Chapter Eight

Fast and the Furious

 

The cheers never died down, but it faded after both drivers drove farther away from the starting line. Hungry tires screeching and the pounding blood on their veins alerted both. Amber was on the lead, but when she looked at the rearview mirror back at the Aventador, it suddenly looked tauntingly haunted and in one swift movement, had overtaken her.

The road was still wide enough for both cars to drive side by side, and it happened fast after he overtook her. She was suddenly on his side, which he responded to by gripping the steering wheel tighter. She arched her back and rammed a fist on the GPS and it came to life. She rolled the car window down and a strong whiff of air slammed on her face, making her lose focus for a few seconds. She blew the hair strands that covered her eyes to look past the surroundings. Suffocated by the rushing images running on her vision, she continued to mentally curse her opponent for trying to poison her but doing so suddenly made her dizzy. She took in some fresh air before concentrating once again on the road, stalling for a few seconds. When GD’s engine rang out as it rushed past her, that’s when she realized that he was once again on the lead.

 

“Come out alive, okay?”

Victoria.

 

“Because I don’t want to lose you.”

Henry.

 

I need to win this for them. She thought to herself before stepping hard on the accelerator.

With a renewed sense of aspiration, she was determined to tail on him and when she got the chance, overtake him again, but when she looked at the GPS, she cursed.

They are now near the one lane road. It wouldn’t be so dangerous if it wasn’t situated beside a cliff and the bend ahead will not be a help either, but if she wouldn’t act now, she will miss her chance and lose. This is the dangerous part, and her system is running crazy. Now she understood why many ended up dead. All of them pushed through it. Some were lucky to make the sharp turn and live, and some fell on the cliff and to their deaths. She can choose to fell back and let the monster win, for it will surely ensure her safety, but she knew she can’t handle the shame of losing.

She’s too full of pride for that.

On her calculation, she has 4 minutes left before she missed her chance; before the foreboding havoc. GD’s car is now far, it will be a total of 3 minutes before she can overtake him again.

This is now, or never.

 

           All three figures looked away. They couldn’t watch it anymore, but the cheers around them grew louder, making it hard for them to totally clear out of the excitement. This is the most interesting part of the race; the racers are now approaching the deathly one lane road. One might still be able to end the race, and one will face death... But the question is,

          Who will?

- - -

 

           Henry was gripping the GPS on his hand, and for the first time ever since he took hold of it, he was wishing badly for GD’s opponent to win the race this time. The nervousness he’s experiencing is slowly showing. “Henry, he’ll win this. Loosen up dude, you know our dragon.” Seungri’s voice seemed distant. He offered him a blank stare, a contradiction to the uneasiness he felt inside...

          “This is it Henry, if that Eunyoung won’t overtake him before the one lane road and the bend, then it’s a sure win for our Yong.” Seungri’s lips curled into a nasty smile, and Henry was fighting the urge to punch his face.

 

          “Krystal...”

          Krystal’s heart beats crazily on her chest; it was like having panic attacks, but far worse than the usual. Sulli looked at her friend and she nodded her head to assure Sulli she’s fine. Firmly massaging her hand, Krystal courageously stood up from where she was seated to join the hyped crowd, much to her distain... She saw Victoria across from her; her eyes raging mad after seeing Krystal suddenly hyped and joining the crowd’s ravenous cheers and cursing. If there’s something Krystal wanted badly at this moment, it’s for Victoria to be mad. To feel what she felt at the club when they were busy dirty dancing, when his hands roamed the map of her body, when he looked at Victoria longingly. That is what Krystal badly wanted.

          But after seeing Victoria’s very worried eyes and nervous body shaking despite being surrounded by cheering people, she suddenly felt guilty at even thinking about it. Dipping her head low, Krystal suddenly looked at the ground and wished for it to swallow her attitude whole…

 

          The trembling lips of Victoria felt numb, and her eyes are almost bulging out of their sockets. She had her back on the screen with her hands clasped together, but after sensing the excitement of the people around her, the blonde girl finally braved a look at the screen. She caught sight of a hyped Krystal across from where she was standing, and what Victoria saw fused into the latter’s stupid face almost made her run across and beat her out of the state she was in. But there is no time for her, she merely glared at the younger one and watched as she dismissed her cheery attitude altogether.

          Victoria’s face drained of blood when she glanced at the screen and noticed that the Viper was keeping up with the Aventador. It was like seeing a flashback; all I want now is for Eunyoung to turn the car back to safety.

          Back to her.

 

          Ji Yong felt the car behind him sped up, and he started smiling. He gripped the stirring wheel tighter, using every ounce of strength his arm can give off. Being in the racing track for almost 6 years taught him so much, one of which is not to be swayed or affected by the bodies that might turn up dead by the end of every race. The GPS installed in his car states that in less than two minutes, his opponent will have to suffer either the shame of losing, or the pains of death. But knowing full well that Eunyoung is not someone to give up without a good fight, he decided that by the end of the race, the other will end up dead.

         The thought excited him, because even if he wanted to dispel the images of Victoria out from his mind, he can’t thoroughly push the images of Eunyoung and her together, especially when they were busy dirty dancing on the club. This got him wanting for Eunyoung’s death the more. For 6 years he abided by the rules of a clean race, but tonight might just be an exception. If nature will not take care of Eunyoung, he will...

          The bend is now a few meters away from him, and he is still on the lead. Killing his opponent is not an option anymore; it’s a sure win for him anyway.

          Until—

 

 


 

 

I decided to give it a shot, although I know it’s a sure sign of stupidity, I still revved my engine and stepped hard on the accelerator. As I swivelled the stirring wheel, my only thoughts is that I hope I survive. I suddenly felt the need to.

I wished for my numb hands not to beguile me, for it to push through.

One minute I was stepping hard on the accelerator with my eyes fixed on GD’s car as I approach it, then the next I found myself pressing my car and swerving it to overtake my opponent.

My head jerked back from the sudden impact of the speed from my swerve, and it took me minutes before it registered on my mind that I made it out alive, that I am past the bend and now on the one lane road.

And that I am leading.

Though I am alert on the road, I can just imagine the screams and disappointments of GD’s people on the starting lane, but I couldn’t care less. I may just finish this off alive and even win. I kept my promise at them.

I live.                                                                                                   

 



 

 

 

          Victoria and Henry’s eyes are now glued on the screen, but before looking up at it again, their eyes met. Victoria is below, circled by the people cursing and throwing up their hands in the air because of Amber’s advancement on the race. Henry is on the elevated part with a cursing Seungri, a stoic Taeyang, and a disappointed Daesung, all of which are GD’s friends. Both Victoria and Henry looked nervous, intense fear visible in their eyes. For a moment they forget their personal indifferences and offered awkward nods at each other before Victoria looked up at the screen once more and before Henry clutched the small GPS on his hand, dismissing the thoughts of GD for a little while.

 

 


Merry Christmas dear friends :D A little offer for my precious people. :) 

Truth be told, I don't think this is a good update, but I figured this is decent enough so...yeah, there you go.

 

♦ Achailee