out of bounds

Burning Snowflakes

 

It was impossible to sleep. It was too cold and you were too anxious. At the same time you were too scared to go out of the room. It was likely that Taemin would be asleep, and this house was too big, dark and cold to go exploring as the only conscious person. Maybe it was the cold that finally sent you to sleep, or the fact that you ran out of tears.

The morning came and you awoke wondering how on earth you had survived the night. You walked over and looked at yourself in the mirror. Your skin looked paler already, probably from the cold. Even your eyes appeared sullen and darker than you remember them being.

You reluctantly went over to the wardrobe and pulled a black dress from the hanger and hid yourself in the corner behind a curtain to put it on. You didn’t feel at all comfortable or alone in this room to not hide your dignity.

Your footsteps creaked as you walked down the staircase and peered into each room, looking for Taemin.

‘Taemin?’ you would ask, hearing your voice echoing on empty walls. Where was he? You looked in the big room of mirrors, but there was no-one there, nor the little sitting room or the kitchen. You sighed before walking back upstairs and opened each door, calling his name. You eventually reached his bedroom door and instead of opening it straight away, you knocked. But there was no reply.

‘Taemin, are you in there?’ nothing. You puffed out your cheeks in frustration. The house was big, but how could he not hear you?

You suddenly thought about the room you weren’t allowed, Taemin’s private place where you was forbidden to go.

But right now, you were angry. He was keeping you here yet he wasn’t around. You didn’t care how private that place was, it was worth the look to see if he was there, surely.

 

You reached the bottom of the little set of stairs hiding in the shadows and your footsteps silently climbed, and you peered into the room. It didn’t look like he was here either… Still, you walked in all the same and stood in front of the beautiful piano. You wondered if you were still able to play, if you could remember what you had learnt when you were little. It would be nothing like as beautiful as the music that Taemin played so elegantly but… your hand reached out and your fingers hovered above the middle ‘c’. You knew you should have turned and left before Taemin found you there but what would he do? He was just a boy. A beautiful, slightly intimidating, yet angelic looking, mysterious and perfect boy…

‘Get away from there!’ the voice was sharp, dark and excruciatingly beautiful. Your heart landed in your mouth as you spun around in shock but was met initially not with the beautiful face of Taemin, but his harsh greeting; a hard push from where you stood and the stumble and fall against the corner of the piano, a searing pain hitting your head.

You yelped as the blood trickled down the back of your neck but you remained unaware. You stared up at Taemin, eyes wide and full of fear caught in your tears. He was a blur, as your crying distorted your sight of him and the concussion that was setting in. You tried to breathe but he just glared down at you, making it even harder.