the golden staircase

Burning Snowflakes

 

The gold banister shone despite the darkness that ran through the rest of the corridor, each large step seemed so welcoming.

One step, two steps, three steps.

It was a slow and steady climb that took a while as you counted fifty steps before reaching the first floor. You looked around at the many doors that occupied this space and wondered if there would be a single soul in any of them but you were almost too afraid to find out.

Suddenly, a very soft sound broke the silence. It took a while for you to notice, but then it was impossible to miss. Your heart pounded faster, your breath quickening. It was music. But where…? It didn’t sound close enough to be in any of these rooms. You paced the ground carefully, putting an ear to each door but the music didn’t come from any of them.

Suddenly this felt like a very foolish idea and you were scared out of your wits. But something was dragging you through and making you want to stay here and be in that danger. As you headed for what you thought would be a small hallway leading to another door, you were greeted by another smaller set of stairs. But there was no door at the top, soft light came from it and so did the music, clearer than ever. You pondered on the first step, another decision to be made. You needed to see who it was who lived here and find out why you were here but you were scared. The whole atmosphere didn’t welcome you and encourage you to believe you were dumped here with good intentions.

But you made this decision too and placed a hand on the wall to balance yourself as you stepped one step, two steps, three steps… all the way to fifteen this time. Your fingers ran across the worn out wallpaper of old floral print, damp and grey and ripped in places. Then you stood at the top of the stairs, and backed up against the wall, peering inside.

At first you saw no one but with a slight turn of your head you saw a large grand piano and sat at it, their back turned to you, was the source of that beautiful music. It was almost impossible for you to see what kind of person this was, but you were enchanted. It seemed to be a boy, with soft blonde hair that was slightly dishevelled. His body was lean, clothed all in black. He turned his head slightly as he looked towards the higher notes on the keys, his fingers dancing and the sound sending shivers down your spine.

Then, all of a sudden, he stopped playing. You gasped, hiding yourself against the wall again and shut your eyes tightly. You counted to ten in your head and didn’t dare open your eyes in case you would see the mysterious figure in front of you, perhaps ready to kill?...you still had no idea what was waiting for you. But you felt a sudden sense of relief when the playing resumed and ran down the stairs. You chose a door at random and opened it slowly.

Inside was furniture all covered in white sheets, it was freezing cold in here but you didn’t have the time to be picky. In a panic, you lifted one of the sheets that covered a table, sat yourself under it and pulled the sheet around.

 

Now you were scared.

You held back making any noise while you wept, wondering what on earth you were doing here and what was going to happen. You didn’t know if you would be able to make a run for it and get out of here before that boy saw you... but then another part of you wanted to stay. You wanted to catch a glimpse of his face, to see if he would be as beautiful and mysterious as the music he played. You wanted to know why you were here, but it felt so dangerous now you were on your own.

You stayed this way for what felt like hours, listening to the faint sound of the mesmerising piano playing that echoed the first floor. When the music stopped again, you felt suddenly on edge, your heart pounding as you heard footsteps approach your door… and then pass it completely, fading into silence. You waited for a good twenty minutes before gathering the courage to leave this room and try and get another glimpse, something was drawing you to him and you didn’t know what it was. At least if he was downstairs, you could make a run for it through the front door to try and get away but staying up here meant you would be trapped.

The door opened into the empty corridor and you lingered at the top of the grand staircase, looking around to see if you could see or hear any signs of him being around. There was no noise at all. You cascaded down the stairs as quickly as you could, this silence and suspense making you feel out of your depth.

I need to get out of here.

You ran down the black and white floor and pulled at the front door when… more music.

But this music came from downstairs and was a different kind of music. It was classical, piano and orchestra sounds clashing together but there was somewhat upbeat, synthetic drumming to it that sent pulses of rhythm through the lifeless building. It was the sort of music you would dance to, the sort of music a normal, young person would listen to.

You found yourself creeping towards where the music came from and didn’t really understand why you were doing it.

Just turn around and run away, what are you doing?

Your silent footsteps led you to below the grand staircase where a doorway waited, the music flowing freely from within. You cautiously peered in, hiding in the shadows. Your eyes met a room that was full of mirrors, reflecting many times that boy who stood the middle of the room, his eyes shut, taking in breaths. You couldn’t escape the reflection of him, he was absolutely beautiful. You couldn’t see too clearly as you didn’t dare attempt to lean in any closer but you were in a trance. As the music increased in pace, his body locked and tensed and loosened, he spun around and let his arms cross over himself as he felt the music and matched his choreography so perfectly.

Mysterious was an understatement, enchanting incredibly appropriate… some kind of angel maybe, or a devil. In this short space of time, you’d come across two sides of this boy, but it was impossible to tell yet just who or what he was.

He was graceful and quiet and old fashioned while he played the piano creepily yet beautifully upstairs… almost like a ghost in that big empty room. But now, the way he danced in this hall of mirrors was mesmerising in a different way, so much talent, and so much perfection. He was terrifying in a strange way, but you couldn’t take your eyes off him.