Broken Hearts

Second Chance

 

 

Flashback.

It was Yong Hwa’s first day in Busan High. He went home with Jong Hyun, Jung Shin and Min Hyuk still depressed after being turned down by Shin Hye.

“Cheer up guys! What do you want me to do to lessen what you feel? I’ll treat you to noraebang! Sing your hearts out! After all, we’re going to be a soon-to-be famous band right? C’mon!”

“Mianhae Yong Hwa. We’re not in the mood right now.” Min Hyuk and Jong Hyun said looking at the floor.

“You really want us to be ok?” Jung Shin asked him with a meaningful look.

He nodded like a child.

“Then make her fall for you.”

“Mwo?”

“You heard me.”

“But that’s… not a good idea. And, why me?”

“He’s right, Jung Shin. This isn’t good.” Min Hyuk was pleading. Jung Shin didn’t mind him.

“Because I saw her blushing while she was being teased with you by Min Ah. We never saw her like that before. Even with Dong Hae sunbae.”

“Mwo? Who is Dong Hae? And how sure are you that she acted differently?”

“Forget about him. Are you in?”

Yong Hwa didn’t answered.

“I thought we’re friends? And friends will comfort each other and help them in times of need. We need you Yong Hwa-ya. Now.”

“But…”

“C’mon! This is just a piece of cake. You used to be the heartbreaker in your previous school.”

“I’m not! I just haven’t had my eyes on a single girl in that school. They’re boring.”

“Well, Shin Hye’s not. Besides, you love challenges, right? How about this one? Just give it a shot.”

“You don’t have to, Yong.” Jong Hyun said with sincerity but Jung Shin snapped him.

“Stop it, hyung! Well then, maybe Yong Hwa is a gay that’s why he didn’t have a girlfriend in his previous school.”

“I am not!”

“You are.”

“I AM NOT!!!”

“Then do it. It won’t cost anything.”

There was silence. He straightened himself up.

“Arasseo. Challenge Accepted. A million won is at stake.”

“Good. You’re really crazy over bets!”

 

End of flashback.

 

 “I told you Jung Shin! We shouldn’t have told Yong Hwa to make her fall for him then break her heart for a million won!” Min Hyuk tries to argue with Jung Shin.

“Oh well. Past is past and I’ve already said sorr…” Jung Shin talked back to Min Hyuk but then he was snapped by his question.

“Hyung, is it just me or is someone sobbing?” Min Hyuk asked Jong Hyun with trembling knees.

“Aish! You’re just hallucinating, “scaredy cat”! Let’s go home now.” Jung Shin answered the question with irritation.

“I hope everything will be ok.” Jong Hyun said before they left the restroom.

Min Hyuk was right. Someone is crying. It was Shin Hye. She couldn’t believe what she just heard. It felt like a knife was stabbed right on her heart.

“A million won? Am I really worth just like that?! How could you, Yong Hwa-ya!”

She stayed there just crying. She wanted to cry, forever. But then, she has to meet him. And so, she wiped her face and composed herself, walked out of the men’s CR as if nothing happened. Little did she know, the three guys saw her. Their eyes widened.

“Uh-oh.”

***

She went to the place, and saw Yong Hwa holding a bouquet of fresh flowers. He kissed her on the cheek and handed her the flowers. They sat down.

"Shin hye, there's something you need to know."

Shin hye cut him by telling him she knew about the bet already.

“You made a bet with your friends about me falling for you, right?” She gave him a smirk.

"You're not mad? And… How did you know?" He asked her worriedly.

"Ani. I was just shocked. It doesn’t matter where it came from. I just realized that boys will always be boys." preventing tears to fall on her face.

He looked at her with curiosity. His eyes couldn’t believe what he sees. She looks perfectly fine.

She patted his shoulder and continued, "So, you wanted to win that's why you asked me out, right?" pretending to sound normal.

There was silence. Yong Hwa was surprised.

"Ani. I just realized something…"

She snapped at him saying, "That you felt sorry for what you did?"

"Yes, and that I wanted to tell you..."

Yong Hwa was again interrupted by Shin Hye because she tapped his shoulder again.

"It's alright. I'm fine. Just don't do it again, ok?" She said faking a laugh.

She looked at her watch, giving him a hint that she needed to go somewhere important.

"Shin hye-ya, what's wrong?" Yong asked even more worried than earlier.

"Mianhae, Yong Hwa. I have to go. I remembered I promised my dad to go visit my Harabeoji in the hospital. He was admitted yesterday because he collapsed due to his flu."

"Jinja? How is he?", he asked worriedly. "He's fine now. He just need to take a rest."

"I'll take you to the hospital. Where is he admitted?"

"Ani. No need. I'll walk first. Goodbye Yong Hwa."

"Shin Hye-ya, are you sure you can go by yourself? You seem really down while coming here."

"I'm fine. Don't worry about me." she told him with a stern voice.

"Arasseo." He answered sadly.

 He was sure she was making sobs while trailing off from where they are. But it seemed that he is glued from his place. He can only look at her with an apologetic face.

"Shin Hye-ya, I liked you. I really liked you.”

But she wasn’t able to hear it. She was too far now. Besides, all Shin Hye can hear is her sobbing and the sound of swaying leaves as if they wanted to pat her back and comfort her.

 

 

Author's Note: I know this really made you sad. Plus the fact that I'm not updating as fast as before. But please, hang on and continue reading. T.T

Just like what Patrick Star said, "Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not yet ok, then it's not yet the end." :)