False Alarm

Ready Or Not?

Key: All of us are on stage, bowing or waving to the crowd, all of us smiling. Wonder Girls leads the way off, and me and the rest of the SHINee members follow.
Hye Rim: I smile and look at the audience. I’m so distracted by smiling and excitement that I don’t see a cord in front of me on the floor and stumble over it...
Key: I see Rim stumble, and then something catches my eye, “Hye Rim!” I grab her arm and pull her back closer to me as one of the LCD screens falls over, hitting the floor with a loud boom, and silencing the room. Suddenly the fans are all looking our way and the staff members come out along with the security to keep the hundreds of fans at bay as they scream and move forward. T.O.P suddenly appears by Hye Rim, and I hear him asking her if she’s alright, taking her hand and shaking his head, telling her to be careful. I step back into the crowd of staff and idols, finding Kwon and pulling him backstage. “I’m going to Daegu, Kwon, its a family emergency, do some damage control for me? Be sure to tell Onew as well, I owe you.”
Kwon: “Of course, Kibum. I’ll tell them. Are you going to be alright?"
Key: “Fine,” I’m already by the door, “Oh, and make sure...never mind. Thank you.” I leave through the back door, and  run to the dorm. I enter, grabbing a back pack, and stuffing it with a few shirts, a sweat jacket, and leaving for the bullet train. I pull out my phone, checking the time. A two hour trip to Daegu. In one hour things would settle down. She’s probably wondering where I went. I look out at the dark sky and neon lights. I’ll send her a text once things calm down.
Kwon: I run to find Onew. “Onew-ah, Kibum had to leave because of a family emergency. he had no time and told me to tell you.”
Onew: He left again? Even if it’s a family emergency...”Did he clear it with our manager? He’ll be in trouble if he didn’t. He knows he can’t just leave like this. Especially after he was gone a whole night!” I sigh, “Thank you Kwon,” I walk to Hye Rim as T.O.P leaves her, “Are you alright, dongsaeng?”
Hye Rim: “Neh, thanks to Kibum oppa. I need to thank him~ Did you see where he went, sunbae?”
Onew: “I’m afraid he left for Daegu, he told Kwon that a family emergency came up...I assume he’ll be gone a day or two.”
Hye Rim: I can feel my face fall. “...Oh. I guess I’ll have to tell him later, then.” I could call but I’m worried I’d inconvenience him, and the last time he had a bad day he acted really weirdly. This could be even worse, so I don’t want to upset him.
Key: I stare at my phone, no text, no call. Perhaps she was afraid to due to my texts that one day...I sigh, open my phone and send a text, “You’re welcome dongsaeng, no need for a thank you...” I look back outside before sending it...should I just say it here...or would she only think I’m acting strange again? I’d have to explain myself when I get back if I do...It’s worth it. “I love you.” I add to the end, “Be back in two days.”
Hye Rim: I’m getting my things together backstage, after helping the crew clean up. My phone vibrates and I pick it up. A text from Key oppa. “You’re welcome dongsaeng, no need for a thank you. I love you. Be back in two days.” WHAT. WHAT. WHAT. I drop the phone in disbelief.
Jo Kwon: I see Hye Rim drop her phone. I’m glad I finally found her. She looks a little out of sorts, so I pick it up for her. I see a message from Kibum which contains the very words I knew he would have to say someday to her: “I love you”. Heh. He is SO easy to read. “I knew it!!!!! Uh, here, Hye Rim.” I turn to leave.
Hye Rim: Kwon hands me the phone and goes to leave. “Knew what, oppa?”
Jo Kwon: I smile to myself. “Oh, nothing~~”
Key: I feel like I’m leaving longer than just a few days..like I’m leaving for a few years, or leaving for the military. I stare at the silent phone. Would she reply now? Did she find it random? Think me crazy? Would she Ignore it...I lean against a pole, the thought as sharp as a knife. I hold my backpack on one shoulder, leaning quite stylishly against a pole, as if I was posing for a photo shoot. As I continue to look outside, I feel a sort of dread fill me. I shouldn’t have sent it. Oh my god I’m so stupid. I know nothing of how she feels about me. Babo. I should have thought it through.What do I say when I come back...when she asks...I let out a small moan, I rush into things too much. “Babo,” I mutter to myself.
Hye Rim: My whole world is spinning.....I never thought of him that way before....Did I? I don't really know. I mean, of course he is handsome, because he IS a famous singer, but, am I attracted to him? Do I have feelings for him? I’m at a loss for words...
And even if I do have feelings for him, I’ve never dated anyone before. I’d make a fool out of myself! I’m sure Kibum oppa has dated plenty of girls before. I would look so stupid and inexperienced. Wait...If I’m worrying about this, then......I guess I DO return his feelings.
*gulps* I owe it to him to tell him, then. But...How do I tell him? Should I just text him back? Should I call? Should I wait till he gets back from his family emergency? yes, that’s probably best. It’ll feel like torture but I don’t want to distract him while he’s gone. So I’ll wait. As I finish sorting out my feelings, Yubin unnie comes in. “Hye Rim-ah, it’s time to-  I’ve never seen that look on your face before...Are you okay?” “I....I think so. This is all so new to me...” “What is?” she inquires, “Love?” “Unnie, how did you know?” “Oh please, We have all been waiting for you and Kibum to get together, and if the way he saved you from that light fixture isn’t proof, then I don’t know what is!” “So, everybody knew?” “Neh,” she nods. “Ye Eun suspected it from the very first day when you ran into Kibum.” Ye Eun always knows these things. I should have guessed. My unnie is very smart~ I follow Yubin out to the van and wait to see other girls’ reactions when they hear my story.

Key: I put the phone in my pocket as the train comes to a stop, still no reply. I sigh, and adjusting the backpack on my shoulder, walk out the doors as they open, landing on the platform. I look around at the station, a small smile creeps onto my face, it looks the same as ever, welcoming me home. I take a taxi from the station to my home. I practically run up the pathway to the front door, and ring the bell, feeling a little ridiculous to do so at my own home. The door opens and I  face my cousin "Taeyul?" What was he doing here? Was Omoni really so sick that the rest of the family came over? I enter and head straight for her room. "Hyung you can't go in there," Taeyul stops me. "Wae, and where is Abeoji?" he takes my arm and drags me towards the  kitchen. Looking at him, I realize he looks like a mini Taeyang. "Taeyul..." the lights snap on as we enter the kitchen and there stands half my family with a cake on the table. "Omoni are you alright?" my tone is clearly one of concern and i feel my forehead crease as i take in the scene and recall Appa's distressed tone on the phone.
"Happy birthday, Kibum." Appa speaks walking over with Omoni. Birthday...what was the date? "You didn't forget did you? You're 22." Taeyul smiles. "You called me over...I mean.." I turn to face appa, "You lied to me..I thought she really was sick.." I didn’t even tell the manager properly...I could've spoken to Hye Rim...I'll call her after this. "Thank you Abeoji, Omoni," I blow out the candles, strange..didn't any of my band members know?  Onew never forgets..and if he did at least Jonghyun...I smile at my family and manage to excuse myself after a bite of cake. I enter my room, still unchanged from my high school days, and call Hye Rim. Please pick up...it goes to voicemail and I hang up for a second then redial. I want to hear her voice.