Chapter 2 - Memories

Troublemakers

Jessica opened her eyes and saw the black road in the distance above her. Moving her head slowly from left to right, she realised that night has fallen and everything was coated in a shade of black and white. Staring blankly ahead at the crowd gathered around her car, she spotted their mouths moving, but the only thing she could hear was the eerie silence that had descended upon her. A spot of vibrant colour amongst the monochrome surroundings caught her eye and Jessica felt herself slowly being drawn towards it. Forcing herself to get up from the comfort zone, Jessica felt her kneecaps waver a little as she took the first precarious step towards the spot of colour that stood out amongst the black and white scenary around her. 

Feeling the a sense of peacefulness slowly filling her up with every step she took, Jessica felt a little more affirmed of her decision to approach the beckoning spot of light, which by now had enlarged considerably, revealing the entrance of a passageway.  Smooth whitewashed walls lined alongs the sides and vibrants colours reflected off the surface, creating a beautiful and enticing scenary. Jessica took her first unsteady step into the passageway and was swallowed up by the colours which swivelled around her, forming shapes and images that revealed the darkest secrets buried deep within her. 

 

Jessica felt a mixture of emotions stir up within her as every step revealed a scene from her past. The first step displayed an image of her joyful parents, celebrating the birth of their firstborn and subsequent steps showed images and memories from her childhood and teenage life. Some of these images stirred up a sense of happiness and merriment within her as they reminded her of the joyful moments she experienced as a kid, while others just made her feel like stopping in her tracks and scream out loud as anguish and grief overtook the sense of happiness and wellbeing she felt. 

Moving forward, the scenary before her eyes changed and was now revealing clips from her college life. Jessica chuckled silently at her embarrasing first meeting with Tiffany and her mind drifted back to that day. It was her first day in campus and she was late for her very first marketing strategy lecture. Slipping sliently into the lecture hall, she fumbled for a seat in the dark as the lecturer in front displayed introductory slides on the projector.

Half an hour into the lecture, Jessica realised that something was amiss and she turned to the girl beside her and whispered

"I am sorry to disturb you but is this the marketing strategy lecture hall?"

The girl glanced up from her notepad and tried hard to stiffle in the giggles that were threatening to burst out from within her

"You got the strategy part correct, this is the sociology strategies lecture."

Jessica facepalmed her stupidity and pretended to knock her head on the writing top of the lecture hall's chair in mock grief.

A muffled chortle escaped from the girl beside her and her face rapidly turned red as everyone snapped up and directed their attention on them. The lecturer looked up from his laptop and narrowed his eyes as he glanced at Tiffany first then Jessica.

"If you ladies prefer to monkey around during my lecture, please do so outside and only return when you are done."

Immediately clamming up, the girl beside her smiled as she rapidly scribbled something on her notebook

"Hi, I am Tiffany, it was nice meeting you."

===================================================================================================================

The colour shifted and the scene dissipated before her very eyes. Jessica stretched out a hand trying to grab hold of what remains but the colours just slipped through the seams between her fingers and faded into nothingness.The next few scenes depicted how Jessica deliberately repeated her mistake of entering the wrong lecture hall, the first time their hands met and the first kiss they shared. With a smile firmly plastered on her face, Jessica took her next step down the never ending passageway. Darkness replaced the vibrant colours that had greeted Jessica in the beginning and the next few scenes were cuts from the numerous quarrels and fights that happened between them. Infidelity ensued shortly after these happenings and the last clip revealed how Jessica came home one day to find Tiffany in bed with one of her juniors in band.

A drop of tear silently rolled down Jessica's cheek and she reached out with a hand to wipe it away. She didn't need the colours to tell her what had happened next because she now knew where she was and how she got there. Taking another step ahead, she realised that she had reached the end of the passageway and a mechinical voice annouced that formatting was completed. Smiling to herself, Jessica left the passageway far behind her, void of all the memories that she had created while living the life of Jessica Jung.