Chapter 8

My Realistic Fantasy

      I'm in a room, a room I cannot find the exit to, a room I cannot find the entrance to, a room that is completely dark. I look up and I can see the gray sky. Odd, rooms normally have ceilings. Right? I look up and almost wish I had not. SHE was right there, SHE was watching me, SHE was out to get me. I wanted to tear my gaze from her but at the same time, I didn't. I wanted to run from those harsh words yet a part of me wanted to hear them, to know what the truth about me was. Her lips turned up into a smirk.

 

Finally trapped. You are one difficult little brat you know? I do not understand how hard it can be just to listen to someone, but you are an exception. You have been nothing but obedient your entire life, so I guess freedom is very foreign to you. It doesn't matter though, you're finally here! Now the fun can really begin.” She said and I could taste the honey that glazed over her words. It made me gag, I hated her. I felt a hatred that started to boil inside me that I have never felt in my life before. It was dark and bitter and I did not like it at all.

 

     I looked at her and realized that she had started to get closer. Somehow, she was able to descend from the top and met my eyes. I felt myself stop breathing. A blast of cold air sent my hair flying behind me and I could feel goosebumps form on my arms. I was trapped underneath her intense gaze but I could feel the presence of others around us. When she finally dropped her gaze, I looked around and screamed. The bodies that use to be in the pit were surrounding us and somehow around me. That's when it hit me. I was not in a room trapped with a bunch of zombies. I was in the pit. The realization of this caught me off guard and I screamed louder than I ever had in the past nineteen years of my life. I felt a shaking and the pit started collapsing and became even more terrified.

 

Minji! Minji!” I hear someone call but this voice wasn't overly sweet or hostile. It was like being able to breathe after being held under water. I searched for the voice.

 

Minji! Minji, wake up! Wake up!” I heard someone yell as they shook me. My eyes flew open and I gasped. I looked into the face of the one who pulled me out of such a terrifying scene and I felt a huge amount of weight being lift off of my chest as I looked into Kyuhyun's eyes. He was holding me at arms length, examining my face to see if I was okay. I was still gasping and felt sweat forming on my forehead.

 

“You're going to be fine, ok? You're going to be ok.” He said to me as my breathing slowed. I saw Henry over his shoulder and Kyuhyun let go of me. I looked at Henry and he cautiously made his way towards me and pulled me into a tight embrace. I could feel the hesitation in his action though; it was as if he was afraid of me.

 

“Are you okay?” He asked breathlessly. I just snuggled into his neck.

 

“Yeah, I'm fine. It was just a very terrible dream.” I told him slowly. I don't want to admit it, but somewhere deep down, I knew I was trying to reassure myself more than him. As much as I didn't want to go back to sleep, I was exhausted.

 

“What time is it?” I asked him as I pulled out of his hug.

 

“It's about three thirty, you should get some more sleep.” He said, holding onto my shoulders. I was too tired to argue so I just nodded and settled back into the bed. Henry got up and I quickly grabbed his arm; he looked back at me, confused.

 

“Please don't leave me.” I whispered. I could feel the hysteria creeping over me as I thought about being left all alone to deal with the nightmares. He just climbed back into the bed and pulled me to his chest. His scent calmed me and I started drifting off to sleep. Before my eyes closed completely though, I saw someone over Henry's shoulder. Her eyes a smoldering amber, a face with sharp angles, and around my height. I couldn't really see any other physical features except for the outline of her body. I then fell back into a dreamless slumber.

 

 

      I hate chemistry, I hate chemistry, I hate chemistry! I thought to myself as the period progressed. I sat there, tapping my pencil against the desk and glanced outside the window about every five seconds. Unfortunately, there was nothing interesting. The outside looked the same each time I looked out. I sat there staring at the worksheet we were given and was about to start the first problem when it happened.

 

Get out.” I looked around to see who was talking to me. There was no one at my desk, the professor was out, the other students were doing their work. I shrugged it off and continued with my work. “I told you to leave.” I just couldn't understand why though. Why did I have to leave?

 

You are going to die if you stay here.” You are going to die if you stay here, you are going to die if you stay here, you are going to die if you stay here. Suddenly everything became clear. I looked behind me to the last row. There was only on person sitting there. He looked up and shot a smirk at me. I felt shivers run down my spine. In his lap was a knife. He sat there staring and smirking at me; the whole time he was petting his knife.

 

     I need to get out of here. I hastily shoved all my belongings into my bag and hurried out of the room. I hurried down the hall. I could feel eyes on me but I really did not care. I had to leave because if I didn't, I would never walk down these halls again. I rushed down the halls, the whole time the classrooms were whispering to me.

 

Hurry Minji, hurry before he comes to get you.” They kept telling me. It was strange, I knew their voice were all in my head, but their encouragement made me walk faster. I arrived quickly to the dorm and fumbled with the keys for almost a full minute before finally getting the door open. I hurried in a slammed the door, locking it behind me. I was panting and she showed up again.

 

You're finally starting to listen Minji, I'm surprised.” She told me but I did not want to listen or see her. I clutched at my head, almost ripping me hair out. The pain shocked me and I gasped as the sting spread through my head. I watched as she disappeared for a second during that one moment of pain and I felt relief. I grabbed Eunmi's pocket knife and held it against my wrist. I felt her eyes burn into my back and made eye contact with her amber ones.

 

Don't do it Minji.” She said with a serious tone but there was fear in her eyes. For the first time, her eyes showed something other than wanting total control over me. I pressed the blade a little harder into my skin and noticed that her image started to dissolve. The pain took me by surprise and I gasped even though I was the one who slashed through the skin. I watched as the blood oozed out, the cut was not too deep but it was big enough. I watched as she slowly started to disappear and made three more cuts across my wrist. My arm was beginning to go numb and the feeling of pain disappeared. I was under some sort of trance, some kind of spell. Once the first cut was made I didn't want to stop. I wanted to keep slashing away at my wrist till I had cut the full length of my arm. As long as it kept her away, I would do anything. The vibration of my phone snapped me out of my actions and I made my way cautiously to see who had sent what. A wave of pain finally hit me, my arm stinging from the cuts. I checked the text, ignoring the pain. It was from an unknown number and I was a little bit scared to open the message. What if they were just going to tell me how much of a disappointment and weak I am? My thumb cautiously pushed the open button:

 

     Hey, this is Jinae. I sit next to you in Chem...you remember right? Anyways, I got your number from Eunmi. Why did you leave class so suddenly?

 

     I stared at the message for a good minute. Jinae? We have exchanged a total of eight words at most this whole school year. Why did she care all of a sudden? I considered whether it would be safe to tell her about that kid in the back plotting to kill me. Chances are she wouldn't really believe me...but what is there to loose? It might just make me safer. I sent an explanation of how I looked back and saw him cradling a knife like it was his child and smirking at me. What I wasn't prepared for was her response.

 

To: Minji

From: Jinae

 

      ...Minji-ah, there wasn't any knife. I saw how you looked back and had an expression of terror so I looked back. He was working on his worksheet, like the rest of us.

 

It was like she slapped me in the face. She thought I was a liar, she didn't believe me. I could not and will not accept this. That guy back there could have killed me and she's talking like I'm, I'm crazy! I threw my phone as hard as I could against my bed. Why wouldn't she believe me? I don't tell lies, I don't like to lie. I've never made anything up before to get attention from others.

 

Just face it Minji. She doesn't believe you, no one will.” She whispered in a mocking voice close to my ear. Although her statement was short and simple, it cut through me and it hurt more than any amount of cuts I made on my arm. It made me feel weak and very alone.