I missed this

Tugging at your Heartstrings

Hanni fidgeted with her nails, eyes focusing on a void. People moved around her, busy fixing makeup, checking their clothes and hair, tuning guitars and basses. Live music cheered the crowd outside, but Hanni couldn’t even pay attention.

“Pham Pham?”

She snapped around, smiling through her nerves. “You look so cool.”

Minji’s eyebrows raised. “You think so?”

Hanni looked her head to toe. Vans, ripped jeans, baggy t-shirt half tucked, high ponytail. “The coolest.”

“And you look the prettiest.” Minji stood close to her, hand finding its way to hold Hanni’s. “Nervous?”

“So ing much.” Hanni sighed. “I haven’t performed in a while. And it’s the first time I’m performing this type of song, and singing. I’ve never sung live, Minji. And there’s so many people…”

“Hey, hey.” Minji cupped her cheeks, puffing them up and looking her dead in the eye. “You can do it. You will do great. But even if you mess up a bit, it is fine. Remember, the most important is that we have fun. If you let anxiety take over, you won’t be able to find the joy in it.”

Hanni nodded. “You’re right. Thank you, baby. You’re such a good leader.”

“Haerin taught me that. But yes, I’m trying my best.” Minji kissed her forehead, long and caring.

Hanni’s muscles relaxed. The band performing still had one more song to go, and they were next. She looked around and people were busy doing their stuff, Danielle doing Haerin’s hair a bit further down the room. No one was paying them attention.

It shouldn’t be a problem for Hanni to tip-toe and kiss Minji, right? They were official, after all. So she did so, catching Minji off guard.

“Oh my,” a voice made them snap their heads to the side, finding Chan standing nearby. “I’m so sorry, bad timing! I just wanted to wish you a nice performance.”

Hanni felt her face going red, but she held her chin high and proud. “Don’t worry. And thank you! You’re after us, right?”

“Yep. But more importantly…” he wiggled his eyebrows. “You two finally official?”

“W-Were we that obvious?”

Chan nodded. “Oh, yes. I’m super happy for you! I have been rooting for you since day one. The day of my party, when you left me hanging to go talk to Minji, oh boy, I knew.”

Hanni’s chin could reach the floor.

“Oh, man, that night.” Minji giggled. “Thank you, though.”

Hanni irked an eyebrow at her, but couldn’t help but smile along.

“I’m gonna go back to my group mates, but we’ll be watching your performance! I can’t wait. I’m finally seeing you perform!”

“I can’t wait either.” Hanni took in a deeper breath.

He gave them a thumbs up. “Break a leg! And be happy, you two.”

“Thanks, Chan.”

Chan skipped away to join Lily and the others.

“Next group, standby!” One of the crew members said, motioning for Hanni and Minji.

Danielle and Haerin joined them the next second. Minji held them and extended a hand between them. Danielle put hers on top, then Haerin and Hanni.

“We can do this,” Minji said. “Just like we always do in the practice room! Let’s have a blast!”

“Remember to have fun!” Haerin said.

Throwing their hands up, Minji pulled them into a hug as the previous band left the stage. The presenter took place and talked words that Hanni’s brain didn’t register. Her vision was blurring and her breathing was fast and shallow. Minji must have noticed, and reached for her hand, grasping it so hard it brought Hanni back.

“You can do this,” Minji said once again. “I believe in you.”

The smile she gave Hanni next was all she needed as the presenter called for their name.

“NewJeans!”

The crowd cheered, and Minji led the way onto the stage. Hanni’s legs almost failed her, but balling her fists, she followed Minji.

Bright lights and a sea of people greeted her. Her heart drummed hard in her skull and her hands trembled as stood in front of the keyboard and adjusted the mic to be in front of . She looked around then, at the grin on Danielle’s face, standing at the front and the middle, with Haerin on her other side. Peeking behind her shoulder, Hanni found Minji’s eyes on her. A last smile, a nod of her head, and Hanni faced the crowd. At least two hundred people looked at her. She had performed for bigger crowds, so why was she so nervous for?

She could do it. She had done it countless times. She knew those two songs like the back of her hand.

Then, what was she still so afraid of? Opening and no sound coming out?

Her eyes found Hyein on the third row, waving her hands like crazy, and a camera hanging around her neck. She beamed and jumped on her seat. The girl was so excited to see them, and it was her birthday after all.

There was no way Hanni would fail.

Minji hit her drumsticks in the air to set the count and Hanni focused down, fingers ready, and let herself sing the words she knew so well.

How could my day be bad when I’m with you?

Her voice wavered at the beginning, but she didn’t give up. When Danielle’s part came, Hanni looked at her. She shone brighter than the spotlights, the smile echoing in her voice. When the chorus approached and they both sang together, Danielle met her gaze, and Hanni smiled too.

When the song was over and the cheers from the crowd erupted, Hanni faced ahead. Claps, whistles, praising words. Hanni’s grin was so genuine she couldn’t contain it.

“Thank you so much!” Danielle said at the mic. “Hello everyone, we’re NewJeans! We’re so happy to finally be able to perform for you all! The song you just heard was a cover of ‘Bad’ by Wave to Earth, a song that means a lot to us.” Danielle glanced around at them. “But we’re not done! We have one more song, and I hope you can enjoy it even more, because it’s an original!” Danielle let everyone cheer more before finishing. “Please enjoy ‘My Only Enemy’!”

Danielle was such a natural. She was born to be on stage.

Minji’s count brought the focus back on Hanni. This was the moment they had practiced so hard - their original song. Maybe the first of many, maybe the only one.

Who knew.

The next three minutes went by in a blink of an eye, and Hanni felt like she dreamed them. But the cheers from the crowd were even louder than before. Hyein jumped and clapped, and more people followed to do the same.

“This has been NewJeans, thank you so much again!” Danielle said in the mic, waving as she slowly left the stage.

Hanni waved too and followed them backstage, her knees shaking like a ship on a thunderstorm.

“You guys were great!” Chan said, as he and the others were waiting to go next.

“You ing killed it!” Lily said.

Hanni nodded and mumbled some thank yous, but it felt like her voice wasn’t hers. Or that it came from the bottom of a well. Sweat rolled down her temple. Her head still pounded.

Minji leaned against a wall and slid until she sat, head down. Danielle hugged Haerin and jumped around, squealing and saying something Hanni couldn’t make out. Hanni joined Minji and squatted in front of her.

“Minji,” Hanni called, hand on her shoulder. “Baby?”

Minji raised her head and tears brimmed in her eyes, contrasting the smile on her lips.

“I missed this,” Minji said, sniffing. “I missed this feeling so much. I’m so overwhelmed.”

“In a good way?”

“Yes. Gosh, my heart.” Minji grabbed Hanni’s hand and guided it to her chest. “Feel this?”

As well as Hanni felt her own. “Mine’s the same.”

Minji pulled her into a tight hug, leaving light kisses on her cheek and neck. “You did so well. I’m so proud of you, Pham Pham.”

Hanni’s eyes welled too. “Thank you, baby. I think… I think I did well. But I don’t remember what I did. It’s like… this didn’t just happen.”

Pulling away, Minji cupped her face. “I know. But it did. And we were great. We really were.”

“Are you okay?” Danielle’s voice sounded next to her, her worried eyes on them.

“Yes.” Minji nodded. “Just… I’m so proud of us. Are you guys okay?”

“Great! Oh, I’m so happy!” Danielle helped them up. “It was so much fun, and I think everyone liked it!”

Haerin beamed as well. “We did great. Thank you, guys. I can finally perform with a band. My band. I’ve always wanted this.”

“Me too, Haerin. Me too.” Minji cleared her eyes. “Thank you, Dani, for bringing us together.”

“No, thank you!” Danielle brought them together in a hug. “Thank you **for helping me. I couldn’t possibly perform this song if it wasn’t for you.”

Hanni felt like crying again, but she held it back. That was a happy moment, after all. But the emotions were so many, so strong.

“They’re about to perform, I don’t wanna miss it!” Danielle suddenly pulled away.

They rushed to the crowd but didn’t bother to find any empty seats. They stood on the side, cheering for their friends and jamming along. Yeonjun showed up, pulling Minji for a bro hug, patting her back. His gang joined them, enjoying the performance as well. When Chan and the others stepped down the stage after another amazing performance of powerful vocals and rap, Hyein popped up from nowhere.

“You were amazing!” Hyein said, hugging Minji and lifting her in the air. “I have photos!”

“You took pictures?” Minji asked.

“Yes! Lots!”

“You gotta show us later!” Danielle said.

“Of course!” Hyein looked back. “Where- oh, here!“

Hanni observed as a tall guy approached them. Taller even than Hyein and Minji, dressed in all black. He waved and smiled. Oh, he was handsome. “Hey, girls. You were fantastic.” He faced Minji, a hand on her head, messing up her hair. “You did great. Like, amazing. The best I’ve seen.”

Minji looked elsewhere, a shy smile creeping. “Thank you. Guys, this is my older brother, Taehyung.”

Hanni had assumed. She waved hello. “Nice to meet you.”

Danielle and Haerin greeted him too, introducing themselves politely and in Korean.

“Minji’s a great drummer, isn’t she?” Taehyung said, smiling at her like a proud brother. Well, he could only be.

“She’s the best,” Hanni said, the words flying from her lips. “And a great leader.”

“Leader? You finally accepted the fact that you’re a natural leader?” He chuckled, lightly punching Minji’s bicep.

Minji shrugged. “They made me.”

“Because you just have it in you!” Danielle said. “Own it, girl!”

Minji rolled her eyes, but let out a chuckle.

They had dinner after the concert to properly celebrate Hyein’s birthday. She loved the food and especially the company, her siblings, and her new friends.

“Thank you so much for these amazing pics!” Danielle said for the third time, at least, going through them in Hyein’s camera and showing her fav to Hanni - one where they sang and faced each other, big smiles on their faces. A great shot, indeed.

Minji patted Hyein’s head. “They’re amazing. I promise we’re gonna post them on our Instas.”

Hyein beamed, her puffy cheeks red.

“You should create one for your band,” Taehyung said, finishing his beer. “People loved your music. You heard the compliments. I’m sure they want to follow your work.”

Hanni glanced around.

“We’ll see,” Minji said.

After singing Hyein happy birthday and eating the small cake, they left the restaurant. Taehyung said something, and Hyein frowned. He smiled and hugged her, waving at the others next. “It was nice meeting you! See you around. Minji, see you tomorrow.”

Minji hummed and Danielle bowed, saying goodbye. Hanni waved, confused.

“He wants us to have some fun and enjoy the rest of the night, just us.” Haerin translated.

Hanni nodded, mumbling a thanks.

“So, what should we do now?” Danielle asked.

“It’s a great night. We should take a walk,” Minji said.

“Playground?” Hanni said.

“Nice idea. Let’s go, you’re gonna like it there, Hyeinie.”

Hyein jumped with a squeal and Minji led the way. Hanni rushed to walk alongside her, while the other three chatted in Korean a step behind. Minji faced down at her feet, hands stuck inside her pockets. Hanni reached for one, but instead of taking it out, she intertwined their fingers inside Minji’s big jacket pocket.

“What’s on your mind?” Hanni asked.

Minji glanced at her, squeezing her hand. “I’m thinking about how pretty you are.”

“Kim Minji…” Hanni couldn’t not smile at that. “For real. I know you’re thinking about something.”

Minji shook her head, facing ahead. “Just… us. Our performance. How I felt.”

Hanni waited for the conclusion, but it didn’t come. Soon, they reached the playground. A few kids ran around, but the swings were free. As if waiting for them.

Hyein ran to the seesaw, and Danielle sat on the other side. Haerin giggled and snapped some pictures with Hyein’s camera.

“Hyein is so cute,” Hanni said, slowly swinging. “Feels like they’ve known each other since forever.”

“Right?” Minji observed them. Hyein stood up and asked Haerin for the camera, so Haerin could sit and Hyein take photos this time. “This week was so… weird. She appeared out of nowhere, with my brother. Our fight, the fact that we’re dating now, the concert… feels like this week was a whole month.”

It was the first time they hit the playground after starting dating. On every other occasion there, they had hugged, or held hands, along with pretty, comforting words. Tears, too.

This time wouldn’t be different.

Hanni got on her feet and stood in front of Minji, cupping her cheeks. Leaning down, she kissed Minji’s forehead, and Minji’s arms s around Hanni’s waist, pulling her into a tight hug.

“I know, it’s a lot,” Hanni whispered, scratching her nape. “You must be so overwhelmed.”

Minji nodded against her chest, squeezing Hanni in her strong arms.

“I kinda wanna cry again,” Minji said.

“Then do.”

“Hyein’s still here. I want to enjoy the rest of the time while she’s here. She’s leaving tomorrow.”

“Then, do you wanna join them?”

“Yes, but let me hug you a bit more first.”

Hanni giggled, and a comfortable silence settled in, save for Danielle and Haerin’s giggles in the back. Hanni closed her eyes, leaning her chin against Minji’s head.

Minji pulled away after a bit, looking up at Hanni. “I love you, Pham Pham.”

Would Hanni ever get used to hearing those words? Probably not. She leaned down again, this time to kiss her lips. “I love you too, baby.”

Minji grinned. “Let’s join them.”

When Hanni turned, they weren’t in the seesaw anymore, but at the spiderweb tower at the center of the playground. Danielle had climbed high and hung upside down, giggling like crazy. Haerin was near, trying to climb to the top. Hyein took pictures. Hanni and Minji joined, and Hanni felt like a kid again.

Not a worry in the world. Not a single thought about the week or the concert. Just having fun with her friends, running around, dancing to improvised melodies, laughing as if they were alone in the world. Hyein didn’t let go of her camera, taking more pictures and making small videos. Haerin sometimes stole the camera to mess around, and made sure to film Hyein too, so she had footage with them.

They played green light red light. Hanni yelled and turned, running after them. She caught Danielle, holding her around the waist. Then she went after Haerin, and she laughed so much Hanni caught her with ease too. Minji fixed Danielle’s hair after all the running, and they took a breather by the swings again, Minji and Hyein sitting together. Haerin took more pictures and a few videos.

“Are we shooting a music video or what?” Hanni asked.

Danielle faced her with widened eyes. “Don’t give me ideas.”

“The videos are very aesthetic, actually,” Haerin said, checking it herself. “It would work as a laid-back, chill music video.”

“I can do it!” Hyein shot her arm in the air. “I want to learn how to edit.”

“Are you gonna be our photographer and videographer?” Minji said, reaching to pinch her cheek.

“Can I?” Hyein’s voice was serious.

“If you study hard.”

“I will!”

It was getting late. They headed back and walked Hyein to where she was staying with her brother.

“Thank you so much again for everything.” Hyein bowed. “Best birthday ever!”

“We’re glad you enjoyed it!” Danielle took a step forward to hug her. “It was so nice meeting you, Hyein. We’ll be waiting for that video!”

“I need the song. Your song.”

Danielle blinked. “We don’t have it recorded.”

“Then do.”

“She’s serious,” Minji said. “Okay, Hyeinie. If we record the song, will you make the music video?”

Hyein’s eyebrows drew together. “Yes!”

Minji held her gaze for a few seconds before facing the others. “Yep, she’s serious. Okay, guys, next step. Record ‘My Only Enemy’.”

Danielle’s chin dropped. “Really? Like, record it… in a studio?”

“We can just record it here,” Haerin said. “It would be a nice experience.”

Hanni didn’t even know what to say. They just performed for the first time, and now they wanted to record the song?

“Let’s do it,” Minji said. “I wanna do it.”

“Captain said she wants to do it,” Haerin said.

“Yep.”

“Owning the captain title now?” Haerin irked an eyebrow at her.

“Yep.”

There was a silence. Hyein pointed behind her back. “I will go now. Thank you again! Today was fun thanks to you all. And you need to go to Korea one day!”

“Yes! Let’s all meet there someday! Maybe during our winter break?” Danielle said. “Well, summer break in Korea!”

Hyein hugged them one by one, bidding a last bye.

“I’m happy that you are with Minji,” Hyein told Hanni as they pulled away. “She really likes you.”

“I really like her, too. A lot. You can tell her I said that.” Hanni giggled. “Thank you, Hyein. For helping us.”

“I’ll walk her inside,” Minji said.

Waving one last time, Hyein and Minji went on ahead.

“Have a safe flight back tomorrow!” Danielle said. “Oh, man, Hyein’s so cute!”

Minji came back a few minutes later and they walked back to the dorms together.

“I’ll send Hyein off at the airport tomorrow morning,” Minji said. “Then let’s change roommates in the afternoon.”

“Yes. I can’t wait.”

---

A/N - That scene at the playground was basically me watching the Hurt 250 remix MV 452895293 times and write the scenes cuz I just love it so much :')) I find it like soooooo so wholesome 

There's just two chapters left, thank you all again for reading this far and I hope you enjoy the rest! 

Twitter - @itzloonatic
CuriousCat - curiouscat.me/itzloonatic