So what if I am?

Tugging at your Heartstrings

Hanni put her things in her bag, ready to leave the last class of the next day.

“By the way, before I forget!” The professor said, catching everyone’s attention. “This Sunday the 19th, there’s going to be a concert given by the music majors. Everyone is free to attend and to participate as well. You need to sign up until this Friday by the end of the day. Come talk to me if you have questions. Dismissed!”

A concert, uh? Hanni did read those were regular, which was great. To encourage the students to do music aside from all the studying, and perform to whoever wanted to watch.

“Are you gonna participate?” Chan popped next to Hanni as they walked outside the classroom.

“Probably not. I don’t have anything to perform, anyway.”

“That’s impossible. You don’t need to present an original song. You can go and play the piano for us, even a cover or something. I bet you know several piano pieces like the back of your hand.”

“You’re not wrong about that.”

“Then! Why not go and bless our ears with your impeccable skills?”

Hanni shrugged, gripping the straps of her backpack. “I’ll think about it.”

“Are you gonna attend even if you’re not performing? Say, if I told you I was gonna perform, would you go?”

“Sure. I think I would go even if you didn’t perform.”

He chuckled. “Fair. Wanna go grab a beer?”

Just as he dropped the question, Hanni’s phone chimed in her pocket. A DM from Danielle, in a group chat Hanni had never seen, with both of them, Minji, and Haerin.

[modani]
Hey guys! Wanna meet in around an hour? I’ll be in the practice room!

She had an hour to kill, then.

“I’ll head to the library to study, sorry.” Hanni finally answered.

“The correct thing to do.” Chan smiled. “See you around!”

Hanni waved a hand as he rushed ahead. She turned the next corner, answering the group chat saying she would be at the library and would meet them there.

She couldn’t properly say if he was trying to flirt with her or not. But even if he indeed was… shouldn’t Hanni feel flattered? Or even if a little giddy? That such a nice and handsome guy just invited her to go see him perform at a concert?

Walking past a vending machine, she halted. Her stomach rumbled the second she saw her favorite cream bread.

“Did you eat?”

Minji’s voice echoed in her mind. She should indeed eat before an hour long study session, so she got one. And then another one, for Minji. Just to pay back the one she had bought the other day.

Finding an empty table at the end of one of the many corridors of the library, she sat. She had barely opened her book and put on her headphones when something fell on the table. Hanni eyed it - a cream bread. She looked up at Minji and quickly took out her headphones.

“Eat before you come to study, Pham Hanni,” Minji mumbled, taking off her backpack.

Hanni blinked. She couldn’t believe it. She reached for her bag and grabbed the one she got for Minji, throwing it to the table as Minji sat in front of her.

“I did eat before, Kim Minji,” Hanni said. “And I also got you one.”

It was Minji’s turn to stare at it and Hanni in turns, lips stretching into a smile. “You’re kidding.”

Hanni matched her smile. “I’m not.”

“Thanks.” Minji put hers in her bag. “Guess we have a snack for practice later.”

“What are you doing here?”

“Study. I can’t slack, can I?”

“Stalker,” Hanni barely whispered.

“Who found me yesterday in the middle of nowhere?”

“I told you, I had no idea!”

“And you literally said in the group chat you would be here.” Minji glared at her. “I thought you would enjoy some company, but I guess I was wrong.”

Hanni stared at Minji’s absurd pout. Absurdly adorable.

No, Hanni! Stop that immediately!

But was it so wrong to find a friend that cute and pretty? She wasn’t doing anything wrong.

“You’re not wrong. I’m glad you’re here,” Hanni said.

Minji met her eyes, but rushed to take out her books. “Well, maybe you can help me.”

“Oh, then that’s why you came. For my help.”

“Wow, Pham Hanni. I see how it is. I’ll just be going, then.” Minji shook her head and stood up.

Hanni reached for her hand in time, stopping her in place. “I was joking, Kim Minji. And what’s with the Pham Hanni?”

Minji glared at her but sat down again nonetheless. Was her face redder?

“I think it sounds cute, with the family name first.” Minji shrugged. “You don’t like it?”

“I do.” It did sound cute. Especially in Minji’s voice. “You can call me that.”

“Okay. Good.” Minji cleared . “Do you prefer to study alone, though? We can just do body doubling.”

“Do you actually need help with something? I can help you.”

“Maybe? There’s just so many concepts. I knew a thing or two before, but not to this extent.”

“Alright, do you wanna start from the beginning?”

“We can start wherever you want.” Why was her voice so goddamn deep? “Let me just get my glasses first.”

Hanni blinked. “Your what?”

Minji reached for a black case from inside her bag. When she faced Hanni again, she wanted to yell. She thought Minji couldn't look any prettier. And yet again, Minji proved her wrong. Black-rimmed glasses adorned her face, and Hanni blatantly stared as Minji caught her hair in a low ponytail, a few strands of hair falling alongside her cheeks.

Hanni swallowed dry, looking away with a shaky breath. “S-Since when you need glasses?”

“Since I got bad eyesight. But I normally use lenses. Or nothing at all, since it’s not that bad.”

“So, you weren’t using anything now.”

“Correct. Now that I look all intellectual, let’s study?”

Nodding, Hanni opened her book and turned it so Minji could see. But instead, Minji stood up and walked around the table to sit next to Hanni.

“Better?” Minji asked.

Hanni nodded. Clearing , Hanni went through the concepts of melody and harmony and rhythm and whatnot. Minji nodded and hummed along, sometimes even completing Hanni’s sentences.

“Break, please.” Minji dropped her head after a while, her forehead hitting the table.

“Alright, it’s deserved. You’re doing great. And you know almost everything, I don’t know why you even need my help.”

Minji’s neck turned and she glared at her. “I only know the basics of the basics.” She straightened her back and stretched her arms up with a low grunt. “And you’re helping a lot.”

“Really?”

Minji hummed. “You explain really well. Now I know who to go to when I need help.”

“What am I, a tutor?”

“Yep. I would even dare say you’re my private tutor.”

The smirk Minji gave her next, with the irked eyebrow and side glance made Hanni’s insides twist.

“Do I even have a choice?”

It wasn’t like Hanni didn’t like the idea. She had always loved to help others. In school, in music. Or, used to enjoy it. When people wouldn’t misinterpret her intentions.

“Nop. And we need to go back to the guitar. I promise I won’t throw another tantrum.”

“Are you feeling better since yesterday?”

“Yeah. The talk helped a freaking ton. Thanks again, Hanni.”

Hanni shook her head. “No worries. Like I said, that’s what friends are for.”

Friends.

Minji smiled, but her eyes didn’t move. “True.”

Looking away, Hanni grabbed her phone, pretending to check something. Did she say something weird? It felt like it. Even to herself.

“B-By the way, did you hear about the concert next Sunday?” Hanni said before she could start overthinking.

“Yeah. Are you gonna perform?”

“No. Are you?”

“Who knows.”

“What, you are?!” Hanni beamed in less than a second.

“Are you that excited at the idea of seeing me perform?”

Hanni’s face dropped. “Forget it.”

Minji let out a loud chuckle, earning a slap from Hanni, and proceeded to control her giggles. “Your face! Oh, Hanni, so funny. Seriously now, I still don’t know if I will. I need to ask the professor a few questions. Depending on the answer, I might or might not. Would you go see me?”

Felt like a flashback.

“Of course. I would love to see you play the drums, like, for real real.”

“Haven’t you already?”

“I’ve seen you practice and improv. Not… the drummer Kim Minji on stage with a band and all.”

“I’m sure you will. Eventually.”

Hanni nodded, imagining it. She shook her head as if throwing the thought away. “If you end up not performing, are you going to see the concert anyway? I will. Chan invited me, he’s probably gonna perform as well.”

“Ah. I see. You were going to go anyway to see him.”

Hanni’s chin dropped low. “Wow, jealous much?”

“No?” Minji frowned, chin up. “As if.”

“You so are! Why, though? What if I wanted to go to see him perform?”

“Nothing wrong with that.” Minji didn’t even look at her. And her voice tone? Definitely sulky.

But wait, was Minji… actually, actually jealous?

“Kim Minji.” Hanni called, drawing her eyes to her. “Honestly, I would go even if neither you nor him performed, just so you know. But if I had to choose just one to see, I would choose to see you perform. You know that, right?”

Minji shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe you would prefer to see him. I’ve seen you around with him a few times.”

“I don’t like him, not like that.” Hanni did not like the fact that Minji assumed that. Not one bit.

Pouting, Minji crossed her arms and sulked even deeper in her chair. “Would you really choose me?”

“Unbelievable.” Hanni shook her head. “I just can’t believe how big of a baby you are. You cry on my chest, you act like a jealous-“

Minji held Hanni’s chin and shut her with a finger pressed against her lips, sending a shockwave all through Hanni’s skin. “Shush. Enough. So what if I am?”

Hanni could answer if she wanted to. But she used the excuse that Minji’s finger stopped her from doing so. She was so close. Hanni’s heart thundered in her ears, louder than the usual buzz. Hanni looked down for a second, at Minji’s lips, swallowing dry. Minji blinked and retreated, clearing .

“Back to music theory.” Minji pulled the book forward.

Yes. It was the best. As Hanni did the same, her phone lit up with an upcoming call from Danielle.

“Yes?”

“We’re here already!”

Hanni peeked at the time. Already five? How did time fly so fast?

“Oh, . We lost track of time. We’ll be there asap.” Danielle giggled and Hanni hung up. “They’re there, let’s go. You’re safe from chord progressions for now.”

Minji threw a fist in the air with a tiny little sound that no way in this world Hanni would say could come from her lips. Freaking adorable, by the way.

In a mere three minutes, they left the library and made their way to the practice room. Letting themselves in, Hanni giggled as Danielle and Haerin talked in Korean with a lot of enthusiasm.

“Oh, hi, guys!” Danielle stood up and rushed to hug them, and Haerin waved at them in the back. “How are you doing?”

“Great, Hanni helped me study, so it was nice.”

Danielle eyed Hanni with the tiniest hint of a teasing smile, but Hanni was more focused on the way Minji patted Haerin’s head before moving to the drums.

“And how are you guys? You sounded excited.” Hanni was quick to not let Danielle say one word.

“Super! We were just talking about jazz and whatnot when you arrived. Wanna start right away or do you wanna warm up first?”

“Warm up, then let’s hear your song,” Minji said, rotating her shoulders. “Also, I’m sorry about yesterday, Dani. You know, for bailing on you guys.”

“Oh, that’s okay! It’s not urgent, anyway. I’m just super excited to have your guys helping me. Thank you again, for real!”

“No worries. Now, let’s start. A little improv?”

Danielle skipped back to her chair next to Haerin, shooting her a smile as she grabbed her guitar. Haerin had her mint bass on her lap already, and Hanni changed the settings on the synth.

“I’ll start, you guys join whenever.” Minji adjusted her posture, drumsticks in hand.

Counting from five to eight, Minji started at the next beat. A simple, very basic rhythm to start with, and shortly after Haerin joined. Hanni remembered how they arrived together that other day, and assumed they probably practiced a lot together. It felt like they knew exactly what they were doing, as if they had rehearsed that a million times, even though it was all improvisation. Danielle's guitar joined them, and now only Hanni was left. But her fingers froze, her eyes still on Minji. Why did she feel so hypnotized? What was there about Minji that made her so… different? Hanni had seen countless drummers perform. But there was something about Minji that was just… special.

Minji met her eyes, as if asking her to join them. Hanni gulped and focused down. Something, just anything at all. But what if she ruined everything? It was practice, for s sake. Sighing, she forced herself to play something, a basic harmony to accompany the melody of Danielle’s guitar.

They went on for a few minutes, Hanni stealing a glance at Minji here and there. And she smiled every time, because the hype on Minji’s face, the gleam in her eyes was so evident it was contagious. The medium tempo she had set at the beginning turned faster, stronger, and they kept with it as best as they could. Danielle also played in a way Hanni had never seen. Forget about simple chords. She delivered a whole guitar solo, finishing with a riff as you would hear at the end of a rock song, and the others followed.

They stared at each other during the next seconds of silence.

“Damn,” Minji’s breathing got faster. “That was amazing. I didn't know you could play like that, Dani.”

“Oh.” Danielle giggled, her cheeks redder than before. “Thank you! I don't normally play like this, but it feels nice to go all in. And you guys are amazing as well! This was so cool.”

Hanni nodded. Her chest tightened with a mix of awe and envy. She could not play the guitar like that.

“It was. We should do this more often. It's normally just me and Haerin playing, but this is so much fun,” Minji said.

“I'm no fun?” Haerin asked.

“Of course you are. Wasn’t I the one inviting you in the first place?”

Haerin nodded. “It was fun, indeed. Let’s hear Dani’s song?”

Danielle’s face lit up even more when Minji gave her a thumbs-up. The three of them went over the song from the start, Danielle’s ever so sweet voice blending in perfectly with the instrumental they had composed together.

And even if I’m scared
Who’s gonna stop me? Who’s gonna stop me?
No one will tear me down
But the fearful eyes staring at me in the mirror
You, you’re my only enemy

They stared at Minji, whose lips pressed together in an unreadable expression.

“Wow, that… that was ing awesome,” Minji finally said.

“Really? You liked it?” Danielle gripped the neck of her guitar.

“Really. I was expecting something good from how well Hanni spoke of your song, but you guys still managed to surprise me. And you have an amazing voice. And those lyrics… Damn. So, I only have to get some drums in there, right?”

Danielle nodded with the biggest smile one could deliver. “Yes! Oh, thank you! And thank you, Hanni and Haerinie too! They deserve merit as well, I couldn’t do it without them!”

“I only spilled facts, man.” Hanni winked at her, catching Haerin with an endearing smile, eyes fixed on Danielle as if nothing else existed around her.

“Yes, you guys are great, for real. And I can’t fall behind. I’ll do my best.” Minji adjusted her posture. “You can start from the beginning.”

“You’ll do great!”

Danielle glanced and gave everyone a nod before starting again. Hanni’s heart beat faster the second Minji’s drums joined the song. One normally doesn’t add drums in the end when composing a song, but of course Minji would be able to.

The second they finished, Danielle squealed and clapped and jumped in her seat. “You guys! We have a song! An actual song!”

“I can do better, I need to go through it more times to memorize it, but it sounds nice,” Minji said.

“It was perfect already! I am so happy. You don’t understand.”

Hanni couldn’t help but smile too. Danielle was such a happy pill. “I think we get it, Dani. And we’re glad. Right, guys?”

Haerin snapped out of her trance fixed on Danielle once again and dropped her gaze to her bass. “Let’s go again.”

They lost track of time. They didn’t know how many more times they played the song, every one of them better than the previous. Minji kept changing a thing here and there, improving it every time. It made Hanni want to do it too, but what if she ruined what they already created?

She didn’t allow herself and played exactly like all other times. It was good like that. She hoped.

“I think we should stop here,” Hanni said, checking the time on her phone. Almost seven.

“Yes, let’s wrap up.” Minji stretched her back. “Great job, everyone.”

“We did amazing!” Danielle stood up. “And I hope you had fun!”

“A lot. It felt nice to play something different for a change. Thank you for inviting me, Dani.”

They made their way outside, the sound of the rain coming into earshot as they approached the main entrance.

“Oh, great.” Hanni sighed.

Minji stood a step ahead of her and looked back, umbrella in hand. “Need a ride?”

She didn’t answer. Minji opened the umbrella and smiled. Danielle and Haerin left the building, sharing one. Danielle clung onto Haerin’s arm, the sight adorable.

Nothing weird about sharing an umbrella, right?

Hanni joined Minji, standing as close as their arms touching, and Minji led the way.

“How come you’re the Aussie one, but I’m the one carrying an umbrella?” Minji said.

“Indeed. I guess I’m so used to the weather being so unpredictable I gave up on checking it in the morning.”

“Well, I checked. And it said it would rain. And here we are.“

It was hot, the air thick and the rain drops hitting Minji’s blue umbrella.

“You okay?” Minji asked.

“Hm?” Hanni looked up at her, maybe forgetting for a second how tall Minji was, especially when she was that close to her. “Yeah, I’m okay. Why do you ask?”

“I don’t know. Seems like something’s on your mind.”

It was. A lot of things. The song, the details Hanni wanted to point out to hopefully improve the song overall, but was too afraid to come off as bossy. The changes in her synth harmony that she was also too afraid to try out.

The reason as to why did her heart beat so alarmingly fast every goddamn time Minji was so close.

“I guess I’m just tired.” Hanni forced a smile.

“You can talk to me.” Minji’s voice sounded so… caring. So cute, so dearly. “You know that, right? Just like I talk to you about my stuff.”

And it was as if Minji did know something was there to say. How did she, though? Was Hanni that easy to read?

“I know.” Hanni reached for her arm, but hesitated. Looking ahead again, Danielle and Haerin chatted about something in Korean. Laughing, Danielle leaned her head on Haerin’s shoulder.

Hanni had no answers or solutions for the questions, the doubts in her mind.

But she answered yes to the little voice telling her to grab Minji’s arm and get even closer, mimicking Danielle and slightly tilting her head towards Minji’s shoulder.

---

A/N - pouty sulky Minji >:cc WITH GLASSES!!!!!

Twitter - @itzloonatic
CuriousCat - curiouscat.me/itzloonatic