Chapter Sixteen

The Garden of Orange Butterflies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Beach time!”

Whoever shouted that, I felt the same joy and excitement as she did.

Miss Ahn finally got the vacation she wanted after we completed our biggest project this year so far. Weekend at the beach.

The twelve of us shared six house cottages. The rooms were occupied in pairs. Byulyi-unnie and I shared a room while Miss Kim and Ahn shared the room next to ours. It was supposed to be the four of us in one of the large house cottages but they didn’t want to hear horrors in the middle of the night.

Once we were all settled in our accommodations, everyone didn’t hesitate to hit the beach. There were others trying the rides while some laid under the shade of the palm trees.

Miss Kim, on the other hand, wanted to take me out to surf.

I already know I’m going to be bad at it even before I tried. My weakest skill is balancing. Surfing requires you to be impressive in balancing. I don’t even think I could sit on the board. Let alone stand on it.

“I’m bad at balancing. Don’t waste your time teaching me” I said lightheartedly.

We are still on the sand and she is giving me instructions on how to mount the board when I will be in the water. It already sounds difficult even before we hit the water.

“But at least give it a try”

“Later. I want to watch you first, unnie”

Upon my insistence, she sighed heavily and finally lifted her board.

“The waves aren’t that big. I don’t think I can show off” she said as she threw a wink at me.

Laughing, I pushed her forward at her cheesy remark. “Oh, just get on with it!”

While heading to the water, she glanced at me while waving her hand. “Eyes only at me, baby!”

“I will if you won’t fall!”

She secured the leash on her ankle first before hitting the water. It was when the water was around her waist that she got on her board, laying front first. She slowly paddled forward where there were big waves.

On a side note, she looks really good in her black two-piece bikini. Her constant visit at the gym has resulted in such a toned and muscular body.

Anyways…

As she was nearing the incoming wave, she easily got up on her knees before she stood up with ease.

I jumped and clapped and celebrated even just at that moment. I cheered for her and I hope she could hear me.

It was like she was one with the waves. The way she cruised with her surfboard made surfing look so easy. She controlled the board as if it’s connected to her feet. It was amazing.

She earned a lot of glances from the other guests in the resort. While she got loud cheers from our colleagues.

I was so proud of her for doing great and of myself because she’s my girlfriend.

I went to meet her halfway when she was going out of the water.

“How did I do?” she asked once we were standing in front of each other.

I gave her two thumbs up as I nodded sincerely. “You’re really amazing, unnie”

She somehow found this cute when I was trying to be sincere as she laughed and cupped my cheek on her hand. “Thank you. Now”—she held my hand and led walked us towards the water—“it’s your turn, baby”

“But I don’t know how to swim!” I argued but still allowed her to guide me.

“I got you. Don’t worry”

She said it so confidently that even when I still doubt myself, I just shut my mouth and trust her.

She helped me up on the board and told me to sit. I was holding her hand the entire time, afraid to let go and tumble. She laughed at how scared I was, which didn’t help my nervous heart.

I somehow convinced her to get on the board. And that’s what we did. We only cruise on the water by paddling. When the board suddenly rises from a big wave, I’d let go of paddling and hold onto the board for dear life. I’d squeal from fear and eventually, from delight if I survived.

Miss Kim behind me was just laughing and telling me not to be too scared.

I only heard her. I didn’t listen.

We almost toppled twice. But at a huge wave, my gut already told me I’ll fall.

And I did.

We both did.

I desperately swam out of the water as I cried for help. “Yongsunnie! Yong—” I coughed out water as I tried to swing my arms to pull myself up. “Yong!” I cried out of panic.

Suddenly, arms circled around my waist and held me tightly, keeping me afloat. I wrapped my arms around broad shoulders and my legs around thin waist. I continued to cry and cough out the water I accidentally drank from my total panic.

“Shh… It’s okay, darling. I got you. I told you I got you.” Miss Kim gently patted and rubbed my back while pressing kisses on the side of my face. “Please stop crying, Wheenie. I’ll never let you drown. Not in my sight”

My lungs and my throat still hurt but I managed to finally stop coughing. I snuggled my face on her neck and mumbled, “I don’t know how to swim, unnie”

“That’s why I’m right here”

“Can we go back to the shore?”

“Of course”

I felt her jaw clenching as she swam close to the land with me in her arms. Sensing how she’s having a difficult time, I asked, “Will it help if I move my feet too?”

She shook her head and offered a soft smile. “This is fine”

“The board?” I asked, eyes widening as I searched around for the surfboard.

I found it just more than an arm’s away from us.

“Don’t worry. It’s tied to my ankle.” She gave me a wide smile and winked at me, trying to make me feel calmer. “We’re near the shore, Whee”

I nodded at her before leaning my chin on her shoulder.

Miss Kim only let go of me to untie the board and carry it with one arm. She held my hand after and walked us to where our towels were. She let me sit as she dropped the board on the sand while I wore my glasses again. She asked a staff member for some water before she dried me. She stayed with me until I was calm.

We spent time chatting and watching everyone under the parasol.

“Unnie… If you want to surf, you can go. I’ll just watch you from here”

She shook her head before pulling me to sit in front of her. She then wrapped her arms around my waist in a back hug. And so we stayed there as she wanted.

After a while, Byulyi-unnie emerged from the reception building with a couple of things in her arms. She has a volleyball, a beach ball, a floater, and a snorkel. Chaein, Dosie, Ireh, and Yeri borrowed almost everything that Byulyi-unnie brought. She was only left with the volleyball.

She saw me and Miss Kim and waved us over. “Wheein-ah! Play with me. You can join too, Miss Kim”

After exchanging a glance, Miss Kim and I joined Byulyi-unnie on the beach volleyball court. We volleyed at first, which was fun until the competitive spirit awoke in me and suggested we should compete. I also had a brilliant idea that I whispered to Miss Kim before she went to look for Miss Ahn by the pool.

“Byulyi-unnie, it’s a bet and Yongsun-unnie already agreed. Whoever loses shall do the winning team a favor. This is your chance, unnie!” I whisper-shouted, jumping on my heels from excitement.

“What chance?” she asked, confused.

“Yongsunnie will ask Miss Ahn to join us. If we win, you can ask Miss Ahn out on a date later tonight”

Her eyes widened, head already shaking to disagree. “She doesn’t like me, remember?”

“She didn’t say that! If you won’t do it, I’ll ask Miss Ahn to go out with you. It wouldn’t be romantic, unnie! Just ask her!”

“But I’m nervous!”

“That’s normal!”

“I don’t have anything planned for tonight!” she whisper-shouted back, eyes widening, punctuating her every word.

“It doesn’t have to be grand. It’ll just be a simple dinner date. Take her around”

“What if she doesn’t agree?”

“That’s why we’re making a bet”

“Are you strategizing already? That’s kinda unfair” Miss Ahn suddenly.

Byulyi-unnie and I jumped away from each other, startled when we didn’t notice them coming in. I faked a laugh to cover our earlier conversation and to keep it cool too. Byulyi-unnie joined in but she was laughing at me.

“We’re going to bet, right? How much?” Miss Ahn asked while all three of us shouted our protest.

“Not how much, Jin-ah”

“Then what are we betting on?” she asked Miss Kim.

“Whoever loses shall grant the winners a favor” I explained, smiling from excitement before giggling when I locked eyes with Miss Kim.

She gave me a wink, making me giggle some more.

“Anything?” Miss Ahn asked.

“Anything” I clarified.

She haughtily smirked with arms akimbo. “I must say… Yongyong-unnie and I can win a volleyball match on an LA beach any day. Korea won’t be any different”

“We better start stretching then.” I slapped unnie’s arm before I started stretching my legs. “Stretch, unnie!”

“I ah… Oh, yeah!” She hurriedly followed me.

I scowled at unnie as I moved closer to her. “Don’t get distracted by Miss Ahn”

She blushed before casting her eyes downward.

Busted.

“Sorry… She’s just… You know”

“I know. Yongsunnie too but I wasn’t distracted. You know what…” I grabbed unnie’s shirt and pulled it up but she stopped me by holding her shirt down. “Take it off, unnie”

“What are you doing?”

“Show them your abs too so they get distracted”

“I don’t want to!”

“Take it off!”

“No!”

“Are you supposed to be teammates or what?”

We stopped arguing to glance at Miss Kim. Miss Ahn was also watching us. Both of them eyed us curiously with delighted glint in their eyes and a tiny smirk on their lips.

“Nothing. Wheeinie just wants to wipe her glasses when it’s perfectly clean already.” Byulyi-unnie then gave me an obvious fake smile while also glaring at me. “Hands off. Let’s just win the match. Focus, Wheein-ah”

“I should be the one saying that.” I glared at her back before finally letting go. I faced our opponents with clear determination. “How many rounds? What rules are we applying?”

The regular rules for beach volleyball were applied. Wendy-unnie and Joy saw us at the court and volunteered to officiate the game. The rest of our colleagues dropped what they were doing to watch us.

We played for three sets. The team who wins two sets shall win the game.

Miss Kim and Miss Ahn won the first set. I blamed Byulyi-unnie for why we lost. She said it was just a practice round when it was already an official round. I think she intentionally did it because she was smiling so hard at hearing Miss Ahn’s squeals when they won the set.

The other two sets were, of course, won by us. Miss Ahn and Miss Kim could win a volleyball game at LA any day but Byulyi-unnie and I could win a university volleyball match. We’re not our university’s starting players but we trained then.

We tried out to bet too back then until it suddenly got serious. It was harder to backout and the coach wouldn’t allow us. So we played with the same determination to win but not as passionate as our teammates who got scouted. And that is why we’re not the starting players.

At the shot that earned us the last point to win, I screamed in delight before throwing myself at Byulyi-unnie. We hugged each other while jumping around to celebrate our victory.

“You still got it in you, Wheein-ah!” She ruffled my hair before we high five.

“Unnie, your dive was awesome!” You copied her dive without actually going to the sand while animatedly telling her what happened. “And then the spike, unnie! The spike was really great too!”

We were still celebrating when Miss Kim grabbed our attention.

“So…” she started, waiting for us to quiet down. “What do you want?” she asked.

I glanced at Byulyi-unnie before giving her a nod. “Do it, unnie”

“Oh, this is about the favor, right?” Miss Ahn asked. “You purposely left out that you actually played professionally before, didn’t you?”

Although the words were like she was scolding us, we could tell she wasn’t from the amused smile on her face.

“Shall I?” Byulyi-unnie whispered beside me.

I didn’t answer her anymore and just pushed her closer to the net where Miss Ahn was standing close.

Miss Kim went under the net to get to me. She placed her arm around my waist and whispered her congratulations before we watched the two have a stare down.

“Hyejin-ah” Byulyi-unnie called.

Miss Ahn was surprised at first for being called casually before her eyes softened, seemingly understanding what’s about to happen.

“Take a bath. Clean up”

I hit my forehead with my palm and I shook my head from disappointment. I could hear Miss Kim giggling beside me.

“She’s just nervous, my dear. Give her some slack”

“Put on that white dress I told you would look best on the beach. I know you packed that”

Miss Ahn’s eyebrows furrowed as she stared at Byulyi-unnie with confusion. “What are you talking about? Your favor is a fashion suggestion? And did you just imply that I don’t wash properly?”

I smacked myself the second time while Miss Kim couldn’t hold herself from laughing so loud.

“Be ready by six—No, seven! Be ready by seven. I’ll pick you up at your room”

“What?”

“I’m taking you out on a date, Hyejin-ah, and you can’t say no. Bye!”

Right after she said goodbye, she ran away going in our room’s direction, leaving a perplexed Miss Ahn. When she was somewhere far away, she started running backwards. From a few distance, I could see the widest grin I ever saw on her face before it got hidden when she cupped her lips.

“I did it, Wheein-ah! Yoohoo!” Then she continued running forwards, jumping every now and then with her arms raised so high. “I’m taking my crush out on a date. Thanks for the help!”

And then she disappeared somewhere as she continued to head to our room.

Miss Ahn was finally out of stupor. A laugh bubbled out from deep in her chest. It started with a soft giggle until it became a laugh she couldn’t control. She couldn’t even open her eyes anymore. One hand holding her stomach while the other shyly covered the joy we could still see on her lips. She was bent over as she continued to laugh uncontrollably.

“Jinnie-ah, are you okay?” Miss Kim asked.

Miss Ahn nodded, still unable to regain composure. It took her quite a while and she had to take several huge breaths. Her laughter eventually died down but it reduced her to a crying mess as she wiped the corners of her eyes.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter