Chapter 10

My Realistic Fantasy

I could not sit still. If I stayed still, people were going to kill me. I'll just kill them back, in my head. I tried to take notes but the equations just churned into a mumble-jumble of words that threatened my life. Well, this is interesting. I mean, I always thought Chemistry would be the death of me but not so literally. The words started forming on the page themselves:

 

You are a very bad person, you are evil, and you deserve to die.

 

I'm not evil, I'm not bad, I'm not evil, I don't want to die.

 

I looked over at the wall and could have sworn that it was laughing at me.

Minji-ssi, what's the answer to forty-nine?” I heard. I looked up and saw the teacher looking at me expectantly.

 

I'm not really sure, but I'm not really sure about a lot of things these days.” I told him, feeling the smile creep onto my face.

 

What do you mean?” He asked me, tilting his head.

 

Well, I was wondering why people kill others and why they threaten people. I mean, I have counted up to thirty-three deaths in my head so far, what about you sir?” I asked him. My voice came out dreamy and he look worried and concerned.

 

Please sit down, you're disrupting the class and you are obviously a piece of .” He told me. I stared at him.

 

YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW!” I yelled at him and then my eyes widened in horror. I just yelled at my teacher, I had just yelled at my teacher and now I was in huge amounts of trouble.

 

I told you so. I heard her whisper and my stomach turned into knots. The teacher stared at me with wide eyes.

 

I think you should go out into the hall and comeback when you feel ready.” He said in a steady voice, everyone in the class was staring at me. This is not good, this is not good at all. I gathered my things and ran out the door. I didn't go to the dorm or the cafeteria or the library. I just ran and hoped my that wherever my legs took me would be away from all this threats and deaths.

 

I stared at my phone, five missed calls from Kyuhyun, eight from Eunmi, forty-three from Henry, eighteen unread messages in total, and my voice mail too full for it to receive anymore messages. I watched as the screen lit up again as Kyuhyun called and flinched. He's out to get me.

 

You really are pathetic you know, unable to find your way back, unable to look for help. You're all alone Minji and unlike fairy tales, you don't have a knight in shining armor. She whispered into my ear, her velvet voice making me gag. I clutched my head. Leave me alone please, just please leave me alone! I thought.

 

I'm never going to leave you Minji, I will always be with you. She said before she broke into a terrifying cackle.

Hey, are you okay?” Someone asked from the side of the street. I flinched away from them. He wants to kill me, eat my insides. “Do you need help?” He asked calmly.

 

I'm lost.” I whimpered and his eyes were full of sympathy.

 

Where do you need to go?” He asked.

 

I can't remember.” I moaned as I started to clutch my head again. He saw my phone and reached for it. I tried to slap his hand away but he ignored me. No, please stop! The people who are trying to reach me are trying to kill me.

 

Hello? Yeah? She's here, she can't seem to remember where she is or where she's going.” He spoke, he handed the phone to me. “He wants to speak to you.” I cautiously took the phone from his hand and spoke into it.

 

Are you going to hurt me?” I asked, barely a whisper.

 

Minji? Is that you? Oh God, where are you right now?” I heard Kyuhyun ask. It was as if all the clouds in my head cleared up and I could think clearly again.

 

I'm really sorry but I can't seem to remember.” I told him. I looked up at the man standing in front of me. “Excuse me sir, where am I?” He seemed a little startled by my question but answered it anyways. I told Kyuhyun where I was.

 

Ok, don't hang up on me. Don't move, I'm coming to get you.” He said and I started to hear movement. Although he didn't really say much, hearing his breath was enough to keep me from exploding. After a couple minutes he asked me where I was.

 

I'm crouching behind a bush.” I told him.

 

Why on Earth are you crouching behind a bush Minji?” He asked me.

 

That way no one will be able to find me and hurt me.” I giggled into the phone. A couple moments later, I heard the crunch of gravel behind me.

 

I think they're here.” I whispered to Kyuhyun. The line went dead. I'm going to die. Someone grabbed my arm and pulled me up. I started screaming.

 

Shhh, shh, shh. Minji calm down, it's just me.” I heard a familiar voice say. I opened up my eyes and saw Kyuhyun's deep brown ones in front of me. I quickly pushed my face into his chest and started sobbing. “It's okay Minji, you're going to be okay. Everything is going to be just fine.” He told me as he rubbed my back. I heard Kyuhyun thank the kind man who helped me. I also saw Kyuhyun stick his business card in his pocket but didn't think much of it. I was safe now, and that's all that mattered.

 

Come on, let's get you home.” Kyuhyun whispered into my ear.

 

 

I found Eunmi waiting for me back at the dorm. She seemed to be stressed about things I would not know and probably would not find out. She saw me and quickly pulled me into a hug.

Do you have any idea how worried I was about you?” She asked, still hugging me. I started squirming, it was getting hard to breathe. “I'm sorry.” I told her, trying to wiggle out of her grasp. She just held me tighter.

 

Don't ever do that to me again.” She said but I could barely hear her. She was trying to kill me. I pushed her away and shoved her against the wall and grabbed . She clung at my hands and I just tighten them.

 

You are a very, very evil person and you deserve to die.” Her voice came out and Eunmi's teeth started to become pointy. I screamed and tightened my grip even more.

 

M-Minji! Please, stop.” Eunmi croaked and I let go. I stared at my hands and down at Eunmi who was on all fours, grasping for air. She looked up at me, fear in her eyes. “You, what is wrong with you?” She asked.

 

I don't know, I don't know what is wrong with me. I quickly left the dorm and ran to Kyuhyun's, banging on the dorm. Kyuhyun opened the door and his eyes widened with shock as he looked at my tear-streaked face.

 

What's wrong?” He asked as he came outside, closing the door behind him. His hands were on my arms and he looked at me in the eyes. The words didn't come out right and I stuttered as I tried to tell him what was wrong.

 

I don't know what's wrong with me. Everyone's trying to kill me, I almost killed Eunmi. Kyuhyun, I'm scared.” I told him. He pulled me into his room and didn't explain to his roommate who I was and what I was doing here. I sat down on Kyuhyun's bed and watched as he went around the room, getting ready for bed before he finally climbed in with me. He pulled me into his chest and rubbed my back and for the first time in months I fell asleep without feeling the fear of the night.