Next Day

Ready Or Not?

Key: I open my eyes to see a clear sky, and realize I feel stiff all over. I sit up, but move too fast and stop to keep my head from spinning. I look up and duck just in time to have a soccer ball fly over my head. “Yah!” I shout as a girl calls back, “Mianhae!” I pull out my phone to check the time, and finding it off, turn it on. Where was I...I look around, oh yeah, I fell asleep at the park. Instantly I get four voicemail messages and a billion texts from the others, all either asking where I was, or shouting at me to come home. Another text from Onew, ‘If you get this...Concert with 2NE1 and WG at the Green Towers rescheduled for 12 pm today. Be there.’ I glance at the time, 12:30 and let out a sigh, getting up and sprinting off. They weren't too far from here, I’d make it ten minutes run.
Hye Rim: JYP saw how well we were getting along with SHINee, so he got us scheduled to perform with them, as well as 2NE1 since he’s friends with Yang Hyun-suk. Maybe I can finally figure out what Kibum oppa’s problem is today...
Key: Panting, I finally make it, running to the backstage. I was late. Obviously. But by an hour, it was unacceptable. I was glad I had a pack of mint gum on me, I’d used it all to get my breath better, having no time to run home, in the opposite direction. “Kibum!” Onew shouts as he sees me, he looks relieved yet his voice is clear anger. “I-I’m sorry, hyung.” but that doesn’t keep him from scolding me, “All night, you’re gone. Phone was off, no message, no note. Where were you?” I glance back at Minho, glad he didn’t say anything. “I’m here now, don’t worry.” This angers him further, “Don’t worry?!” Half the other idols turn to look at us, “What if something would’ve happened to you?! What would we do? How would we even know where you were. Are you out of your mind that you tell me not to-” “Let him go, hyung.” Jonghyun speaks, pulling him back a bit. I stare at my feet, “Mianhae, hyung...I won’t do it again...” They move away, Onew still mumbling, and I look up to see Hye Rim across the room, watching me, I look away instantly, moving to take a  seat away from everyone.
Hye Rim: Onew doesn’t look happy...Wait. He’s asking where Kibum was....WHERE WAS HE?!
Key: A shadow falls over me, and I glance over to see it’s Hye Rim, “Oh, annyeong, Hye Rim dongsaeng, so you are performing here as well?” I stretch my sore arms, holding back a wince because they were stiff and it hurt.
Hye Rim: “Yes, didn’t you know that oppa? And what was with all those cryptic messages last night?”
Key: “Oh, no, I didn’t know...I wasn’t with the others so I was misinformed...my apologies. What cryptic messages?” I look through my phone, “Oh...umm...I was tired, when I get tired I tend not to think..my apologies if they make no sense.”
Hye Rim: I don’t believe that for a second, but here and now is not the time nor the place to inquire... “Ah, geurae, oppa.”
Key: I feel bad for lying, “Dongsaeng...please don’t ask where I was...It was somewhere I shouldn’t have been, and I’m sorry for troubling everyone, excuse me...” I stand moving to the door, just to open it and let some fresh air in to the building, but as soon as I reach for the handle, my manager sees and storms over swiftly, “Kibum! Where are you going now? Step away, come along. You’re not permitted to move freely alone after last night. Move away,” he takes my wrist and half drags me over to where the others are rehearsing Ready or Not. I join in, glad for an excuse to get away.
Hye Rim: I blink as Ye Eun unnie tugs at my arm. “Come on, Hye Rim-ah, let’s go practice~” I leave, trying to figure out how to ask Kibum oppa about it later. “5, 6, 7, 8~” Sun Ye counts off for us to begin the G.N.O. choreography.
Key: Minho and Taemin keep glancing my way as we rehearse, and it takes me a moment to realize I messed up. “Again,” Onew speaks tersely, and I try again, moving to line up in formation. I don’t mess up this time. Relieved to be done, I let out a breath. “Vocal practice,” Onew orders and they begin to sing it. I’m a  little late, but I join in fluently. Then comes my small solo, and I do it, until my voice cracks at the end and I stop, “Wait, let me try again...” I speak as the manager watches me closely, and I pick up where I left off this time my voice wavers. “Are you alright hyung...?” Taemin asks. “I’m fine. Sorry, bad morning.” My harsh tone has him quiet instantly, but I curse myself, “Mianhae, dongsaeng. Retry this. I’ll do good now.” We start over, and it goes perfectly. Onew doesn’t say anything, but I can tell he’s still upset.
Hye Rim: It’s almost time for the show to start, and I wave hi to Sandara and the other 2NE1 members as they take the stage first. “Fighting~” I whisper. I’m still plagued with thoughts of Key. I’ll confront him later though. Right now, it’s time to practice and focus.
Key: Once practice ends, I look around and spot Hye Rim watching 2NE1 go onstage for their performance. She looks over my way and again I look away, smiling at my group, Onew comes over, putting a hand on my shoulder, “Really, where were you...” “I told you it doesn’t matter, hyung.” he realizes something, “That smell...” I look away, “I didn’t have time to brush my teeth, my apologies for the morning breath. Good thing the fans won’t smell it,” I smile a little to myself at the joke. “No...that’s not morning breath...were you out drinking? Is that where you were?” he grips my shirt front tightly. “Does it matter?” I speak a little irritated, “It was just a few drinks.” “Key, you were out the whole night. Why couldn’t you come back to the dorm...why didn’t you come back to the dorm? You know the manager stayed late to wait for you? How drunk were you?! So much that you couldn’t come back?” He shakes his head in disbelief, “I've never seen or caught you drinking, but I know you have more self control than that. You’re more responsible than that...now if you’ve got somewhat of a hangover-” “Lee Jinki, I’ll be fine. Don’t worry.” “Hyung. Add that at the end, dongsaeng.” I bow my head a bit, “Mianhae.”
Hye Rim: 2NE1 finishes on the stage. As they exit we congratulate them and give small bows. It’s our turn now. We take the stage, and get into position. I can feel the adrenaline pumping through my veins. The lights go down, and up we come. It’s showtime.
Key: I walk over to watch Hey-Rim...er..Wonder Girls’  performance, “Key” Jonghyun comes over,  “You sure...you are alright, right? Don’t perform if you’re not well.” “I’m fine, Jonghyun, we’re up next?” He nods, “Onew’s stressed enough, don’t mess up, alright?” He pats me on the back. “I’m SHINee’s ‘diva’, right? I’ll pull it off fine,”  I give a smile and we both laugh lightly.
Hye Rim: We all sing our last lines and hit our ending poses. The lights go down again, and we retreat backstage. We’re greeted by the PD and the girls from 2NE1, who bow, and then run to give us hugs. We all laugh. That performance went really well, and now we can all relax. Once SHINee finishes, we are all going to go out. I see SHINee go to take the stage. “Good luck~” We all call out to them.
Key: I hear them wish us luck and give a small wave before climbing up onstage, luck is definitely what we need. I almost trip on my way to the stage since its so dark, but catch my fall and continue forward.  The lights flash on, and the crowd cheers as Minho begins Ready or Not. Jonghyun says his line, and we all shout out, ‘Girl!’ I follow with my line, ‘Geuman jom chyeoda bollae ni misoye geuge jakku jal andwene.’ And later comes the part where we all sing, ‘Are you ready or not? Ready or not?’ and spin in circles together, my favorite part. I recall this was one of the texts I sent Hye Rim. While spinning, I get dizzy and end up near the edge of the stage, and grip Jonghyun who’s beside me, to keep my balance, instead I drag him down with me and we fall off, he landing on top of me and we get up laughing, some of the fans who gasped watch in awe and I speak, “I guess we caught Onew Condition,” they all laugh loudly and the performance goes on. Once done we head back stage, leaving behind the cheering fans.
Hye Rim: I see Jonghyun and Key fall and wince a little, but laugh at how they play it off. They return backstage, and everyone congratulates them, including me. “Great job!! Oppa, Jonghyun-sunbae, are you guys okay?”
Key: “Yeah, it was actually funny,” Jonghyun speaks and looks mischievously at me, “Though had our heads been any closer with how we landed , I think I would’ve ended up kissing dongsaeng here,” I laugh, punching him on the shoulder. “Not in front of the dongsaengs, Jonghyun!”
Hye Rim: They are crazy. I laugh. “That’s, um, interesting to know.” I laugh and suddenly Key is spontaneously hugging me.
Key: I don't know why I embrace her, I just felt like I had to now...like I'd never get a chance to again. I need something to say, "Thank you for your concern..." Jonghyun looks at me and remarks, "I worried, where's my hug?" I step away from Hye-Rim embarrassed at my randomness, "Mianhae hyung," I try to act cute and move to hug him and possibly give a kiss to the cheek because I see some fan girls have come backstage, but Jonghyun moves his face my way and I jump back and shout "Hyung!" as our lips almost meet, but we both have a smirk on our face because we hear the fans shriek and leave the room, "You did that on purpose!" I punch his arm a little hard, "Perhaps," he ruffles my hair and I move away, "Not my hair!" I move to look in a dressing table's mirror to fix it.
Hye Rim: I laugh at their ridiculousness, and then a thought hits me. 'Are you ready or not?' is the words to a SHINee song- the one they sang today. I'd normally brush it off, but given last night's circumstances, it seems to have a hidden meaning some how...
Key: "So now that we're just about done, where shall we go out to eat?" Taemin speaks. I find myself looking back at Hye Rim in the mirror...I have the urge to hug her again..walk out of here with an arm around her..I look back at my hair and once I rejoin the others I end up clasping my hands to contain myself, keeping a smile on my face.
CL: “Let’s head to this great dukbokki place downtown, guys~”
Hye Rim:”Mmm...I love dukbokki! Good idea, unnie~”