Chapter 9

chasing stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie’s attention was drawn to a gentle knocking sound on the glass barrier. She looked up to see Roseanne standing by the other side of the glass, holding a note in her hand. With a soft smile, Roseanne pressed the note against the glass, ensuring Jennie could read it clearly.

 

Curiosity piqued; Jennie approached the glass barrier. The note read:

 

“Hi, Jennie! Thanks so much for the notepad! This is the first time that the hospital food came with something that got me excited (⁠+⁠_⁠+⁠) And no, I certainly wouldn’t blame you, and I didn’t say that I ran out of paper for you to give me this, but I’ll still keep this, you can’t take it back now, okay? Thank you again! Have a nice day! (⁠◍⁠•⁠ᴗ⁠•⁠◍⁠)⁠✧⁠*♡ – Rosie”

 

Jennie’s gaze met Roseanne’s through the glass barrier, and her expression softened ever so slightly. A faint hint of warmth flickered in her eyes, briefly betraying the cool exterior she had grown accustomed to. She acknowledged Roseanne’s note with a nod, appreciating the gratitude expressed in the heartfelt words.

 

Her response remained true to her nature, as she mustered a small smile that played upon her lips. “Sure thing,” Jennie mouthed softly, her voice barely carrying beyond the glass.

 

Jennie watched attentively as Roseanne reached for a fresh sheet of paper. A new note was quickly scribbled, and Roseanne held it against the glass, her eyes filled with curiosity.

 

The message on the note posed a simple question: “What food did they serve you for breakfast?”

She picked up her own notepad and wrote down her response: “Avocado toast.”

 

As Roseanne read Jennie’s response, a look of mild disgust crossed her face. Her brows furrowed, and she pursed her lips in a mixture of surprise and distaste.

 

With a slight cringe, Roseanne swiftly grabbed another sheet of paper and started writing a new note. Her hand moved hurriedly across the page, capturing her feelings in a few short words. Once she was done, she pressed the note against the glass for Jennie to read.

 

The message read: “Ew.”

 

Jennie’s eyes crinkled ever so slightly as she caught a glimpse of Roseanne’s disgusted expression. A soft chuckle escaped her lips, though she made sure to stifle it quickly, not wanting to draw too much attention to herself.

 

With a subtle smirk playing on her lips, Jennie took her notepad and carefully wrote her next response: “Not a fan?”

 

Roseanne quickly picked up her notepad and started scribbling her response.

 

From that moment forward, their exchange of notes became a channel for conversations. Through written words they asked each other random questions, talked about their day, what they ate, and how the hospital food . The glass barrier that separated them seemed to dissolve with each note, replaced by a bridge of understanding and friendship.

Roseanne’s curiosity brimmed within her, pushing her pen to dance across the notepad’s surface. With a smile, she presse

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter