What just happened?

Happy Accident

Yongsun refused to look at her phone until she got back home.  She spent the whole time thinking about what to do.  Should she bring it up? Or just play it off, like it’s normal? 

 

What to do. What to do.  

 

When she got home, she decided to not check her phone.  Rather, she took a long bath.  She tried to make it relaxing but her mind refused to slow down.  Then, she made dinner, slowly, from scratch.  She basically did everything she can to delay needing to use her phone.  It wasn’t until she’s in bed, almost 2 in the morning, that she checked the phone.

 

Lots of miss calls from her manager.  Unread messages from her friends. Oh.  A text from Byulyi.

 

Taking a deep breath, she open up the message.

 

When I win, I'll hold you to that! 

 

Oh whew.  She really appreciates Byulyi throwing her a lifeline here, and not making it a big deal, while also acknowledging it.

 

When you win?  You’re quite cocky.

 

She was about to close out the app and check her emails, but paused when she see the three dots, indicating Byulyi saw the message and is replying.

 

Nah, this ain’t cocky, this is confidence.   

 

LOL you’re just proving my point 

 

Well….   

 

Yongsun stare at her phone, waiting for a follow up text, but the three dots kept disappearing, only to reappear.  Unable to take it anymore, she text back.

 

???? 

I got the support of the great Solar. I can be cocky right?       

 

Yongsun felt her face heating up.  Is this…what is this? Is she flirting? No, no, she’s just getting ahead of herself.  Byulyi wouldn’t be flirting with her, especially not over that deastorous first meeting.  She’s just being nice.

 

Thank you, but I’m not ‘the great Solar’ 

 

Hm?  Tell that to all your trophies and album records.   

 

I don’t speak with inanimate objects.

 

The singer dropped her phone, because what the f was that stupid reply.  She’s normally not this socially inept. 

 

            LOL i have a feeling you do       

I guess I’ll find out during our dinner date :)    

 

There’s nothing to find out 

    I’m a sane person 

 

I heard that only insane people stay awake past midnight       

 

Yeah

TYPO

I mean “YAH”

 

Ah your subconscious is agreeing with me        

 

    Hush you 

    It’s late 

    My eyes are tired, i missed type

 

Excuses excuses 

 

Yongsun smile widely, having a great time texting with Byulyi, even if she’s being teased right now.  There’s a warmthness that’s spreading through her, but she put it down as happiness that Byulyi is looking past her un-professionalism and accepting her apology.

 

    If that’s true, aren’t you also insane? 

 

Of course I am    

Never said i’m not    

Solar-shi, do you need to rest your brain too?   

    Well 

 

Suddenly, a thought occur to her.  She want Byulyi to call her unnie.  She’s not sure why, but she have a feeling she’s going to want to stay in the golfer’s life for a long time.  So let’s get rid of the formality for now.

 

    Dont need to be so formal 

    Just call me unnie

 

Unnie? Aren’t you younger than me? 

 

I’m older! 

You don’t know?

You seem to know my awards but not my age 

Are you even a fan? 😭

 

She inserted a cute emoji to make sure Byulyi knows she’s not really angry.

 

But…

You look so young! 

Your face is so youthful! 

There’s no way! 

Let me see your birth certificate

 

Yongsun shyness at the compliment turn into laughter with the last message. She tries to stifle her laughing as to not wake up her sister in the next room.  Her sister get really cranky without her full sleep.

 

You can just google 

Why do you need my birth certificate

 

Internet is unreliable 

I need concrete proof

 

Well you’re gonna have to ask my mom

I don’t have it 

 

☹️

Sad 

This is me sad 

Go get it

Please 

 

Okay sure i’ll just go tell my mom that a golfer needs my birth certificate

She’ll be totally fine with that 

 

Why wouldn’t she? 

I’m very popular with the older ladies :) 

 

    COCKY 

 

CONFIDENCE

 

    Whatever you say 

But honestly 

I totally think you’ll bring home another trophy    

 

Thank you i hope i don't disappoint 

Hahaha my coach would kill me if he knows i’m not sleeping yet 

 

Why aren't you? 

 

Thinking too much i guess

What about you? 

 

Ah you should try meditating

And i was checking work emails

 

I can’t meditate

I’d just fall asleep 

Wait 

Omg 

You’re a genius Unnie

 

Thank you, i’m glad you see how awesome i am 

And you call me unnie! 

Believe me now? 

 

Only old people check their work emails outside of work

But you should sleep too

It’s late 

 

    What?  

    That’s not true??

    Plenty of people check their emails 

 

Whatever you say unnie… 

Ah but let’s talk tomorrow?

Really need to get some rest in for early practice tomorrow

 

Yeah you should rest!  You got tournaments coming up!
When is your practice? 

 

7 bright and early 

 

Yah!  That’s like less than 5 hours from now!

SLEEP 

GOOD NIGHT 

 

Good night :) 

Boomer 

 

YAAAAHHHHH 

 

Yongsun can’t help but smile, like she’s a kid texting her crush for the first time.  Wait…what? Crush?  No no, she’s just happy that Byulyi is friend.  But for real, the whole exchange felt so comfortable, it’s like they've been friends for a long time.  She never felt such an instant connection like this before.  But she suppose if your first meeting with someone involve groping them, youd get close real fast.  

 

Forgetting about her messages to her manager, or her emails, she laid her phone down and slept peacefully, with a gentle smile on her face. 

 

By the time she woke up, it was already past noon.  The first thing she did was check her phone of course, and immediately, a huge smile broke out seeing a message from Byulyi.

 

Good morning :) 

Hopefully you got more sleep than I did

I tried meditating 

Slept like a baby 

I almost missed my alarm lol 

Have a great day unnie! 

 

The last message was sent from 6:50 in the morning, meaning it must be right before she started practicing.  Not being able to wait, Yongsun reply.

 

Good afternoon 

Poor you 

I slept great, just woke up.

Hope you had a great practice :) 

 

With that, Yongsun got up and went about her morning routines, and finally reply to her manager, who was very annoyed but Yongsun couldn’t find it in her to care. 

 

The whole day pass as it normally would, until the evening, as she was preparing to leave the studio, when Byulyi finally texted back. If she scream and lunge for her phone to check the message, well, no one need to know.

 

Lucky you!

I want to sleep in too :(
I’m so tired
I don't even know if i can make it home LOL 

 

Yongsun frown at that.  That doesn’t seem like something to joke about.  She’s worry for the golfer.

 

That’s no laughing matter! 

Do you have anyone to drive you? 

 

Oh no it’s fine unnie! 

i can just crash here

Ive slept in the locker room enough time they don't mind 

 

If anything, Yongsun's frown got bigger.  That really doesn’t seem healthy.

 

Byulyi, you should get home

At least rent a hotel room or something 

 

Nah, it’s fine unnie!

No worries :) 

How was your day?
 

Changing the topic huh? 

Where’s your practice center? 

 

You’re ignoring me :( 

 

So are you 

 

._.

Fine, it’s at ------ center 

 

Oh! That’s right by my house! 

Stay there, i’ll pick you up!  

You can crash at my place

I’ll be there in 15

 

Without even registering what she just offered, she rushed out to her car, throwing her confused manager a quick, “I’ll call tonight!”, and drove to the golf center.

 

On the other side, Byulyi was sitting on the floor, having fun messaging the singer, but now she’s frantically pacing around.  She really doesn’t need to be picked up.  And sleep at Yongsun’s house?  They barely know each other!   Although, admittedly, their ease of conversation feels like they’ve been friends for a long time.  Byulyi never connected with someone so fast before.  Well, maybe except Hyejin, but she doesn’t count.  Hyejin is like a soft little baby, Byulyi felt the need to protect her.  

 

She’s trying to call Yongsun, but the singer is not picking up! .  She hasn’t even showered, she’s all sweaty from practice.  She internally cursed herself for oversharing.  She just wanted to talk to Yongsun more.  

 

Voicemail again.

 

Not knowing what else to do, she decided to go wash up.  She doesn’t want to shower and missed Yongsun’s call or text.  First, Yongsun is coming to pick her up, and she’s making the singer wait?  Yeah, no.  No shower.  She’ll just wipe herself down and change into something clean.  And spray, perhaps, an excessive amount of perfume on.

 

In no time, or maybe it was a long time but she was too in her head to notice, Yongsun arrived. 

 

Hey, i’m outside

Black car

License ------

 

Coming~ 

 

Byul found the car and knocked on the window. Yongsun unlock the car and made a motion for her to open the door.

 

“Hi Unnie!  You really did not have to come. I can just stay here, it’s fine!”   Byul told the singer upon opening the door, wanting to give Yongsun a chance to back out.  A part of her is also hoping Yongsun leave, as she's not ready to sleep at Yongsun’s place.

 

“Nonsense!  You’re the world’s top golfer, you should be sleeping on a fancy bed!  Get in!” 

 

“I - “

 

“Just get in Byul.”

 

“Okay…” Byul got in and buckled up, before turning to the singer, “You can just drop me off at a hotel near here, I can book a room.  I don’t want to inconvenience you.”

 

Yongsun shook her head as she began to drive away to her house, “Why spend money when you can stay for free at my place?  I have a spare room, don't worry about it.”

 

“But - “


“Consider it my sworn duty as a Korean to provide lodging for our sport representative to the world.” 

 

“I - “ Byulyi sighs, knowing Yongsun is not going to back down, “Okay, thank you unnie.”

 

“Good, because we’re here.”  

 

“Already?  I could have just walked here.”

 

“Told you I live nearby! Do you have practice tomorrow?  You can just walk to practice.”