Chapter 31

Three Broken Hearts

 

A month has passed since Kyuhyun’s back in the house… Even though Kyuhyun was successfully completed his therapy and was able to walk again with both feet without the help of the crutches, things were sure not back to normal yet… Kyuhyun was still moody as usual… Nana doesn’t know which side of Kyuhyun she’s going to get each day… However, she could definitely feel that ever since she spent the night in his room, he’s been really distant to her… He woke up earlier than she is to practice, he asked the physiotherapist to come every day to work out with him, he even got closer to Donghae for the last couple of weeks… Nana was baffled by the fact that Kyuhyun seems to be so cold towards her… He even had some decent conversation with Donghae’s mom… something which he would never do… In the past, he would not even look at her more than a minute let alone talk to her more than 2-3 sentences if not related to Nana… He had meals with the family… also something that he never did… Before, he would only had meals with them whenever Nana’s around, but would ask for a separate meal because he would not touch anything that Donghae’s mom cook…

Nana was happy with the fact that Kyuhyun was a lot nicer to Donghae’s mom, so does her omma, Donghae and her Aboji… However, the fact that Kyuhyun is somewhat distant and cold only to her made her sad and hurt… He didn’t show it to other people… he answered her whenever she asked him questions in front of others but chose to ignore her whenever there’s only the two of them… She was hurt by his attitude towards her… but she couldn’t tell anyone in the house because they are very happy with Kyuhyun’s progress… It seems that whenever she tried to be one step closer to him, he would run three steps away from her… 

They were eating together in a nice restaurant to celebrate Donghae’s mom birthday… Again, something that Kyuhyun would never do in the past…

Nana was seated in between Kyuhyun and Donghae, in front of their parents…

“Omma, who is your favorite child?” Donghae asked childishly to his mom

“Aigooo… You’re twenty six, yet you acted like a five year old… Don’t you feel embarrassed to your dongshengs?” his mom replied

“I think I should be the maknae… right baby?” Donghae asked Nana who seated beside him

All eyes were focused on Nana, however, the girl was too focus on her own mind that she didn’t realize that all eyes were at her… She was turning her forks continuously without eating the spaghetti that she ordered earlier…

Donghae nudged her,  “Yah! Cho Nana” he called her, interrupting her daydream

“Oh?” she looked around the table confusedly as everyone was looking at her

“Are you sick?” Donghae asked her and automatically put one of his hands on her forehead

She shook her head lightly and smiled bitterly, “I’m okay… “ she said shortly

Kyuhyun frown a bit when he noticed how concerned Donghae was… or he just doesn’t like it when Donghae’s hand traveled up to her forehead…

“Are you sure you’re okay?” her Appa asked her

She just nodded and smiled at him. For some reasons, her Appa has become so distant to her ever since he’s back from Japan… He no longer kiss her every day before he goes to the office or whenever he comes home, he no longer look for her, never ask about her like he usually did in the past… doesn’t talk to her if not necessary… Their relationship is becoming awkward, as her relationship with Kyuhyun… she is now feel reluctant and intimidated whenever he speaks to her…

They carried their conversation again, however, both Donghae and Kyuhyun noticed how she looked at her hand and squishing both of her hands together… something that she always do whenever she felt nervous or troubled… Donghae doesn’t know what is happening with her… She was really happy when she heard that Kyuhyun is coming back to them… however, these past weeks, she’s been having a hard time… she always looked down and always giving her ‘fake’ smile that she gave to him in the hospital…

On the other hand, Kyuhyun knows what is happening to her… why she would always looked down and lack of spirit… It’s simple, he caused that… he made her that way… he wants to say sorry to her… he wants their relationship to be back to what it used to be… But he can’t… whenever he’s closed to her… he felt the urge to embrace her in his arms… every time she speaks to him, he felt like engulfing those small plum lips… It kills him to act cold to her… however, it also suffocate him to lusting over her… The fact that he kissed her that night… he couldn’t forget it, he crossed the line…

“Na-yah, what do you think about going back to school?” her Aboji suddenly asked

Nana lifted her gaze from her plate, “Going back to school?” she asked him

“Aboji…” Donghae wanted to interfere, however, Mr. Cho signaled him to keep quite

“You have been out of school for a while now… but you feel healthy now, right?” he asked her

Nana only nodded

“Appa knows that you might still feels traumatic because of the incidents that happened last time… but maybe you can transfer school?” he asked her again

Donghae couldn’t hold it any longer, “Aboji, I’m sorry… however, I don’t think Na-yah is ready yet” he said

Kyuhyun observed the girl beside him, he could tell that she was afraid, hesitant… unconsciously; she was squishing the table cloth tightly…   

“I… I think Appa is right… I think it’s time for me to go back to school… I’m healthy now… so there’s no reason why I should stay at home and doing nothing…” she said and smiled

“Na-yah… are you sure?” Donghae asked her

She smiled to Donghae too, “I’m sure oppa… Do you think I’m a kid? I’m almost eighteen… I will become a legal adult pretty soon!” she said, trying to convince him 

For some reason, Kyuhyun knows that smile… it felt familiar to him… he knows that she was trying to convince herself while convincing Donghae…

“Good! If you’re ready then you can start soon… The high school that I chose is Jung Yunho’s high school… you still remember him, right?” her Appa said

“Yunho oppa?” she was surprised

Her appa only nodded, “I think he will be able to take care of you…” he said

“Ne Appa” she said while looking down at her hands again

Kyuhyun hated the sight in front of him… her being sad and scared is not something that settles well in his memory… Jung Yunho? Who’s that? The name didn’t ring a bell in his mind… but he sounded like a snob… yeah, I can tell through his name that he’s a total snob… I don’t think we’ll get along well…

Kyuhyun grabbed one of her hand under the table and gave it a light squish without anyone noticed… Nana was startled when she felt the familiar hand wrapped her hand and squish it a little and let it go fast… without having had to be said, she knows what Kyuhyun had said… She looked at her hand and smiled without looking at Kyuhyun… What he said was, “Don’t be scared… You’re Cho Nana… You’ve survived a heart transplant… High school is only a small matter for you… I know you will do just fine… Go and knock them dead!”

Kyuhyun glanced to his side, he knows the message was sent when her fake smile turned into a genuine smile… Without looking at him, she knows her smile meant, “Thank you oppa” 

*****************

Another week has passed and Kyuhyun was making great progress with his legs… Before, he was able to walk without crutches, but now, he was able to run for a short period of time… he’s learning to do some sport and relearn how to drive again…  He is helping out Donghae in the company most of the time, even though not full time… he is trying to learn everything from the bottom…  Donghae is now both the temporary President and vise president of UPI… he is really busy and barely have time for other things… Tonight, is the rare occasion where the two brothers finish early and headed to a bar to release the tension from working and Donghae planned to catch up with his dongsheng… Even though they were working together a lot, however, mostly they only talked about work…

“Cheers!” they both said and drank the whole cup of Soju

“I missed the time we’re doing this” Donghae said

“Did we do this often in the past, hyung? Were we this close?” Kyuhyun asked

“Well… sometimes… we also argued a lot” he said

“Argue about what?” he asked

“A lot of stuff” Donghae answered, ‘mostly about Na-yah’, he answered in his mind

“Really? I feel sorry…” he said and pouted

“Don’t be! At least now you’re half of a brat you used to be” Donghae said and patted his dongsheng’s back

Kyuhyun shook his head, “No hyung, I feel sorry for myself” he said before adding, “I’m sure that we argued because you’re a stubborn ” he smirked and drank his soju

“Yah!” Donghae smacked his dongsheng’s head lightly, “I see that amnesia didn’t change your character” he sighed

Kyuhyun smirked again, “I’m just joking” he said

Donghae pouted, “I know you’re not!” he said, but then he sighed and smiled, “At times like this, it’s hard to imagine that you have amnesia… “ he added

Kyuhyun only smiled, “I just wish I remember everything soon… I’m tired acting like some stupid person” he said

“I hope you gained you’re memory soon too… I know a certain someone who will be really happy if that happen” Donghae said

Kyuhyun was quite for awhile, “Are you referring to Na-yah?” he asked

Donghae nodded, “She… would like that very much” he said and looked towards the window facing the road… “She adores you so much” he added and sighed

“Uhm… hyung” Kyuhyun was a bit hesitant every time he’s asking about Nana to Donghae, he doesn’t know why … But probably because Donghae knows about the incident with his ‘junior’ and his sister the other time…

“What? Just ask” Donghae reassured him

“Uhm… last week you mentioned about the incident that happened in her last school… what happened?” he asked

Donghae sighed deeply and looking back to the empty road from the window, he hates remembering that incidents… In fact, most of his horrible memories are about their maknae…

“She was bullied by the girls at her previous school”  Donghae said after a good one or two minutes

“Bullied?” Kyuhyun was shocked, he always thought that Nana is the type of girl who is very outgoing… other girls would envy her and want to be her friend.. He perceived her as the kind of girl who lived a good life and never had encountered any big problems..  

Donghae nodded, “They were very mean to her, I think it’s because one of them liked the boy who was closed to her” he said, “She would go home, afraid that we’re going to find out… so she would wear long sleeve sweaters… we almost lost her at that time… “ he sighed. “On her previous school, she was almost got by a bunch of low class boys” Donghae continued, but this time he gritted his teeth…

“R….?” Kyuhyun was shocked, he was angry

Donghae nodded, “They were mad at her and she got a relapsed as well at that time. Good thing a boy saved her” he said

Kyuhyun was kept silent, he was trying to digest all of the information that he just got from Donghae… Kyuhyun always thought that Nana was just a spoiled rich girl… someone who never feels the hardship of life… He thought so dense of her… He had no idea that she had faced many hardships and nothing was easy for her… even something as easy as staying alive…

“Is… that boy Jung Yunho?” Kyuhyun finally asked

“Oh?? How do you know??? Do you remember him?” Donghae looked surprised

Kyuhyun shook his head, “Aboji mentioned it during the dinner” he said

“Ahh… I don’t even remember he mentioned about Yunho” Donghae said

“Uhmm… who is he?” Kyuhyun asked

Donghae begin to smile when he heard the question, “Uhm… He’s the son of Aboji’s close friend” he answered shortly, however, he could already guess the question followed coming from Kyuhyun’s lips

“Is… is he close to Na-yah?” he asked

Bingo! And Donghae smirked…

“Uhm… if I’m not mistaken, I think he is Na-yah’s boyfriend” he said

“WHAT?” Kyuhyun’s eyes almost went out of its socket

“Well… I don’t think its official… but I’m pretty sure he liked her” Donghae added

“But… but “ he couldn’t continue, he was still in shock

Donghae could only grinned, “Why are you that surprise?? Don’t you think our baby dongsheng pretty enough to have a boyfriend? There’s line up of boys that wanted to be her boyfriend… to be exact, a lot of Aboji’s friend had been trying to set their son up with her…” Donghae said

“No… it’s just….” Kyuhyun sighed, he doesn’t like what he’s feeling right at that moment, but he doesn’t know why… “Does… does Na-yah likes him back?” he asked

Donghae chuckled, he shook his head lightly, “She likes another guy” he simply said

“W….who?” Kyuhyun asked in surprise

Donghae only shrugged his shoulders, “Why don’t you ask her” he said

Kyuhyun sighed, “I thought she’s so innocent… what’s with these many guys” he said

Donghae chuckled again, he patted his dongsheng’s shoulder, “She is… She is as innocent as pure as you think she is” he smirked, sorry Dongsheng! You were a brat and now you’re still acting like one… !

“Uhm… what about those girls or those guys who did all of those stuff to her?” he asked after redeeming himself

Donghae smirked at him, “I knew you would asked about that… you’re indeed Cho Kyuhyun after all… Don’t worry, we took care of them our way before sending them to prison… “

Kyuhyun nodded with satisfaction.

Donghae rose from his seat, “Come on, I’ll let you know what we did to those low class on our way home… We don’t want to stay out too late do we? There’s a certain young lady waiting for us at home…” he said and winked at him

Kyuhyun smiled and grabbed his jacket from the chair and followed his hyung outside the bar…

*****************

When they got home, true to Donghae’s predictions, Nana was waiting for them in the living room… Donghae looked at the time, it was twelve o’clock at night… the living room was quite and dark already, they got home later than usual… However, Nana was still waiting for them, although today, she fell asleep again…

Ever since Kyuhyun back at the company, she had been waiting for both of them returning home… she would make them hot chocolate and chat with them…. But most of the time, she would fall asleep on the living room’s sofa… and Donghae would carry her back to her room upstairs…  Kyuhyun would always acted like he doesn’t care even though he felt warm and he likes that she always waited for him…

“Uhm… Donghae hyung” Kyuhyun called Donghae hesitantly when Donghae was crutching down to carry their sister… “Can… can I’m the one who carry her upstairs tonight?” he asked

“Uhm sure… “ Donghae acted like he doesn’t care, “I’m tired anyways” he added… even though he was smiling… He headed upstairs… “Night Kyuhyunie” he said and disappeared to his room…

Kyuhyun waited until he could hear the sound of Donghae’s door being closed before moving closer to the sleeping figure on the sofa

He was observing the girl who was sleeping so soundly… he cared her pale cheeks and pulled up strains of hairs that were covering her face… Her cheeks were cold… How long have you been staying here waiting? Even though her skin was cold, the contact between her skin and his own sent out electric static to his heart and he felt warm… he missed their skin to skin contact and their close proximity… at this distance, he could smell the strawberry milk that he missed so much…

He sighed while still caressing those cheeks, “Did you have a hard time?” he asked her, “I’m sorry I don’t remember all of that stuff” he added

She moved a bit in her sleep. Kyuhyun’s thumb travelled down to her lips and he smiled… “But oppa will be here to protect you now, I promise” he whispered before tilting her chin up and pressed his lips to hers… Who is the one you like? He thought in his mind while kissing her softly

Unknowingly to him, a pair of eyes were looking at him shockingly…

*****************

 

“What happened? I thought you said you wanted to grab some snack in the kitchen?” Mrs. Lee were asking her husband when she saw him back in the room and closed their door quietly without any snack in his hand

“Nothing yobo… just go back to sleep… I’m no longer feel hungry” he said and walked to his side of the bed without saying anything else.

*****************

As always, Thank you for the encouragements! ^^ This is probably shorter than usual, but I've been reallyyyy busy ^^ HAPPY WEEKEND! (Who works on weekends? you're not alone! High Five! kekeke)

Be Kind to one another :)