Chapter Five

The Garden of Orange Butterflies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I’ll pick you up by ten.

That’s what Miss Kim sent in her text a few hours ago. I’m already dressed up and ready to go but I’m nervous about today. Since my colleagues were telling me that I was Miss Kim’s favorite, the thought has been bothering me and I don’t know how to react now around her.

And that was yesterday. So I’ve been having this thought the whole night.

Is it really true? Am I her favorite?

I don’t think so.

“Let’s not think about it, Ggomo” I said to my master’s backside because, as always, he refuses to face me unless I’m giving him food. “I’m working right now. This is work. I need to concentrate”

Byulyi-unnie, thankfully, didn’t notice me being so distracted last night. And it’s a good thing that Miss Ahn has something to do early in the morning today so she only told me to be careful and to keep texting her before she left our apartment. Never noticed anything weird about me at all.

“I’m here for work. Let’s do this for work” I mumbled to myself again.

Five minutes before ten, I kissed Ggomo goodbye and checked his food and water bowls before heading out of the apartment. While waiting for the elevator to reach the ground floor, I fixed my glasses and then tucked my ears behind my beanie.

It’s going to be a little colder these days as we’re halfway through fall and slowly entering winter. White snow will soon cover the roads and bring shivers down to our bones.

I hid my hands in the pockets of my jacket as I exited the building. And then I saw Miss Kim leaning on the hood of her car with her Kindle in her hand.

She’s reading again. And she’s reading under this cold weather with such thin clothes.

I rushed to her and quickly took a bow when I was standing right in front of her.

She was a little surprised with my rushed movements. That was the first time she has shown signs of emotions.

“Good morning, Miss Kim. Did you wait long for me? Aren’t you cold?”

She glanced at her watch before she said, “I got here ten minutes ago. And yeah… it’s a little cold”

“Why didn’t you call?”

“I just thought I’d wait”

“Why didn’t you wait inside your car if you’re cold?” I asked, my voice unintentionally rising while staring at her in disbelief.

She blinked several times, astounded. “I thought you might not see me if I wait inside”

I pouted at her, almost frowning already. “Then you should’ve called.” I grabbed her arm and gently dragged her to the driver’s side. “You should get in already. You’re already covered in goosebumps. How are you supposed to drive now? And I did say I can get to the venue. You don’t have to pick me up”

“Miss Jung,” she said, trying to interrupt me.

“You didn’t have to wait here at all”

I reached up to push her fedora hat, her signature piece of clothing, securely on her head. At least this’ll protect her from the cold if she insists on wearing a crop top.

“Miss Jung…”

I opened the door for her but it was locked. I tried it again as if it’ll make a difference.

Miss Kim grabbed my hand and pulled it away from the door handle.

“I’m fine, Miss Jung” she said, her lips slightly lifting up in a small smile.

This is the first time she smiled. Right? Right!?

“And besides, you need to get in first. I think you’re the one who’s cold between the two of us”

She dragged me away from the driver’s seat and walked me to the passenger seat. She opened the door with ease unlike my attempt earlier.

“How’d you do that?”

She let me settle in the car first before she said, “I own the car.” She closed the door before she walked around to the driver’s side. She opened the door so easily again, making me gasp before I pouted at her.

“How’d you do that?” I asked again.

“I own the car,” she said again.

“That doesn’t explain it at all,” I whined.

She placed her Kindle in the glovebox before fastening her seatbelt. She saw me still pouting, earning a smile again, and motioned for me to do the same thing.

“Fingerprints. It recognized my prints so I sometimes don’t need keys” she finally explained.

“Why didn’t you say that earlier?” I whined some more.

“Because I own the car”

“I—” My mouth left hanging open as I stared at her. How am I supposed to argue that?

She raised an eyebrow, gaze challenging.

I was the first one who looked away, unable to hold her stare anymore. I suddenly found this whole ordeal unbelievable. And also funny. I started giggling as I took my glasses to clean them when they became foggy.

“Where are we heading, Miss Kim?”

I wore my glasses again, blinking several times to adjust from a blurry to a clear vision.

“Jungsik Seoul”

“Oh, a restaurant?” I grabbed my pen and notepad from my bag as I started taking notes. “Do we have a schedule with their owner or at least their manager? I didn’t know where we’re going today so I wasn’t able to request a meeting with them”

“We’re not meeting the owner or the manager”

I looked away from my notes to pout at Miss Kim. “How are we supposed to proceed with the evaluation then?”

“I made a reservation,” she said, briefly glancing at me before focusing on the road again.

“Huh?” I asked, brows furrowing from confusion.

“I made a reservation,” she repeated but I still didn’t get it.

She never supplied further explanation. She only looked at my dazed look and continued driving with her lips sealed completely.

How am I supposed to—

“Oh, wait! Is it like a secret? Are we going to act like customers and observe? Work their system and figure it out discreetly?” I asked, my face getting brighter and brighter with more questions leaving my mouth.

“Yeah… Something like that”

“Okay!” I listed it down. “This is thrilling, Miss Kim. It feels like I’m a spy—Wait, I am, right? We’re spying, right?” I giggled to myself, already feeling a little excited. “I can’t wait,” I whispered, unable to stop myself from giggling.

“Yeah, I guess,” Miss Kim mumbled.

There’s already this stereotypical tune for spy movies playing in my head. I imagined myself carrying a gun like a secret agent, ducking on walls to completely blend in the shadows. Except I won’t be carrying a gun in actuality but my pen and notepad.

How am I supposed to hide?

That’s kinda tricky.

Jungsik Seoul is a fine dining restaurant. It would be crazy if I suddenly roll and duck to hide in there. I won’t be able to conceal myself as a secret customer. A spy. I don’t know much about the layout either. Haven’t worked there or eaten there. Only heard of it and saw it from the outside. There are several things we should consider in order to evaluate the place too.

We need a plan.

“We need a plan”

“What?” Miss Kim asked, confused.

“We need a plan, Miss Kim”

Her eyebrows furrowed as she asked, “What plan?”

“What do we want to know on this visit?” I said, as I started listing down things on my notes while explaining it to Miss Kim. “Usually, Miss Ahn and I, sometimes with Joy, make a list of the things we wanted to know during the visit. Their current system but what system? Materials, people, and uhm… information involved in the system. The points in the system that we need to prioritize. We need to gather as much information so we can translate in technical terms for the programmer team to work on. Since your team is busy with your lined up projects, we wanted to make sure that we got all the information you need to easily translate it—”

“Miss Jung,” Miss Kim interrupted.

I looked away from my notes to Miss Kim. “Yes, Miss Kim?”

“It’s just an ocular visit.” She reached over to gently pat my arm as she said, “Take it easy, okay?”

I pouted at her. It’s going to be easy if it’s just an ocular visit but I prepared for today. And my colleagues telling me that I’m Miss Kim’s favorite is still ringing in my head. Whether it’s true or not, I wanted to give my best today.

“What will be the content of the evaluation report then?” I asked, scratching my cheek as I pouted at my notes.

“Just general observations, Miss Jung”

“Am I just… going to sit and look around?”

She nodded, her lips curling up in a small smile. “And we’re going to eat too,” she added.

“Hmm…”

I pressed the back of my pen on my chin as I continued to pout at my notes, eyebrows furrowing from confusion. How should I proceed with this? Miss Kim’s instructions are too vague and general, unlike Miss Ahn’s. I got Miss Ahn’s guidance, which was the main reason why I got to make good reports.

How am I supposed to make good reports now?

I decided to proceed with making my own list to make my report as extensive as I can. I used Miss Ahn’s instructions when we did this as my benchmark. I can still make good reports with this.

My pout was easily replaced with a satisfied grin, proud of myself now that I know what I’ll be doing. That stereotypical tune for spy movies is playing in my head again.

We’re spying!

“Something good happened?” Miss Kim asked, noticing the changes of my demeanor.

I grinned and nodded at her. “I know this is just going to be an ocular visit but I still want to make a good report, Miss Kim.” I referred to my notes as I continued to explain to her. “I’ll be going through the same things that Miss Ahn and I usually do and cross out what I can’t do. I’ll just try to figure out when we reach there”

“Hmm… Okay”

“We’re spying” I whispered, unable to suppress the tiny squeal of excitement that I let out.

When I glanced at Miss Kim to see if she approved of my plans, I noticed a small smile playing on her lips again. And I took that as a sign of approval.

 

“Good morning. Do you have any reservations?” the staff asked as we entered the restaurant.

“Kim Yongsun” Miss Kim answered.

I stayed hidden behind her. I have already started observing the place. I used my phone to take notes for now so I’ll be discreet. And because… we’re spying!

“Alright. Please follow me, mam”

The staff led us to a table in the middle of the restaurant but by the windows. Miss Kim and I sat across from each other and we could see the majority of the restaurant, which is really great. A waiter handed us the menu before he left us to give us time to pick.

When the coast was clear, I pulled out my notepad and started listing down my initial observations. I already counted the number of staff walking around when we got in. And having worked in a restaurant before, I’m sure there’s more staff in the kitchen. I don’t think I can get that so I’ll settle with just the waiters running around. And there’s also an open bar with one barista manning the bar.

“Miss Jung, you have to order now”

“I’ll just get what you’ll order for me, Miss Kim” I whispered absentmindedly, my attention still on my pen and notepad.

“Recommend something for me. This was on your list, right?”

“List?” I asked, looking at Miss Kim to figure out what she meant.

“Yes,” she said, which didn’t help. At the first second.

“Oh, the list” I whisper-shouted, maintaining a low voice. I looked at their menu, trying to familiarize myself with their food. “Yes. Their banchan is delicious here, Miss Kim. An unnie told me. The bo-yang too. And she said that the lamb is a must order. She wasn’t able to try their beef but she said they looked delicious. And then for dessert, she recommended the yuzu sorbet” I continued to whisper.

“Why are you whispering?” Miss Kim asked with a raised eyebrow.

I raised my index finger to my lips before looking around to see if someone noticed us.

“Are you shutting me up?” she asked, smirking with her eyes shining with delight.

Now, she’s making fun of me.

“No…” I cupped my lips with both of my hands before I whispered, “We have to whisper, Miss Kim, or else they’ll know why we’re here”

“They’ll know if we’re just whispering,” she countered.

I shook my head. “No. We’ll keep our voices down so they won’t hear us. And then when someone’s coming close, we can act as if nothing happened and talk in our normal voices”

“Why don’t we just talk in normal voices?” Miss Kim asked, her smirk turning into a full smile.

“That’s the whole deal about spying, Miss Kim. We can’t let anyone hear what we’re talking about. We have to keep our voices down”

“Okay. Whatever you like, Miss Jung” she agreed, leaning back on her chair to watch me carefully, amused and entertained.

She’s not playing her part as a spy! But fine, I’ll still give my best.

“You can also call me Wheein outside of the office, Miss Kim. For spying. They might wonder why we are so formal when addressing ourselves”

“Then call me Yongsun”

I vehemently shook my head this time, making her raise an eyebrow again. “I can’t do that”

“Why not?”

I raised one finger up and said, “You’re older than me.” I raised another finger. “You’re still my boss. It’s disrespectful.” I raised a third finger up. “I just can’t. It’s going to be awkward if I do that. I won’t be a successful spy if—”

“A waiter is coming” Miss Kim said, finally playing along which eventually dropped the subject.

Miss Kim ordered all the things that I told her earlier. White waiting, she asked me about the unnie who knew about this place, so I told her about Fanny-unnie and Taeyeon-unnie. The unnies who are also volunteers in the animal shelter.

When the food Miss Kim ordered wasn’t coming yet, I excused myself and went around to gather more information in the restaurant. I think I went to the restroom twice to write things down on my phone and then transfer it to my notepad. I only stopped when the food arrived.

“Let’s eat” Miss Kim.

“Yes. Go ahead, Miss Kim. Let me finish writing” I said, motioning for her to start eating while I continued working.

“You really have a… working when it’s… already” Miss Kim said but I missed some English words that I don’t know yet.

“Huh?” I asked, wanting for her to translate it.

She reached over the table and grabbed my notepad. She placed it on the corner of the table and motioned for me to hand her my pen.

I gave it to her. What’s the power of my pen without my notepad? So I grabbed my phone instead and started taking notes with it.

“Your phone too”

I pouted at her and shook my head, hugging my phone to my chest. “Let me take down notes first”

“Let’s eat first. Then you take down notes later”

“But…” I almost whined.

“Wheein” she said in a warning.

And because she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter