Aren't we one?

Tugging at your Heartstrings

Hanni was the first to arrive, a few minutes before five. She prepared everything, changed the settings on the synth, and started practicing right away, trying a thing or two on her own while she was alone. She already played and listened to the song enough times to memorize the lyrics, so she sang along to make it easier to match her ideas to the main melody.

She tried slowing the rhythm. It became more dramatic, nostalgic. She liked it. Would the others like it too?

Would she be brave enough to speak up her ideas this time?

“Were you singing just now?”

Hanni her bench, widening her eyes at Danielle. “S-Since when are you there?”

“For long enough to hear you sing. And you sound so good? You never mentioned you sing too!” Danielle dropped her bag, chin low. “Do that again!”

Good. Now Hanni felt self-conscious. “I… I was really not. And you’re the singer, not me.”

“Well, let’s just sing together, then! I didn’t even know you could sing like that.”

“Because I can’t.”

“Hanni Pham!” Danielle flicked her arm. “Just do it like you did!”

Hanni sighed. She shouldn’t have opened . She took a deep breath first. Her hands trembled as they hovered over the keyboard.

She played first, almost failing. But her voice wouldn’t come out at all. She had always been a classical musician. She didn’t sing. Not in front of others, at least.

“Do you want me to sing with you?” Danielle asked as Hanni gave up on even playing the keys.

“Would you?”

“Of course. From the beginning. And Hanni.” Danielle reached for her hand with her warmest smile. “It’s only me here, bro. You’re fine.”

Hanni mirrored her smile, an attempt to steal some of her contagious energy and confidence. Clenching her jaw, she played the song from the start again, and when Danielle sang, Hanni somehow made her voice cords work. Barely audible at the beginning, but as the song progressed, her voice got a bit louder, and she could hear the smile in Danielle’s voice.

When she lifted her fingers from the keys, Danielle gasped. “That was great! I love your voice, Hanni!”

“W-What, really?”

“Yes! For real, real! There’s no way you won’t be singing this song with me. It would be such a waste.”

“But…”

“Do you like to sing? Like, be honest.”

Hanni met her eyes. Such a serious expression was rare on Danielle’s face.

“I do. I’ve always liked to sing, but just for fun. You know, in my room, to the songs I like.”

“Do you want to sing? Did you enjoy it just now? Again, be honest. No matter how much potential you have there, if you don’t want to, I’ll respect that and I won’t insist.”

It’s not like she didn’t want to. But Hanni never even considered that as an option.

Why, though? Didn’t Danielle want to be a songwriter and composer, and a singer? And even if Hanni didn’t want to professionally be one, she could still do it. She could try.

But she would fail. She would mess up. And her friends would see it.

But Danielle had failed before. There was this time her voice cracked so hard they couldn’t continue playing, and had to stop to laugh all together. Was she embarrassed? Probably. Or not. Judging by Danielle’s attitude, always so laid back and not afraid to mess up, she probably didn’t even remember that happening anymore.

Why was Hanni so afraid to fail? Because it would only prove people right about her? That she wasn’t great at anything? And only pretended she was? And even so, managed to get people jealous because somehow she still managed to do everything at least well enough?

all of those who said those things about you. - Minji’s voice rang in her memory.

“I want to.” Hanni balled her fists. “I want to sing.”

Danielle’s face lit up, the sun shining again. “Really?”

“Yes. I’ll not be the best. But I wanna try, at least.”

“You don’t need to be, Hanni. We’re college students, for ’s sake! No one here is a professional yet! We’re here to learn and experiment. And above all, to have fun. You said yesterday you wanted to perform and have fun on stage. Don’t forget that!”

“Yes.” Hanni nodded, slowly. “Yes, you are so right, Dani. Thank you. I needed that.”

“Glad it helped! Wanna do it again?”

But there was a knock on the door. Danielle yelled a yes, and Minji stepped inside with Haerin.

“Hey, guys!” Danielle stood up and rushed to hug them. “Minji, coffee at this time?”

Minji sipped on her tumbler. “Oops.”

Hanni chuckled, and Minji met her eyes. She walked over and patted the top of her head. “Hey.”

“H-Hi.” Hanni always felt so small whenever Minji was close. Especially if Hanni was sitting down. She looked elsewhere, at Haerin, and waved.

“We have a lot to practice! And you wanna know why?” Danielle went back to her bench. “Hanni will sing with me!”

Minji froze mid-way to the drums. She looked back, eyebrows high on her forehead. “Hanni will what now?”

“I know right! I’m still just as shocked as you.”

Oh. Right. This meant… singing in front of Minji. Hanni wanted nothing more than to crawl away and hide forever.

“Alright.” Minji nodded and sat at the drums. “Let’s warm up, then?”

Five minutes of improvising just like the other time, and then their song one time. Hanni didn’t sing this time, focusing on the keys. And at all the little things she wanted to suggest. The other time, Minji guaranteed her it was okay to do so. That she wanted to hear everything.

Still, why was it so hard?

“Should we try with Hanni singing now?” Danielle said.

“The w-whole song?!”

“Why not? So we can see what suits you the best, and distribute the lines. You should sing everything first and see what you feel comfortable in singing.”

She knew that. But it had already been so hard to sing in front of only Danielle, how could she possibly do it with Haerin and Minji there as well?

“I think we should focus on the arrangement first,” Minji said, glancing at Hanni. “Something’s bothering me with my drums and I wanna fix it.”

Hanni stared at her, lips apart. Did she realize? Did Minji somehow know how nervous Hanni was and just saved her from that situation?

“I think they sound great, though,” Danielle said.

This was it. Hanni’s queue. She knew exactly what it was, she had thought of it and wanted to mention it.

“They’re too loud,” Hanni blurted, all eyes on her. She wouldn’t be scared anymore. She would fight through her trembling hands. “You’re mainly a rock and metal drummer, right? Your play style is an aggressive one. This song is meant to be more… popish, I guess. And somehow chill.”

“Agreed.” Haerin nodded, shifting her attention to Minji. “Just like our professor tells you. Regulate your movements. Moderate and save energy. Be calm.”

“Wow. Such wise words!” Danielle stared at Haerin. “That does make sense!”

Minji only listened, lips a thin line, and Hanni feared she would fight back. Maybe they had triggered something, or maybe Hanni was rude with her words?

“N-Not that it’s a bad thing, though!” Hanni added. “You’re an amazing player, and being that aggressive is not a problem. You killed it yesterday, and you gave it your all. But for this song… I guess it’s not exactly what we’re going for. Does that make sense?”

“Of course.” Minji smiled. Didn’t seem like a fake one… “and I’ve been trying to control it, but like you said, I’ve played rock and metal all my life. It’s difficult to change it. Even if I consciously tell myself to not use all my energy, after a minute or so, I just… go with full force again.” She chuckled. “Thank you guys. I really want to expand my skills and learn different styles and genres, so I’ll do my best to apply it here.”

Hanni’s shoulders relaxed. It worked. “Then let’s do it again from the beginning and try your best to apply that. But during Dani’s guitar solo, apply more energy towards the end. As the lyrics tell, someone that is scared of taking a step forward, but then they finally do it in the end. You get what I mean? Can you do that?”

Minji twirled a drumstick in her fingers. “But of course.”

It made such a huge difference already. But Hanni wasn’t done. There was a lot more she wanted to say.

So she did it. She told Haerin to try and change a few frets here and there, and also be a bit louder towards the end of Danielle’s solo, always playing those parts and see if it worked, and always getting everyone’s opinion.

In a matter of an hour, they made a ton of progress. And Hanni, confidence. She wasn’t afraid anymore. They listened attentively to everything Hanni had to say, as big or small of a change it could be. They tried time and time again, discussing the best outcome and giving even more suggestions. Minji was like the mediator - guiding the convo and collecting every opinion every single time, making sure everyone was always in agreement.

To finish their practice session, they played the song from the beginning one last time with all the new changes.

And the difference was so evident.

“Oh my gosh!” Danielle chuckled, looking around at them. “It sounds so freaking good!”

“It does,” Haerin said. “And much better than before.”

“We looked like an actual band,” Minji said. “And sounded like one. Damn, I missed this feeling.”

“You performed just yesterday, though,” Hanni said.

“I know. But… somehow, this was different. Yesterday was a performance for the sake of it. This has meaning. A song we’re all working together on. And I am actually enjoying it.”

“What should be our name?” Haerin asked.

“Name? For what?” Danielle irked an eyebrow at her.

“Our band.”

“Are we a band?”

Haerin shrugged. “Minji said we looked and sounded like one. We’re playing music and we want to perform together. Aren’t we one?”

The silence dragged.

“A band…” Danielle mumbled. “I’ve never been in a band.”

“Me neither,” Hanni said. “Just, orchestras and trios and such. Not the same at all.”

“Well…” Minji smiled. “I guess this can be your first band, then.”

“But, wouldn’t you guys prefer to form one with someone from your major? That has experience in it and-“

“No.” Minji looked Hanni straight in the eyes. “I’ve played with most of my classmates. Not the same at all.”

“I agree,” Haerin said. “You guys are fun. I really like to hang out with you.”

Danielle squeaked, taking her hands to . Was she gonna cry? Hanni almost chuckled, but managed to hold it in.

“Okay, homework,” Minji said. “Think of names. And practice on your own if you can. If you happen to have new ideas or suggestions, bring them. Hanni,” Minji faced her. “are you comfortable about singing during the next practice?”

Hanni glanced at Danielle. Her smile was once again encouraging.

“Yes. I’ll practice until then.”

Danielle squealed. “I’ll help you! We can even have the song divided until the next practice so we save time.”

“That would be perfect,” Minji said.

“I’m so happy!” Danielle clapped her hands in tiny. “I just wanted some help with a small personal project, and look what it led us to! My first band! Thank you so much, guys. I… I can’t, even.”

“Thank you for bringing us together.” Haerin smiled, eyes on her.

Those two.

“Alright, let’s go get dinner?” Minji stood up, stretching her arms up as always. “I want ice cream again.”

“If you eat your veggies,” Hanni mumbled.

Minji rolled her eyes, but Hanni caught the hint of a smile.

---

A/N - And we got a band!!!!!!!!

Okay huge dose of fluff in the next chapter, get readyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Twitter - @itzloonatic
CuriousCat - curiouscat.me/itzloonatic