Chapter 22

chasing stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

author’s note: i recommend listening to bigger than the whole sky by taylor swift while reading this chapter :)

 

 

Jennie’s heart was filled with anticipation as she hurriedly made her way to the hospital, clutching a carefully prepared mango shake in her hands. Rosie had mentioned countless times that mango shake was her favorite, and Jennie couldn’t wait to see the joy on her Rosie’s face when she presented it to her.

 

Jennie’s steps quickened as she dialed Rosie’s number, eager to share her excitement and let her friend know she was on her way. The phone rang a few times before Rosie’s weak voice answered on the other end.

 

“Rosie! I’m almost there! Guess what I have with meee? ~” Jennie singsongs.

 

Rosie’s response came weakly, her breaths punctuated with exhaustion. “What?” she managed to whisper, her voice barely audible.

 

Jennie’s gut tightened, a sense of unease washing over her. Rosie’s feeble and breathless response was a stark contrast to her usual energetic and vibrant self. It was a clear indication that something was seriously wrong.

 

Fear coursed through Jennie’s veins, pushing her into immediate action. Without a second thought, she broke into a sprint, racing towards Rosie’s room. The urgency in her steps mirrored the panic in her heart.

 

When Jennie peered through the glass barrier of Rosie’s room, her heart dropped. Rosie laid there in the hospital bed, her frail form barely recognizable. The sight was a stark contrast to the vibrant and lively friend Jennie knew. Rosie’s breaths came in shallow gasps, her face pale and gaunt. Tubes and wires s around her, connecting her to various machines that monitored her failing body. It was clear that her condition had deteriorated rapidly.

 

Rosie needs urgent medical attention.

 

Panic coursed through Jennie’s veins as she surveyed the room. Where were the doctors? Where were the nurses? Why was no one attending to Rosie? Why was she alone? Her voice trembled as she desperately called out for help, pleading with anyone who would listen.

 

“Please, someone, help! Rosie needs immediate medical attention! Can’t you see how sick she is?” Jennie’s voice quivered with a mix of desperation and frustration.

 

She frantically called the hospital staff, pleading for their immediate assistance to tend to Rosie’s critical condition. Nurses rushed to Jennie’s side, trying their best to calm her down while explaining the situation.

 

“Please, you have to help her! Rosie needs medical attention,” Jennie pleaded, her voice trembling with fear and anguish.

 

Her emotions boiled over, frustration and anger bubbling within her. She couldn’t comprehend why Rosie was left unattended in such a critical state. Her voice quivered with a mix of fury and anguish as she confronted the hospital staff.

 

“Why isn’t anyone helping her? How can you just leave her like this? She needs medical attention immediately!” Jennie’s voice rose with each word, her eyes filled with a fiery determination.

 

A nurse gently approached her, recognizing the distress and confusion in her eyes. With a calm and compassionate tone, the nurse began to explain the situation.

 

“Jennie, I understand your concern for Rosie, and we’re doing everything we can to help her,” the nurse started, her voice filled with empathy. “There’s something you need to know... Rosie... She... She signed a document when she was in a more stable condition. It outlines her wishes that if she were to become critically ill, she didn’t want the doctors to provide further treatment.”

 

Jennie’s heart shattered into a million pieces upon hearing the nurse’s words. The weight of Rosie’s decision crushed her, leaving her feeling helpless and devastated. Tears streamed down her face as the realization sank in, mingling with her frustration and anger.

 

“Why? Why would she make such a choice?”

 

The nurse, who had also become a close friend to Rosie, spoke with a heavy heart, her voice filled with empathy. “Rosie expressed that she feels guilty for the burden her medical expenses have placed on her sister. She knows how hard her sister works to pay for her care, and she doesn’t want to be a financial strain on her anymore. Rosie also mentioned that by signing the document, she wanted to protect the doctors and nurses who have been taking care of her, so they wouldn’t risk their health while treating her.”

 

Jennie’s heart ached with sorrow. She knew Rosie’s love for her sister ran deep, and this decision was a testament to her selflessness. But it was also an immense weight to bear, knowing that Rosie was sacrificing her own well-being to ease the burden on others.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter