Of course I remember

Tugging at your Heartstrings

“Hanni, help!”

Hanni looked up from her laptop to face a distressed Danielle on the other side of the room, pacing back and forth. “What’s up?”

“Help me with a song, please.”

“Dani, it’s,” Hanni peeked at the corner of her screen. “Almost midnight, and tomorrow's Monday. Go to sleep.”

“You’re one to talk!”

“I’m trying to finish this goddamn assignment!”

Danielle huffed and pouted. “I can’t sleep if I have this song stuck in my mind.”

“Okay, I can’t blame you for that, I totally get it. Let’s do the following, then. Let’s go to sleep, and I’ll help you tomorrow after classes. Does that sound nice?”

“Yes! Oh, thank you, Hanni. I need your piano skills. I have a snippet in my head for the guitar but I want your help. You’re the master of instruments, I’m sure you’ll save my .”

Hanni waved a hand with a small smile. “I’m not, but I’ll do my best to help you.”

“Yes, you are! You are so skilled at literally everything you touch! Anyway, sorry for bringing you into this. I’ll treat you to dinner!”

“Deal.”

Danielle played the riffs she was talking about the night before and Hanni listened to it with full attention. What Danielle hadn’t mentioned was the sudden lyrics she started singing, and it was not like Hanni hadn’t listened to her singing before, but not like that. Not with a full warmed-up voice, in a practice room, as if she was performing for a crowd. And Danielle had such a nice, pretty voice. Like honey. So suited for a song about following dreams and having the courage to take a step forward.

“You wrote that?” Hanni asked when she finished.

“Yeah. Cheesy much?”

“No, not at all! It was beautiful. Damn, Dani. I don’t know how I’ll help you, honestly. I might as well ruin everything.”

“What, you would never! Can you come up with something on the keys that goes along with it? Just try something.”

Sighing, Hanni nodded. “I’ll try. What’s the feeling you’re going for?”

“Hm.” Danielle tapped her guitar. “Hope? Fear, but above everything, courage.”

Hanni looked down at the piano and hovered her fingers over the keys. “Play it again.”

The guitar filled the room, but Hanni froze. She knew exactly what she had to do, but hesitation held her back, turning her fingers to stone. The snippet came to an end, and she could feel Danielle’s eyes on her.

“Sorry, can you do it again from the start? I was getting the feeling and all.”

Danielle started again. Hanni closed her eyes and breathed in. Opening them, she hit the keys. Nothing extraordinary, nothing revolutionary. But for sure a harmony that evoked the feelings Danielle described, that went along with her guitar melody. This time, Danielle sang again, and Hanni couldn’t help but smile.

“Oh my god,” Danielle beamed after Hanni stopped playing. “That was amazing, Hanni! Wow. Write that down before you forget!”

Hanni chuckled and did so.

“It was beautiful,” Danielle went on. “Like, it legit sounded like a song.”

“Well, objectively, that was a song.”

“You get what I mean! Like an actual song, that I could listen to and enjoy. Oh, I’m so excited! Can we do it again?”

And time seemed to get lost when they focused on it. Hanni tried a few different versions, confusing Danielle because everyone sounded just as good.

Taking five, Hanni stretched her arms up and her torso from side to side. Her eyes landed on the drum set at the corner, and her mind showed images from last Friday. Playing the drums was cool. Kim Minji playing the drums was even cooler.

Hanni wanted to see her again.

During the weekend, she wondered if she should message Minji. They were classmates, after all. But that was all. They only saw each other in class, and sometimes crossed paths at the cafeteria. Maybe hanging out and exploring around would be nice. But in the end, Hanni decided not to. They barely knew each other. But then again, maybe that could have been a nice way to get to know each other better. And they said they would teach each other's drums and guitar.

Was that for real, though? Or just, you know, something one says to be nice?

Hanni grabbed her phone and opened the direct messages on Instagram. Searching for Minji, there wasn't a single message yet.

But that was about to change.

[hanniphamz]
Hey Minji, I was wondering if you wanted to practice the drums, I'm in the same room as last Friday, if you remember

Shouldn't take long until I leave, I can stay until you arrive so no one steals it 😎
(assuming you want to come lmao)

Why was Hanni nervous? Why was she even assuming Minji wanted to practice or wanted her help?

Hanni was about to throw her phone to the side when the notification popped.

[thekimminji]
Man,
did you read my mind?
Of course I remember
I'm omw
And thank you, Hanni 🥺

Hanni giggled and liked the last message before putting the phone away.

“Minji’s coming soon, let's go over it a few more times until she arrives?” Hanni asked.

“She's coming? Do you think it would be okay to ask her to do the drums part?” Danielle's eyes filled with hope.

“I think she wants to practice on her own, but you can ask. She's really good. Like…” Once again, those images flooded her mind. Minji’s focused expression, her arms flexing as she hit the drums, the thundering on her chest. Hanni cleared . “She's an amazing drummer.”

“But I don't know her that well... we only talked in class.” Danielle pouted. “Are you two friends?”

“Depends on your definition of friends, I guess.”

“Are we friends?”

Hanni laughed. “You're so cute, Dani. Yes, of course we're friends, but we talk a lot and hang out and all. I also only spoke to Minji in class and last Friday. Exactly here, in this room.”

“Okay, then let's befriend Minji so I can ask her to play the drums for my song!”

“Wow, Danielle Marsh, do you befriend people to get what you want?”

Danielle's face dropped.

“Wait, I was joking.” Hanni’s heart sunk as well. “It was a joke, really! I'm sorry. I know you don't, you're super friendly with everyone, and outgoing and sweet.”

The silence ate Hanni up.

“You sure?” Danielle's gaze was intense.

“Of course. It was a stupid joke, I’m really sorry, Dani.”

Danielle’s eyes dropped. “I really… don’t wanna pass the impression that I want to befriend people for my own good.”

“But you don’t! You greeted me so enthusiastically right when I arrived, and I've been having so much fun since I got here because of you. You already know, like, everyone, and if it wasn’t for you introducing me to Lily and the others, I wouldn’t have any new friends here. Not even Minji.”

“Oh, c’mon Hanni, you’re not that shy!”

“Okay, it’s not like I’m super shy, but it’s just so easy with you around. I take time to warm up to people, but with you, it took me, what, three seconds?” Hanni chuckled. “All of this to say - you're a sweetheart, Dani. And I'm glad you're my roommate.”

Danielle's eyes seemed to sparkle, and for a second Hanni thought she would cry.

“Thanks, bro.” Danielle held a fist for Hanni to bump. “I'm glad too. We click so well.”

“For real. And, if you need to talk about something or… rant or whatever, you can talk to me, okay?”

“I know. Thank you, Hanni. You’re also the sweetest.” Danielle rubbed her arm. “So, let's play? Before Minji arrives.”

They went through the song twice more until there was a knock on the door. Hanni yelled a yes and the door opened. Minji, ever so pretty with a baggy t-shirt and ripped jeans, holding that same tumbler from the first day, let herself in.

“Hey, guys.” Minji smiled at them. “Good thing you're here, Dani.”

Danielle perked up, eyebrows high in her face. “Me? Why?”

Minji looked outside the door and signaled with her hand, mouthing a ‘Come on!’. After a few seconds, a girl stepped in, standing next to Minji.

“Because you wanted to meet my roommate, and here she is. This is Kang Haerin.”

Haerin frowned at her, but faster faced ahead at them. “Hello.” She bowed her head and made a total of one second of eye contact with Hanni and Danielle.

“That's Hanni Pham and Danielle Marsh. You can speak in Korean with her. I mean, if Hanni wasn't here, we could talk in Korean, but guess we can't now.”

“Want me to start talking in Vietnamese and see if you get anything?”

“No one would get anything, who would you talk to?” Minji shrugged, taking a sip of her coffee.

Danielle and Haerin snorted a laugh at the same time, then met eyes, but Haerin looked elsewhere.

“I'm sorry, Hanni, but that was funny.” Danielle giggled and stood up, reaching for Haerin’s hand. “It's so nice to meet you, Haerin!”

“Likewise, Danielle.” Haerin let Danielle shake her hand and gave her a small, polite smile.

“You can call me Dani.” She turned to Minji. “You didn’t mention your roommate was such a cutie.”

“She is, isn’t she?” Minji patted Haerin’s head. “A cute cat.”

“I’m not a cat.” Haerin stared hard at Minji. “And you’re cute too. And pretty.”

Minji shook her head and glared at her. “She’s always like this. Take a compliment, Kang Haerin!”

“You’re like this too! Take it as well, Kim Minji!”

“But Minji’s right, though!” Danielle said. “You totally have cat eyes! They’re so pretty. I mean, you are really pretty. And Minji too! But anyway!” Danielle cleared and took a step back. “What major are you in, Haerin?”

“Band and Jazz.”

“Oh, same as Minji,” Hanni said. “What do you play?”

“The bass.”

Danielle gasped. Hanni met her eyes and she bet they were thinking the same - Haerin could play the bass for her song.

“That's so cool, we all play different instruments,” Hanni said.

“You play everything, that doesn't count.” Minji squinted her eyes at her.

Hanni’s chest pressed.

Of course.

Deep down, Hanni knew. Even there, with people she just met, she couldn't get rid of that type of comment.

“We were just finishing. You guys can go ahead and practice!” Danielle put away her electric guitar in her case.

In silence Hanni packed her things as well, the lingering pain in her chest still there. She was sure Minji didn't say that with malice, but it still hurt.

“Oh, by the way, guys!” Danielle said. “There's gonna be a party next Friday. Bang Chan is organizing it, he'll explain the details later. Are you in? It's exclusive to music students! We should all go, it's gonna be so much fun!”

Minji faced Haerin, giving her a smile and a nod.

“Sure,” Haerin said, connecting her bass to the amp.

“We'll be there.” Minji gave her a thumbs up.

Danielle looked at Hanni, that hopeful smile on.

“Why not. Yunjin is going for sure.”

Danielle jumped and squealed in glee.

---

A/N - Haerin is here!!! Hope everyone is enjoying so far, and expect some fluff already for the next chapter heheHEHEHE

Twitter - @itzloonatic
CuriousCat - curiouscat.me/itzloonatic