XII. Special day for a special girl

Call You When The Party's Over (JMJ)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minjeong's birthday and a new year's kiss.

- best staff
- best boys mark and johnny
- parental issues ✊😩 minjeongie never wins
- best girl jiminie
- AND PLOT !!
 

ENJOY AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS !

 

Aside from guarding the crown princess, it turns out that trying to avoid Minjeong’s watchful gaze is her hardest mission yet. After dealing with Minjeong’s drunken kiss and returning to the post to guard the princess, Minjeong has been slightly more pacified than usual. She’s quiet and polite, but don’t let it fool you. Karina thinks that with her subtle quietness, it’s easier for Minjeong to sneak up beside Karina to have her close.

 

“You should try this lollipop.” Minjeong says, pulling the lolly from between her lips and shoving it in an unsuspecting Karina’s mouth without warning.

“W-what—”
“It’s strawberry.” Minjeong beams cheekily.

 

Karina sighs, pulling the lollipop out and her lips—not missing the way Minjeong’s eyes drop down to her glistening lips.

 

“Princess.” She warns and Minjeong only smiles sweetly.

“What?” Minjeong takes the lollipop back and pops it into .

 

Karina blinks at the way Minjeong swirls the little lolly in .

 

“I just wanted to share. It tastes nice.” Minjeong grins.

 

Minjeong skips away to the garden and Karina can only helplessly follow.

 

“It’s my birthday in a few days.” Minjeong tells her while looking at some flowers.

“I know.” Karina nods.

“How do you know?” Minjeong asks.

“We keep a file on all clients.” Karina answers.

“Boo.” Minjeong pouts. “And I thought you remembered it heartfeltly.”

“You can only ask for so much, your highness.” Karina smirks.

 

“What will you get me?” Minjeong asks.

“Careful, don’t feed into the spoiled princess stereotype.” Karina teases and Minjeong scowls. “I’m kidding!”
"Seriously," Minjeong whines.

“Whatever you wish for, maybe I can try to get it for you.” Karina tells her.

“I’ll give you an easy one,” Minjeong grins. “A birthday kiss.”

 

Karina just sighs and turns away, walking back into the house.

 

“Wait! I was kidding, Jimin!” Minjeong chases after her. “But it’s also going to be New Year’s, so how about killing two stones with one bird—wait, two birds with one stone!”

 

Karina stops in her steps and Minjeong bumps right into her back.

 

“Ow–”

Karina turns around and stabilises Minjeong, holding her by her arms.

“Princess, I know you’re poking fun at what happened, but for the sake of your image and for the sake of my job, I am drawing a line.” Karina speaks firmly. “I cannot afford to lose this job and I cannot afford to lose the rapport I've built with you. I’d like it if you kept personal feelings aside to not jeopardise anything, your highness.” 

 

Your highness—Minjeong frowns.

 

She almost felt Karina pulling out a magic marker and drawing a physical line between them in the way she spoke. She drops her arms and moves away from Karina’s space without a bright smile.

 

“Fine, I understand.” Minjeong nods, hardening her expression. “I won’t be silly anymore, Karina.” 

 

Minjeong spins around on her heels and stomps right upstairs. Karina blinks before following along. She'd done the right thing, putting a barrier between their professional relationship, but why does it feel like she’s just gone ahead and committed a grave crime?



 

───※  ♕  ※───



 

It’s New Year's and also T-minus a handful of hours before the crown princess’ birthday. Her majesties had asked if she wanted to do something special for her birthday, but she didn’t feel like it and rejected the idea, settling for just spending the new year with her family and friends privately, since she knows her day will be overshadowed by the new year.

 

On the other hand, Karina has been having a dilemma ever since a couple of days ago, when she pushed Minjeong away.


She was feeling a strange tug in her chest and the distance the princess was putting between them was distracting her. She had become accustomed to the clingy princess in every corner of her life and spending every hour of the clock with her, but now, Minjeong barely says anything silly to her or sides up against her.

 

The princess has been spending a lot of time in her room and Karina didn’t want to knock to bother her or step foot in the room while feeling unwanted.

 

This was her fault and she was reaping the consequences.


 

“Hey, boss.” Karina tears her gaze away from her reverie.

 

She had gotten up earlier than she usually would and she was regretting a part of it because she was spacing out and feeling slightly grumpier than she usually would. She wasn’t sure why, but maybe it’s because she spent all night tossing and turning instead of falling asleep.

 

“Mm?” she hums.

“Well, I was thinking we should write a message for the princess, you know, since it’s going to be her birthday.” Mark says and then Karina notices he’s been holding a pen and card in front of her. “I got a card.” 

“Oh. That’s thoughtful of you.” Karina blinks.

“Sorry, me and Johnny’s handwriting is messy and we took up a bit of space.” Mark smiles sheepishly.

“It’s okay.” Karina chuckles, taking the card and pen.

 

Happy birthday, Minjeong.

–from Karina.

 

“That’s all?” Johnny asks.

“Why would that not be all?” Karina frowns.

“Well, we wrote more. We said thank you for being so kind, nice, and caring to us. She’s funny too sometimes and treats us like friends.” Johnny says.

“Are you confessing to me that you’ve been unprofessional on the job?” Karina looks up at the two boys and they look elsewhere.

“Uh, no… totally not.” Johnny chuckles, scratching his nape.

“I’ll add more.” Karina sighs. “I’ll give it to her.”

“But we want to give—”

“What about your—”
“Shut it.”

“Sorry. Boss.” 

 

Karina scribbles her message in as she walks up to Minjeong’s room to greet her good morning.

 

Happy birthday, princess.

–From Karina.

 

Happy birthday, Minjeong. I hope your wishes will come true.

—From Jimin. 

 

“Better, right?” Karina mumbles to herself. 

 

She tucks the pen away and brings up her hand to knock on the princess’ door. The door swings open and Minjeong is freshened up and dressed casually. Her hair is tied back in pigtails, and she wears a cute sweater with jeans. 

 

“Good morning, your highness.” Karina bows.

“Karina.” Minjeong swallows and bows, too.

 

She pulls out the card from behind her back and hands it to the princess.

 

“What’s this?” Minjeong asks.

“A birthday card.” Karina answers. “Mark and Johnny came up with the idea to write you a card. I wrote something too.”
“Oh.” Minjeong takes the card and looks at the puppy image printed on the front with a smile. She opens it and reads the messages with a blush on her cheeks at the kindness of the guards.

 

“Your high—Minjeong.” Jimin sighs softly and Minjeong looks up at her. “I know what I said might’ve hurt your feelings and jeopardised our friendship, but I wanted to apologise. I’m starting to think I’m really bad at being a friend to you. If I could take my words back and rephrase them better, I would. I don’t want to come off as mean; I don’t mean to. I… I’m still learning how to be a friend to you, and it’d do us no good to be more. I don’t want to lose this job and I don’t want to toy with the possibility of losing you either.”

 

“You—you’re right. Nothing you said was wrong.” Minjeong swallows. “I just... I guess I grew attached to you. You’re a good friend to me, surprisingly. You’re not doing terribly at it.”

 

Jimin chuckles softly.

 

“I know how important this job is to you and how important my safety is too, so I’m sorry for springing everything on to you. I’m not as mature as you and I’m childish sometimes, but I do know when to apologise. I was just frustrated. So, um, I’m sorry.” 

 

“Th–thank you.” Jimin nods. “And happy birthday, Minjeong.”
“It’s not my birthday yet.” Minjeong smiles softly, nudging Jimin’s shoulder with her hand. 

“It will be.” Jimin grins.

“Thank you, too, Jimin.” Minjeong smiles brightly.


 

When Minjeong trots downstairs with Karina following behind her, she’s surprised and almost screams when the staff present her with a cake and lit candles. Ayi pulls a confetti cannon out and she tries to pop it, but it won’t twist.

 

“I got it.” Karina takes it from her and pops it, causing Minjeong to scream at that exact moment.

“Happy birthday, Little Princess!” The staff cheers and Minjeong blushes.

“Aw, you guys!” Minjeong pouts.

“Make a wish and blow out your candles!” Ayi beams.

 

Minjeong smiles brightly, closing her eyes and clasping her hands together as she thinks of a wish. Karina watches how close Minjeong’s hands are to the flame and puts up her hand in between the flame and the princess’ precious hands—not minding the heat on her own hand.

 

Minjeong opens her eyes and blows out the candles with a bright smile.

 

“Thank you guys, seriously. I feel so loved.” Minjeong says, twisting her body on the spot bashfully. 

“You’re welcome. Anything for our little princess.” One of the cleaners says it fondly.

“Now go on and have your breakfast, dear.” Ayi ushers her to the dining room. “The Majesties will be down soon. I’ll put your cake away and if you want to eat it, just ask the chef to bring it out for you.”
“Yes, okay, thank you.” Minjeong beams.

 

Soon, the majesties come down and join Minjeong at the table.

 

“Minjeong, dear.” The King begins and Minjeong halts at the tone of his voice. 

“Yes?” Minjeong straightens up.

"It will be a new year soon, if you were not made aware, and I know you were adamant about not having a huge celebration," he begins. “But since you’re a year closer to growing up, I want to push forward on the conversation of you being wed.”

 

A silent chill passes through the place and Minjeong sighs softly.

 

“Your mother and I aren’t getting any younger,” he says. “We’d like it if you succeed with the crown and find a suitable spouse to have heirs. Prince Jaemin—”
“Not him," Minjeong huffs, looking up at her father with a fiery expression. “I don’t know how many times I can express my disdain towards Prince Jaemin for you understand that—”
“Alright, Minjeong dear, settle down.” The queen urges Minjeong to calm down as she turns to her husband to chastise him. “We won’t be pushing you towards Prince Jaemin; we’ve discussed this, my king.” 

“Fine, fine.” He grumbles.

 

Minjeong tightly grips onto her silverware, not wanting to cause a scene.

 

“Fine, if not the Na’s child, then someone else.” He bellows. “There has to be someone to your liking.”

Minjeong’s intrusive thought of Jimin attacks her mind before she can control it and she shuts her eyes tightly to clear the image.

 

“I do not have anyone to my liking.” Minjeong says. “I am not interested in looking for a spouse to succeed the crown and I will not be having an heir unless it is up to me. I will not throw away my studies for the crown.”
“Give up on your childish dreams, Minjeong. Your life isn’t meant to be played with like this. You weren’t born to play; you were born to lead.” He scoffs. “So what? You will give up your title to become some measly doctor?”

“If it comes to that, then I will!” Minjeong almost growls.

“Do not speak to us like that!” He shouts and Minjeong flinches.

 

Minjeong stands up and pushes her chair back, feeling so incredibly wronged as a lump forms in .

 

“Just one year!” Minjeong’s voice breaks as she raises it. “One year I beg of you, as my parents, not the King and Queen, to wish me a happy birthday. To ask what I want and to be a happy family. I don’t want this and I was just born into this. I’m sorry if I’m ungrateful but I did not ask for any of this! I just… I just wish you loved me enough to do what I want for one day.”
“Minjeong…” The queen’s face falls.

“Just… I won’t be doing whatever you order me to do anymore. I’m not a child anymore; I’m a grown adult. Even if I don’t follow everything you do as majesties and you call me ungrateful and childish, I don’t care. I have my own voice and I’m not afraid to use it.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter