Intruder alert

Troublemakers

Opening the door to the little studio apartment she had rented, Taeyeon slumped down onto the couch, completely dead to the world. Lugging the heavy files throughout the entire 45 minutes subway ride had almost consumed all the energy in her and returning back to face the four bare walls hadn't help much. Looking at the dirty clothes strewn everywhere and at the dishes piling in the sink Taeyeon knew this wasn't the time to rest. Unfortunately, knowing and doing is two completely different matters and soon Taeyeon found herself dozing off slowly, lulled by the silence of the night.

A shooting star blazed across the dark night sky, unnoticed by many of the people out on the streets. The light it brought soon faded and eventually the streets were shrouded in the darkness of the night once again. In the direction where the light trail had ended, a figure gradually appeared, hidden in the shadows of the corridor. White feathers fluttered gently to the ground as she stood up, folding in the two large white wings that was protruding out from behind her back. Tiptoeing along the corridor, Tiffany referred to her mobile device and confirmed that she was indeed at the right location. Finding Taeyeon’s residence with ease, she turned the door knob gently expecting it to open at the slightest touch, but thing didn’t seem to go her way. The door remained tightly locked no matter how she tried

Cursing her luck, she walked around the perimeters of the apartment, hoping to find an open window. Muttering under her breath she gritted her teeth and shivered as she trudged along in the cold night wind. “Aren’t I supposed to be an angel? To think I cannot even open a locked door. The powers we get these day.” Sighing, she forced herself to circle the area in the fastest time possible, trying to escape from the cold winter air. Lucky for her, Tiffany managed to find an open window the next minute, allowing her to slip into the room. Hoping to make a grand entrance, she jumped the little distance between the window’s still and the ground and ended up slipping on one of Taeyeon’s messily strewn clothes. Crashing hard onto the ground, she grimaced and rubbed at a bruise on her knee “The best defense against potential robbers, messily strewn clothes and randomly thrown about toys.”

Despite the pain, Tiffany was still pretty excited about who her human would be and how she would look like. Forcing herself to stand up, she limped across the tiny store room she was in and out into the living room. The sight that greeted her was like a scene fresh out of a horror movie. Clothes were strewn everywhere and flies gathered around the sky high stack of dirty dishes piling in the sink. Half eaten food could be found lying around here and there and the place looks and smells exactly like how a pig sty would be.

Walking over to the sofa, Tiffany found her human half buried under a massive pile of files and clothing. The first thing that caught her attention was the deep frown on her human’s face. Pulling away a half opened file, she finally managed to see the full facial details of her assigned human. Gently at the frown on her human’s face with her fingertips, Tiffany spoke softly under her breath “You must be Taeyeon. Hi, I am your new guardian angel and my name is Tiffany. Your face tells me that you must be really stressed out at the moment. But, don’t worry. Everything will be alright from this minute onwards, because you have me looking out for you now.” The words she spoke seemed to actually have an effect on Taeyeon and the frown visibly diminished with every from Tiffany’s fingers.

Ensuring that Taeyeon was fast asleep, Tiffany folded up her sleeve and got to work cleaning the house. Picking up all the clothings on the floor, she cautiously sniffed at each one to determine if it belonged to the dirty or to the super dirty pile. One of the coats caught her eye and she broke out into a smile upon seeing it. Taking a precautious sniff to determine that it was still clean and wearable, Tiffany happily donned it over the thin pastoral gown she had on since her trip from heaven. After putting it on, she realized that it felt really constricted, especially at her wings area. Unable to take it any longer, she grabbed a pair of scissors from the table and took the jacket off. Turning it over, she looked at the label and spelled the words out to herself. “D.K.N.Y” Not knowing that this was a very expensive brand, Tiffany carefully outlined two wing shaped pattern on the back of the jacket and started cutting along the lines.

Putting the jacket on again, Tiffany flexed her wings out through the holes she had just made and felt much more at ease. Throwing everything pile by pile into the washing machine, she was glad to see the wooden flooring slowly appear. While the clothes were spinning around in the washing machine, Tiffany donned on rubber gloves and started doing the dishes. Chasing away the pesky flies, she scrubbed and polished as best as she could, making sure that every plate and bowl was sparkling clean before placing them neatly in the respective places.

A crash of lightning appeared just as she was drying out the last pile of laundry and the lights in the neighborhood flickered and dimmed for a moment before returning back to normal. Wondering what had just happened; Tiffany lowered the pile of clothes in her arms and went to make sure that Taeyeon was alright. By doing so, she failed to see a figure slowly creep in through the open window she had previously entered from.

===================================================================================================================

Holding on tightly to the antique Nokia phone she had received from Yuri on the way out, Jessica scratched at the itch on her back a little before heading out the dark alleyway they had landed in. Black feathers twirled and fluttered to the ground as she scratched and she flexed her muscles a little, stretching her wings out and ruffling the loose feathers. Pleased that she didn’t have to grow horns and hold on to a pitchfork; Jessica glared at the phone in her hand and sighed. She could still remember what Yuri had said before handing over the phone “Just be glad yours has a camera and colour. We have reapers out there with phones that require them to screw in the antenna each time they want to make a call. So learn to appreciate what you have.”

Shaking her head, she stuffed the phone into the thin robe they were given in hell and stepped out from the dark alleyway. Remembering at the very last minute to tuck in her wings, she crossed the streets and found her way to the apartment Taeyeon was living in.

Tired from the long trip up from hell, Jessica didn’t bother entering through the door. Spotting an open window; she scooted up and dropped down into the tiny store room Tiffany had landed in previously. Yawning silently, she stretched our the criks in her body and padded softly across the hallway in her barefoot. Her spirits were lifted considerably when she spotted the large queen size bed in Taeyeon’s room. Unable to resist its beckoning she plopped herself down onto the bed and scooted underneath the comforter. Sniffing at the unfamiliar scent of Taeyeon’s smell on the pillow, Jessica smiled and slowly closed her eyes.

==================================================================================

Tying up the last bag of rubbish, Tiffany unlocked the door and dragged all the rubbish bags out with her. Entering back into the apartment, she was pleased to see that it was starting to look more like a home. Wiping the sweat off her brows, she looked at the sleeping figure on the couch and decided to do one more good deed. Not wanting to scare her half dead, Tiffany took her mobile device out and located the sleeping spell app. Activating it, she ensured that Taeyeon was fast asleep before dragging her up from the couch and lugging her all the way into the bedroom.  A bump on the bed indicated that there was someone else already fast asleep. Thinking it to be Taeyeon’s roommate, Tiffany failed to notice the singular black feather resting on the pillow. Setting Taeyeon down, Tiffany gently tucked her under the comforter before proceeding to lie down beside her. Listening in to the gentle snoring sound up beside her, Tiffany closed her eyes and eventually fell into a deep slumber.