Chapter Nine

The Garden of Orange Butterflies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Miss Kim and I were just dating. We were never in an official relationship. And in the duration that we were, I was falling for her so fast. And I think that’s the reason why it hurts so badly.

It was too optimistic of me to think but I wanted to keep what we had forever. I felt comfortable around her. I could say anything. She let me have so much freedom. She listens to everything and even makes an effort to take me out to places where she thinks I’ll like.

As I said, it was perfect.

Too perfect.

When I called off everything between us, everyone noticed how my mood shifted. When I went to the shelter for the weekend, they noticed how down I was. When I went back to work, they also noticed how I was so quiet and that I only came by myself. No Miss Kim walking with me. By lunch, they all figured out something happened between me and Miss Kim.

“Wheein-ah, you know you can tell us anything, right? Not for gossip but to help you feel better” Seulgi-unnie said one time during lunch.

The rest of my colleagues were also nodding and smiling at me encouragingly.

“Thank you” I responded, grateful for them.

I appreciate how they respected my privacy and let me have my time for myself.

Byulyi-unnie and I also talked at home. I told her everything that happened and she was very mad at Miss Kim, which is understandable. She told me not to talk to Miss Kim anymore. She even told me that I can leave the company if I’m too uncomfortable and she’d be willing to support me as I look for another job.

The last one was already too much and I told her I can still work at the company. Though it will be uncomfortable.

In the end, she said she’s willing to support whatever decisions I make.

And I decided that I don’t want to talk to Miss Kim about personal stuff anymore. That I’d like to strictly stick to work only. I’m still too hurt about what happened to us. A break in that department is what I needed.

It’s not also surprising that Miss Kim wanted to talk to me as soon as I got back to work.

I was busy with work when the entire room had suddenly gone quiet. The soft buzz and murmurs from my colleagues were replaced by eerie silence. And a clacking of heels on the floor going my way.

“Wheein”

I looked up from the computer screen and saw Miss Kim standing across from me.

We had a few seconds of tense staredown. This raised the tension in the room and I could feel everyone holding their breaths.

And those brown eyes that I used to admire, I frowned on them now. I couldn’t help it when I’m reminded of how she only sees me as her past lover with them.

“Yes, Miss Kim? Is there anything you want me to work on?”

She sighed heavily and stepped closer to me before leaning forward. “Can I talk to you?” she whispered, not wanting the others to hear.

“Of course”

“Really?” she asked, surprised. “Uhm… should we head to my office first?” She asked with a hopeful smile. “We can have privacy there”

“Oh, is it not related to work?” I asked genuinely.

I wouldn’t be agreeing if it’s not related to work. I’m trying to be as professional as I can even though it hurts to see Miss Kim and be reminded of how we were.

Her eyebrows went up and then she furrowed them before they relaxed but she’s frowning at me now.

It’s amazing how her eyebrows moved to convey her emotions. I was fascinated by them too. I kept watching her eyebrows move then. How it would somehow soften her eyes or look intense from concentration. Again, fascinating.

“No… Let me explain, Whee” she said softly, begging.

“I’m afraid it’s still time for work, Miss Kim. I’m paid to do my job at this hour. I think I should be doing that now”

“On your break then?” she asked, eyes hopeful again.

I looked away, unable to hold her gaze anymore. “I don’t think we should, Miss Kim”

“Wheein…”

After blinking a few times, I tried to look at her again so she’ll know I was sincere. “I would appreciate it if we stop talking beyond work. Or even meeting beyond work. I will still work hard as yours and Miss Ahn’s secretary but I’m afraid I have to draw a line, Miss Kim”

Her jaw clenched as she gulped hard. She felt so dejected and lost and I felt so bad saying those words as I looked at her. She was at loss for words for a moment. The longer she was silent, the more I felt guilty.

But she hurt me… I think I deserve more than just filling in for someone in her life. I can’t be that. She clearly hasn’t moved on from Gabby and that’s bad news. Always bad news.

I admit, I wanted to know what happened to them but fulfilling my curiosity won’t do me anything good. So I tried not to be too curious.

“Okay,” Miss Kim said after some time. “Okay. I’m sorry. And you’re right. Work hours should be dedicated to work. I’ll leave you to your work then, Miss Jung”

We’re back to honorifics.

She stared at me for a while before quickly leaving the office. She’s probably heading for the garden. She always does if she’s not heading out for work.

I went back to work, blinking several times to stop myself from crying.

Miss Kim ultimately stopped talking to me after that. I could still sense her looking at me, just like when I arrived at the company. When I caught her looking, she’d look away and hastily find something else to do. She couldn’t hold my gaze like before.

I used to be one who’d look away.

Miss Kim didn’t talk to me but she didn’t say she wouldn’t try indirectly talking to me. And for that, she used Miss Ahn.

It was the first time that we had lunch with our two bosses in the cafeteria. Normally, we could only eat with them during company dinners or trips. But this time, Miss Kim dragged a complaining Miss Ahn into the cafeteria.

She let Miss Ahn sit on the table right next to ours while she sat across from her. On the chair beside mine. She brought their lunch packages and opened them while Miss Ahn threw daggers on Miss Kim through her eyes. Miss Kim ignored them all.

We already know what’s going on the moment they enter the cafeteria together. And for that, everyone was quiet. The air was thick around us. And I think everyone was uncomfortable, apart from Miss Kim who heartily ate her lunch.

Miss Ahn’s awkward laugh broke the silence in the room. “How’s everyone’s weekend?” she asked out of nowhere. Before anyone could answer, Miss Ahn added, “Wheein, how’s yours?”

“Oh… Ah… I spent my weekend at the shelter. I volunteer at an animal shelter, Miss Ahn”

“Yes, I’ve heard. How are the pitbulls?”

“The pitbulls are playful as usual. Cali and Charlie are still loud and Joey is still the sweetest boy” I responded with a smile.

The fur babies helped me lift up my mood over the weekend. They sensed how down I was without me saying anything so they were extra playful. Amethyst even gave me a hug and a nudge on my cheek with her nose, which I counted as progress.

“I see… And did Ave cover your face with too?”

At the mention of a name, I’m starting to realize what was happening then.

I stared at Miss Ahn for a second before glancing at Miss Kim. Our eyes met and she instantly looked away, suddenly coughing hard and hurriedly drinking some water to clear her pipe.

I returned to Miss Ahn and saw the apologetic smile she has on, eyes begging for understanding. “Yes, she did. She always did”

Miss Ahn smiled sincerely this time before she frowned. “That’s nice. I always wanted to have pets but seeing that I’m allergic, I can’t live with them”

I felt bad for her. I can’t imagine having to live life without being able to enjoy the company of a pet.

“You’re allergic to their furs, right?”

“Yes”

“How about adopting a pet that doesn’t have any fur?” I suggested.

“I haven’t thought of that. Any suggestion then?”

“Turtles can be great pets. They’re quiet and they’re low-maintenance. You might be shocked at having to enjoy the company of a turtle. They’re interesting and funny too. Oh! And ah... you might’ve to keep an eye on them if they accidentally flip on their shells”

“Hmm… I’ll take that in consideration”

“Birds also! They have feathers and not furs so maybe you’re okay with that”

Miss Ahn nodded along, seriously considering my recommendations.

I’m glad I was able to help and the conversation somehow lightened the mood in the cafeteria. I went back to eating. I’m still fully aware of the presence beside me but not as conscious as earlier.

“Ow!” Miss Ahn suddenly shrieked, gathering our attention. “Unnie, wha—”

There was a silent exchange between Miss Ahn and Miss Kim as they glared at each other.

After a while, Miss Ahn rolled her eyes before meeting my gaze with a bashful smile and a nervous chuckle. “Any great news at the shelter, Wheein?”

I stared at Miss Kim again in disbelief. She really found a loophole on what I wanted. I’m not exactly mad at this but I feel bad for Miss Ahn at having to sacrifice herself.

“There is, actually,” I told Miss Ahn.

The tteokbokki stopped midway to Miss Kim’s waiting mouth.

“Bridget, our jindo rescue, is officially adopted. She’ll be on her way to her forever home this Wednesday. And the family who adopted Bridget called their cousin when they saw Luther. Luther is our labrador retriever rescue. He’d be coming to Seoul this week to see Luther since he lives in Jeju. He has a potential forever home as of the moment”

“That’s great news, Whee!”

We all turned to Miss Kim, surprised when she suddenly spoke.

She was also surprised that she couldn’t hold herself back. She blinked at me and at everyone else in the cafeteria. When Miss Ahn giggled, that’s when she snapped back to reality.

She suddenly stood up, startling all of us. “Sorry. I—” She grabbed her chopsticks, water bottle, and bowl of tteokbokki. “Hyejin-ah,” she said, nodding at Miss Ahn. Then she did the same towards our general direction before moving out of her chair. “Excuse me, everyone”

Miss Ahn started packing both their lunch packages while still giggling at Miss Kim. “I better go to her. Please continue having your lunch”

When she was out of the door, Yeri started laughing too. Then Joy followed. And soon all of them were laughing. I didn’t join them but I couldn’t help but smile as I continued eating lunch.

“I guess they were only curious about your weekend, Wheein” Nayeon teased.

And they started laughing again while I shook my head, still smiling as I finished my lunch.

 

Miss Kim never dragged Miss Ahn anymore to join us for lunch. But I think she still asks Miss Ahn to ask me her questions because Miss Ahn still asks me personal questions at work. Or maybe that was just my assumption.

I’d still caught her staring at me. That happens every time we are in the same room. My colleagues have stopped teasing me to Miss Kim. But they never stopped asking me what happened.

I don’t want to talk about it so I never told them. I might cry again.

Like right now. She’s sitting across from me on the conference table. Miss Ahn was at the head of the table while the rest of my colleagues were on their seats too. I deliberately avoid her eyes and would only look at her when she’s talking. And when she does, she looks to the others.

Basically, we’re avoiding each other. I don’t know if I could keep up with this since I’m the one who wanted it. But Byulyi-unnie was confident that I’ll be able to work with Miss Kim without being too awkward. Sooyoung-unnie from the shelter suggested that talking about what happened might help take away the awkwardness but I’m not ready for that.

We’re having a company meeting to synchronize the departments: IT, PR, logistics and marketing, and finance for the budget. We have always done this at the end of the month or before the contract starts.

“Are there any more questions?” Miss Ahn asked.

There were murmurs of ‘no’ while others shook their heads.

“Okay. That’s it. Meeting for the contract will be at the start of next month, April. We’ll start the project right after. We have about three days to finalize everything before the meeting so we’ll be a bit busy. I’ll be looking forward to going to the beach once this project is finished. Right, unnie?” Miss Ahn asked Miss Kim with a mischievous grin while playfully wiggling her eyebrows.

“Hyejin-ah…” Miss Kim whispered, “we haven’t even officially started yet and all you can think is vacation?”

“But we’re going to the beach after this one, right?”

Miss Kim sighed heavily as she stared at the taunting grin on Miss Ahn’s face. “Okay…” Miss Kim said defeatedly.

And everyone at the table celebrated. I giggled at everyone but also at Miss Kim’s inability to say no to Miss Ahn. Miss Ahn was the happiest among us with her tiny dance and tiny clap.

“You heard that. We better work hard on this. It’s our biggest project this year”

“Yes, mam!”

“Alright. Meeting adjourned.” Miss Ahn turned to me and said, “Wheein, the minutes please”

“Yes, mam”

Everyone gathered their things and was ready to leave the conference room. While I remained seated as I cleared my notes before disseminating it to everyone. I heard them calling my name but I didn't understand what they were saying. I only hummed, too focused on my notes.

It was only when I was done that I noticed the room was already empty except for the seat opposite to me. It was also the first time our eyes met.

“I stayed because I have something to say” Miss Kim started before I could make my leave.

Is this the talk that Sooyoung-unnie said?

I nodded at Miss Kim.

She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter