Chapter Eleven

Fast and the Furious

Even before I got to school, I knew I wouldn’t like what I’d find there as I do almost every day, but I certainly hadn’t expected to meet the blank stares of the people littering around the vast hallway as I marched my way to homeroom. Sure I never wanted girls flailing themselves at me, but I never imagined how these fake people wanted to rid themselves of what happened two nights ago; it’s as if nothing happened. I accidentally held a girl’s stare, and no matter how intoxicated I was Friday night, I realized who she was.

 

That girl who stole my blazer.

 

She cowered under my intent stare and skidded away with a friend, but I’m guessing it’s not because of giddy, it’s out of fear.

 

I stopped by my locker, one hand clutching the bag draped over my shoulder, playing coy at the obvious chitchats of the people who finally gathered behind, as if waiting for something. The image of the hopeless girl in a Taiwanese drama who found a red card dangling inside her locker is too hard to resist, and I stupidly imagined finding myself in the same situation. I don’t know what to make of that, or of the dragon if ever that happens.

 

The gash above my right eye was plainly hidden by the gauze Victoria was kind enough to place for me, and my closeness with her only deepened because of that. It seemed years since I last found myself being taken care of, and no matter how I tried to hide it, I know I missed the feeling. The swollen spots I got from the bumpy race are visible; obvious marks on my shoulders, a few protruding at my face.

 

I opened my locker, totally curious and somehow excited at what I’d find. Disappointment washed over my face as I took in the familiar white envelope slipped inside my one of my textbooks, totally disappointed that my fantasy wasn’t met by the dragon’s standards. But it was chic, that I would give him. I tore the heavily sealed envelope, smirking as I ponder about how pathetic the dragon may now be. Hand written, or should I say, messily hand-scribbled inside are the words:

The game is ON. Be ready.

 

The same initials are embossed at the back of the card, but something stood out, something I missed the first time I took hold of the same card. A faint image of a dragon, its tongue twisted at the bold initials of the letter sender. I guess I underestimated his standards then, and if I may say, it impressed me a tad bit.

 

But—

Kwon Jiyong, for the record; I was born ready.

 

In those two days of not seeing him, I had never given much thought at how I’d act around Henry after the race; after all, it’s just him. Thoughts about how his eyes lingered on the contours of my face the night of the race made my insides…tremble. Yes, tremble. For the lack of a better word, I’d settle with that. But no, not the kind of tremble that you’d wish to stop,

 

I actually find it amusing.

 

Amber Liu, developing an interest to one of the monster’s ally? This is interesting. I even found myself slyly smirk as I trudged toward homeroom, everyone’s eyes following me as per usual. From their viewpoints, I may only look overly confident upon winning, and I’m in no place to correct them.

 

But no, I wasn’t at all happy with the result; it cost me my conscience. But should I still care? I had long forgotten I still have one, anyway. It was as if I’ve lost because of what Victoria asked me to do.

 

I am interested in Henry; on the reasons behind his spite of Victoria. But no, I would never let myself get played by these emotions.

 

Especially not when my play thing stands directly in front of me now.

 

I traced the gauze covering my wound and walked ahead, not meeting the hopeful stares of some ladies I passed by. I have my gaze fixed to one particular girl, and I know that I should start with the façade now. I am not certain as to how deeply she was affected by my peck on her cheek and the slight touch of our lips two nights ago, but if she did not intend to show me now, she was failing.

 

I’ve watched enough movies to know that worry-creased face would mean surrender to a girl. And a sure win for the guy. Don’t bother about the fact that I’m not a real one.

 

I can’t let Victoria down.

 

I’m still far but I spotted that familiar hopeful eyes; the same pair that assaulted me after the race. The same eyes I sought for comfort after being in the track. However, it wasn’t in the state I would like to see it at the moment. Her glossy tints were full of worry. Seeing the uneasiness etched over her face made me feel…successful. It was so easy I wanted to slap her then and there, just to finish the deal already, but not yet, the game has yet started.

 

I waved at her, and as if acknowledging me for the first time, she turned and walked away.

 

That’s right Krystal, be careful and do not let me catch you.

Or better yet, let me.

 


 

 

              “Okay that was awkward.” Luna said as she played with the straw of her juice, popping candy grains into and offering her two friends some. Sulli waved her hand to refuse, but Krystal snatched the small container from Luna’s hand and directly drowned it of its contents.

              The two just sat dumbfounded at what their friend did, but Krystal seemed oblivious of their expressions directed toward her. “That’s the awkwardest.”

              Sulli turned her attention to Luna and said, “Sunyoung, I don’t think a word like that even exists...”

              “Awkwarder then, Ms. Know-it-All.” The blonde girl countered, rolling her eyes to show her irritation.

              “Neither do that one...” Sulli sighed and continued flipping through the pages of a book laid in front of her, knowing better than to shove her corrections down Luna’s throat.

              The three friends got up from the cafeteria and started walking to the direction of their houses.

              “Let’s get this straight once and for all; he is obviously hitting on you, Krys.” Luna made it sound like it was really the case, but Krystal thought that maybe it was easy for someone who dated no less than five men before she even got her period to say it. But for the perfect little miss president lady that she is, she can’t seem to comfortably sit on the idea that someone dared hit on her. She wasn’t bitter, she just doesn’t seem to have the confidence her older sister exude around boys. Thoughts of awkward conversations and dull moments flood her mind, and it didn’t help manage her feelings.

              But it doesn’t mean she never tried; she dated two guys in the past, actually. There was Minho, the sweet and trustworthy cousin of Sulli. They went on dates for two months, probably the happiest two months of Krystal’s life as an official insider of the love circle. But two months flew by so slow that in the end, she felt herself getting tired of seeing him around her all the time. She felt sick by all his sweet antics, and this made her feel guilty. In the end she just didn’t broke his heart, but also Sulli’s friendship. For about a year, they never talked. After all, he was Sulli’s cousin. But that was all in the past now, and her friend had forgiven her since then after discovering that Minho cheated on Krystal and was only feigning disappointment over their break-up to cast all the blame on Krystal and acquire Sulli’s sympathy.

             And then there was Jongin, the guy Luna set her up with. He was the epitome of mystery; and this secretly aroused her interest. But all changed after he tried to get her into his room to do it.

            “Why me anyway?! If my memory serves me right, I didn’t provoke him into liking and pestering me!” Krystal, now exasperated, shouted. It earned her the surprised stares of the people around and some scrutinizing gaze from elders walking.

            “It’s simple, you’re straight A student and class president, he’s class A jerk. Somewhere along the road your paths will cross before you both arrive at your happy ever after—together.”

            “Your imagination’s running wild, Sunyoung.”

            “Don’t you watch movies? It’s too predictable. The jerk gets the jerk-hater. But with a hefty dose of cursing, brow raising, aggression, and then understanding in the middle. Then, shoot straight to the big L.O.V.E.”

            “I don’t watch movies like that, chic flicks disappointed me enough to keep tab on what’s happening.”

            “But don’t you read books? It happens between book characters, too.” Sulli said almost hesitatingly, afraid of being directed with Krystal’s glare for siding with Luna. The former avoided Krystal’s stare and went back to reading. Reading while walking; only Sulli does that.

             Of course Krystal reads, she even writes fanfictions. Its popularity got to her. But this one’s different; it’s real life. It wasn’t meant to happen outside the confines of fictions—books or movies alike.

             She sighed, because she doesn’t know if she should be happy the badass likes her. Her of all people.

 


 

 

“It’s so sweet of your ex boyfriend to send a perfumed card.” I faked appreciation and watched as Victoria scooped the card from the ground, and in a swift movement brought it to her nose. I saw disappointment clothed her expression, as if expecting GD’s scent.

 

“That’s a scented card; of course it would smell nice. By any chance, are you thinking it’s his scent?”

 

“N-no!”

 

Oh, so little miss sturdy is stuttering?

 

“Cut it Eun, I was… just curious. Yes, that’s it. Curious.” She gave a tiny shrug and slumped back down in the cement, trying to make it clear that she wasn’t a bit interested.

 

“Curious or jealous? Don’t worry Vic; what we feel for each other is purely professional. And yes babe, it includes dealing with each other.” She raised her shoulders as if to say, ‘whatever’ before finally hugging her cardigan to her body. It was a cold day, and as per usual we were at the rooftop, overlooking the vast and calm interactions of people below. It felt good to be talking easily with her again, as if nothing happened. I can almost make myself believe that what happened two nights ago is merely a product of my ed up imagination, but as Victoria flicked my wounded temple, I was brought out of my musing.

 

“Stop teasing me Eun, you’d get it bad.”

 

“He’s not in school.”

 

“Henry?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“I’m surprised you actually care.”

 

“It’s inevitable, he’s still a friend. A decent one at that.”

 

“Yeah, decent huh?” She scoffed, only to heighten my curiousity about what’s between her and Henry.

 

I scowled at her and retaliated by pinching her cheeks as hard as I can. She squirmed but I didn’t let go of her face, and I chuckled while dodging her hands as it reached out to get hold of my cheeks.

 

We ended the little fight and I watched as she smiled; her cheeks still raw from my pinching. But behind her smile, something lurks; then my promise from two nights ago passed by my mind as if to remind me that she’s changed. Somehow, she wasn’t the same girl I met a month before any of it happened.

 

The same girl I felt a certain indescribable connection with.

 

- - -

 

With my head comfortably resting on the pillow, I started thinking about Victoria, Krystal, and surprisingly, Henry. Mostly of my thoughts are about the first and the last. I sighed before reminiscing about Victoria’s home.

 

There are exactly two things I found strange as I ushered Victoria’s viper onto the Song property the day after the race; one, there are only two cars on their garage, the yellow Lamborghini I once drove and which Victoria claimed beforehand to be hers, and the viper I am currently seated in. There are no signs of her parents’ car anywhere, or the parents themselves for that matter. Second, her Victorian inspired house felt…cold. It was cold, magnanimously large, and dull, like no life resides in it. It mockingly exhibits the same aura as that of my own house; the hell in which I currently sojourn.

 

“Where are they?” I queried as we ascended the stairs leading up to her room. Our footfalls shattered the deafening silence of the bare house; the sun’s rays outside penetrating through the ceiling to floor windows on the living room.

 

“Who?” She walked past me and slowly pushed the door to a cream coloured room. Pushed at the farthest right corner is a bed. Surprisingly, it was made. The room itself was clean. I didn’t know why I was surprised, though. I guess I expected worse than what I was seeing that moment. But then again, she was still a girl.

 

A tidy one I might add.

 

I took in the sudden overwhelming scent that welcomed me upon entering the room; vanilla. It smelt strongly like Victoria.

 

“Aren’t your parents’ home?” I knew the answer right before I queried, but still chose to ask her.

 

“Parents…” With a click of the door closed, she directed me to her bed and we sat there, the serenity of the dawn of a lazy afternoon enveloped our tired bodies. I waited for her to talk, but at the sight of my gash, she face palmed herself and abruptly stood to get something. I closed my still exhausted eyes and listened to the shuffling movements she made, probably in search of a first-aid kit.

 

I didn’t know what more to feel; just last night, all I can perceive of her is a hungry woman for revenge, but her fragile but nonetheless sturdy and caring figure sent confusing thoughts on me now.

 

I felt the bed sink as her body weight pressed on it.

 

“I haven’t seen my step mother since…since oppa went away.”

 

Went away. Went farther from her; departed from life itself,

 

Died.

 

“I am an illegitimate child of my dad, but nonetheless was cared for by his wife.” She dabbed a small amount of medicine on the cotton ball on her hand and very carefully applied it on my gash. I listened as she evasively accounted the things that she once experienced.

 

Though she told me she was cared for, she never stated that she was loved. I’ve had enough experiences of being ‘cared for’ to know how it faintly resembled being ‘loved.’

 

She looked away and decided to fix her gaze on something behind me. I never looked at whatever it is; clearly knowing that she’s too lost thinking about him and the moments they had shared. I don’t want to intrude the silent moment she was clearly spending in hopes of bringing what they had, back.

 

Of bringing her brother back.

 

I know how she feels; if I have the chance, I’d go back to where I once belonged. I’d go back to the person who cared; to the only person who cared and loved.

 

I don’t know if this is what people call coincidence, but I clearly cannot believe how Victoria’s life perfectly mirrors my own. I wonder at what surprises fate had in store for the both of us. We both live alone on a magnanimous estate, we both hate life and its ups and downs, and although she doesn’t say it, I know that like me, she felt neglected by the people who should’ve been here for her.

 

What sets her apart from me though was the fact that she’s lonely. Pathetic and lonely. She’s strong yes, but she clearly needs someone. I, on one hand, don’t see myself as lonely, nor do I see myself in need of another breathing person to stay by my side.

 

Real thing is, I don’t know what I feel anymore. I just felt…numb. Numb and tired. Exhausted from all that has happened here and there.

 

My eyes drooped as sleep came, but still I am desperate to make myself believe that indeed,

I am not lonely.

I’m… sure.

 


I died guys sorry for the long wait. ...or did all of you forget about me already? /sobs I actually wrote this chapter months ago, probably January. I actually focused on writing fiction, (not fanfic) so I kind of withdrew from the fanfiction world. And I have missed you all; forgive me for my negligence. :(

I want to thank the new subscriber I had during the hiatus, ilikeitthatway

AND MY HENBER BLOOD IS PUMPING. THANKS TO 1-4-3 THAT I HAVE YET TO WATCH, thanks to the slow internet connection -_-

 

Hope we all could talk soon && stay awesome folks.

♦ Achailee