Chapter 8 - Welcome to Hell (Final)

Troublemakers

After the brief introduction to the different departments of hell, Jessica felt her arms being pulled as she was dragged along the stony path to visit what Hyoyeon called the collectors department. As they got nearer towards their destination, Jessica felt the hand on her arm getting colder with every step they took. A dark cloud hung permanantly over the area that was supposedly the place where the collectors gathered and Jessica could feel the blood in her run cold at the amount of shrieks and screams that was emitting from behind those doors.

An enormous 3 headed dog stone figure greeted their sights as they finally arrived in front of the collectors department. Groups of men and women similarly dressed in suits and shades could be found smoking or simply hanging out around the figure. Stopping abruptly, Hyoyeon hastily pulled Jessica behind a low wall and peered around to ensure that no one had noticed their arrivals. "Usually I am not suppose to bring you guys here but since you requested for the deluxe package, I have no choice but to show you this.... unique department we have."

Raising her voice slightly so as to be heard above the shrieks and screams that were coming out from behind them, Jessica glared at Hyoyeon "Unique?? You mean the scariest department you have right? Cause the people inside looks pretty shady to me." Pointing at one of the smoking chinese man nearest to them, Jessica shook Hyoyeon vigorously with all her might " Look at the tattoo on this guy, he has a dragon on one arm and a tiger on the other. Its pretty obvious he isn't your normal type of guy that sits in the office and does data entry."

Signaling to Jessica to lower her volume, Hyoyeon sighed as she explained the details of the collectors department. "Well, you know those people that dies in gang fights, shoot outs, mafia wars and other similar events? They are all delegated to this department where they assist in collecting back the money for the souls that were reaped. The three headed dog statue you saw just now is their mascot Cerberus, the famous hell hound that guards the gates to hell."

"Cerberus? You mean its actually real?" Lowering her body, Hyoyeon took Jessica's hand in hers and dragged her along the walls towards the back of the building. "Of course its real. We are going to see it now." Rounding the corner, a giant dog house loomed into view causing Jessica to straighten herself up and wowed at its size.

An iron wrought gate seperated them from the dog house and Hyoyeon gently pushed it open with her free hand. " You are lucky that the person who takes care of the dogs is a good friend of mine, or we wouldn't be able to meet Cerberus at all." Stepping into the compound, Jessica looked up at the colossal doghouse in front of her and suddenly wished she had a camera on hand. "So where's your friend and more importantly, where's Cerberus?"

Peering around, Hyoyeon scanned the room beside the doghouse and found no one around. Checking her watch, she made some simple calculations and facepalmed herself  "I forgot today's the 15th on the lunar calender, she must have gone to eat the food that those chinese offer during their prayers." Before her sentence could end, Whistling sounds could be heard accompanied with loud yaps and they winced at the noise that seemed to echoed all round.

Covering their ears to block out the noisy yaps of the dogs, Jessica and Hyoyeon looked up and saw a long pair of legs in front of them The face of the leg's owner was blocked by an even longer line of plates and she shooed them gently with her foot before walking into the room. Turning back to face the doghouse, Jessica was shocked to see three dark shadows rush towards her. Closing her eyes, she uttered a prayer and awaited for her imminent death to come.

Wet tongues at her face, snapping her back to reality as she slowly opened up her eyes. Pushing away the three dogs that surrounded her, Jessica wiped the drool off her face and looked at the three chihuahuas that sat obediently by her side. On the other side, Hyoyeon was rolling around on the floor clutching at her stomach and laughing really hard. "Chihuahuas? What happened to that supposedly massive three headed hellhound that devours all living humans alive or dead?" Taking a while to recover, Hyoyeon slowly caught her breath and eventually managed to sit down on the grass beside Jessica. "Well.... The previous Cerberus was a massive three headed hellhound until the day when the accident happened."

"Accident? What kind of accident could possibly happen to cause it to become a Chihuahua."

"Well... you know that Cerberus is the guardian to the collectors department right? And you do know that sometimes we are a "little" understaffed. So.. there was this one day Cerberus had to go to China to help collect back this bad debt and we kinda forgot the fact that dog meat was a delicacy in China. And so..."

"You mean Cerberus got eaten?"

"Erm... lets just say it sacrificed itself for the better good."

Eying the little bundles of fur that by now had gathered around sniffing at her shoes, Jessica cocked a glance at Hyoyeon and pointed to them. "So whats up with these then?"

Coughing into her fist Hyoyeon blushed a little and stammered "Well they happened to be the only ones on sale then and there's three of them so it still kinds of fit the three headed legend. And,,,isn't it such a coincidence that one of them is black? Black is such a hellish colour."

Sighing her indignation at being posted to such a lousy place, Jessica drooped her head and bent down to scruffle the ears of the one that had seemed to taken a liking to her shoes.

The door of the room creaked and a shrill whistle pierced through the compound. The puppies that were previously gathered around Jessica fleed from her hands and dashed towards the middle of the compound. Within seconds, they were neatly lined up and sitting up as straight as they possibly could. The door opened up with a final creak revealing a tall girl that stood in the archway, rubbing at her tummy with a satisfied look on her face. 

Nodding her head at Hyoyeon and Jessica, she walked over with the dogs in tow and extended out a hand towards Jessica "Hi, I am Sooyoung and welcome to hell..The worst place you can ever go to." Holding a drumstick in one hand, she tossed a few crumbs to the source of yappings behind her and told them to stay while she accompanied them onto their next destination, the reapers department.

Arriving at the reapers department. Jessica looked back at the trail of food packaging Sooyoung had left behind and wondered how she managed to remain that size. Nudging Hyoyeon, she whispered underneath her breath "Does she ever stop eating?" A chortle escaped from between Hyoyeon's lips as she briefly explained what Sooyoung was to Jessica. "She's a hungry ghost so she will never have the feeling of satiation. Thankfully, we get an endless supply of food from those that prays and offers sacrifices, Although sometimes we do get the occasional human and other times the weird items like paper money. we are considered well provided for in terms of food supply. Nodding her head, Sooyoung smiled as she towered over them listening in on their conversation "Yup, so if you become a reaper, please make sure your human offers me loads of food. Just tell her to mention my name and then place the food outside the door and I can swing by for it at night. By the way, I personally like Korean food a lot. So try to make sure there's loads of Korean food okay?"

Nodding her head slowly, Jessica turned away from Sooyoung's earnest glare and concentrated her sight into the room in front of her. The office was empty except for a lone figure and Jessica found herself instantly captivated by the beauty that radiated out from within her. Nudging Hyoyeon with her elbow again. she kept up her incessant stares and whispered as softly as she could "Who's that over there?"

Pushing Jessica into the room, Sooyoung and Hyoyeon slammed the door behind her and shouted before the door could close fully "Thats your future supervisor, enjoy your last moments in hell with her." Half stumbling half tumbling, Jessica managed to stop herself in mid motion before she could crash into the figure that by now had caught wind of her entrance and turned to look in her direction. With a blank expression on her face, she spoke "You are here to join the reapers department?"

Managing an awkward smile, Jessica extended out a hand and stood at attention by the side of the table "Jessica Jung here to report for duty as a reaper."

Leaving Jessica to stand there like an idiot, the figure turned back to her computer and muttered under her breath "Why do I get all the dumb ones." Typing on the keyboard, she located Jessica's name and clicked on the details tab below. Turning back to face Jessica whom by now had withdrawn her extended hand, she handed over a printout to her before speaking "My name is Yuri, Kwon Yuri and I will be your direct superior from now on." Grabbing a book from the shelf behind her, she tossed it over to Jessica and told her to understand and memorize. Looking down the title on the cover, Jessica smiled to herself. Sarcasm for dummies, the bible all reapers go by. After understanding the job a reaper has to do, Jessica looked down at the printout on her hand before boarding the elevator with Yuri. It was now time to meet the human she was assigned to. A human that goes by the name Kim Taeyeon.