Chapter Two

Fast and the Furious

 


First border contains Amber's POV, the next is no one's POV. No need for further elaborations, I know you'd figure how it works.


 

“Listen up everyone, we have a new student. Hey! Shut up and listen y’all!” vines crept up the neck of the teacher as he struggled to silence the class. Amber stood waiting outside until she is to be called in.

 

“Is it a girl?”

 

“Is she hot?”

 

“A guy?”

 

“Save all your energy, you’d need that for the next class. Well that aside, come inside Eunyoung Liu.” With a wave of his hand, he welcomed her inside the classroom. Whispering voices and head to toe inspection greeted her as she entered the room.

 

“He’s hot... With his ray ban on, he looks more mysterious.” A girl on her left side murmured, looking at her. Amber stood lazily on the center and waved at the students. “Eunyoung please occupy that chair over there.” The teacher gestured to the chair at the back of the room. “If there are no more questions, I’m going.” The teacher said and left the room.

 

She made her way to her chair when suddenly a guy placed his leg on her way, thinking she can’t see him with her sun glasses on, he tried to make her lose her balance, but Amber was fast enough, she then stomped at his leg, which made him yelp in pain. Cursing, he stood up and faced her.

 

“What was that for?!” he shouted. All of their classmates faced the brewing fight.

 

“Try another tactic next time, that won’t work on me.” she said continuing her way, not even bothering to face him.

 

“Ooh I’m scared.” The guy taunt her, laughing while high five-ing a brown haired guy beside him. That’s when she faced him. Removing her sunglasses, she walked up to him and pushed him to the ground.

 

“You better be.” She said.

 

Before he got the chance to charge up to her, he was restrained by a guy from the back.

 

“Stop this GD, you’re drawing people’s attention, you won’t want the higher ups to know about this.” He said, looking at their classmates, as if expecting that someone might suddenly tell the higher ups about what happened.

 

Murmurs from their classmates filled the room as the guy tried to restrain the angered GD. With a poisonous glare at Amber, he said. “I’d get back at you, you’ll see...”

 

“Shut up.” She said, not giving him her attention.

 

 

Once seated, she lazily inspected the scene in front of her. Students wore their uniforms, while she doesn’t wear one yet.  A black blazer with a white long sleeves underneath for the boys. Khaki pleated pants with expensive looking black shoes completes their get up. Black plaid miniskirts with the same white roll up white sleeves for the girls, with matching knee high socks and black ballet flats. Similar black blazers hug their slim figures. She would never be caught dead wearing skirt that short. Amber looked a little out of place. Her Western way of clothing still clings to her amidst being in Korea. A varsity jacket and slim pants covered her manly built body. With a hand rested under her chin, she thinks how she can attend school without needing to wear the Girl’s uniform.

 

Perhaps a trip to the Principal’s office will help... I will reason out with him.

 

Amber’s eyes swept over to where the guy who restrained GD was seated. He was facing her direction while talking to a girl, but when he caught her looking, he offered an awkward smile at her, and went back to talking.

 

He’s nice. She thought, without bothering to look at him intently.

 

Showing little interest on the teacher in front of her, she got up and left the room. All eyes are on her when she stood, but surprisingly, she was not hindered by anyone. “I’d be back.” Amber said to their teacher. “But there’s an exam before the end of the class-

 

“I’d be back.” She repeated, a bit firmer this time.

 

Gaping, the teacher stuttered but continued on with his lecture.

 

Well, that was easy. I would need to do that more often.

 

Fishing her phone from her pocket, she flicked a cigarette stick on .

 

“You’re not supposed to do that here, especially when you’re this near to the room.” Amber turned around and saw a girl booming a smile at her. Long wavy light brown hair cascades down her pretty face. Her sleeves are rolled up to her elbows. She looks young, but nonetheless, she’s tall, just maybe two inches before Amber’s height.

 

She took one step closer to Amber but Amber put her hand between them to stop her.

 

“I am from your class.” The girl said when she realized that Amber can’t remember who she is.

 

“What are you doing here?” Amber asked, still keeping a distance.

 

“I am in charge of the class, in short, I’m the class president.” She said, hands crossed in front of her chest. “And I came here to check on the badass who had the nerve to go out of class to smoke a joint.”

 

Amber, on the other hand, leaned on the wall and crossed her hands in front of her chest, mimicking the girl. With a raised brow, she said coolly. “And what would you do to me, Ms. President?...”

 

Trying to level with Amber’s cool, the girl said. “I can tell the higher ups about your misbehaviour, Eunyoung.

 

Amber then walked towards her and took a drag on her cigarette, not scared about the girl’s threats. She closed the distance between them, and when she’s inches away from her, she blew the smoke at her stunned face.

 

“Do you think I’m scared of the higher ups? Well let me tell you what, miss...” Amber paused to look at the girl’s name badge.  “..Jung, Krystal Jung. I am not afraid of anybody. Not anyone from this school, especially, I’m not scared of you.”

 

She snaps a finger on the stunned Krystal and swiftly walks away, hurling the cigarette in front of her.

 

Krystal looks at Amber’s fleeing figure and cursed under her breath. He’s crazy, how could he act like that?! The nerve of that guy! She then shouted, “Hey Mister Liu, if you want to keep cutting classes, find another school that may suit someone like you, don’t go around dragging our school’s name into shame!”  Krystal is furious, but Amber continued pacing farther away from her.

 

Mister Liu? So they think I’m a guy? Huh. This is exciting.

 

Hold up y’all, ‘Mister’ Liu is in the house.

 

Amber stomped away from her classroom and walked towards the direction of the gym. Inside, she saw students trying their hardest to do cartwheels on one corner of the gym; a signboard with HEAD CHEERLEADER AUDITION TODAY is placed above the wall. Sweat soaked jerseys litter the floor on another corner of the wide gym, its owners taking a water break, watching the hopeful cheerleaders.

 

A chinky eyed girl watches with a hawk’s eye as one girl to another tries to do a perfect cartwheel. She giggles each time they fail. The girl caught Amber’s attention. She then stopped walking and walked inside the gym, crossing her feet, she leans in the wall and watched as the girl positioned herself in front of the blue non slip mat. The girl took a deep breath and does a suave cartwheel. She does another and ended with a split of her legs. The resting basketball players clapped crazily and cheered for her. Other contenders whispered amongst themselves and threw hateful glances at the girl who seemed unaware of it.

 

Another girl wearing the school’s official cheerleading uniform claps her hand while walking near the girl. “Nice work Ms. Song! I’m really impressed. With that, I guess you now know who stole the spot as this School Year’s Head Cheerleader.” She said, looking at the other girls. “Thank you all for auditioning, try again next year alright? And as for you Victoria... Congratulations!” She extended a hand at Victoria and smiled at her. But Victoria swatted her hand away and walked out the gym door.

 

“I wonder why...” Amber thought to herself. She stole a glance at the clock positioned above the gym door and decided to go back to the classroom.

 

The teacher is writing something as she entered the room.

 

All eyes are on her as she made her way to her chair, Krystal darted a poisonous glare at her. On another row, the once furious GD sleeps soundly.

 

“Review time is up, close your books now and get ready for the quiz.” The teacher then opened his book and recited questions for the class to answer. As he does this, he keeps looking at Amber maliciously, thinking she can’t answer the questions. “Are you doing fine there, Eunyoung? I’m sorry we couldn’t wait for you so we discussed the topics included in this quiz without you.” He wore a sorry expression, but Amber knew the real message behind it. He was getting back at Amber after she embarrassed his ego in front of the whole class. His stare says it all. Hope you screw. In turn, Amber smiled at him and said, “I’m fine. I’ll ace this quiz. You’ll see.”

 

As her classmates staggered to answer the questions, Amber coolly answered each.

 

She crossed her arms and waited for others to finish. “Time’s up. Pass your papers to the person’s in front of you.” Whispered complains about the quiz filled the room. “That is all for today, you can now take your lunch.” Students file out of the room group by group, Amber slung her bag on her shoulder, but she waited until all is gone before she exited the classroom.

 

“Let’s go to the cafeteria together.” A guy waiting for her outside said. “What makes you think I’d go to the cafeteria with you?” Amber said, walking ahead of the guy. “Well, I thought after I protected you from my friend you’d treat me differently. I’m Henry by the way.” He extended a hand at her. “I’m not interested in making friends in this school.” She said curtly, but he’s not that easy to give up. “Uh, okay. You’ll still be my friend, though you don’t treat me the same way.”

 

“Where’s your friend GD anyway? Go pester him or that Jung girl, just stay the hell out of my face.” Amber said.

 

The guy stopped on his tracks, and when Amber thought he gave up wanting to be her 'friend', he said.

 

“Lau.”

 

She looked back at him, Huh?

 

“I’m Henry Lau.” Henry then smiled, but didn’t take a step towards her; instead he walked towards the opposite direction. Mystified, Amber continued to make her way towards the cafeteria, alone.

 

 

The aroma of food wafted in the air, even outside the cafeteria. Amber couldn't help but walk faster than she has to, if there's one thing that she can't put to line, it's food, but surprisingly, she doesn't gain much weight unlike other girls her age. Unlike them, she doesn't stress over petty things like dieting or boyfriends. She's just... pure different.

 

Students lining or just hanging out in the cafeteria suddenly stopped what they are doing to look at Amber, but as always, Amber didn't care.

 

After settling down in a table situated in the middle of the cafeteria, she ate quietly. But the silence was broken after a girl slumped at the chair facing her. The girl extended a hand at Amber and said, "I'm Victoria. I know you knew me as the 'girl who swatted the cheerleader's hand', don't deny it, I saw you checking me out at the try outs earlier..."

 

Victoria waited for Amber's reaction, but she didn't even look up from her plate. Irritated, Victoria snapped a finger at her. Only then did Amber realized that someone was at the same table as she was in. Removing an earphone from her ear, she said. "Oh, I'm sorry. Are you talking to me?" Amber swept her hair away from her face and raised a brow when she realized who the girl infront of her is. "Victoria." Contented at her reaction, Victoria leaned on her chair and smiled.

 

"Hi."

 

Dangerously charming. Her hair in a high ponytail, and unlike other girls, she looked out of place in this sleek school. More like a Westerner on an Asian soil. More like Amber.

 

An uneasy feeling started to form on Amber stomach.

 

This girl smells like danger.

 

Trouble.

 

But I like her.

 


 

“I heard you came from New York.”

 

Victoria walks like a child, bobbing up and down while talking to me. I was having a hard time keeping up with her pace. After lunch, we decided to head out earlier than we are expected to. That explains why we are now walking along a dirt road that leads to someplace she told me about.

 

Receiving no reply from me, she stopped abruptly and faced me. “You haven’t been talking to me. I was droning on and on about my life but you just kept on bobbing your head.” She said, silently accusing me.

 

“I am not just in the mood for conversing. Just keep talking, I don’t mind.” I said, just to keep her attention away from me and onto talking. The dirt road in which we’re travelling on suddenly splits into two roads. Victoria then looked at me and asked what road I wish to take.

 

“Don’t ask me, you led me to this place, you should know.”

 

Looking at her undecided expression, I suddenly regretted my decision of going with her. She looks like a killer luring me into her trap, waiting for the right timing to kill me. As much as I want to anger my parents, I don’t want to end up dead. Beat-up maybe, but not dead.

 

As if reading my mind and absorbing my confused expression, she said. “I won’t kill you. And besides, what would I get in turn?” She suddenly looked sane, but the glint on her eyes betrayed her.

 

“..just maybe, lure you into my world...”

 

Seductively, she bit her lips and blew a kiss at me. She continued to walk with me trailing behind her. After what seemed like hours of idly walking, I began to question her again about her knowledge of the place. “Do you really know where we’re going? We seemed lost in these woods.” Dead leaves crackle as our feet crushed into them while we walked.

 

“Sssh, shut up Eunyoung, I am trying to remember where that place is exactly. I haven’t been here quite recently okay? So pardon me.” She made a face at me and I returned the gesture with a roll of my eyes. “You know, you look cute when you’re irritated.” Her wink just made my blood boil, but I was getting kind of used to her constant teasing.

 

Another five minutes of walking, we reached our destination. At last. I wasn’t expecting much from this girl, but what lies in front of me really impressed me. Slumped like a hungry dog in the middle of a swamp-like place is a wooden house, impressively made. Seeing me nod my head in approval, Victoria said.

 

“I made this.”

 

I looked at her, not believing what she said. “No way. There’s no way that you could’ve constructed this.” I said, but her glare made me back off.

 

“That hurts you know, hearing that remark from someone who doesn’t even know me. But I’ll let that slide. Just so you know, I was assisted by a friend. But the designing was mine.” More like you assisted that friend.

 

“What now? I can’t believe I skipped class just to see your ‘work of art’.” I was trying to anger her; it was so easy being with her that I found myself slightly amused at the idea of being her friend.

 

“Huh, don’t tell me you would rather be in that school? I didn’t bring you here for nothing, idiot. I want to know more about you, and I realized this is the best place to get informations out from you.”

 

“What are you? An interrogator?”

 

“I may be. So be careful of what you tell me.” Her wink received a roll of my eyes as she walked towards the back of the house. Once there, I looked around the mini garden and took in the surroundings. It was like a child’s hiding place. A place where one can enjoy without being disturbed. Victoria patted a dirt covered swing beside the one she is sitting in and invited me to sit. I hesitated, but seeing me stiffened, she said. “God I wouldn’t do anything to you Eunyoung! Now sit.” I let my guard down, seeing as I don’t have anything to lose, I chatted with her as she bombard me with questions. God she’s talkative. I half expected her to pause for a while after each answer but she just kept on going on and on with talking.

 

But I like her attitude, she reminds me of her...

 

My mind drifted off to memories of her. Memories of our childhood spent carefree about anything. Her face kept darting back and forth on my mind as I listen nonchalantly at Victoria. I suddenly found myself looking at the girl seated beside me. Victoria reminds me so much of her. Victoria’s hair color depicts hers. Even her eagerness and enthusiasm is the same level as Victoria’s...

 

“...but of course I-

 

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Victoria looked at my reminiscing face. I didn’t dare face Victoria just yet; I kept picturing her face on my mind.

 

“Uh I’m sorry. Where were you?”

 

“Never mind, you aren’t interested anyway.” She smiled but dipped her head low and stopped rocking the swing. Suddenly I felt guilty. Not wanting to touch her or anything, I just looked at her. She looked so fragile.

 

Like her.

 

“No, go on. I was just thinking about something.”

 

“Do I bore you?” I was caught off guard with her question.

 

“Why are you suddenly so dramatic? You don’t bore me. It’s just that...” I stopped mid sentence. It was too early for me to tell Victoria about my life or share with her my insights, given that I only had only known her today. But as she looked at me eagerly, I can’t help but sigh and continued.

 

“It’s just that you remind me of someone that I used to be with. And I can’t help but think about her.” She tipped her head sideways and smiled.

 

“Do you miss her?”

 

“I do.”

 

“You can treat me the way you treat her so you wouldn’t get lonely...” She said while patting my back.

 

I then looked at her, somewhat relieved that she isn’t mad at me. Suddenly, her next action surprised me.

 

She kissed me.

 

She was getting the wrong idea! My head was shouting for her to stop, but my senses don’t function well with her soft lips on mine. Her hand caresses the back of my neck. With my eyes open, I can see her expression. Her kiss is not lustful, but not lovingly either. As I struggled to keep my upright position, I did what I think is right at that moment.

 

I gave in.

• • •

 

As dark clouds started to loom above our heads signalling the end of the day, I walked beside Victoria towards the direction of her house. The cool Korean weather was making it hard for me to keep my cool; I just walked slowly while hugging my jacket closer to my body. This time of the year in New York, I was probably hanging out on the beach with the guys, but alas, here I am.

 

I stole a glance at the now silent Victoria. She walked normally now, not tired or anything, but she was quiet. The Swing Kiss meant nothing. We both knew that we had just been caught up in the situation, but there’s nothing more. After the kiss, which she broke, she smiled at me and held out a hand for me to shake.

 

“Victoria Song.”

 

I placed my hand at her extended hand and shook it.

 

“Eunyoung Liu.” She smiled seductively again which now received a lip bite from me. After that, we both chuckled and high fived.

 

Right then and there, I knew I found a friend.

 

 

It was almost 7 PM when we reached the paved road which she said leads to her house. The busy Korean Street greeted us as we walked. Glimmering lights soon filled my vision as I tried to memorize the way to her house. After minutes of silence, she seemed to have found her voice and started blabbering again. She is now talking about her love of dancing when suddenly it reminded me of the audition.

 

“I was thinking about your rudeness towards the cheerleader earlier. She’s your senior so I was kinda surprised when you slapped her hand away.” Our conversation about her flexibility led me to asking her about the cheerleading audition earlier. Victoria then stopped and faced me.

 

“Can I tell you a secret?” I nodded my head, having no idea of what this secret is.

 

We walked towards an outdoor cafe table and sat. She signalled a waiter to our table and reached for the menu. Several minutes passed but she’s still undecided about what to order. Impatient, I said to her.

 

“Just order two cappuccinos. God, you’re taking a lifetime.” She smiled sheepishly at me and sent the waiter away to get our cappuccinos. “I was looking for my favourite drink but thanks to you, all I’ll have is a cappuccino.” I returned the smile and said, “I love cappuccinos, who wouldn’t? And besides, you dragged me here to talk, not to drink. Are you trying to stray me away from the real issue? Spill the beans Vic, now tell me about the cheerleader.”

 

“We’ll get there, but for now, can’t a girl enjoy her drink?” I heaved deeply and looked at her, but she wasn’t looking at me. As always, she was preoccupied with anything that catches her attention. But suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I saw her sigh. Our drink arrived at the table and she hurriedly drinks the contents of her cappuccino. I grimaced after seeing foam of cappuccino moustache on her. “Ugh, you’re like a kid.” I offered her my handkerchief and she took it. “I’ll give this back-

 

“There’s no way I’m gonna take that again. That’s yours now.”

 

We sat silently for a few minutes, with me sipping my cappuccino and her toying with a strand of her brown hair. As I drink in silence, I thought about if Victoria knew my real identity. It doesn’t matter if she knew that I’m a girl, it would even be an advantage to me because at least she wouldn’t expect something to ‘bloom’ between us. As much as I enjoy her company, she’s not just my type.

 

“She’s Jessica Jung.”

 

Lost in thought, I suddenly looked at her. “Who is?”

 

“The cheerleader. She’s Jessica.”

 

“So what about her?”

 

“She was my brother’s ex girlfriend. She dumped my brother for another guy.”

 

“That’s your brother’s life. You should not interfere, if that Jessica found someone new, just tell your brother to accept it. There are many fishes in the se-

 

“He’s dead.”

 

I was stunned. I didn’t know it was this serious.

 

“It was suicide. He died because he can’t bear losing her. But the didn’t even come to pay her respects on his burial. But it was a good thing that she didn’t because if she did, I would’ve skinned her alive.”

 

I let her talk, I was preoccupied with thoughts of my own. I was half listening to her and half reminiscing about it.

 

He died. It was suicide.

 

“I didn’t know Vic, I-

 

“It’s okay.” Victoria smiled but her eyes betrayed her real feelings. “I just can’t get over the fact that he died because of that .” I nodded numbly, not knowing what to say. “Hyung died. But I will get back at that girl.” For the first time, I saw her darker side. With her face half hidden behind the shadows of the night, she looks like a tiger ready for kill.

 

I knew it was kind of odd, but at that moment, I remembered my mission on this place.

 

I am here to cause a row between the people and to anger my parents. No more fooling around, the badass is coming.

 

And I’m bringing someone with me.