the guided tour

Burning Snowflakes

 

‘Why am I here?’ you said, voice trembling.

‘I could ask you the same thing. This is my house after all.’ He replied plainly. As irritating as it was, he was right.

‘But… you just said you were wondering when I was getting here. You knew I was coming.’

‘Aish… you talk a lot.’ He said rolling his eyes, standing up.

‘I barely said anything.’ You squeaked trying to pull yourself up.

The boy headed for the door. ‘Where are you going?’ you asked, following him.

‘Don’t you want the guided tour?’ he suddenly turned and stopped dead in front of you, you nearly walked right into him.

‘Who are you?’ you stammered, gazing hypnotised up at the boy.

‘My name’s Lee Taemin. But you can call me Oppa.’ He smiled slightly. You would have laughed if he wasn’t so innocently scary.

‘I’m…’

‘I already know your name.’ he interrupted, smile disappearing as he turned away from you and headed out the door. He was a creep, but the most beautiful creep you ever met.

‘Every room in the house is basically the same but you can go wherever you want.’ He spoke up, his voice echoing through the hallway. ‘All of the furniture is covered because I can’t be bothered to clean everything.’

Your footsteps clicked down the hall to the end. ‘The only place I don’t want you going is up those stairs.’ He tilted his head towards the small staircase you’d gone up before. ‘That’s the one place I’d like to keep to myself.’

‘What’s up there?’ you asked, seeing if he would elaborate any further than the piano.

‘I’m keeping it to myself.’ He turned and glared back at you. ‘You get that, right?’

You swallowed the lump in your throat but nodded. It was scary how his temperament didn’t match his perfect and innocent looking face. He stepped over to one of the closed doors and opened it.

‘This is my bedroom.’ He stepped inside and you followed. You stared at the huge four-poster bed, rich red duvet cover that seemed to be the only bright colour in the entire house, satin throws and soft, white pillows. There was no t.v, no forms of technology other than the lights that seemed unused for there was burnt out candles here and there. Instead, rows of books lined the walls.

‘Of course, I don’t want to make you feel uncomfortable so you have a room too.’ He said walking out of his room and crossing to the door on the other side of the hall. He opened the door and you followed him in.

It was ice cold in there because no one had clearly been in there for a long time. There was a bed the same size as Taemin’s, but the duvet was covered in floral pattern and soft pinks. You almost smiled at how pretty it was, but you were still terrified.

‘You’re really going to make me stay here without giving me an explanation?’

‘For now, yes.’ Taemin said blankly walking over to the window forcing it open. ‘You should be grateful. If you haven’t noticed already there’s a blizzard outside and we’re miles away from anyone else. You’d get lost and die if I let you go.’ He held his palm the window and caught some snow flakes as they fell into his hand. It was so cold in the room that they stayed snow flakes for a few seconds before they started to melt into water and he shook it off, wiping his hand on his jacket, before shutting the window again.

‘There’s even clothes in the wardrobe. I hope you like black.’ He smirked, waiting for you to go and take a look. You wandered over and reluctantly threw the door open of the mahogany wardrobe. It was all very black, but the fabrics were luxurious. Strangely enough, as melancholic as it may have seemed, black was your favourite colour.

‘Why is everything the right size?’

‘Lucky guess.’ He said walking out of the room. You stayed staring at the clothes for a second before running after Taemin.

‘Where are your parents’ rooms?’ you asked noticing that Taemin was going downstairs before showing you the rest of the rooms.

He stopped still on the staircase and turned around. His eyes were sad.

‘My parents don’t live here, it’s just me.’

‘All on your own?’ you asked, beginning to walk down the stairs.

‘Yes.’ He answered, continuing down the steps.

He walked into a large living room next, where furnishings were polished and wooden, chandeliers hanging and a fur rug on the floor. It must have been a bear. Again, there was no television, just books. Following the living room was the dining room, where despite Taemin stating he lived here alone, a table about twenty foot long stretched down the room. Candle holders littered its surface and place mats were out, but it didn’t look used at all.

‘I barely use these two rooms.’ Taemin said, heading out through another door.

He was walking towards another. Inside was a huge open planned kitchen, that seemed to be the most modern of every room, fridge, washing machine, oven.

‘You can eat whatever you want, there’s a lot of stuff in the cellar downstairs.’ Taemin pointed towards a little door in the corner before heading out.

You wondered where he got the food from, how he survived here all by himself.

The next room was like a lounge but smaller than the one at the front. This seemed more homely, it was warm like it actually was lived in, a fire place burning brightly on the far wall. There was a big sofa, soft velvet like dark material draped over it, and more books scattered across the floor. There was an old vinyl record player too, and some large speakers that seemed out of place.

‘I spend a fair bit of time in here but you can come in here if you want because it’s warmer than everywhere else.’

Taemin looked back at you for a while. ‘You don’t have to look so scared, I’m not going to hurt you.’ He then noticed you were still holding onto your arm. ‘Except for maybe that time, but I panicked, I’m sorry.’

Even if he was going to kill you, he was charming and you forgave him. Even though he was showing you around his house as if you were never going to leave and you had no idea why, you didn’t even think to question him yet.

He walked past you and headed for the door. He was walking towards the room of mirrors where it all started.

‘This was another of my personal spaces, but seeing as you already know about it, you can come here if you must.’ He stepped inside and you followed.

You stared at your reflections that duplicated themselves around the room. He seemed a lot taller than you in comparison, but your skin was similar in its milky complexion.

‘You’re a good dancer.’ You muttered.

‘Thank you. I have the time to waste doing it.’ He said. In the corner was a loud boom system with many speakers scattered around. As you both headed for the door, you noticed that one of the large mirrors was cracked multiple times, as if someone had smashed it in rage. You didn’t think to ask about it.

‘Well...’ Taemin took a deep breath. ‘That’s basically everything.’

‘Aren’t you going to tell me why I’m here?’

‘Don’t you want to be here?’

‘I don’t know.’ You answered. It was the truth at least.

‘Then I can’t tell you.’

‘That makes no sense.’ your voice started trembling against the cold.

‘Nothing ever does.’ He replied. ‘I’m going to my room for a while. Leave me alone.’

‘You’re just going to leave me down here?’ you asked beginning to follow him.

‘I said you can go wherever you like.’ He snapped. ‘But I’d rather you didn’t come with me right now. I’ll see you later okay?’ Taemin turned his back on you and paced up the stairs too quickly for you to catch up. You just slumped down on the bottom step and leaned your head against the banister.