Chapter 4

My Realistic Fantasy

    I looked around me and tried to find the source of the voice. It was like mine left me though because when I opened my mouth, nothing came out. I heard a chuckle before she started speaking again.

"You know what you did last night would not be approved of by your parents." Her voice sounded sweet, too sweet. It was that tone people who hated you used when they mocked you. I couldn't respond to her. Instead, I found myself walking down the path, again. I wanted to turn back because I knew what was waiting for me when I got to the end. I tried to turn around but I only ended up running TOWARDS the place I was trying to escape from.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you. It just speeds up the process." The voice said. I began to feel nauseous. The mere act of listening to her voice suffocated me. I would never want to see what this person looked like. I was walking again but still, in the same direction.

"You know, you really are useless Minji." I heard the voice say again. I did not want to hear it. I wanted to clutch my head in my hands but even those seemed to be glued at my sides."You can't even listen to your parents. You were kind of a disappointment when you were not able to get into Beijing University or Seoul National University. I mean, after all of that the last thing anyone could expect from you is obeying your parents. Apparently you can't live up to that expectation either." Her tone was smug now but her words hurt me so much. She was right, I was a disappointment. I couldn't even listen to my parents. We kept walking and thank God she stopped talking. We continued walking down when we stopped sooner than last time. This was strange, the path was definitely longer last time. I shut my eyes in fear of what waited me below.

"Open your eyes." She hissed. I didn't want to but I can't control anything here. No, everything here was under HER control. My eyes flew open against my will but I looked up. She didn't tell me to look at the pit...yet.

"Look at the pit." I tried to fight the urge but in the end I was looking down at the writhing bodies. They were crawling on top of each other, just like last time. They were clawing desperately, trying to get out. Just like last time.

"Jump." I heard her whisper. That was one thing I was NOT going to do. I tried really hard and surprisingly, I stayed in place.

"I said jump." She hissed at me. I couldn't tell her no but with all the will I had in me, I refused to move. Her voice became annoyed and frustrated as she commanded me again.

"Jump before I push you in." She said with annoyance. I tried to hold my ground but somehow I found myself stepping closer to the edge. When I was a step away from the pit, everything turned black.

 

     I woke up, my head throbbing and my heart pounding. I was panting and I felt like throwing up. The clock read seven in the morning. I decided that it was an acceptable time to wake up and jumped in the shower. The warm water helped relax me a little bit and when I walked out, I found Eunmi still sleeping. I went to go wake her up.

 

“Go away. Go back to sleep.” She mumbled to me and I only chuckled.

 

“Eunmi, it's time to wake up. You're gonna be late to first period.” I told her. She groaned and to her stomach

 

“I'm ditching.” She mumbled into her pillow. I rolled my eyes. Even though we were in a top university in South Korea, every school has a party child. Eunmi was obviously one.

 

“Whatever floats your boat. I'm leaving then.” I told her. She grunted in acknowledgment. I stifled a laugh as I walked out of the room. I walked to a nearby cafe and grabbed a cup of coffee before walking back to my class. I stared at the worksheet that was handed to us in class and didn't understand half of it. My dream popped into my head again and it sent chills down my spine before I shook it off and tried to do the work. It kindda made sense halfway through the lesson and I was glad the bell finally rang. I walked out the door and normally, Jihae would already be waiting for me. I would walk with her to second seeing that we had it together. Not today though, Jihae was not waiting for me and I walked to second myself. Did everyone ditch? I thought to myself. I shook my head and went over to second period.

 

     In third period, I decided to ask the professor about my dreams. He MAY know...I hope he'll know because they're starting to freak me out. After third was over I walked to the teacher.

 

Um, excuse me?” I asked politely. He looked up at me and smiled.

 

Minji! How can I help you?” He asked as he fumbled through papers.

 

I've been having these weird dreams lately and I was just wondering if you could tell me what they meant.” I asked him.

 

That depends on what the dream is. Why don't you tell me about it?” He asked. I wasn't exactly comfortable with telling him the details seeing that I haven't even told Kyuhyun about the dreams yet.

 

I always appear on the same pathway that leads to the same pit. The thing is, every night the walk gets shorter to the pit and the pit keeps getting bigger.” I told him. I wasn't really planning on telling him about the whispering voice or the crawling bodies in the pit. Just the thought of it send chills down my spine.

 

Well, I can't tell you EXACTLY what the dream means but the symbolism is quite obvious.” He said as he looked at me.

 

Symbolism?” I asked confused.

 

You're the best student in the class I would expect you to notice already.” He said with a smile.

 

I don't understand.” I said Huntley. I really didn't understand. What did this dream mean? If he told me the symbolism it may make sense.

 

“Your pathway is a symbol of something current, a piece of you. The pit is something in the future.” He said simply. I still didn't understand what he was trying to explain.

 

“Basically, the pit is something that is consuming a part of you, the pathway. It's making progress if the path is becoming shorter and the pit is getting bigger.” He said as he packed up his bag and put on his coat. “I hope that cleared things up. I'll see you tomorrow Minji.” He said with a pleasant smile. I walked out of the classroom and walked slowly to the cafeteria. Consuming a part of me? What part of me was it consuming? I was in deep thought when someone hit me on the head. I looked at who it was.

“Go away Cho Kyuhyun.” I mumbled. What did this kid want? I hit him on the head.

 

“Someone's grumpy.” He said with a chuckle as he ruffled my hair. I swatted his hand away and sneered at him. He only smiled at me before yawning.

 

“Did you just get up?” I asked. He smiled sheepishly. I rolled my eyes, this kid ditched too? We sat down in the cafeteria after getting food where a sleepy Jihae, Eunmi, and Hyunki met us.

 

“Did you all ditch?” I asked them as they rubbed their eyes and yawned. I just shook my head.

 

“Who wants to go again tonight?” Eunmi asked sarcastically.

 

“You guys should probably go get your makeup work after school today.” I told them as took a drink of water. They all nodded. I just sighed when my phone vibrated in my pocket.

 

To: Minji

From: Henry

 

Hey! Want to meet up after school today? :]

 

 

To: Henry

From: Minji

 

Sure! Where?

 

To: Minji

From: Henry

 

A cafe? Haha.

 

I smiled to myself as he texted me the location of our meeting.

 

“How about we all hang out in my dorm tonight after school?” Eunmi asked the group. They nodded, saying it would be fun. Eunmi was going to bring some other classmates with her, so was Jihae and Hyunki.

 

“I can't, sorry.” I told them simply as I ate a mouthful of rice.

 

“Why? It's your dorm.” Hyunki asked as he watched me.

 

“I know, I just have plans tonight.” I said without meeting any of their eyes.

 

“Do you have a date?” Eunmi asked with a gasp. Kyuhyun just raised an eyebrow at me. I didn't reply, I just kept drinking my water.

 

“You do have a date! Who is it?” Eunmi asked. I shrugged and kept chugging down the water.

 

“Come on Minji, tell us who it is.” Jihae joined.

 

“No one. I need to study while you guys are partying in the dorm. I obviously won't get anything done with you guys there.” I said as a quick coverup. “Lying is a sin. You're being a bad friend Minji.” I heard and I sighed. When the attention was turned back on Eunmi, who was planning out the rest of the night, Kyuhyun elbowed me.

 

Where are you actually going?” He whispered. Of course, I would never be able to make him believe any lie I came up with. He could practically read my mind.

 

A cafe.” I replied simply.

 

With who?” He kept asking. I didn't want to tell him but he'd figure out anyways.

 

With Henry.” I told him as I played with my bottle cap. He furrowed his eyebrows but other than that, he didn't question me anymore.

 

 

 

†††

 

 

I clutched my stomach, it hurt so much from laughing. Henry only chuckled, more amused with my reaction than his statement.

 

You have to be kidding me.” I told him. He shook his head.

 

I'm not.” He said simply as he leaned back into his chair. I had stupidly brought my homework with me. We've been sitting here for almost three hours now and I haven't pulled a single book out. I sighed as I took another sip from my latte.

 

What are you doing this weekend?” He asked me, leaning on the table.

 

Nothing really. Probably studying?” I told him.

 

You say that like a question.” He laughed.

 

Nothing's really predictable with my roommate.” I told him while I looked out the window. I heard him chuckle and glanced at him before looking back out the window. I could feel him staring at me and I looked back at him. “Is there something on my face?” I asked with a smile.

 

No, no. I was just wondering what you were thinking about?” He said bluntly. His question caught me off guard.

 

I'm actually hoping that whoever comes over to our dorm does not trash the whole place up. I'm also hoping my roommate won't get drunk so I'm not the only one who has to clean the place up if it gets trashed up." I said. The thought of that made me shudder. His eyes were still on me and I looked up and met them to find him smiling warmly at me. I could feel a blush creep into my cheeks and looked down at my hands.

 

Minji, you're pathetic, get a hold of yourself. All he did was smile at you" I heard and I had to agree with it. I looked at the boy sitting across the table from me and smiled back. While we sat there in silence, enjoying the company, I took in all of his physical features. His short brown hair was gelled up to the side. I normally hated that look on people but he pulled it off real well. His chubby cheeks reminded me of a chipmunk and his playful personality only added to it. His smile was was adorable and his dimples did not help making him less attractive at all. His eyes weren't huge and he was complaining to me earlier about that but I liked his eyes. They always sparkled with joy and mischievousness. I laughed quietly and he looked up at me.

 

What? Is there something on my face?” He asked. I smiled widely.

 

No, no." I said.

 

Then what? Do you think I'm some supernatural being or something?” He asked playfully.

 

Actually, I thought you were a chipmunk in your past life.” I said with a smile. He opened his mouth in shock.

 

I'm not a chipmunk. I'm a ninja.” He said as he crossed his arm and lifted his chin.

 

Sure, I bet you get beat up a lot.” I teased.

 

No, I'm the best one. I taught Naruto everything he knows.” He told me. I smiled at his playfulness.

 

Don't get too attracted now, Minji.” I heard in my head and without realizing it, I replied back.

 

I won't. I thought as I kept eye contact with the cute boy in front of me.