Chapter 24

chasing stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day, as Jennie entered Rosie’s room, her heart heavy with grief, she was taken aback by the sight of a girl sitting in the bed. She resembled Rosie, but there was a certain maturity and weariness in her eyes that indicated she was older. Jennie’s curiosity and confusion mingled as the girl looked up and noticed her presence.

 

The girl stood up, a faint smile gracing her lips. “You must be Jennie,” she said, her voice tinged with both sadness and warmth. “I’m Alice, Rosie’s sister. She talked about you so much.”

 

Jennie’s eyes widened in surprise. “Hi.” She said, her voice trembling with emotion. “Where is she now?”

 

Alice nodded, her eyes filled with a mixture of sorrow and understanding. “Rosie is being cremated.” She replied softly. “You know what she told me?”

 

Jennie’s gaze met Alice’s, a mixture of anticipation and sadness etched on her face. She nodded, urging Alice to continue.

 

Alice took a deep breath, her voice filled with a profound sense of reverence as she recounted the conversation she had with Rosie back when Rosie just got out of the ICU. “I asked her what I should do with her ashes. And you know what she said?” Alice paused, allowing the weight of Rosie’s words to settle between them.

 

“She said, ‘Throw my ashes in the places Jennie felt alone.’”

 

Tears pooled in Jennie’s eyes.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter