

Gotta love chen and tao. Update soon author-nim! Hwaiting! 

hello~ i love new readers ! thank you for reading this story and im so sorry i ended it just when you came along, but i hope you liked this story and the ending ~ <3