Nine: Hope

The Blood in Your Veins
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


The house is huge.

Although victorian in style, there are TVs almost in every room, and there is even a game room large enough to hold your entire house back in the human territory. You walk around with a wide, open mouth, looking for something to do in this night while everyone else is sleeping.

Although you aren't the snooping type, you tell yourself that you deserve a tour of the house you've been stuck in for the past couple of weeks. So, the moment all of the vampires headed for their own rooms - whether to sleep or have some privacy - you decided to take a tour. The second floor is where the rooms are at, so you leave that not to disturb anyone and traipse around the first floor, which you realize is filled with all types of rooms, even ones you didn't think you'd find with all of the European gadgets thrown around; like a computer room.

You practically camp in the game room. You try the old retro games first, from Wreck it Ralph to Super Mario. Then you settle down in front of the PS5 and choose the most badass cover of all the CDs. Once plugged in, you play something called Eldon Ring and it takes you at lest thirty five minutes to figure out the controllers. When you get bored, you turn around the room in search of a game that doesn't require two players and more, but considering you're a noob in games, you miss the point of most of them. You find yourself wandering outside again.

When you were living at home, you didn't have time to do anything. From playing around to reading to spending time with friends. You didn't even have friends. School was an annoyance you went through very quickly; you stayed away from cliques; you hung around the other ostracised nerds in lunch time, and you abstained from being in clubs after school. All you ever did was train and make sure you had no human connection beside your family, because everyone around you tended to get swiped into the supernatural scene, and being oblivious is a blessing you wished you had, so there was no way you'd pull anyone into that mess.

You search for a liberary; you know with every beating vein in your guts that they have one. Gentle souls like Chanyeol and Kyungsoo probably liked reading, and Junmyeon looked too sure of himself not to be educated, so he probably liked reading, too. You hadn't read anything in years, and excitement flares within you as you search, door after door, for the liberary. True to yourself, you find it in the third floor. A door so misguided and boring you almost don't notice, but once you push it by your shoulder, you're left in awe with what you discover behind.

You close the door behind you as you flow around; walking through shelves of books, looking down rows and rows of all kinds of books. There are even small plaques on the shelves stating the genre. From fiction to non fiction to novels and biographies. You duck behind a shelf for horror novels to search for fantasy ones, and your smile disappears from your face when you notice Junmyeon.

He's sitting in a large sitting area with couches and settees, holding a book of his own under the soft glow of a nightlight. It resembles a makeshift office he quickly threw around. He's wearing his usual black ensamble of black shirt and black sweatpants. He seems to be too concentrated on his book to notice you, so you quickly hide behind the shelves, heartbeats in your throat.

You think to yourself. Vampires have brighter and sharper senses than normal humans. Did he notice you hiding there? If he did, then that would be too embarrassing; here you are hiding behind a shelf and he already saw you coming in. But what if he didn't? You poke your head past the shelf to peek at him again, and he's still in the same position he was in seconds ago.

You hide again, your heartbeats are palpitating so hard inside of your chest you feel like you're about to throw your heart out. You hold a palm up your chest, trying to breathe slowly. Breathe in, breathe out. You tell yourself. You look ahead at the shelf in front, then at the one behind, wondering how your claustrophobia hadn't hit you yet. You peek at Junmyeon one more time, only noticing for the first time that he had been on the same page for ages. Suddenly, you find yourself emerging out of the shelves and walking towards him.

You find yourself taking the couch right in front of his desk where he's been leaning his elbows and holding his book. You cross your legs, clearing your throat, and you throw your eyes around everywhere except for him, feeling a certain growing emotion inside of you that made every effort to do anything seem so difficult. God, you hate how much he affects you.

"So, what are you doing here?" You ask him, your lips nervously. You're still not looking at him.

"Reading a book." He mutters. He, too, isn't looking at you. But the book in his hands work well to excuse his eyes from wandering away like yours do.

"It's the middle of the night," you murmur quietly, "don't you wanna sleep a little?"

His eyes flicker over sentenses and the glow reflecting in them by the shade of the nightlight looks almost white. "We need sleep every three or four days, don't worry."

"And when was the last time you have slept?" You ask, challenge in your tone. You look at a dirty book from afar before finally allowing your eyes to settle on him. His eyes are the softest gold and you want to ask about their colored eyes, and how much they shift around you, from red to gold to blue and brown. He's still looking down at his book, his eyes flickering from one sentence to another, and you look down at his lips, pursed and yet so plump. You want to kiss him.

You clear your throat.

Junmyeon doesn't answer your question, but you notice the corner of his lips - beau

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter