Chapter One

Fast and the Furious

 


This chapter contains Amber's pure point of view which may change or be limited in the following chapters.


 

This isn’t life.

 

My parents are silently killing me. They actually thought sending me to Korea will help fix my attitude problems and will make me less hard headed.

 

It won’t.

 

I know this for certain because the moment I stepped out of the airport, I knew then and there that I will never be a part of this country nor will I grow fond of it. I instinctively put an arm on the other, blocking the chilly weather that enveloped me after I slid out of the sliding doors of the beat up Korean Airport. Irritated, I heavily carried my suitcases to the limousine waiting for me across. S.het I cursed under my breath. I am getting frostbitten by the second.

 

“Can I help you with that ma’am?” A man in his early thirties asked, a pin with the name Boom stood out from his chest.

 

I roughly shoved him my bag and entered the car. I glanced at him, trying to see if he reacted differently from my misconduct. He seemed hurt, and his look made me see that I had been an for acting that way, but looking at him, I suddenly saw my father’s disappointed face. I don’t know why or how it happened, but it felt... Good.

 

Hard headed eh? Then I’ll give you the hard headed Amber Liu.

 

“If you need anything ma’am please let me know. Your parents want....

 

I settled my body onto the seat and pumped up the volume of the newest rock song on my playlist to drown his words. My lips curled into a wicked smile.

 

This might not be that bad.

 


 

“Ma’am here we are. Welcome to your new house.” Boom, the limousine driver said.

 

I looked around at the property. A big space was allocated just for me. Not bad. My parents really thought that providing me with a big house will make things better. A three story house is wedged in between a pool and a big garage. Painted with classic white with black to contrast it, you wouldn’t think that it’s 55 years old.

 

 “Your parents renovated it, said it will be useful when the time comes.” Boom added. When the time comes. So they were really had been planning this for a long time now. “They really wanted me out of the house huh? They thought that this will amuse me?” I raised my brow at the surprised Boom. “And here are your credit and ATM cards.” He said, handing me a black leather card holder. “Uhm, well... If there’s nothing else, I should be going now Miss Liu.” He said, emphasizing Miss Liu. Like other people, I know it’s hard for him to call me miss, since I don’t look like one. But still, I was then fighting the urge to punch his face.

 

I was surprised that they didn’t leave me with a personal bodyguard; I can imagine how awful that would be. But as if reading my mind, he added, looking at the house.  “By the way Miss Liu, I am also your caretaker. I am assigned to drop by once in a while to check on you.” His look says that he wanted to make sure nothing happens to the house, rather thanto me, while I stay here.

 

 “If you’re scared that I’ll burn the house to crisp, don’t worry. I won’t do such thing. Now go.” I dismissed him with a wave of my hand, my back on him. “If you want to, I’ll carry your luggages for you-

 

“I’ll carry those myself.” I said, a bit firmer this time.

 

The neighborhood seemed quiet, a perfect contradiction to what I am used to. The house overlooks a great lake, with glistening water drifting in its own accord. I can’t help but smirk at the thought of my parents living here before, it just doesn’t fit them. Peaceful would be the last term that can describe my carefree parents. Sure they are carefree, but only when it comes to us, that is why I was surprised when they sent me here.

 

That is why they sent me here; they needed to get away from the source of their migraines.

 

Normal people will surely be amused at the grand scene in front of me, but of course, I am not one of those. I actually find it irritatingly peaceful. Oh I hate it here. This time in LA, she's probably looking for me now.

 

I shoved the thought of her from my mind, it just hurts to think that I can no longer live with her...

 

My sunshine.

 


 

The chilly weather started to bite me as I stood idle outside the house, so I might as well check it out.

 

As expected from my sleek parents, the house only has two dominant colours, black and white. The only thing we share in common is our desire to keep things simple, but because I hate them, that’s about to change... I trudged up to my room, located in the farthest corner facing the staircase. One by one, I open the doors to see if there are ‘surprises’ waiting, namely a maid or a Personal tyguard. But to my relief, beds and lone cabinets greet my face on the four other bedrooms I opened.

 

I checked my phone for messages from her, but to my disappointment, there was nothing. Only a few ‘don’t do this, don’t do that’ reminders from my parents.

 

All things on their appropriate places, I decided to lay down the bed, but midday birds chirping and pecking outside my window got me standing. The sun setting, a colour of lazy orange painting the sky, and the glinting lake got me walking towards the direction of the window. It was magical....

 

Or not. Forcefully, I closed the window blinds and stomped off to my bed.

 

With my grudges, I have no time to appreciate what my parents ‘did for me’.

 

Tomorrow, I’d be attending school.

 

That’s where the real fun starts.