Achievement unlocked

Tugging at your Heartstrings

Hanni threw her book away and grabbed Jerry, the pink rabbit plushie Danielle gave her and named, hugging it against her chest with a long sigh. Enough trying to fight back the memories from the previous night. She played her lo-fi playlist on Spotify and chuckled as she remembered the text she had received at almost ten in the night.

[thekimminji]
open the door.

Hanni was in the silence of her room, too tired to go out with Danielle and Lily and the others on that Friday night. It had been a tiring week, juggling between practicing, studying, trying to work on her stuff. And Kim freaking Minji telling her to open the door at ten in the night on her precious Friday?

She stood up. She opened the door.

“Pham Hanni!” Minji gave her the most adorable smile ever. Like, literally every smile she ever smiled. Whatever. “Wanna go for a night walk? It’s not raining, and the moon is beautiful.”

“You did say you would come here to annoy me.”

“Wow.” Minji scoffed, stuffing her hands in her pockets and taking a step back. “I guess you don’t like night walks, after all.”

Hanni reached forward, grabbing her arm and stopping her in place. “I do.”

“Am I really that annoying?” Minji pouted. No one pouted like her. Maybe because no one had such plump lips as her.

Aur naur…

“You’re a big baby, that’s what you are. Let’s go, let me go grab my jacket.”

It did the trick. Minji smiled again, and Hanni was happy.

And that was how they went on another night walk, stopping at the same playground as the other time, sitting on the swings and looking up at the night sky.

“How’s Hyein?” Hanni had asked.

“She’s doing good. She has some new friends from her class and she likes the new school and all. She even joined the photography club! So cool, she always loved to take pictures.”

“See, I told you she would be doing great. No one’s messing around with her?”

“No. She assured me of that. But, you know…” Minji paused, and Hanni gulped. More deep, sentimental Minji? “Deep down, I’m afraid she’s telling me that just so I don’t worry a lot. I’m not there to make sure.”

“I think you can tell. You know her, she’s your sister. Can’t you tell when she’s lying or when you know something’s there? I mean, you did that to me. I assume you read people well.”

Minji leaned forward on her swing and irked an eyebrow at her. “I did? When?”

Oh .

“Uh. W-Well, you asked me the other day if everything was fine, that it seemed there was something on my mind.”

“And it was.”

Hanni sighed. “It was. B-But it doesn’t matter now. As I was saying, I’m sure Hyein is telling the truth. If she was hiding something you would know.”

“I guess you’re right. But you’re not right about your own stuff. It does matter, Hanni. What is it?”

Facing down, Hanni played with the zipper of her jacket. “It’s just… when we were practicing the song, there were a few things I wanted to point out. To suggest and try out. But… I didn’t.”

“Why?”

“Because I don’t wanna come off as bossy. I don’t wanna sound like I know more than anyone, especially Dani. It’s her song after all. She likes it the way we played it, so why would I try to change it? I would probably just ruin everything.”

When there wasn’t an answer, Hanni faced Minji, to find her with the hardest of the frowns.

“Why… Wow, wait a second, Hanni. Where did you get that idea?”

Hanni shrugged. “Just… you know.”

“I don’t. I really don’t. But I hate it. Is this because I threw that stupid tantrum when you were teaching me the guitar? I’m so, so sorry, I didn’t want to make you feel like that.”

“No! No, it’s not about that. It’s…” Hanni sighed, dragged and loud. “From way before.”

“Do you wanna talk about it?”

“Do you wanna hear it?”

“Of course. Just like I told you. You’re always there when I need to talk. When I don’t even know I need to talk. You can talk to me, Hanni.”

And how could Hanni say no to those eyes?

“I come from a classical music background. Both my parents are musicians as well, my dad is a pianist and my mom a violinist. It was normal for me to have an interest since early on, and mess around with instruments and all. They both play in orchestras, so that’s my background as well. But I also love other genres, and I like to play a lot because everything is fun to play and know about. But somehow, people would consider that as if… I was trying too hard? As if I only knew how to play lots of things and knew a lot about music in general because I wanted to be better than them or something.”

“Jealous much?” Minji gritted between her teeth. “For s sake. If they want to be as good as you, they should work harder.”

“They were good, better than me actually, at their respective instruments. Because since I play several, I could never give a hundred percent of my focus and time to practice just one thing and get really, really great at it. In their perspectives, I was just mediocre at whatever I played, because oh my god how could I be as good as them when I wasn’t working as hard as them?”

“ logic I guess.”

Hanni shrugged. “I was tired honestly. Tired of the classical background, being too tied to it, and the culture around it. It was super competitive, but not in a healthy way. And I honestly didn’t want to keep playing in orchestras. I still love classical music, but I want to try and create new stuff and play around with different genres. So I gave up and came here to study more about composition and production and all. So, yeah. I guess it comes from there. People saying behind my back, misinterpreting my actions as a know-it-all when I just wanted to help, and as a showoff just because I could play more than one thing. But then, how would I ever be good if I cannot focus on one thing?” Hanni balled her fists on her lap. “I’m constantly jumping from one thing to another, and I want to do everything at once and at the same time. But then it gets so overwhelming I barely do anything. I just study and study, but getting my hands on a goddamn song? Nah. I’m glad Dani invited me to work on her song. At least I’m doing something.”

“Wow.” Minji scoffed. “You know what? all of those who said those things about you. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to do several things! You are good. You are intelligent, you know what you talk about, you’re not a smartass who thinks is better than others just because. I am so sure everything you possibly had to suggest was good and helpful, and yet, I need to watch you not do it because of what other stupid ing people made you feel when you tried to help them. them for real, man.”

“Kim Minji…” Hanni mumbled, eyes fixed on her. Jokes aside, Hanni didn’t remember seeing anyone getting so… defensive of her. Protective. Angry because someone hurt her. Not even Yunjin. “I’m sorry, I didn’t wanna make you angry.”

“You didn’t, they did!” Minji exhaled through her nose and jumped from her swing, her feet stomping the sand beneath. She turned and took a few large steps towards Hanni, her frame towering over her. She squatted in front of her and laid her hands on her knees. “You listen to me, Pham Hanni. Next time we get together to practice the song, you will make those suggestions. And you will because I wanna hear it. Because it might be Dani’s song, but she invited us to play with her. We all participated in the song. Do you think if she didn’t want help, she would have invited us? The whole point was for her to have help composing it, with people that play said instruments. Of course she would appreciate your insights. She knows how good of a musician you are, and that’s why she invited you, because you are great. And I told you, I wanna learn from you. I wanna be a better drummer and a better musician overall as well. And that is discussing ideas together, hear what you have to say, what Dani or Haerin have to say, and contribute if I can.”

Hanni didn’t know since when Minji’s warm hands had engulfed hers. She was too fixated on her face, on the gleam of her eyes.

“When I was in my previous band, everyone threw ideas,” Minji went on. “It didn’t matter how stupid or bad they sounded, we tried it anyway, and if we liked it, great. If not, we would laugh and move on. Sure, maybe not all of your ideas would be amazing, but I know some would. And I know they would make the song even better. So, promise me. Next time you won’t be afraid. No one is gonna judge you. Not me, not Dani, not Haerin.”

The wind blew. It was getting colder, especially at night. Cicadas sang, and Hanni was at a loss for words. Her eyes suddenly stung, and she didn’t do anything about the tear that rolled down. Minji reached for it, wiping it away with her thumb before it could fall, her face still as serious as before.

“Promise me,” Minji muttered.

Hanni nodded. “I promise.”

Minji’s hard face softened, a smile shining through.

“Guess I’m not the only crybaby around,” Minji giggled, getting up on her feet and pulling Hanni’s head to her chest, a hand scratching the back of her neck. “Good to know.”

The air ripped from Hanni’s lungs, her muscles tensed up. Minji’s heart beat against her ear. And weirdly enough, it was as fast as Hanni’s own. She closed her eyes and circled her arms around Minji’s torso, enjoying the embrace.

The other time, it had been the exact opposite. And Hanni didn’t know what she liked the most.

They walked back shortly after, in a comfortable silence for a while. Until Hanni noticed something dangling from Minji’s pocket. “What’s that?”

“Hm?” Minji looked down, reaching for it. “Oh, it’s my lucky bear. Isn’t he cute?”

And just how in the world could the girl who dressed in all black, bomber jacket, baggy pants, have a green Care Bear as a key chain? “Yes, super cute.”

Minji squeezed the tiny bear between her hands, smiling at it, even letting a squeal escape before pocketing it again. “Hyein got it for me. A birthday gift she got with her own pocket money, when she was only ten.”

“That’s so adorable. It must mean a lot to you.”

“It does. I know it’s just a silly little Care Bear, but… I think it’s honestly the item I treasure the most. I always have it with me. It’s supposed to bring me good luck.”

“Does it?”

Minji met her eyes. “I guess I can say so.”

Somehow, it felt like those words carried some meaning behind.

“You seem to like bears a lot,” Hanni said.

“Do I?”

“You have a teddy bear sticker in your tumbler.”

“Oh. Yeah, I do. I mean, they’re cute, aren’t they? Not just teddy bears. Bears in general.”

It was the way Minji tried not to smile too wide, and how she seemed embarrassed to admit she liked them.

“They are. Honestly, if so cute, why so dangerous?”

“Right!” Minji’s voice went up an octave. “Have you seen their ears? You cannot convince me they’re killers. I just want to hug them.”

“You’re kinda like a bear, then.”

Neither said a word for a few seconds. Hanni’s cheeks burned.

“Uh.” Minji chuckled. “I’m a killer and people want to hug me? Or, I can’t be a killer because I’m too cute?”

“N-No!” Hanni frowned at her, hitting her arm. “You get what I mean!”

“I don’t. What do you mean?”

Hanni didn’t answer. She stepped inside the dorm building a step ahead to hide her sudden red cheeks.

“Pham Hanni!” Minji rushed after all. “I’m waiting for the answer.”

Hanni took off in a run after turning the corner to her room. Minji ran after her, giggle fits probably too loud for that time echoing in the walls.

“You just want to hear it!” Hanni slowed down and stood by her door.

“What if I do?” Minji wasn’t even breaking a sweat, while Hanni panted.

Hanni rolled her eyes. “Yes, you have a killer vibe and people want to hug you.”

“You’re people.”

“What if I am?”

Minji smirked and Hanni looked up at her. She’s so… so, so gorgeous. And so, so annoying.

But then she took a step forward and circled her arms around Hanni’s shoulders. Closing her eyes, Hanni snuggled on her neck and s her arms around her waist, under Minji’s jacket.

“Sorry, I made the night walk… kinda depressing,” Hanni muttered.

“What, you didn’t. I’m glad you talked. For real.” A hand caressed Hanni’s hair. “And I hope I somehow helped. Just like you always help me.”

“You did. Thank you, Minji.”

They hugged for some more time before bidding goodnight (Hanni didn’t want to let go, though. It was warm and smelled nice there). And indeed, now that Hanni made the connection, Minji did give bear hugs.

Great. Now bears were officially associated with Minji. New achievement unlocked.

Now, it was barely six in the afternoon of the next day, and Hanni was still thinking about those moments, unable to stop herself from smiling.

The bell rang and sent Hanni jumping on her bed with the scare, bringing her back from the depths of her mind. “The hell?”

Did Danielle forget her key card? That had never happened. Well, there was a first time for everything.

Like having Minji knocking on her door on a Saturday afternoon.

---

A/N - Not even jokinggggggggg today I was talking about bears with some friends and I LEGIT said the 'if so cute, why so dangerous', then I was re reading the chapter to post and laughed sdiujgbnaspidugbsuigbsdiupgsa ahahah BUT INDEED EXPLAIN IF BEARS SO DANGEROUS THEN WHY SO CUTEEEEEE

And yeah I mean Minji with her little green lucky bear might be one of the cutest things ever so I had to include it here lmao

This chapter had yet another lowkey sad backstory BUT prepare for a huge dose of fluff for the next chapter!!! hehehe thank you for reading and commenting!!!

Twitter - @itzloonatic
CuriousCat - curiouscat.me/itzloonatic