Worth the internal battle

Tugging at your Heartstrings

It wasn’t because they were on vacation that they slacked off. Hanni went to the practice room almost everyday, practicing their song and trying to write more lyrics. Not those she started writing that reminded her of a certain someone… Just something else, alongside a nice melody and a piano harmony to go with it. Was that her best work ever? No, but at least she was doing something. And she should ask for Danielle’s help with the guitar. Well, and the others. They were a band now. It was like that fact still hadn’t sunk in for Hanni.

Friday rolled fast, and they had band practice that afternoon. But before that, Hanni spent a good couple of hours in the bakery club room, trying a specific cream bread recipe she had found the night before. She had promised Minji, after all… oh, and the carrot cake she promised Danielle.

Hanni knocked on their usual practice room before entering. Much to her surprise, Minji was already there, a smile on her lips. “Hey.”

“Oh, hey. Practicing already?”

“I’ve been here for a bit. Working on those lyrics I promised.”

Hanni dropped her bag to the floor and faced Minji. “Wait, you were serious?”

“Of course. We’re a band. I don’t know if I told you, but in my previous band, I tried to help with the lyrics. They mostly , though. But I wanna make nice, cool songs. And yes, I’m super embarrassed that I’ll have to show them to you someday, but it’s part of the process, right? I shouldn’t be scared. I would be a hypocrite.”

Hanni found herself walking towards Minji, who sat on the drums bench. She didn’t stop herself, or the hand that went to push the strand of hair out of her ponytail behind her ear. “Wow, Minji. That’s admirable. And inspiring.”

“You inspired me.” Minji reached for her hand, and Hanni trembled. “I knew I would learn from you. Not just about music theory or chord progressions, but all these things. How to be a better musician, how to handle possible failure. I told you, that’s a big no no for me. But I’m working on it. And I know you are too, I can see it.”

Her breathing got faster. Maybe she should have stayed on the other side, near the keyboard, and not almost hugging Minji. To fight or not to fight the urge, though?

“I-I’m learning a lot from you too. You encouraged me to speak up.”

“Well, I guess we bring out the best in each other, so thank-“

There was a knock on the door and Hanni hurried to step back, clearing .

“Oh, you’re here!” Danielle stepped inside, pulling Haerin with her. (Those two met every day since Danielle’s birthday at the beginning of the week. They were so cute it became disgusting.) “Guess what!”

Neither Hanni nor Minji answered, waiting simply.

“I met Chan just now, he told us there’s gonna be another concert!” Danielle beamed. “Next Friday, in exactly one week! It’s our chance to perform!”

Hanni exchanged a widened-eyed look with Minji.

“Is he gonna perform with the others?” Hanni asked.

“He said they’re preparing. We should too! We’re not limited to one song, so let’s perform our original and something else. How about a cover?”

“Isn’t it too late now for us to prepare a cover?” Haerin asked, plugging her bass.

“We can do it. We can perfectly do it,” Minji said, fire burning in her eyes. “If we decide on the song today and each one of us starts learning our parts, we can definitely do it.”

Danielle grinned harder. “Yes, leader!”

Minji ignored the remark. “So, what song should we play?”

“Oh, there’s just so many songs I would love to perform… what vibe are we going for?”

“Let’s take ten minutes or so to write down songs we would like to learn and perform. Then we present it and choose. Does that sound fair?”

“Yes, captain,” Haerin said, sitting down with her phone in hand.

Ten minutes went by in an instant. Everyone went through their suggestions, then waited for Minji to read her list.

“’Bad’ by Wave to Earth.”

Hanni flared her nostrils, trying not to smile or move her eyes or react at all.

“And?” Danielle said.

“Nothing else. That’s the song I wanna cover.”

They shared looks in silence.

“I mean, I love that song!” Danielle said and looked at Hanni’s way. “You like it a lot too, right?”

“Y-Yeah. A lot.”

“Me too,” Haerin said. “It’s cute and fun. I’m sure we can learn that one in time.”

“You could just have said that’s the only one you wanted to cover, though!” Danielle chuckled at Minji.

“But now we have a list, so we can play some of your songs next time. So, are we learning ‘Bad’? You two are gonna sing, remember that.” Minji pointed her drumstick at Danielle and Hanni.

“Of course!” Danielle clapped her hands in excitement. “I agree!”

“Same.” Haerin nodded.

All eyes on Hanni. “Yeah. Let’s do ‘Bad’.”

Minji mouthed a ‘yes!’, and cleared . “Nice. Do you think you can learn your parts during the weekend? And then next week we start.”

“Yes, captain!” Haerin shouted.

“Okay, we’re agreeing that Minji’s the leader as well, right?” Danielle finally voiced their thoughts.

“But she already is.”

“What?” Minji irked an eyebrow. “Since when?”

“Day one.” Haerin plucked the first string, tuning her bass.

“Why? What did I do?”

“You totally have leader vibes,” Danielle said. “The way you just organized this and encouraged us to learn the song, even though we have only one week. Like, you said that, and we just believed it.”

Hanni nodded. “Agree.”

Minji sighed, shoulders slouching. “If everyone agrees, I can’t really say no, can I?”

“Just do what you already do. You’re doing amazing.” Hanni smiled at her.

And that did the trick. Minji smiled back and raised her drumsticks in the air. “Okay, then, let’s rock this and kill that performance!”

“They’re out having a beer,” Hanni said as they left the cafeteria after dinner. “Yunjin just messaged me. Do you guys wanna join them?”

“I’m so down for a beer!” Danielle said. “We worked super hard, we deserve it!”

Hanni turned to Minji. “You coming?”

“You are, right?”

“I think so, yeah.”

“Then I’ll go.” Minji smiled, walking ahead.

There she was.

In just a few minutes they arrived at the bar near campus, where the whole group occupied a big table outside. It was a beautiful night, no rain, just a bit of a chill breeze.

Yunjin jumped from her chair to hug Hanni and the others, and Chan took vacant chairs from other tables for them.

“How’s your break so far?” He asked as Hanni sat next to him.

“Great, actually.” Hanni glanced by the corner of her eye as Minji pushed her chair to Hanni’s side. “Danielle and Haerin got together, I’ve been working on a song, playing with them, resting.”

“Working on a song?” Chan’s eyebrows rose. “Damn, a masterpiece incoming! When are you blessing the world with it?”

Hanni waved her hands. “It’s nothing special, just… me trying to put feeling down.”

“Oh, I feel you. Writing lyrics? Best way for me.”

“I wish I could do it better. Sometimes it’s just so hard.”

“I’m sure you’re doing amazing.” Chan smiled. “By the way, you entering the concert this time?”

Hanni eyed Minji, but she was focused on her phone. Was it a secret? Was she supposed to not disclose that information?

“Who knows.” Hanni shrugged, accepting the beer Yunjin brought her with a thanks.

“You totally are! But okay, I’m not gonna ask for details. I want it to be a surprise.”

“Are you going?”

“But of course. My group is ready to kill it.”

“You absolutely will, I have no doubts. And I’m super curious to see what you’re gonna do next.”

“Hopefully something even better than last time.”

“Damn, that’s ambitious!”

“Gotta be.” Chan smirked, taking a large gulp of his beer.

“Does anyone wanna play something?” Minji’s voice boomed around the table. “Felix, bring the Jenga.”

He almost flew from his chair.

“Are you okay?” Hanni leaned closer to Minji.

“Yes. Why wouldn’t I be?”

“I don’t know, you tell me.”

Minji met her gaze. Something was definitely there, but what, Hanni didn’t know.

Felix was back with the Jenga and everyone cleared the center of the table so he could set the tower. It didn’t matter how many times they played it, it was always fun. Haewon threw the tower down before Hanni could even touch it.

“Girl, how many beers did you have before we even got here?” Danielle asked Haewon.

“Three,” Lily answered for her.

Yunjin shook her head. “Is she getting wasted tonight or what?”

“So I have to take her to her room and make sure she doesn’t throw up in her bed?” Lily rolled her eyes. “Please don’t.”

Kazuha snorted. “That so happened before.”

“No!” Haewon stood up, hand banging the table. “I did not throw up!”

“You did, you liar!” Lily frowned.

“Excuse you? I did not throw up in my bed!”

“But you did throw up! In the thrash bin that I was so fast to give you, or else you would have!”

Minji and Haerin suppressed their laughs next to Hanni.

“Get a ing room, you two.” Felix shook his head.

“You get a room, you single !” Lily raised a fist at him.

“You single !” Felix mimicked her voice, but much deeper.

“Anyway!” Danielle raised her hands. “Let’s go for another round?”

“Haewon gotta drink, though,” Chan said.

“Nuh uh!” Terror flashed on Lily’s face.

“Then you drink instead of her.”

Lily sighed, grabbed her beer, and chugged it down in one go.

“That’s love right there,” Chan snickered.

“It is, isn’t it?” Haewon sat again, eyes on Lily. “I think so too.”

“I’m gonna puke,” Felix faked a gag.

Yunjin smacked the back of his head. “Shut up and set the tower.”

The second round was way more competitive. Hanni observed as Minji removed a tricky piece, lowkey praying she would throw the tower down. But Minji managed to take it, smirking at Hanni. “Karma will be a .”

“What, I didn’t even say anything!”

“I can read your mind, babe.”

Hanni froze. The table went silent.

Excuse me what now?

“Your turn.” Chan elbowed her.

“R-Right.”

And karma was indeed a . No, actually, Minji was. She said that on purpose so Hanni would get nervous and unfocused, her trembling hands throwing the tower down.

“Oops. Guess you gotta drink, and not me.” Minji threw her the smuggest of the smug smirks.

“ you,” Hanni mumbled before one shooting her beer.

She could still feel Minji’s eyes on her.

“I’ll set the tower.” Chan stood up.

“No, let me.” Minji was faster to reach for it. “After all, Hanni only lost because I ed up her next turn.”

The smirk was still there, and Hanni wanted to take it off her face somehow. A slap, maybe. Or maybe with a kis-

“I-I’ll start, right?” Hanni leaned forward as Minji finished.

She took the first piece with ease and the game went on, but Hanni wasn’t there. Her body was, her mind was far, far away. In a battle against itself. The images were so vivid she wanted to punch herself instead.

Why did she even imagine that just now? That was weird. So weird.

But then why did it feel so good? And why did she want to go there, to let her mind go wild and show her whatever it wanted?

“Pham Hanni!” Minji’s hand gripped her arm, and Hanni’s vision focused again, coming back from her dissociating state. “It’s your turn. Make sure to not throw it down again, you didn’t even get a refill yet.”

Hanni faced Minji. She visibly bit back a laugh. Or another smirk, Hanni didn’t know. She was tired, though. Tired of the game, tired of Minji’s games. Hanni looked at the tower and punched through it. Gasps erupted around the table, some chuckled, and Hanni faced Minji. “Go get me a refill, then.”

Now, Minji did not expect that. Neither did Hanni, but she was proud of herself. Proud of how Minji struggled to say anything, until with nothing said, she stood up and walked inside the bar.

“Savage.” Yunjin nodded with a proud smile. “Loved it.”

Hanni’s face burned at that point, but it was worth it. Minji was back with two bottles.

“Drink up.” She set Hanni’s in front of her.

She did, but only a few gulps. Hanni leaned towards Minji, a hand to her leg for support, and whispered near her ear - “wanna go for a night walk?”

Hanni felt Minji’s leg contract under her palm and could hear a sharp inhale. What exactly did Hanni do?

“Well.” Minji cleared , standing up. “I am suddenly so tired. Have fun, y’all!”

“What? But we barely arrived!” Danielle whined.

Hanni got up on her feet as well, beer in hand. “Long day.”

Danielle’s face shifted. Hanni wanted to slap that smirk off as well.

“Oh, right, you’re totally right. Go ahead! Have a great night, you two! Rest well!”

“Bye, everyone!” Minji waved a hand. “Oh, and Lily, please take Haewon home.”

Hanni expected a few curses from her, but Lily smiled instead. “Was already going to.”

Minji gave her a thumbs up and went on ahead, Hanni following, saying bye as well.

It was getting chillier even, but the beer warmed her up.

“So, why the change of plans? You were excited about coming,” Minji said.

Hanni wondered as well. “It’s a pretty night. It’s not raining, we should enjoy it.”

Minji hummed, taking a few more sips of her beer. “Where to?”

“The playground?”

In silence they walked there. Why did it feel awkward? It never was. Even if they stayed or walked in silence, it was normally comfortable.

A few kids ran around the swings, so Minji led the way to an empty bench.

“Excited to perform?” Minji asked.

“Very. Nervous too, I guess? It’s been a while since I played live music. And the first in this genre.” She paused. “I won’t mess up, right?”

“Impossible. Pham Hanni doesn’t miss.”

Hanni smiled, leaning forward on her knees and looking to the side, at Minji. “You hype me up so much.”

“So do you. I think I’ll never forget when you screamed for me at the concert. It made my day.”

“I was embarrassed.” Hanni chuckled. “But you deserved it.”

“You made me feel a bit like myself. Not my brother’s sister, but Kim Minji. So, thank you, Hanni. I know I’m always saying the same and it’s lame, but I mean it.”

“It’s not lame.” Hanni frowned a bit. “Your feelings aren’t lame. They’re real and valid.”

Minji held the gaze, but looked down at the bottle between her hands with a hum.

“Why do you want to perform ‘Bad’ so bad? Wow, that sounded… weird.” Hanni chuckled.

“I just want to. I told you, I love that song.”

“No other reason?”

Minji pondered for a bit. “Like what, because I wanted to hear you sing it?”

“Kim Minji.” Hanni sat back, leaning on the bench, chin low. “Did you just admit that?”

“No?” Minji scoffed. “Not at all.”

Hanni had to laugh. “Silly. You know you can just ask me.”

“Pham Hanni.” Minji mimicked her, sitting back as well. “Did you just admit that?”

“Y-You know that, though! As if I don’t give you private concerts all the damn time!”

“Then, sing ‘Bad’ for me next time. You know, to practice a bit.”

Always that ing excuse.

The wind blew harder, making Hanni shiver.

“Wanna go back?” Minji asked.

“Not back to the bar, no. But, my room?”

Minji got up on her feet, hand extended. Hanni took it in hers, but Minji didn’t let go. How warm it was. She squeezed Hanni’s. Must be the cold.

Throwing the beer bottles to the thrash first, they stepped inside the building and rushed to Hanni’s room. Why was her heart beating so much, though? It was not the first, second, or third time they were alone in her room.

The thoughts of earlier flashed on her mind. A different setting this time.

Right there.

“Let’s watch a movie?” Hanni said, reaching for her laptop on her desk.

“Sure.” Minji was already all comfy in Hanni’s bed, Jerry against her chest. Wasn’t that Hanni’s place, though? “What you wanna watch?”

“Dani was talking about Heartstopper. Wanna give it a try?”

“I’ve watched it all. It was me telling Haerin to watch it with Dani. I guess it worked?”

“Wow, Kim Minji. So much for not getting involved.” Hanni sat next to her.

“I just told her it’s a really nice and fun show to watch! I didn’t do anything at all. It was not me suggesting Haerin to watch the music video of ‘wish that I could’ with Dani.” Minji chuckled. Oh. She knew the song. “Open Netflix and let’s choose something.”

Of course it would take at least fifteen minutes of scrolling through it first.

“Just put on Shrek,” Minji said.

Hanni blinked. “I don’t know if you’re serious or not.”

“I am!” Minji laughed. “It’s fun. It’s been years since I’ve watched it, I don’t remember much.”

Hanni did not expect to finish her Friday watching Shrek with Minji on her bed. Oh, and she did claim her place. Or should she say, Minji scooted over and patted her shoulder. Hanni leaned there and there she stayed.

Somewhere halfway through the movie, Hanni’s phone chimed.

[modani]
I’m staying the night in Haerin’s room!
Hope you’re having fun, and sleep well! 😉

That was on purpose. There was no way it wasn’t. So what now, was Hanni supposed to tell Minji to stay the night?

Hanni tensed up. Full on panic.

“Uh, Minji?” Hanni called. “Dani’s gonna stay the night in your room.”

Minji didn’t answer. Hanni frowned and peeked up. Minji was sleeping.

“Oh, great. Let’s watch Shrek, she said. It’s fun, she said.”

But, having Minji sleeping while Hanni snuggled there wasn’t so bad. So she let Minji rest and finished the movie on her own.

The credits rolled when Hanni shook her up. “Hey, Kim Minji, wake up.”

“Hm?” Minji opened her eyes, looking around as if she had never seen Hanni’s room. “, did I fall asleep? Why didn’t you wake me up?”

“You wouldn’t fall asleep if you weren’t indeed tired, so I let you sleep.”

“What time is it?”

“Almost one.”

“…” Minji yawned. “I should go back.”

“Right, about that… you didn’t hear what I said a while ago, did you?”

“What?”

“Dani’s in your room. Spending the night with Haerin.”

“Bruh.” Minji let her head fall back, hitting the pillows, but returned it fast, eyes huge on her face. “Wait. I can’t go back. What if… what if I interrupt someth-“

“Kim Minji!”

“What? I mean, they’re dating!”

“It’s not even been a full week!”

“And?”

“Oh gosh, shut up. Just sleep here, I’ll take Dani’s bed.”

Hanni was about to stand up, but a hand grabbed her wrist. She looked back, meeting Minji’s serious face.

“You can stay here. There’s room for the both of us.”

Hanni gulped. “L-Let me go change and wash my teeth at least!”

Minji giggled as Hanni picked her pajamas from her chair and rushed to the bathroom. Her chest heaved with each breath.

Oh god. Oh god?

Okay, keep it cool. It’s fine! Friends share beds. That’s totally normal!

Hurrying up and not giving her own mind time to panic even more, Hanni went back. “There’s an extra toothbrush there, you can use it. And, uh, let me get you some clothes.”

“Didn’t expect to have a sleepover tonight.”

“Yeah, me neither.”

“Are you upset?”

“No.” Hanni grabbed a random baggy t-shirt and shorts from her drawer.

“Sounds like you are.”

“Well, are you?”

“Why would I be?”

Hanni shoved the clothes on Minji’s arms. “Exactly. Now go.”

“Thanks.” Minji smiled and disappeared inside the bathroom.

Hanni sighed. A long, dragged, loud sigh. Okay, panic was under control. She placed the laptop on her desk and pulled the sheets back, arranging the pillows. Jerry, out of the way.

Not even five minutes later and Minji was back. Hanni eyed her with her clothes and giggled.

“What?” Minji looked down at herself. “You gave me this!”

“Looks cute.”

“Anyway.” Minji walked over and sat at the edge of the bed.

Hanni was already on her favorite side, the wall, eyes fixed on her. “Are you not gonna lie down?” She did. Still, so at the edge, Hanni feared she would fall. “There’s space, you know. You were the one saying there’s enough room.”

“R-Right.”

Minji scooted a bit closer, still lying on her back and eyes at the ceiling. Hanni stared at her side profile. Would she ever get tired of doing so?

The panic washed over again. All of a sudden? Hanni was fine! Oh. Was it because she wanted to be even closer?

“Minji,” Hanni called in a whisper. Minji faced her and Hanni patted her shoulder, just like Minji always did.

It took Minji a few seconds to react. But when she did, and when she snuggled, Hanni feared she would hear the storm raging inside her chest. Her arm came around Minji’s shoulders, searching for a place to rest. Her hair seemed a good option.

None said a thing. Minji’s arm rested lazily around Hanni’s stomach, and a leg over hers. Hanni chuckled. Bear Minji at its finest.

Hanni was still unsure. Or was she? Scared, definitely. But it was still worth it. Having Minji like that was worth the internal battle.

And she wanted more even.

“Let’s go to the beach tomorrow.” Hanni blurted.

Minji looked up. Hanni could almost kiss her. Forehead. Her forehead, she meant.

“Is it gonna rain?” Minji asked.

“I sure hope not.”

“Then, let’s go.”

A full on silence next. It was late, everyone was probably asleep already. Or still out. Barely a minute went by, and Minji’s breathing got heavier. Hanni peeked down, at her closed eyes.

“Minji?” Hanni whispered.

Fast asleep. Hanni’s hand was still in her hair, but not moving. Until that moment. As carefully as she could, she let her fingers slide through her black locks.

And without thinking twice or stopping herself, she kissed Minji’s forehead.

“Good night.”

---

A/N - I love this chapter I love the bickering when they're all together I love bbangsaz 

what else can i say??? look forward to the next chapter, I guess........ :)))

Twitter - @itzloonatic
CuriousCat - curiouscat.me/itzloonatic