Meeting the Unnie

Happy Accident

Byul can’t sleep.  She has a hard time sleeping in a new environment.  WIth hotels, she can trick her brain into thinking it’s an old environment, because most hotels look relatively the same.  However, she can’t do that here.  She is very clearly in a different place.  In Yongsun’s guest room. 

 

It’s crazy how she got to be here.  If you had told her this morning, that she’d be sleeping in Yongsun’s house, she’ll think someone is pranking her.  

 

Honestly, she still have a hard time believing it. 

 

Yongsun was very free and open, showing her around her person place, including her bedroom.  The only place she didn’t let Byulyi into was her sister’s room.  Which brought up a whole new set of panic.  

 

“Will - does your sister know i’m here?”

 

“It’s fine, don’t worry about her.”

 

“But she also live here, i dont want -” 

 

“She brings her friends over all the time, it’s time I bring some of mine.” 

Yongsun stated in a way that tells Byul to just shut up, she’s sleeping here tonight, so stop trying to argue.

 

Yeah, so that happened.  Then Yongsun ask about her schedule tomorrow.

 

“What time is your practice.”

 

“Ah - same time, at 7.”

 

The singer hums before acknowledging, “I probably won’t be awake that early.  Just, make yourself some breakfast,” 

 

she gesture to the kitchen, “Make yourself at home.  Eat whatever you want.  I don't want you to be hungry during practice.” 

 

Byulyi open only to be cut off once again.

 

“And you can just lock up once you leave.  Don’t worry about cleaning up or whatever.” 

 

“Unnie…This is too much, i can just - “

 

“Aish Byulyi, just accept it.”

 

The golfer stay silence, feeling out of place.  Yongsun sense it and she brought Byulyi to the guest room, letting her retire for the night and thus, giving the girl some personal space. 

 

“Good night! Text me if you need anything!” 

 

Byulyi nod with a small smile, knowing full well she’d rather burn alive then to inconvenience Yongsun even more.  

 

“Good night unnie, thank you for this.” 

 

She went to take a quick shower in the private bathroom, now she’s alone in this guest room, laying on this bed.  She’s afraid to even turn, what if the bed makes noise, and the walls are thin, and it wakes everyone up? 

 

Oh great, her anxiety is through the roof again.  Why did she have to think of that.

 

Byulyi sighed and got up from the bed, giving up on sleep for the night.  Maybe just resting her eyes.  

 

She quietly lay down on the ground and tries her best to calm her mind enough to get some rest.

Surprisingly, she actually manage to sleep, only to be rudely awaken by her alarm at 5.  

 

She jolt awake and quickly turn off the loud alarm, looking a bit lost before remembering how she got here.  

 

Normally, she’s up at 5 for some morning stretches, then a small breakfast, before she’s off to practice.  Her place is a bit far from practice, so she normally leave at 6:00, but Yongsun’s place is very near the golf center, so she can walk there at 6:45 and still make it.  Which gives her some time to make some breakfast for her host.  

 

So after her morning routine, she tip toe out to the kitchen with the intention of making breakfast for Yongsun and her sister.  

 

She’s not sure if they’re allergic to anything, but considering this is their house, if they are allergic, they probably won’t have that ingredient in stock.  Hopefully.  That’s logical to deduct right? 

 

Shaking her head, Byul, as quietly as possible, rummage through the cabinets and refrigerator, trying to decide what to make them.

 

She see some meat and tofu, so decided to make a light beef soup, with steamed tofu in soy garlic sauce; something hearty yet light for the morning.  

 

This may come as a surprise to many people, but Byulyi is a really good cook.  Being the oldest sibling, she often had to cook for her siblings while her parents were away for work.  Then once she started traveling for tournaments, she really miss Korean food, so she hone her skill even more as she cook herself Korean food when away from home.

 

Humming silently to herself, she focus on the food, tasting as she goes along, unaware of her audience.  

 

When Yonghee came into the kitchen to get some of her skin care product from the refrigerator to prepare for work, she stop dead in her track seeing a handsome stranger in her kitchen, making food.

 

Immediately, she assume they’re one of her sister’s friend, but then frown, her sister only ever bring Wheein over, and Wheein is normally sleeping away from a heavy night of drinking.  

 

But this person is definitely not a thief, unless this thief is a breakfast making thief…a hungry thief? A very handsome well dressed thief. 

 

“Um…hello?” 

 

The friend/thief frooze midway to bringing a spoon to .  She looks up at Yonghee wide eyes like she been caught doing something she shouldn't have.  

 

Not a thief.  Because Yonghee knows that face.  She’s been seeing it everywhere on the news, as all network is raving about this young superstar golfer.  

 

How the hell does her little sister know Byulyi? 

 

“HI?”  She asks again when she didn’t get an answer.

 

Byulyi snaps back into focus.  She quickly put down the spoon and gave the girl, who she assume is the older sister, a deep bow and stuttering out her greeting. 

 

“Hello!  I’m Moon Byul Yi.  Your sister um.. Yongsun-unnie - she uh -  let me stay over last night…sorry..did i wake you?” 

 

“No, i’m awake for work. I’m Yonghee, Yongsun’s older sister.”

 

“Nice to meet you!”  Byulyi bow again and stood there quite awkwardly. 

 

Yonghee was amused.  She didn’t expect this great and confident golfer to be so shy.   The older girl took initiative to ease the tension, 

 

“What are you making?”

 

“Oh uh - just some - um - beef soup and steamed tofu, for Yongsun-unnie and you.”

 

“Me?”

 

“As a thank you for letting me stay the night.” 

 

Yonghee quick an eyebrow in amusement, “I didn’t even know you were here, but you're welcome I guess.”  

 

“Ah - well - “ 

 

“Can i get to the refrigerator?  Or are you one of those people that doesn’t let anyone into the kitchen when you’re cooking?” 

 

Byulyi jump out the way, face red, “Oh yeah of course!  Sorry!”

 

The older one laugh as she head to get her skin care things, “Relax, you’re way too tense.  How are you so confident on the golf course?” 

 

Chuckling in embarrassment, Byulyi shyly reply, “I don't have to talk to people or be near them when i’m on the course..” 

 

Yonghee pause with the refrigerator door still open and turns back to look at the gold, “Oh my god, is that why you play golf?  To be away from people??” 

 

The girl only gave a shy shrug in reply.

 

“Oh my god.  Wow.  You’re like, the best golfer in the world…because you want to avoid people?” 

 

Gaining more confidence at the light banter, and the fact that she’s back to cooking, and thus, focusing on something else, she reply, “No actually, I have to talk more as the winner.  I would have prefer staying in the middle.  Good enough to make money, bad enough to be overlook.” 

 

“Oh wow,”  Yonghee shook her head, not expecting that answer, “let me guess, you didn’t expect to win your first match, and once you did, suddenly, you can’t just throw it away, all the expectation right?”

 

“Nope.”

 

“Hm?  Then why stay on top?”

 

“I discover i really like money.” 

 

Yonghee threw her head back in laughter, that’s even more unexpected than previously. 

 

“You’re hilarious!”  

 

“I’m serious.”

 

“I know!  That’s what makes it so funny!” 

 

Byulyi just smile, happy to make light of the mood. 

 

“I’m almost done with breakfast, please have some before work.”


“Oh yeah, I’ll have some after I change.  You’re staying?” 

 

“Ah no, I’ll clean up then i’ll head out.  I have early morning practice.”

 

“You’re not going to eat?”

 

“I have my own breakfast, i’m on a rigid nutrition plan unfortunately.” 

 

Yonghee made a gross out face, “That .  I know sometime Yongsun have to do those too, i always avoid her when she’s on those, she gets so cranky.” 

 

“I totally get her.  I can only eat so many boil chicken before i want to chuck it at my trainer’s head.”

 

“Hahaha you’re funny.  Alright, i’m gonna change, if I don't see you when i’m done, thanks for the breakfast!” 

 

“Of course!” 

 

With yonghee out the kitchen, Byulyi refocus on her food, making sure everything taste great before she plate them, and set them out onto the table for the Yong sisters.  

 

Even in the short 5 minutes of meeting Yonghee, Byulyi understand how Yongsun is so open.  Her sister is even more open, and really just went with the flow.  She wonders if the rest of Yongsun’s family is like that too.  

 

After cleaning up, and there’s not much to clean up, as Byulyi learn to clean up as she goes, rather than waiting to clean up all at once after cooking, she grab a pen and wrote down all the ingredient she uses for the sisters to see, wanting to avoid causing any possible allergic reaction.  

 

With that, she picked up her bag and left, locking the door behind her.