Chapter Nine

Fast and the Furious

 

The waning moon in front of me seemed more alive as it guided me toward the end of the race, egging me on. It suddenly felt creepy, there are no post lights and the only sound seemed to come from the motor of my car. I can clearly hear the faint screeching of GD’s Aventador still far in the distance. I hadn’t noticed that I was really far from him now, I guess my pumped up blood made it impossible for things to fully register on my mind.

 

I quickly took a glance on the rearview mirror but when I again looked in front of me, a sudden slash of light made me step on the brakes; my head lunged forward and hit the steering wheel, hard. I breathed out, I’m sure glad I’m still breathing, but was she for real?

 

I might have seen Viktoria; she came as a sheer gash with some distinct womanly features still evident. Never had I imagined that I will ever come across something supernatural. I am a nonbeliever until a minute ago, but I will not be swayed by her, or by anything else for that matter.

 

Cocking my head from side to side, I started my engine once more, but it only came back to life for a few seconds before it came to a sudden halt. Cursing, I concentrated my eyes on the road, but I felt warm viscous liquid trickled down my forehead to my face. I stole a quick glance at the rearview mirror and saw a horizontal gash above my right eye, blood already chasing its way out the wound. The sound of GD’s motor is getting louder and clearer, a sign that he’s keeping up pace. If I can’t get my car to start, GD might collide with me.

 

Worst case scenario, not just one body might turn up dead. A collision will surely kill us both.

 

I slammed my fist on the steering wheel, repeatedly until it started aching. I can almost mentally smell the engine of GD’s car nearing me. Pathetic as it can be, I jabbed my fingers on the car’s panel board and tinkered with the dials.

 

Come on now... Come on!

 

I ignored the pounding blood in my ears and the blinding pinch of hurt in my wound, it would surely mean nothing if I won’t get the car to start.

 

My renewed desire to live made me want to push through. I want to live, for Victoria, for Henry, and for her. Panicking, I ran my hand through my sweat filled hair and breathed in and out rapidly.

 

I started the car once more, and this time, it revved up to life. I sped off the Viper seconds before the Aventador’s headlights came in contact with my bumper.

 

My heartbeat paced crazily on my chest, kicking my body engines alive. As I drove faster, only one thought entered my mind, That was ing close.

 


 

 

                “I guess we underestimated that guy. He is now on the lead, and much to my disdain, GD seemed to have lost his intensity. And I lost the ing bet!” Seungri’s voice made its way into Henry’s ear as the former sent looks of dagger at the man snickering at his outburst, but Henry was happily looking at the GPS. Seconds ago he held his breath after seeing that Eunyoung’s car stopped on the track; it was after about 4 minutes before the car started once more, seconds before it came in contact with GD’s car.

                “What are you simpering at? Drop that smirk from your face Henry, I will punch them out if you won’t.” Seungri was frantic because he lost the bet, and knowing him, he might’ve bid a lot for GD. Eunyoung almost winning this will drain his money bank.

                 Henry looked at the man, and as if mocking him, smiled even more, but when he opened his mouth to speak, all traces of being cheery went out the window. “Go on then, you are all talk but you never act.” Henry’s seriousness is not something Seungri sees often, nor of the two others inside the room with them. The once curse-filled room became deathly still; all eyes are fixed on the two people sending raging looks to one another. Seungri’s hands balled into fists, his veins creeping up on his toned shoulder. He heaved deeply and closed his eyes for a few seconds before looking away and dropping heavily on the seat behind him.

                 “I don’t know what has gotten into you. But I can assure you that Yong will hear of this. Do yourself up, man.” Seungri said, still looking at Henry. The thought of Ji Yong knowing what his best friend Henry did, suddenly amused him.

Henry is not usually like this, but if he is, he is not someone to mess up.

                 “At least Yong is alive. He wouldn’t like knowing that all you think about is that you lost the stupid bet. You never even cared about him, and that is what sets you apart from me, man.”

                  And with that, Henry walked out of the room, the GPS still held firmly in his hands.

 


 

It almost seemed to take me forever before I finally made it back to the starting line, with it standing as the finish lane too, but the trip back is not as smooth as I thought it will be. Still, I managed to push through and made it out alive in one piece.

 

After stalling for minutes after I encountered Viktoria, I also had a hard time concentrating on the road. I felt nauseous, the spiked drink earlier at the bar and the whacked head I received was the main culprits. My blurry vision is not helping either, because whether I admit it or not, I am tipsy.

 

The scene on the starting lane surprised me; I honestly thought that people will crowd my car not to congratulate me, but to kill me with their bare hands since all of them are GD’s minions, but I was wrong.

 

Cheers rang out in all directions prior to my arrival, it was only until I went out of the car that I even heard how loud and crazy the crowd got after I won. They are all offering their high fives and fists. I smiled despite the nausea still lingering in my head. I scanned the place, hoping to see Victoria and Henry, but it was Krystal that I saw standing directly in front of me. Without any second thought, I made my way to her and even before she got the chance to say something, I cut her off.

 

I kissed her cheek.

 

Only her pale cheek, but I lingered there for a bit and closed my eyes. I guiltily made her warmth my sought-after comfort after being on the deadly road. My lips brushed hers as I slowly distanced myself from her, feeling a bit queasy inside.

 


 

 

                  Even with a great deal of distance between them, Victoria saw Eunyoung. She was excited to go and wrap her shaky arms on the tomboy, really thankful that she made it out alive. Before she can even take a step forward to her, she was stunned after seeing the latter made her way to a girl. Tiny shreds of glass seemed to have blocked Victoria’s throat; a fresh and lucid tear escaped her eye. Then it hit her; she’s the girl she was telling me about, the one that’s supposed to cover up her real gender.

                       She heavily dragged her feet away from Eunyoung, just before rain clouds started rolling in, covering the once star filled skies.

 

---

 

                  Henry stood immobile as he watched Eunyoung and Krystal across from him. It took him all his control not to go in there and break the two apart. He sighed. Just earlier on, he thought he won. That they won. But after seeing what Eunyoung did, he suddenly felt like a weight was taken down on his shoulders; hard and menacing.

                  Confusingly hurtful and mocking.

                  He turned around with a question clinging in his mind.

                  Why does a new comer suddenly have that effect on me?

 


 

 

The crowd surprisingly dismissed easily, their pack getting in on their own cars probably to head back to the bar and celebrate their own wins on the bet. Vick Hunts was a huge ground of mess; empty bottles are littered everywhere. I broke my kiss and headed back to the car, leaving the surprised Krystal in a complete trance. As I saunter the car away from VickHunts Road, my eyes squinted at some girls that resembled Victoria. The rain is now pouring heavily, and I can’t see Victoria anywhere. I suddenly began panicking; what if GD’s men did something to her?

 

My thought was broken after my headlights caught a lone figure walking, drenched in the rain. Even if she had her back at me, I know full well that it’s Victoria. Even in the distance and in darkness, she’s really an eye-catcher because of her curvaceous body.

 

“Vic! Victoria!” I honked at her, but it was as if she can’t hear me. It’s odd; she didn’t even wait for me on VickHunts, and now she’s totally ignoring me. Something is not right.

 

I pulled off to the side of the road and seeing as I have no other option but to confront her there in the pouring rain, I stepped out of the car, the coldness suddenly enveloping me. I cursed under my breath, and mentally blamed the who stole my blazer. It was never a good decision to wear a plain wife beater to this event. The moment I was out of the car, I began thinking for possible revenge on Vic for getting me out of the comfort of the car.

 

“Can’t you hear me? I have been calling and even honking the car for you.” I said loudly as I battled with the roaring rain. She continued walking slowly with her head dipped low. I was still behind her, it was impossible that she can’t hear me now, but she continued to walk away as if she can’t fathom or hear the things I say. I paced forward and quickly blocked her. Upon closer inspection, I can see her hair is wild, strands of it escaped from her tight bun. I reluctantly removed the hair blocking her face, but as I did it, a lightning streaked across the sky, and what I saw on her face made me step back.

 

Her eyes are furious and raging mad.

 

On a different occasion I might just shrug it off, but realizing that something is definitely amiss, I suddenly felt guilty. I don’t even know what I am guilty of anymore. I forced her to look at me, and that’s when she did.

 

“Why her?!”

 

“What?” I don’t know who she’s talking about and why she suddenly seemed so mad right now. I reached out a hand to her shoulder but she slapped it away, her sobs suddenly grew louder. Her hands reached to , as if she’s trying to muffle each sob escaping it. She was quite a sight; her hands are balled into fits, shoved roughly on her pursed lips. She was shaking; but I have no way of knowing where it came from; from the cold rain attacking her fragile body, or the raging madness she felt inside.

 

“Vic, I don’t know why you’re acting like this. And god you’re scaring me! Let’s get you in the ca-

 

“She is Jessica’s sister!” It suddenly struck me. It was too obvious yet I still overlooked the fact, or maybe I just didn’t care.

 

Krystal.

 

Now I know why she’s acting this way, why hurt is mirrored on her eyes. Her eyes accused me of betrayal, and somehow it felt like I did betrayed her. I let the rain pour heavily on my body. Consuming me; consuming the thoughts haunting me and the guilt tugging in a portion of my heart.

 

She felt betrayed.

 

And in a way, I really think I betrayed her.

 


Finally an update. You don't know how long I've wanted to update. This is one thing off my to-do list.

Talk to me sometimes in the future will you? I've missed you all, I swear.

It gets sad online and IRL.

(Okay I'll fade now.

...or not)

BTW, I wrote a new story; SHINee's Key is the protagonist.

It'll mean a lot if you'd check it out. :3

 

Pray everybody, will you?

Be blessed.

 

♦ Achailee