The courage to name it

Tugging at your Heartstrings

Danielle stared at them with big eyes.

“I know what you did,” Hanni said, hands on her waist and an attempt at a stern face.

Haerin and Hyein grabbed their drinks, sipping in silence. Minji giggled and grabbed Hanni’s hand. “It worked.“

Danielle yelled, loud and high pitched, jumping from her chair and towards them. “Really?!”

“Really. Thank you, Dani.” Hanni hugged her back.

“I helped!” Hyein got up as well.

“You did?!” Minji frowned. “I can’t believe my little sister set me up.”

“Well, someone had to do something,” Haerin said. “Congrats, guys.”

Danielle cleared her eyes. “I’m emotional. Don’t talk to me.”

“Okay, drama queen!” Hyein laughed. “I’m happy for you.”

Minji pulled her into her embrace. “Thank you, Hyeinie.”

“This deserves celebration!” Danielle said.

“We need to practice,” Haerin said.

“How about we have dinner after practice?” Minji asked. “Let’s grab something light for lunch, take a walk while the sun is up, and then practice.”

“Whatever leader Minji says!”

“Now, these are the vibes!” Hyein said after they played both songs a few times.

“Your singing is way better, Hanni,” Haerin said. “You’re more confident. I’m glad.”

“Right!” Danielle beamed. “Bro, we’re doing so good! Look at the difference!”

Hanni couldn’t contain an ear-to-ear grin, and shared a look with Minji. Indeed, the energy couldn’t even compare. Minji had a constant smile on her lips while playing, and she wasn’t aggressive anymore. Hanni sang with everything she had, and wasn’t afraid to point out some last minute details, the motivation was never this high, they laughed, played in amazing sync.

In this practice, though, Hyein didn’t sit in the corner the whole time. She had a camera with her, and would take pictures of them, but never interrupting. Except for when she squatted to take a picture from below, and a ripping sound managed to be louder than their music.

“!” Hyein quickly stood up, looking down.

“Hyein, language!” Minji halted the song, the others stopping as well. “What happened?”

“My pants!” Hyein whined and added something in Korean.

Haerin couldn’t muffle a laugh.

“They ripped?” Hanni asked.

“Yep.” Minji herself visibly held a giggle.

“I need new jeans now.” Hyein pouted. “I really liked this-“

“Wait.” Minji held a finger. “New jeans? New genes… NewJeans!” Her face lit up.

Everyone frowned, sharing confused looks.

“What are you babbling about?” Danielle asked.

“The name! For our band! NewJeans!”

There was a silence. Minji’s hopeful eyes faced everyone, waiting for an answer.

“It’s catchy,” Haerin said. “Short, easy to say. I like it.”

Hanni giggled. Minji was proud of herself for that one, no doubt. “I like it too.”

“Me too!” Danielle nodded. “Thanks, Hyein!”

Hyein blinked. “Me?”

“Just in time for the concert!” Minji let out one of her high pitched squeals, a gigantic gummy smile plastered on her face, one that made her nose scrunch. And that was the most adorable thing Hanni had ever seen in her entire life. “Thank you, Hyeinie! Oh man, I’m so excited! We finally got a name!”

Hanni had to physically contain herself not to scream right there and then. She balled her fists and bit on her tongue instead. Her cute aggression was getting out of hand, and they just started dating a few hours before.

The practice went on and the energy was even higher, if that was possible. Hanni had never felt that. Not in her many years of playing music with other people, for other people, she had felt that rush. Like her whole body was on fire, tingling and pulsating with each beat. Her voice sounded louder, natural, confident.

Was that what music was supposed to make you feel?

All her life, she guided herself by strictness and perfection. Almost as if she couldn’t have fun because she wasn’t allowed to, because people would judge if she didn’t work as hard at them. But with them, things flowed, they played as one, and it was still fun.

The most fun Hanni ever had with music.

“We’re so ready for tomorrow!” Minji threw her arms in the air, gripping the drumsticks.

“You guys are amazing!” Hyein said. “NewJeans rock!”

Hanni opened the door to her room and let her body fall to her bed with a loud grunt. “I’m exhausted.”

“Same.” Minji closed the door. “But I’m so… I’m so happy, Hanni.”

A weight pressed next to Hanni. She rolled to her side and found Minji sitting, eyes on her.

“You staying the night?” Hanni asked, her voice coming as a whisper.

Minji tucked Hanni’s hair behind her ear, letting her hand rest on her neck. “If you let me.”

Hanni sat up, her face close to Minji’s. She wanted to kiss her, but she took her time to admire her features first. Not that she hadn’t. But this time, she was looking at her girlfriend. She could stare all she wanted.

“You’re the most beautiful girl ever,” Hanni muttered.

“That’s you.”

“No, Minji, I’m serious. I’ve never seen anyone like you. I just… I can’t explain it. Everything about you, it’s just…” she sighed. “You’re perfect.”

Minji turned her face to the other side, her shy smile there. Hanni leaned to kiss her cheek, warm against her lips.

“You have the prettiest nose.” Hanni let her finger trace it. “And the prettiest eyes, and thick eyebrows. And jawline…” Her finger outlined her chin, until she pressed her index to Minji’s mouth. “And the prettiest lips. God, I wanna kiss you so bad.” The last sentence came as a rushed, almost desperate whisper.

Minji faced her again. “I’m waiting.”

Hanni didn’t let her wait even a second more. And again, for a completely different reason this time, Hanni had never felt something like that. Never someone had made her almost lose her mind.

But there was Kim Minji. Kissing her like no one had, making Hanni feel like her sanity slipped through her fingers. She wouldn’t bother to try and grasp it, though. Her hands were busy, anyway.

“I love you so, so much,” Minji mumbled, her voice even deeper as usual. “I don’t even know.”

“Same.” Hanni chuckled. “Same, Minji. I’m sorry it took us this long. If only I had accepted it before...”

“You didn’t do anything. And don’t feel bad. I understand what it feels like, Hanni. Accepting you like another girl.”

Hanni caressed her dark locks. “Was it hard for you?”

Minji shrugged. “Not that much, but I still doubted and questioned. Like, what is it exactly? What were those feelings?”

“Love? Admiration? Platonic friends?”

“Touché. But then I accepted that I liked my bandmate, because compared to what I felt towards any other of my friends, boys included, it didn’t even come close. I didn’t want to constantly hug them, or hold their hands, or kiss them. And no one else was on my mind. But it was like that with her. Just like it is with you.”

“That’s exactly how I felt. When… when did you know you liked me?”

Minji pondered first. “The crush was there since day one. I didn’t bother with it, I just allowed it to be there. But I also allowed myself to flirt. And I got the feeling you flirted back, so I just fell harder. I think the moment that made me go like, yep, I am in love with this girl, was at the concert. When you called for me and screamed that I was the best. I went backstage, had a mini meltdown, went back to you, you hugged me, and I just… you have no idea the mess I was.”

Hanni was at a loss for words. “Well… you were not the only one.”

“You were already confused back then?”

“I certainly knew you were different. Oh my god, wait, now that you mentioned the concert… you were definitely jealous of Chan!”

Minji rolled her eyes. “Hanni, for ’s sake, of course I was. I mean, he’s handsome, cool, talented, nice, and funny, and he was all over you. I’m sorry if I was annoying because of that, but… I couldn’t help it.”

“Silly.” Hanni booped her nose. “You don’t need to get jealous again, alright? It’s you that I love.”

Minji pouted. Yep, still unfair. “Okay. I won’t, I promise. But I will show you off! I want everyone to see that I’m the one dating Hanni Pham.”

“And I’m the one dating Kim Minji. Who won, now?”

“Uh, clearly me?”

“No? I did.”

Minji glared at her and attacked her sides, tickling her and sending her into a giggling fit.

“Not this again, I will hit you!” Hanni flailed around, letting her body fall until her back hit the mattress.

Minji followed, her body on top of her, the tickling subsiding. The laughter died down too, and they stared at each other. Déjà vu.

“I should have let you kiss me at the beach,” Hanni mumbled. “It would have been so easy.”

“Hanni, it doesn’t matter now. Things happen for a reason. We’re here now, aren’t we? Maybe if we had kissed at the beach, we wouldn’t be here now.”

“You’re right, sorry. I just hate that I hurt you.”

“You were also hurt, and I hate that too.”

Pecking Minji’s lips, Hanni pulled her to her chest, hugging her around her back. “I missed you so much.”

“Me too, Pham Pham. Almost a whole week without this? I wanted to d word.”

“Kim Minji!” Hanni smacked her back, but they laughed still.

Minji snuggled closer, her warm, calm breathing tickling Hanni’s neck. She closed her eyes and enjoyed every bit of it. The silence, the embrace, the warmth. The fact that she didn’t have to fight feelings or thoughts, because now she knew, and now had the courage to name it.

“Let’s change roommates,” Minji spoke after a bit. “For real, now.”

“Yes. Let’s talk with them before classes start.”

“Shall we sleep now? It’s a big day tomorrow.”

“I need to shower, but I’m so comfy…”

“Same… but the faster we go, the faster we’ll be back here. I’ll go first.”

Minji left Hanni’s arms and it became cold all of a sudden.

“Can you get me some clothes?” Minji halted.

“You didn’t even bring me the ones from the other time!”

“Oops. I’ll bring them when I move here.” Minji gave her a smug smile. “Now, can I have some clothes or do you just want me to walk in here ?”

Hanni wanted to answer, really. But a weird sound left instead. Minji giggled and Hanni gave up, going to her wardrobe and praying that her face wasn’t too red. But how wouldn't it, when Minji’s hoodie went completely missing when Hanni ce again?

“K-Kim Minji!” Hanni almost choked on her own, eyes trying not to stare too much.

“What? You’ve seen me at the beach. Oh, did you want to see me taking it out? I can put it on again so I can und-“

“No! W-Why did you even undress here?! Go take a shower!” Hanni shoved the improvised pajamas onto Minji’s arms and pushed her away, but Minji didn’t budge and grabbed her arm instead.

“I’ve caught you staring.” Minji’s voice dropped, her face serious. “Several times. At the beach, at the gym, during practice. You can stare.”

Hanni’s gulp echoed in the following silence.

She did so, though. Minji’s collarbones, her broad shoulders, the curve to her strong biceps. The black bra, toned stomach, belly button, sharp waist.

Minji was so out of this world, indescribably beautiful that Hanni wanted to cry.

“You’re so cute,” Minji mumbled, and taking a step closer, she engulfed Hanni in a bear hug, arms around her shoulders.

Hanni tensed up. Slowly, her hands reached for Minji’s waist first, feeling the curve. Then to her lower back, and closing her eyes, Hanni focused on how Minji’s burning skin felt against her palms as she moved them up to her shoulder blades.

“Just so you know, I stare at you too,” Minji whispered in her ear. “I think you know that, though. But I did stare a lot at the beach. And let me tell you, you’re so, so beautiful, Pham Pham.”

It had been hours since they started dating. Was this what it would be like? Hanni had no idea how she would handle it. How to handle Kim Minji. She might as well lose it, there and then.

Hanni pulled away and cleared , her face burning and eyes not meeting Minji’s.

“Hanni.” Minji held her hand. “Did I do something wrong?”

“No! No, of course not. I’m just… I don’t know how to answer, and it’s just a lot. I’m a bit overwhelmed.”

“In… a good way?”

“Oh, yeah.”

“Okay. But, you tell me if I do or say something that makes you uncomfortable, okay?” Minji squeezed her hand. “It’s… well, it’s the first time I’m doing this. Ever. I’m just going with the flow and not overthinking what I’m doing, but I don’t wanna make you uncomfortable at all.”

Hanni looked up, at the sincerity of Minji’s eyes. Reaching up, Hanni kissed her lips. “You’re so sweet, baby. Thank you. You didn’t make me uncomfortable, don’t worry. But I will say if anything happens. And I expect you to do so as well. I might have had a boyfriend in the past, but… it feels like this is the first time as well. I mean, it’s the first time I have a girlfriend, so I guess it is indeed a first for both.”

“Oh my.” Minji faked a gasp. “I am indeed Pham Pham’s first girlfriend. I’m flattered.”

Hanni giggled and patted her . “Silly. Now go, shower.”

Minji skipped to the bathroom, blowing a kiss before closing the door. Hanni stood for a good full minute, the shower running in the background. Then giggled, and squealed and punched the air. (she might as well punch a wall)

She was Kim Minji’s girlfriend.

Kim! Minji’s! Girlfriend!!!

Hanni jumped to her bed and grabbed her phone, quickly texting Yunjin.

[hanniphamz]
I love Minji so much
Holy ing

An answer came almost right away.

[jenaissante]
What
WHAT HAPPENED

Hanni’s giggles increased as she typed another message, her feet kicking, but an incoming call popped on her screen instead.

“Yunj-“

“Did you talk? Did you tell her?!”

Hanni let out a dragged, content sigh. “We did. I did.”

“Holy . Hanni, please tell me-“

“We’re dating.”

The shriek Yunjin let out next made Hanni recoil and pull the phone away. She could even hear Kazuha in the background whining that she got scared.

“They’re dating!” Yunjin said. “Hanni and Minji!”

“Really?!” Kazuha’s voice was so loud Hanni could hear her.

“Hanni, you’re on speaker! Tell us everything!”

“Well, Dani set us up at the practice room, I got the hint, told Minji everything I had to say, kissed her, and that’s it.”

“Kissed her? You kissed her?!”

Hanni widened her eyes. “Yeah. Oh my god, Yunjin, yes, I did.”

“That was easy,” Kazuha said. “See?”

“I’m so happy for you, Hanni!” Yunjin sounded like she was about to cry. “What now?”

“Now she’s showering and I’m just… accepting the fact that I’m dating Kim Minji.”

“Own it, girl. You deserve that. You were made for each other.”

“Like us?” Kazuha asked.

“Like us, babe.”

The bathroom door opened, and Hanni observed as Minji walked toward her, making a phone sign with her hand.

“It’s Yunjin, say hi.” Hanni put it on speaker. “She’s here.”

“Kim Minji!” Yunjin shouted again. “You better treat Hanni well! She deserves the best only!”

Minji halted and Hanni frowned. “Wow, you were so cheerful with me, why are you talking to her like you’re threatening her?”

Minji stole Hanni’s phone. “Hey, Yunjin. Don’t worry. I will take care of Hanni well, I’ll guarantee you that. You can rest assured.”

“Okay, good. I know you will, I was messing around. Okay, I’ll leave you be! Congrats, guys, for real. I can’t wait to see you tomorrow at the concert!”

Bidding goodbye, Hanni put her phone aside. Hanni rushed to her shower and went back in a blink of an eye. Minji laid against her pillows, Jerry against her chest, and her thumbs rapidly pressing on her phone.

“Playing Project Sekai?”

Minji hummed so she wouldn’t lose focus. Hanni giggled and waited for her to finish before lying next to her. Minji threw her phone and Jerry aside and Hanni reclaimed her space.

None said a thing. Hanni laid her head on her chest, listening to her heart. Steady, but strong. Like hers.

“Excited for tomorrow?” Minji asked.

“Yes. And nervous.”

“Me too. But we prepared well. Today’s practice especially paid off.”

Hanni nodded.

“Pham Pham?”

She looked up at Minji. “Hm?”

“I love you.”

Hanni smiled. “I love you too.”

Minji reached to kiss her lips. A peck, another, and a deeper one for good measure. “Good night.”

“Good night, baby.”

---

A/N - NEWJEANS WERE BORN 

CONCERT NEXT CHAPTER AND A VERY SPECIAL SCENE WHICH I PERSONALLY LOVE CUZ WELL YOU'LL SEE, THANK YOU FOR READING! SORRY I'M SO EXCITED THIS CHAPTER GETS ME KICKING MY FEET LIKE HANNI LMAO

Twitter - @itzloonatic
CuriousCat - curiouscat.me/itzloonatic