Break a Leg

Happy Accident

Their days pass by like that, with them texting and calling each other.  Well, more texting, as Yongsun got busy with preparing for the musical, and Byulyi focused more on training and practice for the tournament.

 

It was easy.  It is easy.  They talk to each other like they've been friends for years.  And despite their many chats, they never ran out of things to talk about.

 

It should be scary, but it’s not.  However, neither of them brought it up to each other.  They both internally resolve to talk about it in person.

 

And it is something to talk about.  They can’t just continue pretending this easiness doesn't exist.  No matter how annoyed they are of Wheein’s and Hyejin’s teasing, their friendship is quickly developing, and they should, at least, get a hold of it before the media does.  They’re both aware just how destructive the media rumor mill can be.

 

But today, they’ll put those out of their mind.  Today is the start of the tournament.

 

BREAK A LEG 

WAIT NO 

THAT”S A THEATER SAYING

DO NOT BREAK ANY LEG

GRAB SOME STICKS BREAK SOME BALLS 

WAIT THAT CAME OUT WRONG

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN

 

Byulyi laugh, feeling a bit less nervous as she reads Yongsun’s texts.  All her friends and family have been texting her and wishing her well, but Yongsun text is what eases her mind.

 

I’ll try to come back with two legs 

 

Don’t just try

DO 

I’m cheering for you!

We are all cheering for you!

 

Oh god pressure…

 

Relax youd be great

Even if you dont win, being there is like a huge feat

But you will win

So no worries

 

Well

You did say you have a special treat for me

So I intend to win ;)

 

See??

You have it in you to be greasy at a time like this!

You’ll be fine

You’d kick their asses

 

There is no kicking in golf

We’re a gentlewomanly sport

 

Sooo…

passively aggressively insult each other behind compliments?

 

HAHAH 

Yes.

 

Ha! 

Ah i have to go Byul-ah

Hwaiting!

I’ll be following on breaks! 

 

Okay, good luck with your rehearsal!

Break your leg!

 

It’s Break A leg

A

Not your

 

So you can break other people’s leg? 

That sounds mean.

 

:P 

 

Byulyi shook her head, before putting her phone away, feeling much more at ease now.  Yeah, she got this.  Yongsun is right, even if she doesn’t win, being here is great enough already.

 

So Byulyi got ready to head out, determine to win, but happy even if she doesn't’.  No need to stress over it.

 

—--------

Yongsun’s rehearsal went great! This was probably the best rehearsal she had since starting.  She got all her lines right, all her cues correct, her acting is on point, and even her unconscious reaction is ‘brilliant’ according to one of the director.  

 

She kept checking in on golf whenever there’s a break, but she really didn’t have to.  The TV in the break room has been on and showing the live broadcast of the tournament.

 

Throughout the day, Byulyi been in 2nd place, which is really good! Yongsun hope she wins but 2nd place is still silver.

 

On her way home, she found out that Byulyi won the tournament!  Making her the first person ever to win 4 times at the US open.  Literally, while her manager was driving her home, the electronic billboard literally changes from ads, to congratulations to Byulyi.  

 

She sees people on the street stop walking and start cheering.  Everyone is super proud of the golfer.

 

Yongsun took out her phone, “Unnie can you drive slowly?  I want to record this!”

 

She recording the reaction of those on the street, cheering at the billboard displaying her history making win, then sent it to the girl.

 

CONGRATULATIONS 

I KNOW YOU COULD DO IT 

LOOK

EVERYONE IS SUPER HAPPY

YOU DID THIS 

 

Just then, her phone rang: call from Byulyi.

 

She picked up and without even saying hello, she want straight into congratulating her, 

 

‘BYULYI CONGRATULATIONS! WOOOOHHH  I”M SO PROUD’

 

‘Thanks!  I wanna ask you something.’

 

‘Yeah?’

 

‘How was your rehearsal today?’

 

‘What?  Forget about that, today is about you!’

 

‘No, just - entertain me please?’

 

‘Fine, only because you just made history!   Rehearsal went great!  It was the best rehearsal i've had, like, probably ever.’

 

‘I see.  Well, You’re welcome.’

 

‘Huh?’ 

 

‘I broke a leg. Well.. my leg.  I broke my leg.’

 

Yongsun blinks, her brain slowly processing that information.

 

Byulyi simply let her, the phone line going silent for about 15 seconds, before:

 

‘Oh my god!  Seriously?  Like, for real??  You’re lying!’

 

‘Noooo i’m not,’ the golfer whine and in a childlike tone, asks, ‘wanna see?”

 

‘Yes!’

 

A second later, Yongsun receive a new text.  It’s an image of Byulyi in the hospital sitting on a bed, with one of her leg in a cast, and she’s holding her trophy, and giving the camera pout. 

 

‘You got it?’

 

‘Yaahh… what happened?’

 

‘Well… I wanted unnie to have a great rehearsal so I broke my leg.  I tried to break someone else’s leg first but no one let me so…’

 

Yongsun huff out a little chuckle, deciding to play along,  ‘were you polite in asking people if you can break their legs?’

 

‘I’m supposed to ask?’

 

‘See what being rude does?  Next time, try asking.’

 

Byulyi laugh, ‘okay unnie, next time, i’ll go up and ask people if i can break their legs.’

 

‘Yes please do that, my rehearsal was really amazing today.’

 

‘And if no one lets me?’

 

‘You have two legs, no?’

 

‘Unnie!’ The younger one whine over the phone to Yongsun’s laughter.

 

‘No but seriously what happened?’

 

‘Ah - I was walking back to my hotel room when i slip and fell.’

 

‘Oh my god.  At least it was after you the tournament.’

 

‘Right?  And tournament season is done.  I can actually rest.’

 

“Congrats!  When are you coming back?’

 

‘Hm…ive been booked for a few shows, so I’m heading back in a few days.’

 

‘Cool! What shows?’

 

‘You know i can’t say anything,’

 

‘Aawww please?’ Yongsun add a little whine to it. 

 

‘Nope.’

 

Yongsun pouted when suddenly she had an idea.  She video call Byul, who immediately picked up.

 

“Unnie! Hi! Wanna see my leg?”  

 

Without even giving her a chance to reply, Byul turn the camera to show off her cast,

 

 “Look at it!” She exclaimed with childlike glee. 

 

“Yes, i see it.  You sound very happy.” 

 

“Seeing your face makes me happy.” 


“AAAHHH GREASY”

 

“Hahahha you’re so cute Unnie!”

 

Yongsun can only shake her head in amusement.  

 

“So what’s up?’  Byul ask once she calmed down.

 

“What show are you going to be on?”

 

“Unnie i can’t tell you that.”

 

“Please?” 

 

“Nope.”

 

Yongsun then pull out her weapon, something a lot of her friends can't resist, she crush her cheeks with her hand, and cutely ask “Please?”

 

Except it didn’t work.  Byul made a disgusted face. Which, honestly, that kinda hurt.  Yongsun dropped it immediately.

 

“Sorry unnie…” Byul felt bad for not being able to control her face, “i really hate aegyo”

 

“Oh…”

 

“But you have cute cheeks!  I wanna pinch it, cna i?  When i’m back?”   

 

There it is again, the childlike wonder.  Yongsun is beginning to wonder if she’s on some really good pain killer drugs. And Yongsun, well, she speaks her mind.

 

“Are you on drugs?”

 

“Wha -  no?  Do i sound like i am?”

 

“Yes.”

 

The younger one pout.  

 

“Unnie~ mean.  Maybe i’m high on winning!” 

 

“Okay sure.  Oh hey, i just got home.  Let me call you back?”

 

“Ah right it’s late, you should rest unnie, didn’t mean to keep you.”

 

“You didn’t, and you should rest too, you’re the one with the broken leg.”

 

Byulyi tease, “I’m fine you should rest, you’re older.” 

 

“Aiish if anything you youngster should rest.”

 

“I’m young and filled with energy.”

 

“That’s why you broke your leg.  Too much energy.  Go to sleep.”

 

Byulyi pouted, “Fine i know when i’m not wanted.”

 

“Yes you’re totally unwanted, you record breaking golfer.”

 

“That sounds nice, say it again.”

 

“COCKY!”

 

“CONFIDENCE!” Byulyi retort back with humor.  

 

“AISH good night!”

 

Byulyi gave a cute smile and greasily reply, “Good night unnie, wait for me in your dream.”

 

“Disgusting.”  

 

“Wait for -”

 

Yongsun hangs up.  

 

Immediately, Byulyi texted her.

 

Rude :( 

Text me when you’re in?

^_^ 

 

Shaking her head, she finally got ready to get of the car.  Her poor manager was just sitting in the parking lot waiting for her to get off so she can go home.

 

“You guys seem close.”  Her manager commented as yongsun put her stuff away.

 

“Yeah it’s kinda weird since we just meet, but we vibe together you know?”

 

“Vibe?”  

 

“It’s what all the cool kids are saying now, to mean connect.”

 

“And you think you’re cool?”

 

“Yes!  I’m super cool! So cool, i’m chillin.”

 

“Uh…. just go home kid.”

 

“Fine fine.  See you tomorrow Unnie!” 

 

Upon reaching her apartment, she messaged Byul.

 

I’m inside now!  Why do you want to know?

Dont call me! Go rest!

 

Just wanted to make sure you got in safe :) 

Good night unnie!!

 

Oh.  If Yongsun blush and smile like a creep over that sweet gesture, no one has to know.