Prologue

The Garden of Orange Butterflies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I huffed a breath out as I grabbed my phone from my pocket. Despite already heaving, I smiled when I saw Byulyi-unnie calling me.

“Unnie!” I answered, fixing my bag on my shoulder so it wouldn’t slip.

“Where are you now?”

“Climbing up the set of stairs”

“Why didn’t you take the elevator?” Byulyi-unnie asked, hearing both worry and a little frustration in her voice.

“I saw the stairs first. I couldn’t find the elevator.” I glanced on my watch and said, “I’m still on time”

“I’m waiting outside the waiting room. Meet me here, okay?”

“Okay! Almost there!”

My contract in my last gig as a kitchen assistant has already ended. They never renewed my contract because Mrs. Gim found someone who’s more fit in the kitchen than me. I never argued because she gave me a bonus when I left to find another job. Again.

I’ve been living on my own since I moved here in Seoul to pursue art. Unfortunately, it’s hard to find work as an art major so I resorted to whatever job I can get. Sometimes, it’s enough to fund my bills and some other things. Other times, it gets a little tough.

And right now, it was very tough that Mom suggested I go back home and just help her run her cafe in Jeonju. I’d love to help my mother but I still can’t leave Seoul. The shelter is here. Art is here too. My friends are here.

Due to my stubbornness, I got kicked out of my apartment and had to live in Byulyi-unnie’s apartment. And now she’s helping me find work. I’m about to have an interview for said work.

As I rounded the corner, I found my very close friend, who treats me as her younger sister, standing with her arms crossed and a crease forming in between her brows.

“Unnie!”

That grabbed her attention.

I ran to her with my arms ready to wrap her in a tight hug.

“Right on time” she whispered, coughing when my hug knocked the breath out of her. “Wheein-ah…” she reprimanded, still chuckling as she returned my hug.

“Why do you need to meet me, unnie?” I asked, glancing up at her as I leaned my chin on her chest.

She’s a couple inches taller than me but my legs were bent down, making her look way taller than me. She’s an unnie I looked up to and I’m taking this literally with our hugs.

She smiled down at me as she fixed my glasses and gently ruffled my hair in an endearing way. “I just wanted to wish you good luck.” She pinched my cheek next while I continued to smile at her. “You can do this okay?”

“Are they scary? They’re Americans, right?”

“Korean-Americans” she corrected.

“Okay… but I only know very little English”

“Both Miss Ahn and Miss Kim speak Korean. It’s obvious in their accents that they’re not native Koreans but you can still understand them. They look serious and somehow intimidating—”

“Ah! Then they are scary” I stood up straight as I pouted at her, leaning back a little to look at Byulyi-unnie better.

She chuckled softly and patted my cheek. “You’re charming, Wheein-ah. You can charm your way through their hearts. And if you really get scared, especially at Miss Kim, you can look at Miss Ahn more. She smiles more often between the two”

“Okay. Thank you for the reminders, unnie”

She smiled and winked at me, pinching my cheek once more. “Straighten up. You need to look presentable”

I did as I was told. I straightened my shirt and coat while Byulyi-unnie helped me with my hair that she destroyed. Then we took a selfie together using unnie’s phone to cheer me up.

“You can do this, Wheein” Byulyi-unnie cheered.

I raised my fist up and nodded with determination. “Yes, unnie. I will never fail you”

She hugged me one last time before patting my shoulder. “Now, wait inside. They’ll be calling your names”

Byulyi-unnie opened the door for me and let me in. She cheered for me one last time before closing the door behind me.

The room was filled with so many applicants. There’s probably more than ten of us here. I was expecting about five of us since our profiles were already screened. Also, both the CEOs of the company, who are also its founders, are the ones interviewing us. I did not think that they’re willing to take so much of their time just to hire a secretary.

I smiled and greeted the other applicants and even wished them good luck. They only spared me a glance and never bothered to respond. It doesn’t bother me but maybe I bothered them so I just hurriedly looked for an empty chair to sit on.

Reading the room’s energy, everyone is so tense so I pulled my earphones from my bag and decided to listen to some music. I left my other ear open just in case they’ll be calling my name.

While I was looking for a job in the streets of Seoul, Byul-unnie called to tell me that her bosses are looking for a secretary. I worked as a hotel receptionist before and I think that’s the closest job I got to being a secretary. I still gave this a try after hearing that Byul-unnie put in a good word for me to her bosses.

I don’t want to let her down.

My name was called third. The first two finished their interview in less than three songs. I put my earphones back in my bag and pushed my glasses up on the bridge of my nose. I quickly fixed myself before following the employee whose name is Wendy. I think she’s also a Korean-American but she speaks Korean so fluently.

She looks so friendly and she smiles quite a lot, which eases how nervous I was. It also somehow calms down the tension I felt in the waiting room earlier.

“This way, Miss Jung. Miss Kim and Miss Ahn will be waiting for you” Wendy said with a welcoming smile once again, opening the door for me. “Good luck” she whispered.

I smiled back and bowed at her. “Thank you, Miss Son”

As I entered the room, I finally saw the two CEOs. Both of their presence are so intimidating that I hesitated walking further in the room. But I remembered Byulyi-unnie’s cheer and trust for me and even Miss Son’s well wishes. I smiled at them and walked to the seat intended for me.

Byulyi-unnie mentioned that Miss Ahn is the one with tan skin with deep blue hair while Miss Kim has dark hair. Right now, Miss Ahn is the one on my right with my portfolio. Miss Kim is on my left. She’s reading something from a tablet.

I bowed at the two founders. “Good morning, Miss Ahn and Miss Kim”

Both looked up from whatever they were reading. I gulped hard as I felt the intensity of their gazes. Still I smiled and tried not to show how my nervousness escalated.

“Miss Jung?”

I nodded. “Yes, Miss Ahn”

The two were so quiet and I could feel how my smile went from sincere to forced.

Miss Ahn had her brows furrowed at me before she glanced at her co-founder. Miss Kim’s eyes stayed on mine.

I’d try to meet her gaze but it was so hard to maintain eye contact. I’d only glance at her from time to time and rested my eyes on Miss Ahn longer, as what Byulyi-unnie suggested.

Miss Ahn started speaking English while Miss Kim would only respond in a hum. I have no idea what they were talking about as my knowledge of the language is very limited. I only caught Miss Ahn saying Yongsun-unnie since I know that’s Miss Kim’s name.

A few minutes in and I’m still standing in the middle of the room. The two of them are talking in a language I don’t know as if I wasn’t there. This doesn’t sound so good.

The scariest part, Miss Kim is still staring at me. I don’t think she likes me at all.

I’m still not yet done. I can still do this. I don’t want to fail Byulyi-unnie.

After a few moments, Miss Ahn addressed me again and told me to sit down.

I placed my bag down on the floor beside my chair and sat up straight. I gulped hard when I felt how dry my throat was and then tried to maintain my smile.

“Good mor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter