please, don't go

Burning Snowflakes

 

Time seemed to have stopped.

The house fell silent once again, so silent all you could hear was your anxious breathing, and feel Taemin’s own breath on your neck, refusing to let go or look up. His heart still pounded in his chest as if he was still having that nightmare, as if you hadn’t yet woken him at all. An uneven beat, you were wrong, you realised two hearts were pounding and you bit down on your lip.

I’m not nervous.

I’m not scared.

It’s nothing.

Something disrupted you from your thoughts, the boy who held you mumbled something you didn’t quite catch but the warmth of his breath as he spoke, the ever so slight brush of his lips against your skin made you uncomfortable. You felt a sudden coldness, goose-bumps coming up on your arms. You shuddered and Taemin felt it, squeezing you even tighter.

‘T-T-Taemin…’ you spluttered, struggling to breathe. ‘You can let go now.’ that’s what you told him at least, but you didn’t know if that was really what you wanted. You tried to push him away but he continued to hold you with no intention of letting go. You wondered how someone with such a waif-like frame, skinny arms of thin muscle could be so strong. You heard him sniffle, felt him take in a deep breath before finally loosening his grip on your waist.

He was staring, with his dark, puffy eyes glistening with the tears that still remained in them, capturing the moonlight. His hair was a dishevelled mess, now almost silver in the dim light that surrounded you.  Whatever it was that tortured him in his dream what felt like hours ago, even though it could have only been moments, still lingered in his mind, his eyes still glittery with the remnants of fear. His eyes were still pleading, as if he was still shouting for help without screaming it out, without even saying a word.

You smiled at him weakly and uneasily as if that would sooth him, as if that meant he would let you get back and go to your own room now that you knew he was safe. ‘It’s okay… you can sleep now.’ you attempted further to break the silence, get some kind of response other than this beautiful, yet terrified and vacant gaze. He still didn’t answer you, just continued to stare at you with an expression you were struggling to read in his eyes. You’d thought it was fear, just a sleepy dazed expression, but now you weren’t so sure. Sleep was starting to catch up with you; you rubbed your eyes and let out a sigh. ‘Goodnight Taemin.’ You whispered sleepily and stood up from his bed to leave.

‘No!’ Taemin let out a sharp whimper, a sudden spark of life, and he grabbed your wrist and pulled you back to him.

In the space of seconds he clasped one hand on your neck, the other brushing your cheek, pushing your hair over your shoulder. Taemin took a sharp breath, the space closed between skin; his sore, full lips capturing yours in an unfamiliar yet beautiful warmth. Your wide eyes stared at his eyelashes that still held a dew of tears that you hadn’t been able to dry. ‘Don’t leave me.’

He whispered against your tender lips that stung from the surprise. Your chest closed up and your pursed your lips firmly shut so he couldn’t kiss you again. What was he doing? Was he still dreaming? Were you the one that was dreaming? The sparkle was still in his eyes but now it was more unreadable than ever. You had to leave. Be it head or heart that caused you it, you dragged you body away from his and fled his room slamming his door shut and stumbling down the dark hallway to your room, crawled into your own bed that had turned icy cold in your absence, fingers placed to your lips and a hand gripping to your chest as if that would calm your heart down.